• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Hello everyone. We talking about Rev 1 vs 2? Rev 1 was great for a portable game, pretty impressive for a 3DS game. Raid mode made it a legit great game but as a campaign it's the worst of the main series for me.

It tries to be RE4 style but with pretty boring bullet sponge enemies that really hurt the very reactive target specific parts of a body and make every bullet count style of those games. It tries to be more old school RE but doesn't do well with that either. The game world isn't that well made, it doesn't flow like the old games do. It has horrrible boring designed sections when you go away from the boat. Seriously that crap hunter attack mission in a flat boring area, what is that. I expect way more from RE with level design. It did have some good bosses but overall pretty bland. Raid mode though, amazing! The best bonus mode of any RE game and blows away Rev2 raid.

Rev 2 has a far better campaign, it has brand new gameplay ideas, excellent variety in scenarios and balances old with new fat better than Rev 1 did. The story was glorious, so much fan service, the ending is one of the greatest in the series. Rev 2 is a gem of a game, it doesn't break into the top main line games but it's maybe the best of the bottom half of RE games.

Oct 28, 2017
Long long ago shortly after RE6's release I heard a rumour that Jill was going to take Piers' place in the original script for Chris' campaign* but they didn't want the drama that came from having a male character constantly verbally abusing a female one, so it was changed.

* also heard that Chris was originally supposed to die at the end and that his campaign originally wasn't even going to be in the game and was added later during development.

Could never find a source on any of these, though.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Long long ago shortly after RE6's release I heard a rumour that Jill was going to take Piers' place in the original script for Chris' campaign* but they didn't want the drama that came from having a male character constantly verbally abusing a female one, so it was changed.

It would certainly make no sense for Jill to serve under Chris like Piers does. There was some logic behind that choice if you wanted Chris to be the leader of a squad rather than in an equal partnership, and his story in RE6 only makes sense with the former.

Maybe we'll find out in Rev 3.

Hopefully in RE8.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
The Piers and Chris romance is too real

Yeah, the romance between Chris and Piers is both funny and touching, since you know most people at Capcom didn't think they were making a love story but they totally did. I do want Chris and Jill to partner up more in new titles, though. RE5 implied such a strong partnership between the two but it's barely been a thing for nearly a decade now.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the romance between Chris and Piers is both funny and touching, since you know most people at Capcom didn't think they were making a love story but they totally did. I do want Chris and Jill to partner up more in new titles, though. RE5 implied such a strong partnership between the two but it's barely been a thing for nearly a decade now.
I don't really understand why the fans continually push Chris and Piers as a romantic couple. In my perception, there was nothing to suggest the nature of the relationship was anything more than a platonic brotherhood of mutual respect and care, but if two men dare to care for each other, I guess people will ship them as more than comrades in arms? I mean, I get why the fan art is made, there will always be a ton of that. What I don't get is folks saying Capcom made a love story, whether intentional or not.

Jan 11, 2018
It seems the Biohazard Value Pack has received a re-release in Japan, this time with physical copies of the games in it rather than vouchers.

The Piers and Chris romance is too real

piers_chris___both_gonna_make_it_out_of_here_by_sexcella_de_luca-d5hiuzz.gif

I don't really understand why the fans continually push Chris and Piers as a romantic couple. In my perception, there was nothing to suggest the nature of the relationship was anything more than a platonic brotherhood of mutual respect and care, but if two men dare to care for each other, I guess people will ship them as more than comrades in arms? I mean, I get why the fan art is made, there will always be a ton of that. What I don't get is folks saying Capcom made a love story, whether intentional or not.

You can literally make the same argument about Chris and Jill though.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
You can literally make the same argument about Chris and Jill though.
I'd argue it's just as baseless to say there's something there between Chris and Jill, romantically speaking. There are overt romantic pairings or implications in the series (Leon and Ada, Jake and Sherry), but when people are inclined to ship even platonic love (as if it isn't possible for two men to have a profound care for each other without them being attracted to each other, ala End of Watch), it just seems like reaching, I suppose.

