• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
One thing I did hate about RE6 though is the AI partner doesnt pick up any items, when in the caves there was a bunch of valuable drops yet she wouldn't pick em up, I was like; come on.

Sheva was a good girl that way, she picked up everything.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually love Chris' campaign in 6,
my only gameplay issue with 6 is the inventory/items.

I hated being set with specific default stuff the entire game, i realy missed the RE4,5 style of either finding better variants or buying them in a shop.

Oct 25, 2017
RE6 has cool mechanics but aside from that, it's pretty mediocre. UI/Inventory is a mess, the level design is bad, movement/aiming seems wonky (until you upgrade?), enemy hit reactions are poor (compare RE6 melee to the satisfying ones in RE4/RE5).

I won't say it has no redeeming qualities, but yeah lol. I've tried to play it on 3 different occasions and stopped a couple hours in each time.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
RE6 has cool mechanics but aside from that, it's pretty mediocre. UI/Inventory is a mess, the level design is bad, movement/aiming seems wonky (until you upgrade?), enemy hit reactions are poor (compare RE6 melee to the satisfying ones in RE4/RE5).

I won't say it has no redeeming qualities, but yeah lol. I've tried to play it on 3 different occasions and stopped a couple hours in each time.

This is one point I can't agree with. The melee in RE6 is very satisfying. Whether it's throwing enemies over your head into a crowd of others or countering to do huge amounts of damage.

The melee itself is very satisfying in RE6. I will give you that the setups for contextual melee aren't as easily seen as RE4/RE5 where an enemy over exaggerates when stunned.

jsGWqyC.gif

WLq3ktk.gif

These days. You'll mainly see the character interactions, melee, and gameplay mechanics being praised.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018

The enemy design is one of the best, most diverse among TPS games, and their attacks are very well telegraphed. Considering how many enemy types exist in RE6, it's a miracle how well animated they are; there are games with only 4 enemy types whose attacks are poorly telegraphed. The real-time inventory is more convenient than the one in RE5 and the level design is only a problem when there are too many gun-toting enemies in small rooms. How are the hit reactions poor?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I dont care what direction is next I just want Roger to voice Chris Redfield one more time. I miss him so much.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Only time Chris was in RE2

Speaking of which, the RE7 Chris Actor said we'd see something RE related (I think) in September which I am assuming he is in. Wonder what that could be.

Boya

Jan 1, 2018
Only time Chris was in RE2

Speaking of which, the RE7 Chris Actor said we'd see something RE related (I think) in September which I am assuming he is in. Wonder what that could be.

I was thinking if they said they're going to include HUNK and Tofu making Chris playable in a bonus mode doesn't seem to far fetched.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I done did it. This is the second time I've ever completed Resident Evil 3, and the first time on Hard Mode.
I forgot so much of it that it felt super fresh, I was always reluctant to play 3 because of how scared I am of Nemesis. I mostly remembered stuff from my brothers playthroughs I used to watch as a kid but a lot of it was a blur. They picked a lot of different live selections than me.

I saved 24 times because holy fuck I was paranoid Nemesis was gonna wreck me up around every corner. He was EXTREMELY persistent in some areas to the point where I'm surprised I didn't suffer a heart attack.

I don't know if I could do a RE3make... I'd probably die.

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking if they said they're going to include HUNK and Tofu making Chris playable in a bonus mode doesn't seem to far fetched.
At most i'd expect RE7 Chris.
Though thankfully Chris' S.T.A.R.S. outfit would be incredibly easy to assemble for scanning if they wanted to and wouldn't need updating like Leon's.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing though 6 again atm for whatever reason and am on the second part of journey following sherry and Jake.

6 is not a good game, Now it has fun mechanics that can be brought forth and used thanks to mercenaries but the pacing of 6 is awful. I just got done with this snow area where if you get shot you slide all the way down, not too mention the crappy speed bike set piece that follows.

And the QTE's...
I dont care what direction is next I just want Roger to voice Chris Redfield one more time. I miss him so much.
I can agree on that. He's the best VA in the series and is Chris. It cut me deep when that other dude started talking in re7.
I done did it. This is the second time I've ever completed Resident Evil 3, and the first time on Hard Mode.
I forgot so much of it that it felt super fresh, I was always reluctant to play 3 because of how scared I am of Nemesis. I mostly remembered stuff from my brothers playthroughs I used to watch as a kid but a lot of it was a blur. They picked a lot of different live selections than me.

