• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Jawmuncher Would love to hear what you think about this reveal?

Also this is the kind of remake I would love for Dino Crisis 1.

I didn't like the reveal at E3. It dragged out and you could tell it was a old build graphically. Looking worse than DMCV.
But the second trailer and the rest of the screenshots and other details that started to come out were to my liking. What they're doing here is what I expected out of the series after RE6. Redoing OTS to bring it back to a classic style while upping the horror to fit with today's standards.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think the redone OTS looks really good and let's not forget there are rumors of the classic angles being in as an option (I could even see it being DLC if not there at launch). RE speedrunners in particular would love it.

I hope we get to see Brian Irons and Ben, besides Marvin. Just imagine how gory their deaths in HD could be. Also, that Elza Walker costume is going to be ace.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since re2 looks just like a Revelation game with bigger budget it's safe to say revelations has been scrapped.

Last edited:

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
Honestly, after RE7 and this I must say Capcom is really doing a good job when it comes to Resident Evil PR. The game does features HUD markers that shows the position of items and a quest hud that tells the player where to go, both of which undermine the point of an exploration-based game. Changing the camera to OTS and smoothing the controls without redesigning the zombies to counter the new player's advantages is a big mistake (I mean, there was a reason why the Ganados, Majini and RE6 zombies were capable of using tools and hunted in pack). Yet, again, most people seem to genuinely believe this is a Return to the Roots™.

It's sad that Capcom threw away the great combat system of RE4-5-6, a system that still had a lot to offer and could still be pushed forward, but will probably never return, in exchange for misguided takes on old games which, let's be honest, aren't very complex today. At around 04:00 of the Gamespot video a zombie slams a door on Leon's face, then immediately turns around and walks towards a wall. The soundtrack (suspiciously similar to RE4) tries to build tension, but the whole scene is actually hilarious.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Capcom make a sequel to RE6?

It still sold well and the combat system is praised in regards to Mercenaries Mode. It'll return in some form, whether it be a REvelations or other spin off, or even a standalone Mercs.

Overall, it's interesting that given how long RE has been in the action department, people have been calling doom and gloom over 2 unrelated entries. One a big VR experiment, and the other that was a remake/reimagining with specific goals from the long requested inception.

Also, the Zombies seem to quite fit the mechanics and level design in REmake2, so not sure what you're on about in that aspect. I can agree that the map/objectives shouldn't be as involved, but it doesn't seem to be pointing out the specific puzzle piece locations/rooms at least.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 5
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Monster Hunter World
Mega Man 11
Dead Rising 5

Great time to be a Capcom fan!

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
It still sold well and the combat system is praised in regards to Mercenaries Mode. It'll return in some form, whether it be a REvelations or other spin off, or even a standalone Mercs.

Overall, it's interesting that given how long RE has been in the action department, people have been calling doom and gloom over 2 unrelated entries. One a big VR experiment, and the other that was a remake/reimagining with specific goals from the long requested inception.

Also, the Zombies seem to quite fit the mechanics and level design in REmake2, so not sure what you're on about in that aspect. I can agree that the map/objectives shouldn't be as involved, but it doesn't seem to be pointing out the specific puzzle piece locations/rooms at least.
Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm not fond of today's culture of nostalgia, which is something that goes beyond videogames.

Also disagree about the zombies. They are all the same and can't do anything more than move at the player's direction.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Even though we can't pull of these moves in the game I love seeing Leon Wick.

Resident Evil 2 would have been such a different game if this Leon was there. :P

tPpNvkK.gif

nuZPK33.gif

eDqZx9H.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so hyped and excited for RE2 remake. RE2 is probably my favourite game of all time and I was sceptical of the remake, but ever since the gameplay has been shown off I am a believer. It looks incredible. Come on Capcom release a demo. Give the people what they want!

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017

It will? I mean, it's been almost six years. Pretty sure it's not coming back.

I would have loved to have seen that engine for a Dino Crisis 2 type game. Would have been amazing haha.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Never played 2, but seeing some gameplay trailers has me excited for it and want to play day 1 lol
I wish they go back and remake 0,1,3,4 and CV similarly to this for current Gen platforms haha

Last edited:

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
It will? I mean, it's been almost six years. Pretty sure it's not coming back.

I would have loved to have seen that engine for a Dino Crisis 2 type game. Would have been amazing haha.
A standalone Mercenaries game would require nothing more than reusing/mixing levels, characters and foes from past games, spicing up the graphics a bit and then creating cosmetic DLC. It didn't happen in six years and there's no sign of it happening soon.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
sorry but I don't know where to ask...

it's about the Resident Evil 7 DLC (banned footage No.1), I have beaten nightmare and I just want to beat night terror, thing is I have a lot of skills and weapon upgrades missing and I'd like to know how do I get them or how do I unlock them-

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I started playing Resident Evil 3 again, I've only ever watched my brother complete it once as a kid and I've only ever personally completed it once. It's probably the scariest of the originals for me because of Nemesis' encounters.

This is my first time playing Hard Mode, and like the wimp I am I try to avoid Nemesis as much as I can. I am literally whimpering at the amount of places hes appearing around the restaurant after I used the ladder in there. He's fucking everywhere.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
In light of the RE2make, I decided to upload a playthrough for the first time and played through the Dreamcast version of 2 a bit last night. I rendered the videos at 720p to keep the file size down, so it's not the best visual quality.

Playlist

If you're curious as to what Hard mode looks like and want to watch me flail through the game and make odd mistakes like checking the computer before I have the keycard, take a look. The Dreamcast controller makes it easy to inadvertently make sharp turns while attempting to run straight, but I think for the most part I got lucky more than anything. Since I personally can't get the PC version to run properly, I view this as the best version of the classic game. Up until now I had thought it was possible to emulate, but ... there were some posts in recent threads that claimed that wasn't the case?

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
Hello friends. I really like Resident Evil. I think Remake and 4 are two of the best games ever made. Allow me to rank the games I've finished.

Remake
CV

I think Zero is pretty good and the rest range from great to masterpieces.

I did not enjoy what I played of 5 and basically stopped being interested in new titles from the series. I was intrigued by 7, but with a heavy backlog I kept making excuses to not buy it. Until I started seeing the Remake 2 footage. I'm unbelievably hyped! This thing should be an easy GOTY contender if they nail it like Remake. I've played through 2 a few times and I can't wait to see what new stuff they've added and any tricks they use against our expectations to keep fans on their toes.

Anyways, after watching so much Remake 2 stuff, I needed a fix. So with RE7 on a PSN sale, I finally bought it. Excited to have a new RE experience for the first time in awhile.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
I'm replaying RE7 now and I have few issues with the game:

The story relies so much on characters not telling each other anything:
Mia and Zoe don't tell Ethan anything important other than the next "mission objective" ("sorry, I can't tell you", "I'll explain this later", "hurry up, there's no time to talk", "sorry, I didn't warn you [about my mother]" etc.), Ethan not explaining the cop anything when they talk through the window.
etc. When you notice that, it's kind of funny / annoying. On the plus side, when you know the story, you start noticing how nicely foreshadowed the big reveal is.

The molded aren't really fun to fight against. Combat, outside the boss battles, is in my opinion the least fun thing in this game, especially at the beginning of the game, when you're poorly armed and have rather lowish health. That's the reason I really dislike the part in the basement (bless you Albert-01 for making that part of the game bearable on further playthroughs). Also, I hate how random molded's health / shooting accurency seems to be. Sometimes a monster dies with three headshots, other times it can survive a shotgun to the face and three handgun rounds to the head.

There are many boring parts in the game when you replay it: the whole opening, the Lucas' part, the beginning of the ship segment. Those things rely too much on the surprise (and on the first playthrough they do deliver). However, once you know what to expect, they are just a slog to go through (especially the opening).