Jan 11, 2018
I don't disagree with you that those two are the only pairings with some actual hints of romance, and it might even be that Capcom is making an effort to keep all options open for fan shippings for everyone else (I'm kind of glad they're not pushing any forced romances on us, just for the sake of it). Although personally, I'd definitely ship Chris and Piers lol, and Jill and Carlos. But I recognise that these are far from being canon ships.

I think what speaks the most in favour of Chris being paired with another guy is how much Capcom used to cater to gay fans with his costumes (the sailor suit and the BDSM leather daddy outfits definitely weren't meant to titillate women lol).

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

I had the same impression.

Anyway, as far as romance goes, Resident Evil seems very much to ignore it. And any attempt at it seems to be only for a game and then forgotten. Besides Barry that has a family and Claire who had a relationship with that guy from Rev 2, is there any other relationship involving the main characters? Leon for example, is he just waiting for Ada all this time?

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I think what speaks the most in favour of Chris being paired with another guy is how much Capcom used to cater to gay fans with his costumes (the sailor suit and the BDSM leather daddy outfits definitely weren't meant to titillate women lol).
You may be right, but Chris is meant to be a pretty handsome dude, so I could see those costumes appealing to both men and women.

Took me a minute to realize what you meant by "BDSM leather daddy", lol. I always just considered that a post-apocalyptic hero type of thing. Of his RE5 alts, I only really liked the S.T.A.R.S. and heavy armor ones. I prefer to forget the existence of Safari Chris, that poor disaster of a skin. Sheva really came out the winner, in terms of alternate fanservice costumes. Tribal and Fairytale... jeez.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I had the same impression.

Anyway, as far as romance goes, Resident Evil seems very much to ignore it. And any attempt at it seems to be only for a game and then forgotten. Besides Barry that has a family and Claire who had a relationship with that guy from Rev 2, is there any other relationship involving the main characters? Leon for example, is he just waiting for Ada all this time?
Leon famously turned down the "overtime", the "ballistics" at the end of 4. Was he behaving professionally, keeping his personal and work lives separate, or really just holding out for Ada? Who's to say? Who's to say... probably both, though.

He also made no advances towards Helena in 6. I guess she's not one of the more memorable RE side characters in the grand scheme of things, but still very attractive, capable, and voiced by Laura Bailey, so Leon is a mad one for that, in my book.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
But wasn't Ashley like 14 years old in RE4?

I remember thinking Sherry was Ashley back when the first trailer for RE6 hit. Good times.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

C'mon man, it's fun lol. Makes that amazing campaign even more memorable.

You may be right, but Chris is meant to be a pretty handsome dude, so I could see those costumes appealing to both men and women.

Took me a minute to realize what you meant by "BDSM leather daddy", lol. I always just considered that a post-apocalyptic hero type of thing. Of his RE5 alts, I only really liked the S.T.A.R.S. and heavy armor ones. I prefer to forget the existence of Safari Chris, that poor disaster of a skin.

What!? That skin is incredible!

He also made no advances towards Helena in 6. I guess she's not one of the more memorable RE side characters in the grand scheme of things, but still very attractive, capable, and voiced by Laura Bailey, so Leon is a mad one for that, in my book.

Angry-faced women doing sick wrestling moves is a killer combo. Leon was out of his mind considering Ada plays him like a sap and shows him no respect.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to know if they gonna do anything with " Secret beaker at the end of Rev 1" and " Possesed girl at the end of rev 2 " also Bring jake and Sherry back

Also keith , the god

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
But wasn't Ashley like 14 years old in RE4?

I remember thinking Sherry was Ashley back when the first trailer for RE6 hit. Good times.
Nah, nowhere near that young. She's 20 or so.

I don't feel strongly about seeing Ashley again, I could take it or leave it. I guess it'd be cool if we saw an older Ashley plunged into her own hell, able to take adequate care of herself and survive, but not quite on the level of a full-on crazy action hero. More RE7 Ethan than RE6 Sherry, really. It would definitely suit the more horror-oriented direction the series has taken as of late, so maybe Ashley would make a pretty good RE protagonist today.
C'mon man, it's fun lol. Makes that amazing campaign even more memorable.
Lmao, fair enough. Chris has the best RE6 campaign either way.
What!? That skin is incredible!
It's a fashion mistake of the highest caliber.