I saved 24 times because holy fuck I was paranoid Nemesis was gonna wreck me up around every corner. He was EXTREMELY persistent in some areas to the point where I'm surprised I didn't suffer a heart attack.

I don't know if I could do a RE3make... I'd probably die.
Congrats! I might fire this up on my psp or vita in a bit.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
6 is not a good game, Now it has fun mechanics that can be brought forth and used thanks to mercenaries but the pacing of 6 is awful.

I both agree and disagree. There are levels that are awful, like Sherry chapter 2, where it's gimmick (snow blizzard), after gimmick (snow mobile chase), after gimmick (stealth section). And the whole level is tiresome - I don't remember a single good section in the chapter.

However, there are also levels that actually has nice pacing. In Sherry chapter 1 you are constantly going through a roller coaster of fast combat scenario (either in linear corridors or more open spaces) and slow moments, where the game gives you a time to breath, calm down and fill up resources. My only issue with this chapter is that it throws you in right into chaotic combat at the very beginning, where aside from fighting J'avos, you also have to look out for BSAA helicopters.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm playing though 6 again atm for whatever reason and am on the second part of journey following sherry and Jake.

6 is not a good game, Now it has fun mechanics that can be brought forth and used thanks to mercenaries but the pacing of 6 is awful. I just got done with this snow area where if you get shot you slide all the way down, not too mention the crappy speed bike set piece that follows.

And the QTE's...

I can agree on that. He's the best VA in the series and is Chris. It cut me deep when that other dude started talking in re7.

Congrats! I might fire this up on my psp or vita in a bit.

You can turn off the Insta-death QTEs and turn on QTE assists if you really don't wanna waffle sticks and such.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of RE6 melee. It's like there isn't any impact or weight behind hits. Also do not like a lot of the attacks aren't even hits and are flips and holds.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Yooo that would be sick. Always wanted to play those games.

The timing makes sense, they haven't released an RE game this year and it would help fill the gap between now and RE2

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I both agree and disagree. There are levels that are awful, like Sherry chapter 2, where it's gimmick (snow blizzard), after gimmick (snow mobile chase), after gimmick (stealth section). And the whole level is tiresome - I don't remember a single good section in the chapter.

However, there are also levels that actually has nice pacing. In Sherry chapter 1 you are constantly going through a roller coaster of fast combat scenario (either in linear corridors or more open spaces) and slow moments, where the game gives you a time to breath, calm down and fill up resources. My only issue with this chapter is that it throws you in right into chaotic combat at the very beginning, where aside from fighting J'avos, you also have to look out for BSAA helicopters.
I agree that there's some bits to like. Leon escaping tall oaks is ok and Chris fighting the snake was somewhat fun. But there's so much mess and junk in between it.

I do enjoy a lot of the cutscenes because there's just so much fan-service going on and I'm ok with that.
You can turn off the Insta-death QTEs and turn on QTE assists if you really don't wanna waffle sticks and such.
Yeah, I know. I remember on the first go around you couldn't though. I want to say it was patched in or something.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
I agree that there's some bits to like. Leon escaping tall oaks is ok and Chris fighting the snake was somewhat fun. But there's so much mess and junk in between it.

The game really needed some extra time, playtests and a person who could say "hey, fix it or cut that shit out". As someone in the RE6 OT back on NeoGAF said, the game's highs are very high, but the lows are extremely low. It's so uneven.

I still can't believe how something like that car chase in Chris' scenario made it to the final game. That part is ugly, clunky, not funny at all, very frustrating due to how easy it is to fail the chase and it drags for so long. I can't believe there wasn't anyone at the dev team who realized how bad it is.

Oct 30, 2017
I got RE 7 on Black Friday and have been working my way through most of the series to catch up. I've played most of the mainline series but I forgot some and skipped others. Within the past 6 months I played:

RE2: Claire A, Leon B. When I originally played this game I did Leon A and no B route at all, I went straight to RE3 afterwards. I remembered absolutely nothing from RE2 and I'm glad I finally went back. Not only is it excellent but now I can appreciate the upcoming remake properly. Small chance I'll do Leon A, Claire B. I'd like to but I've got a stack of other games that require my attention

RE3: Solid, but not great. Definitely the weakest of the 3. Unlike RE2 I did remember this one. Not sure what wrong turn I took but I did not get the Barry ending, dammit!

