• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that just goes to show that the later games are not all that different from RE2 and RE3. By horror standards, RE has always been pretty action heavy compared to the likes of Alone in the Dark and Clock Tower. Even the first game, despite being more Adventure-oriented, gave you plenty of enemies to shoot, explode, or decapitate.

Granted, the later games were more linear in their design as opposed to the older Metroidvania style of level design, which I believe has always been the biggest divider among fans of the series.

Agreed, one of my fave things about REmake 2 is that most people seem to be enjoying action RE gameplay/combat just fine even though they would probably be complaining about it otherwise.

REmake 2 is definitely an action RE set in a classic RE style location/progression. You may not have your melee attack animations or parries but you just replace those with knifing and item countering instead, in all cases you need precision shooting to be effective.

The RE games that I'm really wanting to return to right now while being on a REmake 2 high are the action ones, not the classics. That's the itch it's leaving.

There is a small difference between there beeing plenty enemies to shot and beeing a constantly actionfest without any horroratmosphere.
The original games tried to emulate their horror from the perspectives and that you had to manage your ammunition and that you sometimes had to run past by some enemies to save ammo. In 5 and 6 you enter a room, kill everything and move on, while shit goes down like in a Call of Duty game.
Also I dont see any proof that the original games arent that different when the Remake of one of those three games has one boss that is like something from two games that released before said remake.

That's the thing though, people have been too busy blaming the action part instead of the campaign design.

Many of us have said for a long time that RE6's problem wasn't the action or the combat but rather the poor pacing/campaign design (which is also what DMC4 suffered from). That the game would have been much better if they threw less money at it and made the campaign shorter and more focused.

And that's exactly what they did with REmake 2, it's an action RE set in a better designed (and much more compact) campaign.

That being said though I still appreciate the effort that went into RE6 and its campaigns. Love the fact that you have multiple campaigns to choose from (all very different compared to REmake 2's Claire/Leon/A/B runs) and led by different characters. So whenever I return to it I can keep things fresh by tackling a different one and with a different character.

Man, I had no bullets. Nothing. I used them all on the previous fight. Luckily that fight gives you two large Gunpowders so they kinda prepped for this situation lol.

I wasted a lot on him in the first run as well but on the B run I came across a tip about the eyes. Essentially, shooting the eyes is the only way you can damage him, they gave him so much HP for the rest of his body that it's impossible to kill him with all the ammo in the game otherwise.

So weapons that do AOE attacks are especially effective since they attack multiple eyes at the same time, such as the grenades and Spark.

I was really surprised at how fast he went down on the B run after I focused on the eyes. Took just three or so grenades and less than half the ammo of the gaitling gun.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That's the thing though, people have been too busy blaming the action part instead of the campaign design.

Many of us have said for a long time that RE6's problem wasn't the action or the combat but rather the poor pacing/campaign design (which is also what DMC4 suffered from). That the game would have been much better if they threw less money at it and made the campaign shorter and more focused.

And that's exactly what they did with REmake 2, it's an action RE set in a better designed (and much more compact) campaign.
Agreed, REmake 2 is a really perfect mix between Resident Evil 4 and the old design. I still would have prefered a game with fixed camera angles, but REmake 2 is indeed a perfect best of booth world and I hope they carry on this way. I think it has still a few flaws, but overall its as perfect as you can make a Resident Evil game in 2019.

That being said though I still appreciate the effort that went into RE6 and its campaigns. Love the fact that you have multiple campaigns to choose from (all very different compared to REmake 2's Claire/Leon/A/B runs) and led by different characters. So whenever I return to it I can keep things fresh by tackling a different one and with a different character.
Completly agreed, RE 6 is a content monster.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
An interview/podcast with Leon's new VA. He's a massive Rezi nerd (Capcom in general, oldest game he's played is Megaman on the NES when he was seven) dude seems super chill in general. Really nice and humble guy

Still cant believe the soothingvoice coming out of that handsome mans mouth though.

I was expecting some big deep voice.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
holy fuck, done listening.

He's such a fan and nerd holy shit.

Would love a stream of him playing the game.

Oct 28, 2017
Right guys. Please give me a nice quick answer to this. To zombies who's legs you shot off and left to crawl grow legs back and get up after a certain amount of time/backtracking?