AkFhnmC.png

I remember being confused by it back then. I didn't get what it correlated to, or what they were going for in general. When I heard "Safari Chris", I thought that meant what he wears at the very start of the game for like 5 minutes. That should've been one of the alts.
Angry-faced women doing sick wrestling moves is a killer combo. Leon was out of his mind considering Ada plays him like a sap and shows him no respect.
She had a killer angry face, too. The best. Rev 2 Claire is the only one to challenge that:

claire-redfield.png

Helena's moves were so stylish. Her elaborate throw, and the drop kick... greatness.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
They're bringing both plot points back for Revelations 3 starring Billy Coen and Ark Thompson.
Billy Coen is an old boomer by now, his time to shine as a young man has long passed. They'll have to give him a child to care for and make an angry dad game of it, because that's what you do when you have a late 40s or above protag these days, right? When we look at Barry Burton and Joe Baker, Billy would be in good company.

Ark Thompson... after seeing AVGN's recent review of that game, I don't think I'd ever want to play it. lol

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
It's a fashion mistake of the highest caliber.

AkFhnmC.png

I remember being confused by it back then. I didn't get what it correlated to, or what they were going for in general. When I heard "Safari Chris", I thought that meant what he wears at the very start of the game for like 5 minutes. That should've been one of the alts.

I think Safari Chris looks both hilarious and cool, but I'll agree with you on the bolded.

Remake 2 is also changing the picture of Jill's "boyfriend" to a dog. It seems romance don't go well with RE characters.

Wow, Capcom listening to the bad side of the fandom. smh

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Tried playing OG RE1 but the lack of ammo is starting to make me realize why thye toted the series as Survival horror :V I was playing Jill and got the Shotgun (Jill Sandwich!) which is awesome but the tank controls are really making it harder for me to move around and position myself against the zombies @o@
Maybe I should play the REmake instead?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Tried playing OG RE1 but the lack of ammo is starting to make me realize why thye toted the series as Survival horror :V I was playing Jill and got the Shotgun (Jill Sandwich!) which is awesome but the tank controls are really making it harder for me to move around and position myself against the zombies @o@

The biggest issue with RE1 and RE2 is that they don't have autoaim. It's impact on the control is amazing.

If it's available to you, get RE Deadly Silence. It has the classic RE1 but with some modern tweaks (like autoaim). If not I'd say you should really try to get used to RE1's control before going for the remake. It's worth it.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Remake has tank controls though. Unless you want to use the new control scheme they made for it, which breaks the game's design completely.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Helena was tight and should come back

And "listened to the bad side of the fandom" can i get a bit more context

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

The REmake, if anything, makes ammo rarer and you have even more threats to deal with. It's just a style of game you'll have to get used to if you wanna enjoy it. The HD version of the REmake lets you play without Tank Controls as an option but the game is blatantly designed around those controls so trying to play with more "traditional" controls is not only way too easy, but it's also missing the point. Obviously you're allowed to have fun your own way but if you want to experience the legacy and play the games as they were intended to be played you should stick with the Tank Controls. They really aren't that hard to get used to.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I played REmake with modern controls the entire way through, no regrets. Aside from the camera changes being super annoying under this control scheme, the game plays really well under them.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Yeah, the campaign alone is gonna be super meaty but I really hope we get something else after completely it that we can waste hours on. I tend to prefer the campaigns to the Mercenaries mode in most RE games regardless but it's always been a great extra.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Mind you I've watched some RE1 speedruns and seeing some runners merely avoiding enemies and running past them, using the modern controls would let me more easily avoid enemies so that's kinda cool for me :P I'll see if my brother has RE Deadly Aim.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
As far as romance goes in RE, literally the only canonical romance there is, is between Leon and Ada.

• Thier kiss and "final" monologue in RE2
  • Ada confessing Leon changed her as she caught feelings for him in UC
  • Leon telling Ashley "she's a part of me I can't let go." when she asks him who was Ada in RE4
  • Their canon hook-up from Damnation
  • That whole final scene/conversation between Leon, Ada and Simmons in RE6

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just popping in to say that Chris and Piers (And Barry to an extent) are the only characters to have clearly gay-aimed titilated outfits. They either have women designers or men who know what they're doing. I'm not saying the ship is canon, we know that hasn't been confirmed, but there's nothing wrong with that being people's personal headcanon.

