• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't dislike it. I enjoyed my time with it overall, but it's definitely one of my least favorite in the series.

The only one I haven't really been able to get any enjoyment of has been the first Revelations. I went back to my playthrough last weekend and it's just such a slog.

I only played RE0 for the first time on the ps4 with the remaster and my thirst for old school was at a frenzy which probably helped my enjoyment a lot more. It's the worst of the fixed camera games so I can see how people playing it on release could be left with a bad taste.

I haven't finished Rev1 yet. I bought the remaster for 360 and my experience was very mixed. The big cruise ship was a super cool location which from what I played I really liked. Then the bits of the ship were so bad that I put it down and never got back to it. Which is a shame because I really do love the cruise ship as an RE location.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I like the REmake and RE0 themes that came out with the save music. I wish you could do with PS4 theme what you can with PS3 and use their icons + sounds with your own custom background. Using your own background on PS4 just reverts everything else to default. :/

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I like the REmake and RE0 themes that came out with the save music. I wish you could do with PS4 theme what you can with PS3 and use their icons + sounds with your own custom background. Using your own background on PS4 just reverts everything else to default. :/

I hope with PS5 they do something new and unique with the themes.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like I've seen so many people discussing datamine stuff outside of the datamine thread and it's really annoying me tbh.
I just want this week to hurry up now, so close.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

Fucking hell, Capcom.

You know what the worst RE enemy is? Moths. Fucking moths and their egg laying poisoning bullshit. Thank christ I'm past that section of the game. They don't show up again, right? THEY DON'T SHOW UP AGAIN, RIGHT?!

Also I'd like to point out another aspect of poor game design from Code Veronica. Give the player a boss fight, thus encouraging them to bring all their best shit to the fight. Punish the player by making them lose everything they took once the game switches to Chris.

That's not even the worst example of that in Code Veronica. Have fun.

Thanks, will definitely try to take it down this weekend. What's considered the definitive version (or does it matter?) I have easy access to the gamecube version and a CRT if that makes a difference.

Doesn't really matter but if you want the intended expereince go with the GCN and CRT.

What is it with Code Veronica and making shit missable? Man this game is just full of poor design decisions.

Yeah, I missed the submachine guns and almost missed the magnum on my playthrough. I was considering going for the Platinum on PS4 but I gave Onimusha's remaster a shot and it's a way better game then CV so I'm playing that lol.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
That's not even the worst example of that in Code Veronica. Have fun..

Were you thinking of this fella?

34632.png

Because this might be the single most annoying fight in the entire Resident Evil franchise. Although some battles in RE6 would make it run for its money.

Thinking about enemies in CV a bit more, I think it's easier to say which enemies aren't annoying. Even classic like Hunters can become so because they are so hard to hit. Besides the first fight with Alexia and some moments with those one arm things, I don't think I ever had fun while fighting in that game.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I remember getting stuck on the Tyrant fight at the end of the first disc of Code: Veronica on Dreamcast back in the summer of 2000.

After that, I used the Dreamcast browser to download a save file from GameFAQs with everything unlocked, and just played through it with an infinite ammo magnum and stuff. Hah.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
SofNascimento, I haven't played CV yet, but I just wanna give a shoutout to RE6's shit tier boss fights. I love watching Simmons transform back and forth 300 times, not knowing whether I'm doing any damage or not, and doing the same masher QTE where you pound his face in for the billionth time!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
SofNascimento, I haven't played CV yet, but I just wanna give a shoutout to RE6's shit tier boss fights. I love watching Simmons transform back and forth 300 times, not knowing whether I'm doing any damage or not, and doing the same masher QTE where you pound his face in for the billionth time!

That should have been RE6 sub-title. I lost count how many times I was "am I doing damage?", "should I keep shooting?", "what the hell am I suppose to be doing?"...

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

34632.png

Because this might be the single most annoying fight in the entire Resident Evil franchise. Although some battles in RE6 would make it run for its money.

Thinking about enemies in CV a bit more, I think it's easier to say which enemies aren't annoying. Even classic like Hunters can become so because they are so hard to hit. Besides the first fight with Alexia and some moments with those one arm things, I don't think I ever had fun while fighting in that game.

I was actually talking about the character-switching shit... but most of the enemies suck too, yeah. :P

Honestly, RE6's boss fights would have been significantly better if they just has a health bar or something.

Oct 28, 2017
All the Resident Evil games have issues with damage feedback, especially during boss battles where the enemies are bullet sponges. RE6 is easily the worst about this, especially during the meat t-rex boss. Doing that as Ada is tedium.

Oct 28, 2017
Code Veronica's enemies have been so damn shitty so far. Even enemies that seem like they should be cool end up being annoying. Like the Bandersnatches. Cool design and I like the fact they can climb up to upper levels quickly to cut you off. But entering a room and being hit by an arm off screen kept pissing me off. It's not fun. And don't fucking get me started ON THOSE FUCKING MOTHS JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

34632.png

Is that the one where it's in the water? I always pick up the item then run back out the room. I don't think I ever bothered to fight it.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It is. And I just assumed you had to kill it for some reason. Later I discovered it wasn't even the only optional boss in the game. You can avoid others too.
I remember constantly getting electrocuted by it and not being able to get a shot on it. Really annoying, glad you can just leave the room. What were the other bosses you can avoid? The other one I know of is the giant worm, but can't think of any others at the moment.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I believe the giant spider can also be avoided.
Ah yeah.

