• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Resident Evil community,
This just came in the mail. i ordered this immediately after you were talking about it: i'm so excited, thanks for the talk back then about this game:
fzUss5Ul.jpg

UlTcl4ul.jpg

bLaVHRKl.jpg

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Deep Fear is a crazy game. It can be a bit rough around the edges and it probably outdoes the original Resident Evil in sheer cheese value, but it's substantial and somewhat unique. If I recall, it's more of an action game than the classic RE games, but it's still fun.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
So I was browsing through siliconera today, and they had an article about this game that just came out recently called Prototype Mansion, which is a homage to the early RE games, including a low poly count style heh (that honestly kind of a eyesore here). Looks like it is only the first chapter currently for $2, with a anthology setup. Kind of interested.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
So I was browsing through siliconera today, and they had an article about this game that just came out recently called Prototype Mansion, which is a homage to the early RE games, including a low poly count style heh (that honestly kind of a eyesore here). Looks like it is only the first chapter currently for $2, with a anthology setup. Kind of interested.

This is really, really goofy haha.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From what I've read it's not very good, but may make for a good nostalgia trip I suppose

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks real nice. I didn't know that Japanese Sega Saturn cases looked the a lot like the PAL and JPN PS1 cases.
Yeah they were usually standard cd jewel cases or multi disc double sized jewel cases. Really nice on a shelf and many had English spines on one side.

Wow that's uh... lol

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE5 has the best soundtrack and I don't even need link to them cos everyone knows what tracks would be linked.

That said, Revelations has an almost as great soundtrack, especially the main theme.

Last edited:

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
RE5 has the best soundtrack and I don't even need link to them cos everyone knows what tracks would be linked.

That said, Revelations has an almost as great soundtrack, especially the main theme.
Most of RE5 is pretty decent ambiance and battle tracks but yeah some of later boss themes are unffffff

Never played Revelations but I like what I've heard of the OST

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is still the best soundtrack for me, the score with bio G is the best composition I've heard. God that time in the late 90s had some incredible scores.

Resident Evil 3 has the most oppressive soundtrack out of them all with the escalation of being hunted and desperation to escape the city

Capcom was at their A game big time then.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think Resident Evil Outbreak of all things between File #1 & #2 has the best soundtrack in the whole series, followed by Darkside Chronicles.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deep Fear is a crazy game. It can be a bit rough around the edges and it probably outdoes the original Resident Evil in sheer cheese value, but it's substantial and somewhat unique. If I recall, it's more of an action game than the classic RE games, but it's still fun.
thanks, i haven't booted it up yet bc i was repairing a CRT (first time opening it up) but just finished soldering and demoing it with resident evil:

Looks real nice. I didn't know that Japanese Sega Saturn cases looked the a lot like the PAL and JPN PS1 cases.
i've yet to play any PAL games but i always thought they got cooler looking stuff vs. US... i guess PAL follows JYP stuff in design.packaging more than the US.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think Resident Evil Outbreak of all things between File #1 & #2 has the best soundtrack in the whole series, followed by Darkside Chronicles.

Lots of amazing composers worked on that. The theme is timeless.

As someone pointed out recently, the Outbreak theme is yet another example of Capcom ripping off others work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Yj5oPgnXo&t=1m4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc671bo3fbw&t=1m2s

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
As someone pointed out recently, the Outbreak theme is yet another example of Capcom ripping off others work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Yj5oPgnXo&t=1m4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc671bo3fbw&t=1m2s

While this does happen and Capcom has definitely done this, in this specific case I honestly believe it's coincidence. The chords are completely different, but their both a general an orchestral rise then fall, but how both do it are different enough I think they just sound a bit similar, and frankly outside of that one bit neither song sound entirely too much like the other.

While many people will think of Outbreak's Main Theme, I also just mean the general soundtrack of the game as well. I think Outbreak all together has a pretty great soundtrack.

I love a loto f the downtime music in Outbreak, but outside of the main theme these two songs are the music with the most views on YouTube if you search up the game's OST:

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Outbreak theme is so fucking good that it made me think how would this series be like if it took the gothic and classy direction of Remake instead of the dumb and explosive action of RE4. I love action RE but RE4 really killed this series greater potential.

Damn... It actually made me a little bit sad that Resident Evil isn't like that and now i really want RE 3.5.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
3rd times the charm sounds like some DMC stuff lol

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some related composer was involved, the time frame is definitely right for that to happen and Outbreak had several composers on it.

The Outbreak theme is so fucking good that it made me think how would this series be like if it took the gothic and classy direction of Remake instead of the dumb and explosive action of RE4. I love action RE but RE4 really killed this series greater potential.

Damn... It actually made me a little bit sad that Resident Evil isn't like that and now i really want RE 3.5.

It's interesting to think of how different the series could've gone in RE4 went with the 3.5 version, but you also have to consider that was a do or die time for the franchise. Capcom straight-up said either RE4 would be a success or the series was going to get canned, and while I love the horror genre the genre and series was over saturated by the time RE4 rolled around and was on the backdoor of dying down for a while. The drastic shift RE4 took was the right call I think in the end.

---

Also, since I have another post in the chain, here's the next two most viewed different Outbreak songs.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some related composer was involved, the time frame is definitely right for that to happen and Outbreak had several composers on it.

I haven't been able to listen to the actual track to comment on stylistic similarities, but Kento Hasegawa, Masato Kouda and Tetsuya Shibata did all apparently contribute to Outbreak.

edit: That track in particular was Tetsuya Shibata, which makes sense.

Last edited:

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017

Yup, RE5 has a great ost.
Wind of madness, Sad but true, Two on two and Assault fire come to mind.

Ride on sea from the first Revelations is really good too.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to think of how different the series could've gone in RE4 went with the 3.5 version, but you also have to consider that was a do or die time for the franchise. Capcom straight-up said either RE4 would be a success or the series was going to get canned, and while I love the horror genre the genre and series was over saturated by the time RE4 rolled around and was on the backdoor of dying down for a while. The drastic shift RE4 took was the right call I think in the end.
I wish we could get a new Survival Horror series in the same style of what that Outbreak song represents, gothic, opressive and classy. Sadly Survival Horror is a dying genre.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I wish we could get a new Survival Horror series in the same style of what that Outbreak song represents, gothic, opressive and classy. Sadly Survival Horror is a dying genre.

I'm not sure if it's a dying genre, it just needs to rediscover the fan base and price point. Until Dawn was great, and there's been a slight emergence of Multiplayer Survival Horror too.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While this does happen and Capcom has definitely done this, in this specific case I honestly believe it's coincidence. The chords are completely different, but their both a general an orchestral rise then fall, but how both do it are different enough I think they just sound a bit similar, and frankly outside of that one bit neither song sound entirely too much like the other.

They added to it in the Outbreak theme but the parts are clearly ripped straight from IT, it not just that one bit either, the ending to each is exactly the same too.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Until Dawn is a horror game, but I wouldn't call it what most people consider 'survival-horror', as the game is narrative focused and is basically like a actually well done horror-themed David Cage-esque game better than David Cage has done. It's a good game, but it's not really what survival-horror fans want gameplay wise, even though it definitely was very pretty and used fixed camera angles for various points.

Also Capcom uploaded two 'summary' trailers for Lucas and Zoe for the two upcoming DLCs. Zoe's trailer has a few more seconds of cutscene than we've seen before, but not much:

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Poor Zoe, she quickly became one of my favorites within the game, especially after Daughters. And that's telling for a title with characters like Jack Baker,

Can't wait for this extra chapter, i'm a big fan of the southern gothic setting of RE7. If i remember correctly, End of Zoe is placed on the swamp areas near the Baker's state, which could be amazing visually speaking. Also, i hope she makes out alive. Knowing Chris, i think that Lucas won't be hanging around for much longer.

Last edited:

Blackbird

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Man, Until Dawn was a really good game, shame about no sequel.

HIdden Agenda seems genuinely amazing tbh, it's just sad because the main target of that game is very specific. And yeah, not horror focused, but it's worth to check it out if you like thrillers and more "AR" focused titles (with friends by your side, yup, it's very specific).

Oct 25, 2017
I am curious where end of Zoe will go and if there's any hints on what to expect in the future of the series.
Having the Silent Hills guy working on this has definitely peaked my curiosity.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
testing out new monitors, i always use resident evil to demo and calibrate colors. especially the piano room =) just so pretty.
CXrTQBZl.png

uvUVrqdl.png

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Going from REmake to Code Veronica is painful.

I'm enjoying CV more than I expected though. Maybe it's nostalgia.

CV legit sucks for an RE game. Zero is better and that game is also rehashy, at least it looks cool and has some new ideas with the Co-op. CV is just too long and too dull.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zero and Code Veronica were both my favorites back then. i was so happy to see Wesker return for the first time ever and then super choke you with his resident evil 5 speed.

Blackbird

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I just bought it on PS4, i haven't touched anything after the openening sequence but i'll write my impressions later. It seems, interesting to say the least. I'm not a big fan of what they did with the very first cutscene and that early section is a little bit weird, over the top in ways i can't say that i like it.

And Steve, oh Steve...you're gonna be a pain the ass won't you? (i can't stand him already).

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
There is so much that you have to do in Code Veronica, puzzle wise, to progress in the game that I don't fall into the auto pilot habit I now find myself in with RE2 and to some extent RE3. It's probably the weakest out of the classic games, but it might be one of the better ones to revisit.