There are many parts where the game seems cheap-ish - it punishes you for not knowing what you couldn't really know:
that there's a burner that allows you to deal with the bugs without wasting a lot of ammo and/or health; that some of the crates in the Lucas' section explode - I still don't know whether the explosive ones have any distinctive look; that coming to the second Jack fight with a full inventory puts you in disadvantage, since you won't be able to use the chainsaw without using/throwing two items; that inserting the code Lucas gave you activates the metal beams trap; various scenes where you're hurt mere second after an enemy appears and - without a prior knowledge - you have no idea that you could avoid the attack; etc.
. The checkpoints and loading screen tips help, but I would prefer if the game gave you hints in a more natural way, through the gameplay, and not the try, die, repeat loop.

On the plus side, the exploration and puzzles are still top notch. I love the layout of the mansion and its surroundings; how, as you progress, new shortcuts appear, how you revisit locations etc. I like how many secrets there are (the treasures, repair boxes, optional puzzles etc.). The boss battles, once you know the trick to each of them, are also great.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Mia and Zoe don't tell Ethan anything important other than the next "mission objective" ("sorry, I can't tell you", "I'll explain this later", "hurry up, there's no time to talk", "sorry, I didn't warn you [about my mother]" etc.), Ethan not explaining the cop anything when they talk through the window.
etc. When you notice that, it's kind of funny / annoying. On the plus side, when you know the story, you start noticing how nicely foreshadowed the big reveal is.

The molded aren't really fun to fight against. Combat, outside the boss battles, is in my opinion the least fun thing in this game, especially at the beginning of the game, when you're poorly armed and have rather lowish health. That's the reason I really dislike the part in the basement (bless you Albert-01 for making that part of the game bearable on further playthroughs). Also, I hate how random molded's health / shooting accurency seems to be. Sometimes a monster dies with three headshots, other times it can survive a shotgun to the face and three handgun rounds to the head.

There are many boring parts in the game when you replay it: the whole opening, the Lucas' part, the beginning of the ship segment. Those things rely too much on the surprise (and on the first playthrough they do deliver). However, once you know what to expect, they are just a slog to go through (especially the opening).

There are many parts where the game seems cheap-ish - it punishes you for not knowing what you couldn't really know:
that there's a burner that allows you to deal with the bugs without wasting a lot of ammo and/or health; that some of the crates in the Lucas' section explode - I still don't know whether the explosive ones have any distinctive look; that coming to the second Jack fight with a full inventory puts you in disadvantage, since you won't be able to use the chainsaw without using/throwing two items; that inserting the code Lucas gave you activates the metal beams trap; various scenes where you're hurt mere second after an enemy appears and - without a prior knowledge - you have no idea that you could avoid the attack; etc.
. The checkpoints and loading screen tips help, but I would prefer if the game gave you hints in a more natural way, through the gameplay, and not the try, die, repeat loop.

On the plus side, the exploration and puzzles are still top notch. I love the layout of the mansion and its surroundings; how, as you progress, new shortcuts appear, how you revisit locations etc. I like how many secrets there are (the treasures, repair boxes, optional puzzles etc.). The boss battles, once you know the trick to each of them, are also great.
For me the first half of RE7 was pure bliss, just as good as anything in the series. But man once you leave the house, it tapers off, I think when it got to the barn it lost me.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
For me the first half of RE7 was pure bliss, just as good as anything in the series. But man once you leave the house, it tapers off, I think when it got to the barn it lost me.

It's not as bad as I thought when I read all those opinions about the mines before playing the game, but it's true that the game looses its steam during/after the Lucas' part.

