• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
latest

A recent press statement has come out from Capcom in regards with this installement of the series, with Resident Evil 7 now surpassing Resident Evil 2 as the most successful single player survival horror focused entry in the series to date.

RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard Wins Best VR Audio at 2018 G.A.N.G. Awards

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard (RESIDENT EVIL 7) for PlayStation®4, Xbox One and Windows PC, won the award for Best VR Audio at the 2018 Game Audio Network Guild Awards (G.A.N.G. Awards).

RESIDENT EVIL 7 builds upon the Resident Evil series' roots of fear, exploration and tense atmosphere. The full game is available to play via the included optional PlayStation®VR Mode for the PS4 version. In order to provide an overwhelming, deeply immersive horror experience, the game's system underwent a dramatic shift from its previous third-person camera to a new first-person perspective, helping to drive sales of the title to 5.1 million units* worldwide. Further, in December 2017 Capcom released Resident Evil 7 biohazard Gold Edition, a complete set featuring the main game as well as all Season Pass content. *As of March 31, 2018

G.A.N.G. Awards are selected by the game audio industry and members of the Game Audio Network Guild, and recognize achievements in game music and sound effects. RESIDENT EVIL 7 was judged against other VR games before winning the award for Best VR Audio, garnering praise for blending creativity with technological prowess via its use of extended technique with string instruments, sound effects recorded at the company's Foley stage and by utilizing the Yamaha Corporation's ViReal™ stereophonic sound technology.

Sound design on RESIDENT EVIL 7 made use of Capcom's fully equipped Foley stage to produce sound effects that enhanced the characteristics of enemy characters as well as fear-inducing environmental sounds, and even in composing the game's musical score. Capcom maintains its development environment at the cutting edge of technology in order to fulfill the company's commitment to creating the world's most entertaining games, a stance that lead to developing the REMM (Resident Evil Music Module), a proprietary audio tool that runs on Native Instruments' Kontakt engine and allows for easier layering of tones and effect control. Further, Capcom is continuing to bolster the quality of its sound production, and in April of 2018 opened a second sound studio at its R&D headquarters in Osaka capable of recording and refining 3D audio.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

Article here

This is great news considering this was wholly single player in a very interesting market where GAAS/multiplayer are more successful sales and how recent sequels to fresh IPs not performing as well. This alone shows how strong the Resident Evil brand is even today and continues to bring innovation and good recognition among million of users.

Merged SKUs (from Capcom Platinum Page)

1-) Resident Evil 5 - 10.6M
2-) Resident Evil 6 - 8.4M
3-) Resident Evil 4 - 7M
4-) Resident Evil 7 - 5.1M
5-) Resident Evil - 5M
6-) Resident Evil 2 - 4.9M
7-) Resident Evil 3 - 3.5M
7-) Resident Evil Remake - 3.5M
8-) Resident Evil 0 - 3M
9-) Resident Evil CV - 2.5M
9-) Resident Evil ORC - 2.5M
10-) Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 2.3M​

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. A very good and fresh entry that made sure the series wouldn't end on a sour note.

Levito

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best entry since Re4, well earned. Incredible rebund for a series that had lost it's way.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So they missed expectations by about 400K.

First fiscal year:
4 million expected
3.5 million shipped

Second fiscal year:
2 million expected
1.6 million shipped

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good no more of that tps shooter garbage like 4,5,6. Too bad re2 remake is a tps based on the rumors.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Great result. Wasn't the best Resident Evil game in my opinion but I still thought it was quite enjoyable and was much better than 6.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Good decisions get rewarded. Though I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried that it would beat out RE6...

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Absolutely love RE7, one of the best in the series and still one of my favourites of this gen. As usual, Capcom's expectations were a bit too high, but still a big success that they should be proud of.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the success of RE7 and Monster Hunter World allows Capcom to create other interesting projects from their IPs. Breath of Fire and Onimusha please.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
If VR comes to PC it should surely get a nice boon in sales.

RE7 in vr is my 2017 GOTY. After Zelda, Horizon and Mario for context.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it keeps selling, because I want another entry in this style. What a great game.

Glad for this but I've been reading for years about how this game didn't meet expectations. So are half of these bombs bin sales? Or is that just in Japan and it did really well everywhere else?

You haven't been reading this for years, because the game only launched around 14 months ago.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad for Capcom but this is sad news for me. :(

As much as I love the OG trilogy, after RE4, action RE is my preferred RE. Nowadays survival horrors just bore me to death and RE7 was not an exception.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It deserves the success. Capcom finally delivered with RE7 and MHW. Excited to see what they are working on next.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As much as I love the OG trilogy, after RE4, action RE is my preferred RE. Nowadays survival horrors just bore me to death and RE7 was not an exception.

Action RE is probably not dead. Those games sell extremely well for the most part. 5 and 6 sold better than 7.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Good, Resident Evil 7 is my new favorite in the franchise because it really pushes itself into straight horror more than any other in the franchise. I would love for the next couple titles to be of similar tone and style.

Also I've been championing it since my ability to post here and will never shut up about it, but the VR component in this game sold me on VR as a tech and made this game one of my favorite games of all time solely for that reason.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No need for that. Action RE is still king and this game is missing their expectations. :p Action RE will come back.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Again this game was wholly single player and made in fair development time with significant less amount of staff versus with how Resident Evil 6 was made. Add the sales to date and the benefits of the digital market space increasing from last gen, the game is highly profitable and a huge success for Capcom.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Please try for better first posts in the future.

5 and 6 still higher right since they are saying SP?

I changed the title to better represent the milestone.
In terms of merged SKUs this is still the list

For Merged SKUs

3-) Resident Evil 4 - 7M
5-) Resident Evil - 5M
8-) Resident Evil 0 - 3M
10-) Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 2.3M

So RE7 is the highest selling Survival-Horror title.
RE4 is the highest selling single player title
RE5 is the all-time best selling title

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
OP, how did you make the distinction of "survival horror"? the press release doesn't make the distinction, and why did you decide to classify entries you didn't deem to be survival horror that were more successful as such?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank Christ Almighty.

This game has two trends we need more of: RE games with an appropriately spooky atmosphere and VR horror.

Really hope there's a VR follow-up planned.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear it.

Has some definite things to improve upon in the next one (like better enemy variety) but hope they stick with the new formula.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it can beat at least one of the tps game but the tps games were also released 50 different times (exaggerating).

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Please try for better first posts in the future.

I changed the title to better represent the milestone.
In terms of merged SKUs this is still the list

For Merged SKUs

3-) Resident Evil 4 - 7M
5-) Resident Evil - 5M
8-) Resident Evil 0 - 3M
10-) Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 2.3M

So RE7 is the highest selling Survival-Horror title.
RE4 is the highest selling single player title
RE5 is the all-time best selling title
I think you're going to confuse some people since RE4-RE6 were still marketed as survival horror games.