• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/5wt8ep/fanart_bakers_own_a_large_house/

rf9tcsdu9qiy.jpg

This is fucking cool

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So started playing some Darkside Chronicles last night; and while I think UC is a better game in the lightgun sense; I do love me the production values that went into the R.P.D in Darkside Chronicles and it does feel like the sections you do go through is nostalgia goodness (You know, for its time and what it is; I forgot you went into the R.P.D in UC and how cheap it felt in comparison). The Tyrant in RE2 is actually pretty intimidating when you first come across him and I feel like it's a testament to the design of "Mr. X" that such a simple monster design manages to be so wonderfully effective in every iteration we see from the classic RE2 to the Remake version.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
So started playing some Darkside Chronicles last night; and while I think UC is a better game in the lightgun sense; I do love me the production values that went into the R.P.D in Darkside Chronicles and it does feel like the sections you do go through is nostalgia goodness (You know, for its time and what it is; I forgot you went into the R.P.D in UC and how cheap it felt in comparison). The Tyrant in RE2 is actually pretty intimidating when you first come across him and I feel like it's a testament to the design of "Mr. X" that such a simple monster design manages to be so wonderfully effective in every iteration we see from the classic RE2 to the Remake version.
I wish the Move controllers weren't so expensive or I would love to try those games. I've been wanting to play them since they first came out on the Wii.

Btw PS1 RE2 on EU PSN store is €10... That's a ridiculous price for such an old game and it never goes on sale. :(

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
With the release of the DMCV demo (and more to come), I have more faith that Capcom will release a demo for REmake 2.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Move controllers weren't so expensive or I would love to try those games. I've been wanting to play them since they first came out on the Wii.
Before PSVR they were dirt cheap.

But they suck for lightgun (or any aiming) type use anyway, you don't aim like with the Wii IR, you just have a reticle you kinda guide with the glowing ball, no need to even point, can hold the controller upright. Playing with a controller is better imo. Playing on Wii is best.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
Are you playing on ps3 or wii? Im curious about getting a wii to play Darkside Chronicles (and other games) and the motion controller would be cheaper .

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I think it's been a decade since the last time I played RE2 so I decided to play the game again (Claire A/Leon B) and here are some loosely organized thoughts.

Overall, the game is even better than I remember. It's such a thoroughly well crafted game, with superb pacing, characters and gameplay. An all time classic no doubt and a lesson of how a sequel should be made.

(On Chief Irons) I had completely forgotten that Chief Irons was such a sociopath. I remember him being corrupted but by Juno, the guy was a sick bastard. I wonder how he will be presented in the remake.

(On William Birkin) Visually speaking, Birkin has probably the coolest evolutions of the franchise. Seeing him go from a fairly human figure, then getting more claws, more arms, new heads, new giant eyes, becoming a sort of huge dog and ending in a shapeless blob of flash is nothing short of amazing ... I do hope the remake doesn't skip a single one and show him is all his glory.

(On death animations) I love how you had this finish moves from enemies, at least bosses. Once, Birkin stunned Claire with a smaller arm and used the big one to merciless impale her, quite cinematic. In another, Mr. X crushed Leon's head under his boot. The upcoming remake has to work hard to match that.

(On Mr. X and Nemesis) Talking about Mr. X, I took a special attention to him. First because he looks amazing in the remake, but also to more precisely be able to compare him to Nemesis (considering how many people see the RE2 moster as a kind of predecesor to the RE3 one). And I have to say, he is considerably less similar to Nemesis than I remember. The similarities are on a superficial level only, but the fact that Mr. X is so slow and, compared to Nemesis, easy to take down, make him a completely different type of threat. And this is not to say one is better than the other, only that the way in which Mr. X works in RE2, how he threats and challenges the player, is completely different compared to how Nemesis does it in the sequel.

(On the bowgun): What a useless weapon! Particularly when you compare it with the amazing shotgun. It would be cooler if it shot a single bolt that could pierce zombies, and maybe stick them to walls... the lovely granade launcher makes up for it though, I wonder if they will have freeze rounds in REmake 2?

(On 'The 4th Survivor') Unfortunately I did not unlock it. I have not played that mode before and really want to do it. Maybe I'll go one more time.

(On different scenarios) That is definifely one of the most appealing things about this game. Playing one campaign, and then another, and then seeing how they connect is amazing. The only 'but' I have about this game is probably that some puzzles are equal in both scenarios and could have used a few twists to make them fresh.