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Completed Claire B. Don't think I'm going to do Claire A and Leon B, since from what I read there isn't much differences between Leon A and Claire B. It's a fun game, though the two issues I had with it are Mr.X and the second play through not making sense. Mr.X is a downgraded version of Jack Baker, dunno how they made a worse stalker character when RE7 was released before. Mr.X ended up becoming more of annoyance than being scary once you figure out that Mr.X can never catch up to you lol. I feel as if they should have never given him a theme, so his music doesn't give it away that he's near you and it would be far more scary if the dude shows up right in front of you without any music cue, and I would have given him a charge attack so that he could catch you. Make it so you have to stun or dodge to get away from his charge attack to balance him. As of now he's not really much of a threat. The second play through doesn't make much sense story wise, you're fighting the same exact bosses as Leon in the same exact locations, doin the same exact puzzles. And I'm going to assume there are multiple Mr.X or like someone said he's regenerating, but besides that I though the second play though would be a lot more different than Claire having access to three different rooms than Leon's. Wish there were more boss variety to in the two different play throughs and that they visited more different areas.

I liked the game tho, police and the jail cell section are easily my favorite sections of the game. Surprisingly loved how the maps were designed in this game, despite me hating backtracking in most games. Zombies actually felt like a threat and freaked me out when they would respawn or get back up. Making it so that you don't know if they're really dead or not was a great idea (well besides popping their head.) Despite fire rounds grenade launcher being the most useful weapon, Leon's shotgun is probably my favorite weapon in the game. Nothing is more satisfying than getting right up to the Zombies and popping their heads. The ending though... sorry Claire, Leon only has eyes for Ada lol. The game isn't as scary RE7, nor do I do think the game is as fun to play as RE6 but it still is an enjoyable time and I would recommend to people.

RE Games that I liked
1. Resident Evil 6
2. Resident Evil 7
3. Resident Evil 5
4. Resident Evil Remake 2
5. Resident Evil Revelations

RE games that I disliked
-Resident Evil Revelations 2
-Resident Evil 4
-Resident Evil Remake
Now I wish they would go back and remake RE1 again in RE2 style.

Oct 28, 2017
The threat from Mr X largely comes from the enemies you've left alive in areas you need to backtrack while he's chasing you. Taken on his own yeah Mr X would be a weak stalker easy to evade. But when you factor in him chasing you while attempting to navigate round zombies and lickers, he's a threat and provides tension.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Huh. Well I don't remember leaving this many zombies in this area. More must have spawned or woken up I guess.
They'll flood in from unboarded windows but yeah, the ones whose kneecaps I had destroyed were still sucking carpet when I came back.
The threat from Mr X largely comes from the enemies you've left alive in areas you need to backtrack while he's chasing you. Taken on his own yeah Mr X would be a weak stalker easy to evade. But when you factor in him chasing you while attempting to navigate round zombies and lickers, he's a threat and provides tension.
Yep. Throw in Lickers into the mix and it's a bad scene.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The threat of Mr. X is in the first playthrough, after that you know how to deal with him and that's that.

Which is fine by me, classic RE is supposed to be slower and more methodical. I don't need someone chasing me 24/7 and forcing me to rush all the time.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Mr X was in my room last night, it could have been one of those weird you're awake but still sleeping moments.

But I swear, he stood in the corner, hat and all.

Fuck man. This game.

Oct 28, 2017
Daaaaaamn first Birkin fight in hardcore takes way more ammo than standard. Actually I kinda liked it that was the more enjoyable than he was in both A and B on standard.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Question about RE2 :R.
Im at the cable car to ride it to the NEST. Ada says be prepared, could be one way trip. I just wasted a lot of ammunition (im verry low on ammo) on the boss. Should I go to the nest or back? Im still missing the Heart-key

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Question about RE2 :R.
Im at the cable car to ride it to the NEST. Ada says be prepared, could be one way trip. I just wasted a lot of ammunition (im verry low on ammo) on the boss. Should I go to the nest or back? Im still missing the Heart-key
Have you picked up all the ammo in the police station? Then yes, go to nest, you will find ammo there too.

And the heart key is Claire only.

Oct 28, 2017
This game has one of the worst uses of adaptive difficulty I've ever seen. Not implemented well at all. This kinda thing needs to be more subtle. If adaptive difficulty is done right then you shouldn't even know it's there.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I guess we'll know the full extent of the mode by the time it launches in Japan. I guess in like 7 hours or so.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game has one of the worst uses of adaptive difficulty I've ever seen. Not implemented well at all. This kinda thing needs to be more subtle. If adaptive difficulty is done right then you shouldn't even know it's there.

I'm assuming you are referring to the number of shots it starts to take and the lowering of the critical head shot rate?

From what I understand if you don't want to deal with adaptive difficulty then you can play on Assisted or Hardcore, they don't have the mechanic.

Honestly though, when I popped that first head on Standard with a single handgun bullet I thought it was too good to be true to have that happening regularly from the getgo. And surely enough it went down as the game progressed.

Still, even with that you get a TON of ammo on Standard so it's not really a problem. There's also the fact that the entire point of the shotgun is to one shot heads so handguns being able to do it all the time wouldn't really make sense.

If you want a game in the genre with a really high critical shot rate then check out The Evil Within 2. The first update you get for your gun says that it will give you a 30% chance of landing one but honestly it felt more like a 70% chance, I lost count of how many crits I got super fast.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I'm assuming you are referring to the number of shots it starts to take and the lowering of the critical head shot rate?

From what I understand if you don't want to deal with adaptive difficulty then you can play on Assisted or Hardcore, they don't have the mechanic.

Honestly though, when I popped that first head on Standard with a single handgun bullet I thought it was too good to be true to have that happening regularly from the getgo. And surely enough it went down as the game progressed.

Still, even with that you get a TON of ammo on Standard so it's not really a problem. There's also the fact that the entire point of the shotgun is to one shot heads so handguns being able to do it all the time wouldn't really make sense.

If you want a game in the genre with a really high critical shot rate then check out The Evil Within 2. The first update you get for your gun says that it will give you a 30% chance of landing one but honestly it felt more like a 70% chance, I lost of count of how many crits I got super fast.
Actually hardcore does have adaptive difficulty. Start a new game on hardcore. Take a bite from the first zombie. Let it kill you. Press continue and see what happens if you let it bite you again. Notice it takes you down to caution instead of danger. In addition, die enough on hardcore and watch your critical hits get more frequent. It's all very blatant.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually hardcore does have adaptive difficulty. Start a new game on hardcore. Take a bite from the first zombie. Let it kill you. Press continue and see what happens if you let it bite you again. Notice it takes you down to caution instead of danger. In addition, die enough on hardcore and watch your critical hits get more frequent. It's all very blatant.

Interesting, I haven't tried hardcore yet but have seen a lot of people complain about getting taken to Danger from one zombie attack in it.

They could patch in some consistency if there are a lot of complaints I guess but I don't think most will have an issue with it, or realize that the adaptive difficulty is there at all.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Considering people can't even nail down what it actually affects, I'd say it's pretty successful. All that's been confirmed by data mining is it changes damage done and damage taken, that's it. Generally there isn't a noticable change in damage done if you're doing well, and you typically won't notice the change in damage taken either because the health brackets are so big (i.e. 361-800 hp is Caution). Not to mention if you rarely die then you're pretty much always going to be at the max "rank" for your difficulty level, so it isn't changing.

If I hadn't seen it mentioned before playing I probably wouldn't have even thought about it, especially because I didn't die much. I also think the individual zombie health, which varies wildly, fucks with people's heads.
Hardcore is a bit of a different story - you can only move between two levels/ranks of difficulty. The max (which you start at the lower end of, so you'd see a difference if you die immediately) 9, and 8. But unlike the other ranks these have a massive difference in damage taken - 200% on 8 and 300% on 9. Damage done is exactly the same at 70% though.

There's no evidence that crits are more frequent on rank 8 than 9. All that's mainly known about crit chance is it relates to how much damage you do and different weapons have different modifiers for it. Considering damage done is consistent and is always at 70% on Hardcore, you're crits probably aren't getting more or less frequent.

Last edited:

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh, the '98 costumes don't do anything for Ada and Sherry like I was expecting. :(

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I hadn't seen it mentioned before playing I probably wouldn't have even thought about it, especially because I didn't die much. I also think the individual zombie health, which varies wildly, fucks with people's heads.

This.

I wasn't even considering something was happening behind the scenes until I saw people posting about it after I finished the game a couple of times.