CV really does have some annoying bosses, though, I remember dying on Nosferatu was so annoying because the last time you could save was so far back. Hated the bit with Steve and his axe too. Still love the game though, used to play it all the time on my Dreamcast. The graphics were so amazing at the time.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I don't remember really having a problem with any of Code Veronica outside of wanting to murder Steve. I'm such an ammo hoarder that I was ready for the plane deal. Some of the puzzle backtracking wasn't great and I did look at a CVXfreak guide once or twice I think.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I hate CVX's final boss. So many annoying things spamming you while you're trying to charge that stupid gun. I like CVX overall more than Zero, but Zero has a wayyyy better final boss.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I have a feeling it won't happen, but I kind of want a CV remake just to fix its many issues. Subjective as it may be, I find that the game has the weakest atmosphere and music of the classic titles. There's a lot of room for improvement in terms of its presentation; it's so poor at building a horror atmosphere that it ends up feeling like an action game with Resident Evil gameplay to me.

Oct 28, 2017
Up to Antarctica with Chris in Code Veronica. I actually enjoyed the prison section with Chris quite a bit. I welcome the return of Hunters. They had to bring back an old enemy to finally get an enemy type that doesn't suck. Interesting choice to have red hunters that can poison you.

So when I got to Antarctica I went down to the save room and was like "Those fucking moths better be gone!"

YAY! THE MOTHS ARE GONE YAAAAAYYY!!

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I think it's Antarctica feeling relatively unique as a location, with a hell of an introduction (silly and interrupted by terrible "romance" scenes as it is), that keeps me coming back to it. I guess it's drab too, but ... somehow more ice makes it engaging. Color wise there's more going on, too. It also has one of the better tracks in the game.

Oct 28, 2017
Code Veronica feels like it's coming to its conclusion!

Just
escaped mutated Steve and fought first form Alexia as Chris. I get the feeling the devs were expecting me to give a shit about Steve at this point. "I love you" LMAO. Hope I get to play as Claire again at some point. I forgot to open the case in my box with the lockpick. Wonder what was in it.

I'm liking the game a lot more than I did before. There's some good things in this game. There's also some really, really bad things. But this play has raised Code Veronica a couple places in the franchise for me.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Code Veronica feels like it's coming to its conclusion!

Just
escaped mutated Steve and fought first form Alexia as Chris. I get the feeling the devs were expecting me to give a shit about Steve at this point. "I love you" LMAO. Hope I get to play as Claire again at some point. I forgot to open the case in my box with the lockpick. Wonder what was in it.

I'm liking the game a lot more than I did before. There's some good things in this game. There's also some really, really bad things. But this play has raised Code Veronica a couple places in the franchise for me.
I hope you made extra saves

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I feels kind of weird to look forward to playing RE2 upon release, but knowing that there is already a 10 page discussion thread. I feel like I reach whatever points of contention people might have with the game, that discussion will have largely already been had.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'm alone in this but I absolutely detest RE5's boss fights (and the RE5 campaign as a whole). A couple years ago myself and a friend who never played the game before did online coop through the campaign on PC. This is where I learned how much Capcom broke the game by removing GFWL and then adding it back in once people threw a shitfit about the lack of split screen so we had to install a bunch of fan made patches to even get the game running properly.

I went into this playthrough remembering the RE5 campaign as one of the great ones in the series but now I regard it as one of the absolute worst. From the boss battles that we actually had a worse time with than the RE6 bosses (the number of times I exclaimed during RE5 boss fights "is this working as intended or is this an undocumented RE5 PC bug?" happened far more than in our RE6 play through) to the dumb story that doesnt truly become fun until the last 30 minutes of the game, to the terrible encounter design in the back half of the game (with the mediocre to good encounter design in the first half of the campaign), and to RE5 managing to be both the best and worst in terms of representation in the series all added up to us hating the campaign.* (the section with the Lickers still rocks). We also disliked Desperate Escape (though Lost in Nightmares and Mercenaries still rules).

After RE5 we both experienced all the campaigns of RE6 for the first time and against all odds we really enjoyed them. Even with that, RE5 is an undeniably a better designed and tighter game than RE6 in many ways but me and my friend had so much more fun with RE6's campaigns. RE6 is just such a batshit crazy game in basically every conceivable way. It dragged at moments and could be frustrating in spots but overall we had way more fun (NOTE: we played through both RE5 & RE6 on the hardest difficulties available).

*Josh and Sheva are undeniably awesome but I fully believe they only exist so that the game wasn't about a white dude going to Africa and murdering a bunch of infected black people. Yes the crowds aren't entirely made up of black people but they are predominantly made up of black people. Also the tribal stuff just sucks. The narrative of "look at how these evil white people from Tricell took advantage of these simple natives" is kind of a bad look too in a way I'm sure Capcom didn't anticipate. I certainly think it all comes from a well meaning (if very ignorant) place but it still sucks. The Chinese enemies in RE6 also suck but they're not even on the same level as what's on display in RE5.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not a fan of 5's boss fights outside of the uroboros ones where you have to torch it. The rest are either too gimmicky or too dull. None have cool designs, either.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I love RE5 bosses, they designed with co-op in mind and many require effective co-op to beat without issue. Plus it's easy to tell when you're actually hurting them, unlike RE6 which have a bunch of scripted nonsense where it not clear if you can even hurt them.

RE5 on hardest really isn't for a new game playthrough though, pretty sure it intended for NG+ with upgraded and infinite weapons. The lab Uroborus fight on Pro it not even worth trying to use the flamethrower, it'll empty before enough damage done to expose weak spots.
Also the Wesker/Jill and Wesker hanger fight are all amazing.l

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
4 and 7 have easily the best bosses in the series imo. If 7 had just 1 or 2 more good ones then it would probably be the clear number 1. Even 7's "shoot the obvious glowing weak points" boss is more fun than the others of that ilk.