• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Ultra wide support, huh? Interesting. So strange to add this how many years later, in addition to removing that outdated DRM.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I wish they'd officially patch in the ability to use EX costumes in RE6 campaigns.

As of right now, the only release with that as an official option is the goddamn Switch port, of all things.

Jan 11, 2018
The only mod that matters for this game to me is:

llk754neji941.jpg

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Capcom seem to be pretty good with supporting their games. Of course it probaly helps that RE 5 probably still sells quite a bit. They even remove denuvo after they're done releasing dlc for a game.
I love the new more zoomed out camera!

llk754neji941.jpg

I dunno, I kinda feels this takes away the visual style of the game.

Jan 11, 2018
I dunno, I kinda feels this takes away the visual style of the game.

To each their own. I think seeing everything in more natural colours makes the game more visually appealing. Especially if you've already played through the full thing at least once before. I personally feel like having everything look closer to how you would have perceived it IRL makes it creepier. A bit like how silence can be more effective than scary music.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That's pretty cool. Remember the GFWL being such a headache to go around that a friend and I have just kept it installed after our co-op replay a few years ago. Hopefully this doesn't break it...

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yup, ultrawide works flawlessly:

Resident_Evil_5_Screenshot_2023.02.28_-_11.54.03.85.png

Also split-screen has no limits lmao:

Resident_Evil_5_Screenshot_2023.02.28_-_11.57.47.67.png

You can change the split-screen mode in System settings though:

Resident_Evil_5_Screenshot_2023.02.28_-_12.00.18.31.png
Wouldn't the best thing for ultrawide resolutions is side by side each player getting a 4:3 screen (in 21:9) or each getting their own 16:9 screen? At least as an option?

I guess you do get a 16:9 aspect ratio in the bottom screen, but it is still smaller than what it could be if both screens could take advantage of the full height of the screen.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Does this remove the GFWL beta branch? Frustrating if so, I'm mid playthrough using it

Jinjo

Nov 12, 2017
Holy fuck finally. I wanted to buy it on PC for so long but never did due to GFWL bs.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Maybe they'll remember to circle back to ORC since they promised to take care of that one back in November and never bothered updating beyond that.

llk754neji941.jpg
I hated the proliferation of "piss filters" during the seventh generation but RE5 is just one of those games that feels wrong without it.

While one could reasonably argue it only adds to the shitty and problematic depiction of West Africa by making everything look dreary and oppressive, in the broader context of the game, it contributes to the bleak atmosphere and covers up a lot of the visual imperfections. I'd argue that once you see things unobstructed by the color grading, some of the luster on those gorgeous visuals starts to wears off and the cracks start to show.

Even still, I'll never fully discourage mods like this because, as I said, it does go a bit of a ways in bringing some life back to the woefully grim depiction of West Africa. I say all this as someone who considers RE5 one of their favorite games of all time (top five) and their favorite RE too. The way the setting is handled is just such a tone-deaf and racist nightmare. There are other threads about that though…

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Neat. Playing all the way through the RE5 campaign via couch co-op was one of my personal gaming highlights of the PS3 era.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Oh damn, using the whole screen and everything! It was massively letterboxed back on 360 because they clearly couldn't run it any 'bigger'

RysultSet

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice! Always disliked that it didn't allow splitscreen local co-op by default, despite the underlying stuff being there.
Major props to Capcom for this.

Yup, ultrawide works flawlessly:

Resident_Evil_5_Screenshot_2023.02.28_-_11.54.03.85.png

Also split-screen has no limits lmao:

Resident_Evil_5_Screenshot_2023.02.28_-_11.57.47.67.png

You can change the split-screen mode in System settings though:

Resident_Evil_5_Screenshot_2023.02.28_-_12.00.18.31.png
Dang, that's rad (especially the option to get the vanilla boxed splitscreen look).
Here's hoping it's not just 21:9, but other, more niche ultrawide aspect ratios as well, like 32:9 or 24:10.
Still, incredible for Capcom to do an update like it, this late.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Is this for the original version, or the GOLD edition as well?

If I recall correctly the later was released on PC down the road
some extra characters for the mercenaries & the DLC from the original game

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I did some testing with the new patch. I'm glad they fixed some bugs that has existed for many years, but I wish they had also fixed the bugs that lead to enemies getting stuck around corners (can happen to the player too). I didn't test many mods, but most of them should work fine. The biggest thing is that trainers aren't compatible, but it's expected that trainers lose compatibility when a game is patched.

ADDITIONS:
- Split screen support
- FOV setting
- Auto-QTEs
- GFWL removed

FIXED:
- Leaderboards showing wrong country flags (they also fully reset leaderboards)
- Invite to Private lobby being broken
- Being able to lose starting weapon in Survivors

NOT FIXED:
- Collision next to corners (more likely at higher framerates), affects player and enemies
- Black outlines when anti-aliasing is turned on
- Can't trade weapons with AI partner
- Region locked matchmaking
- Player size or position snaps at the start and end of ladder animation (happens with Josh, Rebecca, and Barry)

...I thought they removed GFWL from the game years ago? Am I missing something?
GFWL was still there so you could import saves from your GFWL install of the game.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, never thought they would touch this again lol

IIRC, they patched it out, then messed up and brought it back in so people could transfer saves, and the only way you could play without it again was a fan patch. Weird shit, glad it's fixed.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I did some testing with the new patch. I'm glad they fixed some bugs that has existed for many years, but I wish they had also fixed the bugs that lead to enemies getting stuck around corners (can happen to the player too). I didn't test many mods, but most of them should work fine. The biggest thing is that trainers aren't compatible, but it's expected that trainers lose compatibility when a game is patched.

ADDITIONS:
- Split screen support
- FOV setting
- Auto-QTEs
- GFWL removed

FIXED:

NOT FIXED:
- Collision next to corners (more likely at higher framerates), affects player and enemies
- Player size or position snaps at the start and end of ladder animation (happens with Josh, Rebecca, and Barry)

GFWL was still there so you could import saves from your GFWL install of the game.

So the fanmade patch still better.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Any working Dualshock 4/Playstation buttons mod for RE5? I only found shady residentevilmodding.boards.net site which is blocked by Chrome lol

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe

ADDITIONS:
- Split screen support
- FOV setting
- Auto-QTEs
- GFWL removed

FIXED:

NOT FIXED:

Thanks for this!
Region lock remaining is very disappointing. Will have to wait for fan patches to handle this update then...