• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

I have to double check how much they've sold just for this FY.

At the end of the last FY, RE7 was at 3.5M.

At the end of the 1st Quarter of this FY it was at 3.7M.

At the end of this 2nd Quarter it is at 4.1M.

So they have sold 600k of their current 2 million sales forecast.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hope the Gold Edition gives the game the boost it needs. I found it to be quite enjoyable and hope it can find an even larger audience among survival horror fans.

I do admit that the game kinda starts to get weak toward the end though, probably the last 1/5 of the game or so I'd say.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Great. Hope it hits the target at a good price. I think they can make it with the DLC. Dont expect a horror heavy RE anymore, though. The market has changed significantly.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please for the love of god, let the Gold Edition ignite a grand sales boom.

RE7 was fantastic. If RE8 retreats on the formula, I'll cry.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 and 5 PS4/XBO have finally crossed the line to 1 million copies sold, which took over a year. RE6 PS4/XBO is at 1.2 million, up from 1.1 million last quarter.

PS3/360/PC version Resident Evil 6 is up to 7 million copies, while RE5 is at 7.2. (No move since last quarter for RE5? Odd.) That means RE6 has sold 8.2 million copies, but RE5 is more complicated due to the RE5 Gold thing. So RE5 is naturally ahead by quite a bit, and Capcom have always struggled to count RE4 sales accurately. So it's a toss up between RE5 and RE4 being the best selling RE games.

Basically they seem to sell around 100k of these major releases each quarter, depending on the game. Some seem to sell better.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
RE 7 was an amazing experience from beginning to end. I played it with a friend but will most likely buy my own copy when the complete edition comes out, as I'd love to go back for more. I really hope Capcom readjusts expectations for RE 8 and budgets accordingly, rather than giving up on this great new direction for the franchise.

New Chris is whack, though.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently selling at this pace + Upcoming DLC + Gold Edition = forecast will likely be reached. Great performance for the game of the generation.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hahahaha. Cacpcom is going to be delusion if they think they can reach that 2 million projection number anytime soon.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Like others, I hope it picks up as it's a fantastic game and I want it to do well. But I think it might make its 2 million sales goal, both with Gold Edition releasing very soon and two big expansions for RE7, one of which is free for all owners of RE7 and the other which was directed by one of the lead designers of P.T., to get RE7 back in the spotlight some again.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Please for the love of god, let the Gold Edition ignite a grand sales boom.

RE7 was fantastic. If RE8 retreats on the formula, I'll cry.
This so much; the game is wonderful, if somehow a bit flawed. It deserves more sales. I wonder if, in some way, being marketed as a VR focused game in a market that isn't really VR saturated yet may of hurt sales. I could be way off base, but it seems notable.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
I played this in VR at a friend's house last night. I was very, very impressed... I've tried many games and demos on Vive and PSVR before but nothing came close to the impact that RE7 had on me. I've strongly felt that all VR experiences I've tried suffered from the low resolution of the displays, but that somehow didn't detract much from RE7. The aesthetics and art direction kind of worked in "low res", and reminded me of the first RE on PS1 in a way.

I need a wider FOV and higher resolution before I put down the asking price for the hardware though. Can't wait for next gen VR honestly.

This game deserves to sell well, it looked like a polished piece of work from what I've seen. Interestingly when I played the demo on a regular PS4 on a monitor few months back it did nothing for me. I thought it didn't look or feel like RE at all, but in VR I felt the opposite was true.

Last edited:

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
@ RE7

This means that their initial launch target was 4 million, they did 3.5 in the period

3.5 million / 4/0 million

They expect to sell another 2 million subsequently. and sold 600k for this quarter.

4.1 million / 6.0 million

Make of what you will.

Some golden lines from the report

"In this business, Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) Nintendo Switch Ver. (for Nintendo Switch) performed strongly, while Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC), which targets the European and US markets, was released in September"

How could a game that only crawled to 200k now is "strong", I wonder what their internal forecast was for this was...

In addition to Ultra Street Fighter II The Final Challengers (for Nintendo Switch) turning out to be a smash hit,

Two questions
1) Who the hell still brought this
2) Are they all using Evil Ryu and Violent Ken?

This was the only game described as a "Smash Hit" in this report.

The net sales from Other Businesses, mainly consisting of royalty income from the licensing and sale of character merchandise, were 1,080 million yen (up 12.3% from the same term in the previous year) and operating income was 571 million yen (up 44.5% from the same term in the previous year)

The real reason why they dragged out Megaman's corpse at TGS this year.