(Closing notes) Revisiting this gem made me want REmake 2 more than ever before. I'm having to hold myself to not go and pre-order it immediataly. I'll wait a little more, but if only they throw a bone in the game to RE3, a very nice easter egg or, in the best scenario, a tease of what is to come, I won't be able to resist anymore and will have to pre-order it. Or at least buy it close to release and pay full price.

Last edited:

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Seen a few tweets that there may be a demo released on 21st of December. Anyone know any truth to this?
So no RE2 demo huh :D :(

The main source of this seems to be that Anthony guy on Twitter who the last couple of weeks was touting a new trailer debuting at TGA along with a demo out on the 11th or 21st, but he got called out again and debunked by Capcom's Kat over the weekend.

He deleted his Twitter account shortly after. lol

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The main source of this seems to be that Anthony guy on Twitter who the last couple of weeks was touting a new trailer debuting at TGA along with a demo out on the 11th or 21st, but he got called out again and debunked by Capcom's Kat over the weekend.

He deleted his Twitter account shortly after. lol

Oh god Anthony, I knew it. Haha. Dude was touting a CFW PS4 as proof he had the demo.

I don't get why people like that share / conjure up fake news like that when it's obviously going to be called out. 🤷‍

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
So, over the holidays I plan to finally play the first Resident Evil.
I will play REmake on PC - is there any recommendation how I should play it? From what I know there are several settings for controls and character / appearances.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will play REmake on PC - is there any recommendation how I should play it? From what I know there are several settings for controls and character / appearances.

Play with classic tank controls, the new ones break the difficulty as enemies not designed with the new controls in mind.

Initial difficulty choices are Normal, Easy and Very easy (but they not called this), pick the hardest one which is Normal, easy is too easy imo.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
In terms of what the differences are between the two protagonists; Jill offers a more easier playthrough as she has more inventory space (8 spaces) and has a lockpick that can unlock certain drawers and doors. Her playthrough also includes Barry in the story.

Chris has less inventory (6 spaces) and needs to find small keys to unlock certain drawers and doors. Although, he does carry a lighter in a spare slot which is helpful in some situations. He makes up for it though by being able to take more damage and I think he also has more of a chance of headshotting zombies with the handgun. His playthrough includes Rebecca in the story.

There are some other minor differences, but those are the main ones.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

- Classic (tank) controls, since the new (modern?) controls breaks enemies and can be sometimes a pain in the ass with constantly changing cameras
- preferably 4:3 ratio; widescreen with pan&scan can look better (after all, the image fills the whole screen) but the backgrounds can be cut-off sometimes; plus, having 4:3 ration, where backgrounds are zoomed out, helps hiding artifacts in backgrounds that were "remade" poorly.

As for the characters:
Jill
+ has 8 spaces in the inventory, which means less backtracking
+ has a lockpick, so you don't need to fetch small keys every now and then to open some locks
+ has quicker access to a shotgun
+ has access to grenade launcher
+ has Barry, who can help you every now and then, including a fight with a boss or two
+ Richard can help you during the Yawn fight
- has less health, can easily die with just 3 zombie bites
- having grenade launcher means Jill will receive less ammo for shotgun and magnum throughout the game, and grenade launcher ammo is split between three types of rounds (at some points in the game you will have to carry more weapons if you want to be sure you won't suddenly be out of ammo)

Chris
+ is much more taugh than Jill (can survive more damage)
+ IIRC his gun is better / has higher chance of critical hit (headshot)
+ has grenades as defense weapons, which means instant kill + headshot
+ always has a lighter with him
+ Rebecca can fully heal you a couple of times for free
+/- don't have grenade launcher, so that means a lot more shotgun shells and magnum ammo throughout the game and less weapons to carry with him
- has only 6 spaces in the inventory and needs small keys to open some locks (much more backtracking)

So to sum this up, Jill is easier to play for a beginner (less backtracking and quicker access to more powerful weapons), but you will quickly need to learn how to avoid enemies if you want her to stay alive. With Chris you can have much more head on approach with enemies, but you will have to run back and forth to the item chests if you're not that familiar with puzzles and mansion layout yet.

Oct 30, 2017
I think I'm close to the end of RE7. Can anyone tell me how far I am percent wise?

I'm playing as Mia on a ship with Eveline. I had to watch a tape that showed their past. Also, after beating BOW monster Jack, the game makes you pick between Zoe and Mia on who to give the serum to. I picked Mia, can you actually pick Zoe or does the game end up making you pick Mia anyway? Like illusion of choice

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm close to the end of RE7. Can anyone tell me how far I am percent wise?

I'm playing as Mia on a ship with Eveline. I had to watch a tape that showed their past. Also, after beating BOW monster Jack, the game makes you pick between Zoe and Mia on who to give the serum to. I picked Mia, can you actually pick Zoe or does the game end up making you pick Mia anyway? Like illusion of choice

I'd say 80-85%, the last stretch is quick. You do have an actual choice, the difference is a boss fight or not, and a slightly different ending. Very slight.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I need a quick help here. I finished RE2 again, this time Leon A/Claire B and my main purpose was to unlock Hunk, which I was under the impression you could do if you beat both scenarios with a B rank. I did that, but did not unlock his mini campaign, searching the internet gave me mixed results so I'd like to ask here. How exactly do I unlock 'The 4th Survivor' minigame?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need a quick help here. I finished RE2 again, this time Leon A/Claire B and my main purpose was to unlock Hunk, which I was under the impression you could do if you beat both scenarios with a B rank. I did that, but did not unlock his mini campaign, searching the internet gave me mixed results so I'd like to ask here. How exactly do I unlock 'The 4th Survivor' minigame?
A rank on both A/B scenario, same save file. Normal difficulty.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I gather to get A rank I can't use special weapons. But special weapons are the unlockable ones only or does it also include any two slots weapons?

Only Unlockable ones go against the A. Spark Shot and Sub Machine Gun should be fine.

In other news, Resident Evil 2 Board Game has started shipping to UK backers, I'm really excited to get it! I had backed Dark Souls before this and I was impressed with that so I can't wait for RE2.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only Unlockable ones go against the A. Spark Shot and Sub Machine Gun should be fine.

In other news, Resident Evil 2 Board Game has started shipping to UK backers, I'm really excited to get it! I had backed Dark Souls before this and I was impressed with that so I can't wait for RE2.

It was a fun and challenging game from what I played of it. The only base mechanics I didn't get a chance to check out were boss battles and dealing with their individual decks.

Oct 30, 2017
I beat RE7 just now (thanks for the % responses btw). I loved it overall but man that last boss was a let down. Like all RE games, I was armed to the teeth by the end and was looking for a tough boss fight. Instead I got something cinematic that was more flash than substance. Ah well. Also Chris was not looking good in this artstyle.

I don't have the DLC other than Not a Hero which is free. I'll play through that next then I'm on to some other game in my backlog. If the season pass ever goes on sale maybe I'll get it. How are the 2 banned footage packs and End of Zoe? All of them including Not a Hero are very short according to howlongtobeat.com, doesn't seem worth it

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I beat RE7 just now (thanks for the % responses btw). I loved it overall but man that last boss was a let down. Like all RE games, I was armed to the teeth by the end and was looking for a tough boss fight. Instead I got something cinematic that was more flash than substance. Ah well. Also Chris was not looking good in this artstyle.

I don't have the DLC other than Not a Hero which is free. I'll play through that next then I'm on to some other game in my backlog. If the season pass ever goes on sale maybe I'll get it. How are the 2 banned footage packs and End of Zoe? All of them including Not a Hero are very short according to howlongtobeat.com, doesn't seem worth it

End of Zoe is fucking great. Joe Baker is perfect.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

"Not a Hero" is a proper ending to the game, since it ends Lucas' storyline, expands on his work with the agency, and explains what Umbrella Blue is and what Chris is doing there. It's OK, although with few frustrating moments.

"End of Zoe" brings some fresh air to the gameplay, due to Joe being mainly a melee fighter (he's punching and uppercutting enemies). It's fun and takes about 1-1.5 hour to beat, but I wouldn't say it's worth the $14.99 price tag (if you would want to buy it separately). It's also mostly a gameplay DLC with a story that can be summed up in one sentence.

Banned Footage packs contains a couple of mini-games and/or mini-scenarios. I personally liked "21" (a fun little card game) and "Daughters" (a prequel showing the downfall of Bakers' family) from Vol. 2. I would say you should really wait for the sale if you intend to buy it.

Oct 30, 2017
Just beat Not a Hero, it's good especially considering it was free. I was glad to see melee introduced for Chris' combat. 1 or 2 frustrating parts indeed and some trial and error moments that were cheap; frequent checkpoints made them easy to dismiss though. I'm good with the amount of content, not even interested in the other DLC anymore, I might watch them on youtube. On to the next game in my backlog, God of War. I'll be back here eventually because I have RE5 (played once during the PS3 days, don't remember shit besides boulder punching) and ORC (never played) in my backlog currently; will post when I fire them up.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I do wonder what they'll do to Jill's iconic outfit in the inevitable remake. I wonder if they'll go for a new outfit entirely, or change it to one of her unlockable ones.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
If they do a remake, hopefully they keep all the unlockable outfits, means we'd get to see Regina's outfit remade.