It was taking more bullets to take out enemies as the game progressed but I didn't think anything of it since it's normal for enemies to become harder the further you get in games.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Tofu 😭

I got to the courtyard and when an Ivy grabbed me the camera spun so much I was confused where I was and ran backwards. Then died.

I will beat this mode. 🤣

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
latest
Now I'm going through Claire's B scenario, wonder if I will be able to beat it before tomorrow's DLC.

Also, happy Valentine's day!!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Welp, at least they will have to bring Jill back for REmake 3, that's something lol

Now, talking about RE8 would be amazing...

There are three RE games coming, one is R3make which she should be the sole protagonist (although some people say Carlos should have a major campaign as well, which for me is unthinkable) and she should be in at one of the other two. After all, it's been a long time since she was in a major game, especially a major game as a protagonist.

Oct 28, 2017
I literally only this second realised that happy valentines day in the context of this thread is referring to Jill Valentine. I feel shame.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
There are three RE games coming, one is R3make which she should be the sole protagonist (although some people say Carlos should have a major campaign as well, which for me is unthinkable) and she should be in at one of the other two. After all, it's been a long time since she was in a major game, especially a major game as a protagonist.
2 more?? Did I miss something? Where's the info on that?
I would assume that they are going to be REmake 3, RE8, REv3

I literally only this second realised that happy valentines day in the context of this thread is referring to Jill Valentine. I feel shame.
You should really be ashamed of yourself!! lol
In fact, even Julia Voth posted something related to Jill on her facebook 😍

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
2 more?? Did I miss something? Where's the info on that?
I would assume that they are going to be REmake 3, RE8, REv3

It was a post from Dusk Golem, I can't seem to find it now. But he mentioned that there are three RE games in development, RE3, RE8 and another one. Capcom aim to release them in 2020, 2021 and 2022, but he also said things might change during development...

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a post from Dusk Golem, I can't seem to find it now. But he mentioned that there are three RE games in development, RE3, RE8 and another one. Capcom aim to release them in 2020, 2021 and 2022, but he also said things might change during development...

Sweet.

Would love it if the third was Rev3 (with a proper budget) or a full on action RE (with a proper budget).

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the reply!
I would expect the following
REmake 3: 2020
RE 8: 2021
Revelations 3/Mercenaries game (wishful thinking lol): 2022

Can't wait to know more...
Dusk should have said if we will see Jill again in the timeline after 5 :/

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'll argue that REmake 3 should be the game that Capcom bring back all those RE6 movement options, because it's the most action oriented classic RE game.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loaded up RE6 for the first time in a while and went straight for the Sherry campaign (due to RE2R hype).

I always picked Sherry but this time forced myself to go with Jake to see his side of things.

Having an absolute blast. The combat is still top notch and the chemistry between Jake and Sherry is so good. Feeling more for Sherry when she talks about her past, thanks to RE2R.

I'll argue that REmake 3 should be the game that Capcom bring back all those RE6 movement options, because it's the most action oriented classic RE game.

Nah, it should be similar to RE2R. They hit the sweet spot where most fans are happy.

Make it like RE6 and a ton of the fans will be complaining left and right.

Just make a separate proper follow up for RE6 so it doesn't have to deal with the hate as much from 'wronged' fans.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Just make a separate proper follow up for RE6 so it doesn't have to deal with the hate as much from 'wronged' fans.
My worry is that we'll never see a true follow-up to RE6, in terms of game mechanics. They'll put it behind them and give us the meh Revelations combat (one melee attack per character, ugh) for future action RE titles.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Loaded up RE6 for the first time in a while and went straight for the Sherry campaign (due to RE2R hype).

I always picked Sherry but this time forced myself to go with Jake to see his side of things.

Having an absolute blast. The combat is still top notch and the chemistry between Jake and Sherry is so good. Feeling more for Sherry when she talks about her past, thanks to RE2R.

My man, what I love most about RE6 is how all the stories kinda connect and they meet each other.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
And nothing of value would have been lost.

They can do another franchise with these mechanics.
False.

RE4 is best action RE scenario design, RE6 is best action RE combat mechanics. A game with the best of both worlds would be a thing of beauty. I don't know how good these mechanics would even be if they just dropped them into some other random series, because RE has some of the best action heroes already.