CVX: Hated most of it. It's not complete trash but man, what a slog. I loved the terrible acting though

RE Gaiden: I had a 6 hour flight so I tried to knock this out. It's not as bad as I was expecting, if I had this game during the GBC days I would have been all about it. I did not manage ammo well enough for the end boss though. If you haven't played it, the way most boss fights work is that you have to shoot the enemy and stagger them backwards. Knife is viable face to face but when they stagger back, you can't reach them anymore. I literally ran out of all types of ammo so I couldn't keep pushing the boss, there was nothing I could do. I went back a save and used a guide to find ammo but it still wasn't enough. I wish I could have beaten it but the game is not good enough to make me want to start over, I watched the last 10 min on youtube instead. I hope this doesn't turn into a white whale years from now.

RE Zero: I just finished this for the first time 2 days ago. I loved it! There are valid complaints, like the inventory system and I thought the game was longer than it needed to be (I would have been good after the lab, no factory) but besides that stuff, I really loved it. Question, I'm really impressed by the mirror and window reflections. I played the PS4 HD Remaster, where those reflections in the original gamecube version?

So that's where I am now. I stagger the RE games with non-RE games to avoid fatigue so I'm off to some other game. When I'm back, it's finally going to be RE7 time! I recently decided to play Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles as well but I'm not sure how to fit them into the lineup from here. Maybe UC. 7, DC? Since they're on rails shooters I don't think I'll need to worry about RE fatigue.

In case you're wondering what happened to the other mainline schedule:
I remember RE 1 and have beaten it twice with Jill. I want to do a Chris run but that's not high on my priority list
I've beaten RE 4 I think 3x. I remember it well
I don't remember 5 other than it being bad. I should play it but I have the PS3 version and my PS3 is busted
I played 6 co-op recently, I remember it

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How much time will it take to play through Resident Evil 2 A Scenario for the first time?
I tasted blood with all the recent Resi Talk and want to finally play it since a classic styled Resident Evil 2 is no longer a possibility.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much time will it take to play through Resident Evil 2 A Scenario for the first time?
I tasted blood with all the recent Resi Talk and want to finally play it since a classic styled Resident Evil 2 is no longer a possibility.
It isn't long at all. Like maybe 3-4 hours your first time through? Maybe even shorter than that.

The entire game is less than maybe 6-7 hours long.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
I've just started Resident Evil 7 on PC, exactly how dark is this game supposed to be? I've had a bunch of issues getting HDR to work (and have now disabled it entirely) so I don't know if the lighting in general is just completely messed up on PC but this game seems way too dark even for a horror game. I've got the brightness set like the game says (not visible/barely visible) and if anything I have my TV settings set slightly brighter than normal, so if it was my TV I think I'd be having the opposite problem.

Is this game just generally meant to be really dark or do I need to crank up the brightness?

Oct 30, 2017
What is up with the lack of Resident Evil toys? There's the NECA line which is old plus I never liked NECA designs anyway and then there's the Hot Toys line which is too high end. Even some simple gashapon would work fine for my computer desk. I hate Funko Pops but they have alternative lines which aren't bad, like the Pint Size Heroes and Mystery Minis. I know they work with Capcom too because there's Mega Man and Street Fighter Pint Size heroes. Where da Resident Evil ones at?

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
It wasn't overly dark when I played it but I didn't have any problems with the HDR

It's been a total nightmare for me. When I turn it on it changes from full screen to borderless, then tells me that you need to be in fullscreen to use HDR but when I change it back I lose video (can still hear the audio though), so I turn off HDR and set it back to FS, enable HDR again and it just repeats. Thinking this might be a problem with my PC though because the same thing happens (losing video, audio still playing) when I try to use HDR in Hitman.

Still think the game is too dark. I guess it's realistic but I literally can't see what the hell I'm doing in places.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
RE3: Solid, but not great. Definitely the weakest of the 3. Unlike RE2 I did remember this one. Not sure what wrong turn I took but I did not get the Barry ending, dammit!

You get the Barry ending when you let Nicholai escape in the helicopter / destroy the helicopter in a boss fight. To do so, you have to jump off the bridge leading to the Dead Factory.