Now, Piers didn't get a sexualised outfit in-game but there was concept art for an unusued one that I imagine would've been his Mercs alt.

tumblr_inline_pertarPwZK1rddvbz_1280.png

That along with Chris' sailor outfit from Rev and RE6's story and it's not a mystery why theyre a popular ship.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Are RE5 and RE6 enjoyable to play solo? I remember trying to play RE5 years ago on my own and giving up early on because i wasn't enjoying it.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are RE5 and RE6 enjoyable to play solo? I remember trying to play RE5 years ago on my own and giving up early on because i wasn't enjoying it.

RE5 I found to be pretty enjoyable on solo outside of professional difficulty. On that one, having a partner is pretty much necessary from what I recall. Easily my favorite replay and chill RE games.

The Bike chase, El Gigante fight, and the Wesker and Jill fight.

RE6 is also okay, but less enjoyable, solo aside from one part in Jake and Sherry's campaign, where the A.I. can basically stop you from progressing.

When being chased by the Ustanak in the sewers/caves, you come to a bunch of bulkhead doors you have to button mash/stick swivel open. The problem is that often the A.I. will often stay and keep shooting the Ustanak instead of following, no matter what you set the A.I. behavior to be, and thus get killed repeatedly and be prevented from progressing

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The general consensus is that RE5 is dreadful solo, while RE6 is good solo. However, RE5 co-op is the best experience you'll get out of both games.
None of my friends have any interest in the games and I don't wanna play with randoms. 5 and 6 are the only mainline re games I've not played which is a lot to do with being turned off by the action turn the franchise took. However I would still like to play them to at least experience the story etc.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The general consensus is that RE5 is dreadful solo, while RE6 is good solo. However, RE5 co-op is the best experience you'll get out of both games.

I really can't see how this is the case. There's no Bulkhead Death Trap moment in RE5. With the right weapons, Sheva doesn't have to be looked after and can even do a good deal of damage on her own. It really only is an issue in Professional when certain set pieces and bosses require tight coordination with the smaller opportunity windows and higher damage.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
RE1's transliteral English is always a joy, but it seems that much of the lines that are popular are from Jill's route. I don't know of any from Chris' route :P

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
None of my friends have any interest in the games and I don't wanna play with randoms. 5 and 6 are the only mainline re games I've not played which is a lot to do with being turned off by the action turn the franchise took. However I would still like to play them to at least experience the story etc.

Playing them on Normal/Amateur should be an enjoyable experience still. I mean, it's RE! Haha

I really can't see how this is the case. There's no Bulkhead Death Trap moment in RE5. With the right weapons, Sheva doesn't have to be looked after and can even do a good deal of damage on her own. It really only is an issue in Professional when certain set pieces and bosses require tight coordination with the smaller opportunity windows and higher damage.

I love RE5 very much, but the co-op system was just not meant for the AI there. Let's say that the AI dying is not the problem (which it is, but let's ignore that for now), the inventory management is absolutely frustrating especially when Sheva's programmed to give you specific items in certain situations and you just want to organize freely. Furthermore, usage of healing items seems automatic as soon as you hit a threshold even though you really don't need it yet because you're saving it for a red herb. The AI will also pick up shit and forcefully give them to you even if you don't need them. The AI is also really slow, just observe it: They move like a tank. They run, stop, turn, then continue running. I know the game does control like a tank, but at least with a human partner they are much more natural especially with the path-taking to get to you. I'll tell you this: replaying it with maxed out upgrades, armor and infinite ammo, all of these issues are completely eliminated because you really don't need to pick up anything nor do any inventory management anymore, and you're not really struggling in any moment anyways as you're overpowered: just play and kill. But try playing through the game on Veteran on a clean slate and you'll get a refresher on why this game is frustrating with the AI. Being good at the game will definitely mitigate some of these issues, but not all sadly.

And I'm not the only one for sure. The plethora of complaints were enough that CAPCOM made RE6 partners invincible and completely eradicated the inventory management system because it just didn't work well with the AI at all. Not to say that I like what we got there, but it's definitely a less frustrating experience.