Last edited:

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Resident Evil (HD Remastered) – 2.1 now (was 1.9 million units)
RE6 (PS4, Xbox One, DL) – 1.2 million
RE4 (PS4, Xbox One, DL) – 1 million
RE5 (PS4, Xbox One, DL) – 1 million

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I think RE7 Gold Edition being $50 is going to hamper its sales.
Granted that it includes the DLC, but I think average consumer won't find that big of a value in it, and would just look at the actual price itself and decides that $50 isn't much of a budget pricing.

Oct 25, 2017
In the report , they mentioned that " Resident Evil 7 biohazard, released in our previous fiscal year, surpassed 4 million cumulative units shipped " so i guess they added the gold edition pre-order shipments to it instead of a separate entry

Last edited:

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
From Capcom's wording regarding USF2 and MHXX sales, it's painfully clear that they absolutely believed that Switch was going to be WiiU 2.0.
They basically didn't believe either of those titles could sell in any volume.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not bad for Resident evil. Hope it keeps selling.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And RE7 continues to do poorly.

And apparently the only thing that Capcom can say about MvCI is to confirm that it exists.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gold Edition will boost sales next month but reaching that 2 mil goal seems like a losing battle.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This number would be good for the genre, but it's not impressive for the Resident Evil series or for the company's expectations.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Strong sales for MH XX". How much they expected to sell less than 50,000 ?

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
RE7 on PSVR

LfNWhU1yG55jeJtEWlH7_Rq9IUg77rCg6W2s0mkhppQ6KeJK1fIXhRwDv_vQsxEuqSD8kpqOhsuL9Oj-MXErg0VzNWrd5ldSw_BkcxkYQm_hRsp0dJgAUhZBaqVngpQVXbIPbNYscYAL6waUNYnYSnKuxhX81xYD7l0cGceojlZz3v4RpNQ=w470-h313-nc

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
That MvCI line is hilarious and the wording they use for the Switch stuff is telling.

I don't see RE7 hitting it's forcast and Capcom has completely screwed up their fighting game line yet again.

2,5 million looks possible with the release of the Arcade Edition.

Also, operating income for the first half ot the fiscal year is up 191.5% Year-Over-Year despite Marvel's flop (5 billion yen for H1)
Arcade Edition won't have the demand to push sells like than in less than two months if ever.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Funny how RE6 and RE7 ended up meeting their initial sales goals in the exact same quarter. One 5 years after release, the other half a year later.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another crowd pleaser

In the Pachinko & Pachislo sub-segment, recent changes in the model-testing methods have had a significant impact, and the newly-launched Resident Evil: Revelations performed weakly as a result.

The REAL Resident Evil BOMBA.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 7: Bombahazard. :P

Not sure if this is new but I just noticed that Resident Evil 6 has been updated to 7.0 million units on Capcom's Platinum Titles page. IIRC it was previously 6.8 million units.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
Probably from Steam summer sales and that Capcom Humble Bundle, which would have boosted a lot of these games a bit. I don't imagine the PS3/360 versions are pulling major numbers anymore. The PS4/XBO versions are listed separately.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Strong sales for MH XX". How much they expected to sell less than 50,000 ?
It's a port of an upgraded rerelease of another 3DS fourth generation game. Which already sets a low bar.

And Capcom seems to have been under the mistaken impression that the Switch would be another Wii U.

Oct 27, 2017
Arcade Edition won't have the demand to push sells like than in less than two months if ever.

I was not thinking about this fiscal year especially, but 2,5 million on the long term does not seems crazy to me. SFV add 200K during the last quarter, coming back in stores with a fresh retail box is definitly going to boost something more.

Oct 25, 2017

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
I think after the holidays Ultra Street Fighter II may be a million seller. Why mention it again in this quarter report unless it's still having great legs.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I guess there was some Steam sales for Dead Rising 3 ? Because the game is up to 2,5 million from 2,3 million. Also, last chance for Dead Rising 4 to join the Platinum Titles this quarter with the PS4 release.

I think after the holidays Ultra Street Fighter II may be a million seller. Why mention it again in this quarter report unless it's still having great legs.

I don't know about legs but the comments in the report are for the last 6 months, not just the last quarter.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Probably from Steam summer sales and that Capcom Humble Bundle, which would have boosted a lot of these games a bit. I don't imagine the PS3/360 versions are pulling major numbers anymore. The PS4/XBO versions are listed separately.
Yeah, you're probably right. It's nice to see it continue to sell well despite the negative reception it received.