• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Resident Evil Community |OT| Complete Global Reset

Oct 28, 2017
So started playing some Darkside Chronicles last night; and while I think UC is a better game in the lightgun sense; I do love me the production values that went into the R.P.D in Darkside Chronicles and it does feel like the sections you do go through is nostalgia goodness (You know, for its time and what it is; I forgot you went into the R.P.D in UC and how cheap it felt in comparison). The Tyrant in RE2 is actually pretty intimidating when you first come across him and I feel like it's a testament to the design of "Mr. X" that such a simple monster design manages to be so wonderfully effective in every iteration we see from the classic RE2 to the Remake version.

Oct 28, 2017
So started playing some Darkside Chronicles last night; and while I think UC is a better game in the lightgun sense; I do love me the production values that went into the R.P.D in Darkside Chronicles and it does feel like the sections you do go through is nostalgia goodness (You know, for its time and what it is; I forgot you went into the R.P.D in UC and how cheap it felt in comparison). The Tyrant in RE2 is actually pretty intimidating when you first come across him and I feel like it's a testament to the design of "Mr. X" that such a simple monster design manages to be so wonderfully effective in every iteration we see from the classic RE2 to the Remake version.
I wish the Move controllers weren't so expensive or I would love to try those games. I've been wanting to play them since they first came out on the Wii.

Btw PS1 RE2 on EU PSN store is €10... That's a ridiculous price for such an old game and it never goes on sale. :(

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Move controllers weren't so expensive or I would love to try those games. I've been wanting to play them since they first came out on the Wii.
Before PSVR they were dirt cheap.

But they suck for lightgun (or any aiming) type use anyway, you don't aim like with the Wii IR, you just have a reticle you kinda guide with the glowing ball, no need to even point, can hold the controller upright. Playing with a controller is better imo. Playing on Wii is best.

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
Are you playing on ps3 or wii? Im curious about getting a wii to play Darkside Chronicles (and other games) and the motion controller would be cheaper .

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's been a decade since the last time I played RE2 so I decided to play the game again (Claire A/Leon B) and here are some loosely organized thoughts.

Overall, the game is even better than I remember. It's such a thoroughly well crafted game, with superb pacing, characters and gameplay. An all time classic no doubt and a lesson of how a sequel should be made.

(On Chief Irons) I had completely forgotten that Chief Irons was such a sociopath. I remember him being corrupted but by Juno, the guy was a sick bastard. I wonder how he will be presented in the remake.

(On William Birkin) Visually speaking, Birkin has probably the coolest evolutions of the franchise. Seeing him go from a fairly human figure, then getting more claws, more arms, new heads, new giant eyes, becoming a sort of huge dog and ending in a shapeless blob of flash is nothing short of amazing ... I do hope the remake doesn't skip a single one and show him is all his glory.

(On death animations) I love how you had this finish moves from enemies, at least bosses. Once, Birkin stunned Claire with a smaller arm and used the big one to merciless impale her, quite cinematic. In another, Mr. X crushed Leon's head under his boot. The upcoming remake has to work hard to match that.

(On Mr. X and Nemesis) Talking about Mr. X, I took a special attention to him. First because he looks amazing in the remake, but also to more precisely be able to compare him to Nemesis (considering how many people see the RE2 moster as a kind of predecesor to the RE3 one). And I have to say, he is considerably less similar to Nemesis than I remember. The similarities are on a superficial level only, but the fact that Mr. X is so slow and, compared to Nemesis, easy to take down, make him a completely different type of threat. And this is not to say one is better than the other, only that the way in which Mr. X works in RE2, how he threats and challenges the player, is completely different compared to how Nemesis does it in the sequel.

(On the bowgun): What a useless weapon! Particularly when you compare it with the amazing shotgun. It would be cooler if it shot a single bolt that could pierce zombies, and maybe stick them to walls... the lovely granade launcher makes up for it though, I wonder if they will have freeze rounds in REmake 2?

(On 'The 4th Survivor') Unfortunately I did not unlock it. I have not played that mode before and really want to do it. Maybe I'll go one more time.

(On different scenarios) That is definifely one of the most appealing things about this game. Playing one campaign, and then another, and then seeing how they connect is amazing. The only 'but' I have about this game is probably that some puzzles are equal in both scenarios and could have used a few twists to make them fresh.

(Closing notes) Revisiting this gem made me want REmake 2 more than ever before. I'm having to hold myself to not go and pre-order it immediataly. I'll wait a little more, but if only they throw a bone in the game to RE3, a very nice easter egg or, in the best scenario, a tease of what is to come, I won't be able to resist anymore and will have to pre-order it. Or at least buy it close to release and pay full price.

Last edited: