• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy that Resident Evil is back and getting the recognition a series with its legacy deserves.

I don't know why it brings me so much joy, but it really feels good to see people praising the things that made the classic games so good.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
thanks man! feels good... like beating Amon on the highest difficulty =)
I just "cheese" Amon with loads of weapon heat actions and health drinks. He certainly has no qualms about being a cheesy bastard, so I hit him right back with his own medicine!
I'm so happy that Resident Evil is back and getting the recognition a series with its legacy deserves.

I don't know why it brings me so much joy, but it really feels good to see people praising the things that made the classic games so good.
I was an action RE guy for the longest time, but after playing the phenomenal REmake 1, 2, and RE7 these past six months, I can't believe I was missing out on this caliber of game. Resident Evil as a whole sure is an amazing series, whether it's action, or classic survival horror. Can't wait to see where they go next.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
after getting S+ it's not fun to go around with a gatling gun. the only guys that can break through immediately and hurt me are lickers.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Started the game back up and was struggling because I kept running out of ammo. Rooms that I was sure I cleared out end up having the zombies respawn on my second visit. Started to just run away and this seems to be the best strategy. Just wished Leon had an unbreakable knife like Ethan.

Zambatoh

Oct 29, 2017
Started the game back up and was struggling because I kept running out of ammo. Rooms that I was sure I cleared out end up having the zombies respawn on my second visit. Started to just run away and this seems to be the best strategy. Just wished Leon had an unbreakable knife like Ethan.

The only rooms that have re spawning enemies are the ones with breakable glass windows. Otherwise the game does a pretty good job of keeping track of the aftermath for the duration of your play-through. You know... just in case you want to admire your own carnage.

Also if you shoot all the Mr. Raccoons, you'll get an unbreakable knife.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
The only rooms that have re spawning enemies are the ones with breakable glass windows. Otherwise the game does a pretty good job of keeping track of the aftermath for the duration of your play-through. You know... just in case you want to admire your own carnage.
I'm pretty sure I cleared out the room that had the Welcome Leon sign, the one with his desk. But when I came back to the room with the bolt cutters, there was a zombie right behind the door. There were no windows. :/

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm which version of Resident Evil Director's Cut is on the US PSN? I want to buy the Dualshock Version with the clown music, but the boxart looks like the original version.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no prob!

crosspost: since i found the final film,

comparisons:
ARqFpLyl.jpg

D4C4fZ4h.jpg

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Still playing through Leon A, and I have to say what happened. How did they go from Jack Baker to Mr.X, dude is like a worse version in everyway. I can't hide from him, he seems to know where I am even if I'm behind a column on the second floor of the lobby even though he just entered through the door from the first floor. Even if I run away, he seems to be teleporting near me. He's more annoying than scary now, since he runs at the speed of a grandpa so I can always outrun him if there are no other enemies. I'm getting freaked out more by the respawning zombies than him. Just let me be able to complete the puzzles in peace, all he's doing is making me waste time by running away or taking detours.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
The cutscenes in RE2 are so beautiful.

I would actually love to watch movies made in this style.

Such a visual treat holyfuck.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Watched Vendetta yesterday. It was servicable and had some good scenes. Also, Leon "John-Wicking" his way through a hallway was well done. BUT I feel like the gun sounds and impacts were weak, which really bothered me. And that chase scene.... I can't believe how bad it was. Wow.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone back to play the original RE2 and made it a bit into the sewers. Tougher than I remembered and I forgot so much, plus REmake 2 blurred my memory of certain things. It's still a great game though. I thought the Remake just expanded a lot of the game, but it also cut a lot of the original too. That the Remake is so good, makes it not matter. And that's a good thing, because it keeps the original as an essential play.

Also, having played some of the hardcore mode, I don't think it feels more like the original outside of the ribbons. In the original zombies never took you down to danger in one bite. I think the damage balance is better on standard. If only they gave the option for ink ribbons.

Oct 28, 2017
I've gone back to play the original RE2 and made it a bit into the sewers. Tougher than I remembered and I forgot so much, plus REmake 2 blurred my memory of certain things. It's still a great game though. I thought the Remake just expanded a lot of the game, but it also cut a lot of the original too. That the Remake is so good, makes it not matter. And that's a good thing, because it keeps the original as an essential play.

Also, having played some of the hardcore mode, I don't think it feels more like the original outside of the ribbons. In the original zombies never took you down to danger in one bite. I think the damage balance is better on standard. If only they gave the option for ink ribbons.
I've been screaming this since the game came out. Biggest issue with the game is the difficulty balancing. It was my biggest issue with RE7 too, and I had hopes they'd learn that lesson for RE2. They somehow made it even worse! Hate hardcore mode in RE2 and that being the only way to play with limited saves was a really poor design decision.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly wish Hardcore was a bit harder or if there was an additional difficulty past it. By the end of the game I'm stacked on health items and ammo and it becomes a cakewalk. It's definitely far easier than RE7's madhouse.

Would have been cool if there was a difficulty where Mr X could follow you everywhere as well.

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Madhouse in RE7. It was brilliant, changed the game up in interesting ways but never changed the core flow of the gameplay and what made RE7 good.

Hardcore in RE2? Zombies that eat your bullets and don't stagger from perfect shots, in addition to sending you you danger in one bite? Nah. That's not RE2. It's a completely different game, and one I don't want to play.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly wish Hardcore was a bit harder or if there was an additional difficulty past it. By the end of the game I'm stacked on health items and ammo and it becomes a cakewalk. It's definitely far easier than RE7's madhouse.

Would have been cool if there was a difficulty where Mr X could follow you everywhere as well.
Agreed, you can really stockpile your stuff after your first Hardcore run, so it'd be nice if there was a difficulty even past it. It's not close to the level of Madhouse's frustrating insta-deaths, in my eyes. Hardcore is way more fair, while still being damn intense the first time through.

And yeah, Mr. X needs to be able to follow you everywhere on Hardcore, save rooms and clock tower included. It's too comical being able to run into a room with an invisible barrier that Mr. X can't breach and decides to just walk away from.
I loved Madhouse in RE7. It was brilliant, changed the game up in interesting ways but never changed the core flow of the gameplay and what made RE7 good.

Hardcore in RE2? Zombies that eat your bullets and don't stagger from perfect shots, in addition to sending you you danger in one bite? Nah. That's not RE2. It's a completely different game, and one I don't want to play.
The fact that the zombies just keep coming and you're praying for that stagger or crit just adds to the fear and excitement, in my eyes. The stakes are just higher when one bite sends you into danger. Not only that, but their lunge distance and the way they'll actually chase you a little is pretty butt cheek clench inducing.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I beat 4th Survivor and all the Tofu modes and it was such a thrill. I need more. I want to play RE3 for the first time, but I see there were a billion versions with various differences. Is the PSX version on PSN still a decent version? I was thinking of playing on my Vita.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I beat 4th Survivor and all the Tofu modes and it was such a thrill. I need more. I want to play RE3 for the first time, but I see there were a billion versions with various differences. Is the PSX version on PSN still a decent version? I was thinking of playing on my Vita.

That would be a great way to play the original RE3, but be aware that you'll be at a slight disadvantage if you have to map L2 to a touch pad area (which lets ou aim at red barrels, etc automatically). I personally think it's fine though, and the game will likely look much better on the Vita's screen than any other modern set up (aside from framemeister).

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
That would be a great way to play the original RE3, but be aware that you'll be at a slight disadvantage if you have to map L2 to a touch pad area (which lets ou aim at red barrels, etc automatically). I personally think it's fine though, and the game will likely look much better on the Vita's screen than any other modern set up (aside from framemeister).
Thanks! I'm gonna go for it. I played MGS on Vita so I'm used to using the touch screen for the extra shoulder buttons.

Edit: One more question. Is it unreasonable to try to defeat Nemesis at each encounter on my first playthrough?

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Still taking my time with Leon A. Did find Chris' letter, didn't expect him to be a player haha. Dude is so dead serious in 5 and 6.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Thanks! I'm gonna go for it. I played MGS on Vita so I'm used to using the touch screen for the extra shoulder buttons.

Edit: One more question. Is it unreasonable to try to defeat Nemesis at each encounter on my first playthrough?

I feel like some people might tell you yes, but I don't think it is. Sometimes live selection can take him out, alleviating the ammo drain, though.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Still taking my time with Leon A. Did find Chris' letter, didn't expect him to be a player haha. Dude is so dead serious in 5 and 6.
The note from Chris
is him being 'covert' and telling Barry and Jill that he's gone to Europe to investigate Umbrella. He tells Barry to go with his family to stay away and tells Jill to let Claire know he's fine.
It's relatively clever.

As an aside, I think RE0 would have been a better game if Enrico was the lead instead of Rebecca. Like, him going through all that shit with Billy Coen and then getting killed by Wesker before telling anyone about it would have been an interesting if tragic twist. Also, being able to find Hip Pouches for each character, to expand your inventory slots by 2 would have been great.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I feel like some people might tell you yes, but I don't think it is. Sometimes live selection can take him out, alleviating the ammo drain, though.
Thank you. When you say live selection can take him out, does that still give you the special item drop? Or do you have to pick the option that makes you manually fight him?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the B scenarios worth playing in REmake 2? Any new story scenes to look forward to?

I like the variation between Leona A and Claire A just fine. If B is just rearranging the point of entry etc. then I dunno, I'd rather just stick to the A scenarios.

I'm pretty sure I cleared out the room that had the Welcome Leon sign, the one with his desk. But when I came back to the room with the bolt cutters, there was a zombie right behind the door. There were no windows. :/

Fairly certain that room stays cleared (both on Leon A and Claire A), I ran through it a ton of times after taking out the two zombies in there (one is in the office with the safe and the other pretends to be dead at one of the desks).

I think you might have thought that you finished off both zombies but one of them wasn't completely dead and stood up after you left.

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Are the B scenarios worth playing in REmake 2? Any new story scenes to look forward to?

I like the variation between Leona A and Claire A just fine. If B is just rearranging the point of entry etc. then I dunno, I'd rather just stick to the A scenarios.
Starting weapons are different. The change in the point of entry makes progression through the RPD feel significantly different imo. Item placements and puzzle solutions are different. Mr X. appearance is different. Some zombie placements are different. Adds kind of a final, final boss and an actual ending, so yes, technically new story scenes to look forward to.

It's certainly more varied than doing As with both characters, just not as much as people would like. I'm not sure why you would play both As if you planned on calling it quits after that instead of just doing A->B.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starting weapons are different. The change in the point of entry makes progression through the RPD feel significantly different imo. Item placements and puzzle solutions are different. Mr X. appearance is different. Some zombie placements are different. Adds kind of a final, final boss and an actual ending, so yes, technically new story scenes to look forward to.

It's certainly more varied than doing As with both characters, just not as much as people would like. I'm not sure why you would play both As if you planned on calling it quits after that instead of just doing A->B.

Thanks, I'll check them out then.

I did both As first because after I finished Claire A the screen said that the B run would have story differences. Can't know the differences if I haven't played both As first (is what I figured).

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks.

I did both As first because after I finished Claire A the screen said that the B run would have story differences. Can't know the differences if I haven't played both As first (is what I figured).
Hmm, I see. They differently could've done a better job at detailing what "2nd run" actually means.

And despite what I said it will still probably feel pretty samey if you've played both As, especially in the story department. I recommend playing Hardcore if you haven't yet or turning on the original OST. Anything to spice things up.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I see. They differently could've done a better job at detailing what "2nd run" actually means.

And despite what I said it will still probably feel pretty samey if you've played both As, especially in the story department. I recommend playing Hardcore if you haven't yet or turning on the original OST. Anything to spice things up.

It's just a slightly rearranged RPD and access to the final boss. Story wise there's no difference between say Claire A / Claire B.

Bummer, story was the main reason I wanted to play the B scenarios.

At this point I'm tempted to just re-play Claire A on hardcore instead -_-

Is hardcore fun? Balanced?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Bummer, story was the main reason I wanted to play the B scenarios.

At this point I'm tempted to just re-play Claire A on hardcore instead -_-

Is hardcore fun? Balanced?
If you're gonna replay anyways it definitely do the B/2nd run scenario at this point. And if you're in it for the story, you'll actually get an ending with B instead of abrupt cut to black.

Yes and yes imo.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna replay anyways it definitely do the B/2nd run scenario at this point. And if you're in it for the story, you'll actually get an ending with B instead of abrupt cut to black.

Yes and yes imo.

Awesome, thanks :)

EDIT: Okay yeah, A and B are definitely meant to be played back to back. The changes they have made to the beginning of B allow you to speed through the first portion of the game.

Very interesting approach, they basically made it so you can get through the second character's story faster. Just wish I had known this before lol, oh well.

Last edited:

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I want to get the platinum trophy for RE2, but I haven't even started Claire's story yet. I don't handle horror that well and I'm terrified lol.

I was only able to get the RE7 one because of the infinite circular saw that calmed my fears of taking down enemies.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've been playing RE3 and I'm at the fourth Nemesis encounter. I've been having a great time with the game so far, and taking Nemesis out each time is a thrill (that usually involves a few attempts...).

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Beat Rev2 again over the weekend and had a blast. Aiming is a lot floater that I remember but it still felt fun. That ending.

Hard to believe that new re2r dlc comes out on Friday too right? Cool.