Right after the "party room", the game is less about exploration and puzzles in a beautifully crafted mansion full of details, and more about combat in a more sterile environment. And with that the game still follows the classic RE formula (RE1 and its undegrounds and the lab; RE2 and its sewers, factory and the labs; RE0 and its water plant and the labs; RECV and its antarctic base and the labs). However, those games have good combat and fun enemies to fight against, and the locations were still interesting. RE7 has molded and rather slow combat, and the last two locations are the essence of dark, bland looking and repetitive.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I like the old house/greenhouse in RE7 a lot too, feels very much the residence in RE1. I'm fully on board with the game up until the ship, which is where it starts to falter mainly by:
-making you play through that pace killing actiony flashback tape every time
-not introducing any new enemies (this is actually the game's biggest problem imo)
-not having any boss battles beyond this point except for another Mia fight if you pick the Zoe path.
-the rooms within the ship don't feel like they have their own distinct identities or tell a story like the rooms of the house do

Which is a shame because the level design of the ship is actually quite good imo, a nice vertical version of classic RE exploration.

And then the mines are total let down and feel like they didn't have any time. Just a linear slog where you run a gauntlet through all the enemies you've grown tired of shooting.

If RE8 can maintain, and enhance, the quality of the first half of 7 then it will be golden.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018

"Also, I hate how random molded's health / shooting accurency seems to be. Sometimes a monster dies with three headshots, other times it can survive a shotgun to the face and three handgun rounds to the head."

I recall reading somewhere that the enemies and bosses in RE7 have i-frames during the reeling animations.

Also, about the cheap-ish sequences.... Likely done on purpose. I feel like the whole game was 'designated' around the "Are you scared yet?" motif. The director went to the point of saying that gameplay isn't important in Resident Evil.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Having replayed RE7 a lot (have it 100% on 3 platforms). My biggest complaints are it has the weakest main characters since the original (before that cast got sequels) and some really poorly handled story beat
Eveline and the whole hive mind concept we're just not to my liking

Going back to the characters. Ethan and Mia I never want to see again. They had no chemistry despite the game trying to days they did. As for Mia, I only wanna seeher again
if it's her going to jail for being a bio reformist

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
So is there a reason why Clare and Leon look so different??

Photogrammetry - the characters are now based on real people (and let's be honest, at least you can recognize them as Leon and Claire, unlike Chris from RE7).

Also, it's a new gen and Capcom has never really been consistent with characters look when they were moved to the next gen (or another medium), unless they reused the model (RE5 Jill's face is slightly modified REmake Jill). Just look at Leon: RE2, RE4, Degeneration, Damnation, Vendetta and RE6 version each looks differently. Heck, even RE0 and REmake Rebecca use different models IIRC.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get to see Brian Irons and Ben, besides Marvin. Just imagine how gory their deaths in HD could be. Also, that Elza Walker costume is going to be ace.
You can't see them but I'm pretty sure both of them have lines of dialogue in the showcase trailer, Irons is the one who says money is in my account and Ben is the guy at the end who says it's coming back.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
I'm trying the xbox game pass, and going to play RE6 for the first time.

One tip: read this post and the attached attached Controls Guide:

https://www./threads/before-playing...-capcom-dont-teach-poop.494812/#post-42986602

RE6 is an action game and you can do a lot: dodges, counters, slides, quick shots etc. And if you know what you're doing, the game's combat can be awesome (combat scenarios and level design is still so-so, but the combat mechanics are top-notch). However, the in-game tutorial doesn't teach you anything.

That's what I was afraid of.

Nah, don't listen to the naysayers. Just keep in mind that this is no longer a survival horror game, but rather an action game with horror themes. Also, it's very unpolished, uneven and full of jankiness; but when it works, it's awesome.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Best part of RE6 on gamepass is that it's 60fps. The game feels so much better. Also the FOV is a huge improvement over what it was when the game originally came out.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Somehow, in the middle of my RE2 capture, the video got choppy, without it being apparent as I was capturing. The sound is fine and it's not ... terrible, but ... damn. Do I start over from the beginning? Do I move on to Leon B?

It'd be an easier decision to make if it didn't take me one min to render one min of video.

Last edited: