• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Coming up on the final stretch of Claire A hardcore. Been a fun ride. It's not as hard as it originally seemed. And playing with the classic sountrack didn't seem out of place at all.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, even on hardcore Birkin is a bitch to Acid rounds. Wasn't expecting them to stun him so easily like standard. Takes a lot more rounds to finish him off than standard, but the cheesing method is all the same.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's interesting to read that Dusk doesn't want to spoil things about REmake 3, it sounds like the project could be "advanced" in development (just myy thought process)

I've abandoned any attemps of thought process and am just in hopeful thinking mode. With that I'm hoping R3make will be announced this E3. But Dusk Golem could throw as a bone, right? He just said RE3 will be more different than people expect and that's very puzzling.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Claire A hardcore. Final Birkin fight is no joke on hardcore! Goddamn he took a lot of ammo to kill. First attempt I literally went through all the ammo I brought, and I thought I went in prepared! Great fight though. We're all in agreement that's by far the best boss in the game, right?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Finished Claire A hardcore. Final Birkin fight is no joke on hardcore! Goddamn he took a lot of ammo to kill. First attempt I literally went through all the ammo I brought, and I thought I went in prepared! Great fight though. We're all in agreement that's by far the best boss in the game, right?

I killed Birkin's with my last hand granade. If was the last item I had in the inventory. But I also had only found 3 bags so my inventory was quite small. And my favorite boss fight is Mr. X I think... the music is pretty cool. Also wasn't a fun of this RE2 G4. I prefer the dog version much more.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
congrats! definitely a great feeling beating it on hardcore. i had a lot of ammo bc i knifed Birkin's first form and ran past alot of enemies in the sewer

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I've abandoned any attemps of thought process and am just in hopeful thinking mode. With that I'm hoping R3make will be announced this E3. But Dusk Golem could throw as a bone, right? He just said RE3 will be more different than people expect and that's very puzzling.
More different?
Now I'm more intrigued about what will Capcom do with the game...
I would like to be an insider just to know the details earlier lol

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
More different?
Now I'm more intrigued about what will Capcom do with the game...
I would like to be an insider just to know the details earlier lol

It makes sense - not only will this be far more people's first experience with RE3 than the remake was for 2, but there's a lot of room to expand and reinterpret it in terms of locations, enemies, scenarios etc. - despite the RE2 remake mostly sticking to the bones of the original layout, I'm not sure they'd want just a relatively short run with Jill as a RE3 remake's main focus; as most people aren't really going to delve into replays or side modes without a hook like A/B scenarios.

And then there's the potential ways Nemesis itself could be expanded and reworked in terms of his function...

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It makes sense - not only will this be far more people's first experience with RE3 than the remake was for 2, but there's a lot of room to expand and reinterpret it in terms of locations, enemies, scenarios etc. - despite the RE2 remake mostly sticking to the bones of the original layout, I'm not sure they'd want just a relatively short run with Jill as a RE3 remake's main focus; as most people aren't really going to delve into replays or side modes without a hook like A/B scenarios.

And then there's the potential ways Nemesis itself could be expanded and reworked in terms of his function...

RE7 didn't have a "hook like A/B scenarios" and it did fine. I hope the reason why I've seen so many people talking about adding a new campaign/scenario to RE3 is because RE2 is so fresh in everyones mind. Anyway, RE3 had the live selection mechanic, a twist on that could be this hook you're talking about.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 didn't have a "hook like A/B scenarios" and it did fine. I hope the reason why I've seen so many people talking about adding a new campaign/scenario to RE3 is because RE2 is so fresh in everyones mind. Anyway, RE3 had the live selection mechanic, a twist on that could be this hook you're talking about.

I'm talking about them as a means to incentivise replaying the game and extending most people's time with it, not saying RE3 needs the same gimmick - a similar effect could be achieved by expanding existing areas and adding new locations and bosses that are more substantial than the RE2 remake's deviations.

The framing of the game and intro in particular could have a bit more grafted on to it - an apartment building escape like RE2's gas station is the minimum I'm expecting, but they could do a lot with what Jill was doing in the first few days of the outbreak, or even do an intro that recaps the end of RE1 and teases a third person remake of that as well, which also sets up more context for Brad and Barry in their RE3 roles.

Unless the choice mechanic is significantly revamped (RPG-like dialogue wheels in a RE would be...odd), I'm not sure if it alone will do much to make replaying the game seem essential for most. Then again, Until Dawn worked well with making that its main conceit, so combining it with a more adaptive Nemesis (having things like the dismemberment and mutations in response to it not just be part of his second mandatory fight but persistent) and maybe even taking the hostages from The Mercenaries into being survivors you can affect the eventual fate of in the main game may work.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm talking about them as a means to incentivise replaying the game and extending most people's time with it, not saying RE3 needs the same gimmick - a similar effect could be achieved by expanding existing areas and adding new locations and bosses that are more substantial than the RE2 remake's deviations.

The framing of the game and intro in particular could have a bit more grafted on to it - an apartment building escape like RE2's gas station is the minimum I'm expecting, but they could do a lot with what Jill was doing in the first few days of the outbreak, or even do an intro that recaps the end of RE1 and teases a third person remake of that as well, which also sets up more context for Brad and Barry in their RE3 roles.

Unless the choice mechanic is significantly revamped (RPG-like dialogue wheels in a RE would be...odd), I'm not sure if it alone will do much to make replaying the game seem essential for most. Then again, Until Dawn worked well with making that its main conceit, so combining it with a more adaptive Nemesis (having things like the dismemberment and mutations in response to it not just be part of his second mandatory fight but persistent) and maybe even taking the hostages from The Mercenaries into being survivors you can affect the eventual fate of in the main game may work.

I fully agree. Two characters is a way to improve replayability, but not the only one. In the case of RE3, it simply not an option if they want to make a faithful remake. Re-imagining some moments in the campaign however, is. I think they wouldn't change to much the intro because Nemesis needs to be indroduced sooner rather than latter, but it would be cool to see Raccoon City a little before everything went to hell.

I would also add that the best incentive to replay a game is its quality. RE4, for example, doesn't have any gimmick and is very replayable.

May 30, 2018
My first exposure to RE was through RE5, it was fun as hell playing coop with my bro. I would like to play the series again with the games I have but tbh it's wildly different from what I expected/wanted

I have Resident Evil 1 Remake and Resident evil 7.
Both play absolutely nothing like 5, or each other for that matter lol, so I've been struggling to play through them. Hell for 1 I think I played 30 mins total, the controls were too bad. I get that if you played it before its manageable, sorta like mgs1.

Should I just skip these two and buy re4/5/6

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I've said this 100x already, but I think Capcom should beef up the R3make into something much more ambitious than RE2, which is much more confined in scope. Treat RE3 like a massive game that would release today. Racoon City is one of the most iconic locations in gaming and being able to explore more of it would be incredible. I hope they would look at Dark Souls 1 for it's interconnected world and save points around its world as inspiration for the level design of the game and mix it in with the classic RE level design we saw in RE1/2 for the smaller interior locations.

Have zombies keep respawing in the city, because it makes sense.

They can still keep the option to fight/flee Nemesis when he appears. Kill him and get extra items, don't and maybe a special area or hidden room will open up.

Add in some new bosses, possibly more Tyrants, RE Outbreak bosses or brand new bosses, because let's face it, 10 Nemesis only bosses will get old fast, especially when he chases you all throughout the game.

For enemies, keep the old ones, add new ones, cut ones from past RE games and why not a few already turned Crimson Heads that can just show up.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Im actually really enjoying The Ghost Survivors. Ive yet to finish one but I don't think the comparison to 4th Survivor is entirely apt. I still have some breathing room in Ghost Survivors.

Oct 28, 2017
How do you imagine that working? I DLC prologue with Brad for RE2 would be amazing, but in RE3?
Brad could easily have an extra mode that shows Brad's events leading up to his encounter with Jill in RE3. "He's after STARS members. There's no escape!" Implies he's encountered or seen Nemesis prior to the events of RE3. They could tell that story. The story of him trying to escape the Nemesis. Have that bonus episode end when it reaches his RE3 death scene.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Brad could easily have an extra mode that shows Brad's events leading up to his encounter with Jill in RE3. "He's after STARS members. There's no escape!" Implies he's encountered or seen Nemesis prior to the events of RE3. They could tell that story. The story of him trying to escape the Nemesis. Have that bonus episode end when it reaches his RE3 death scene.

Yes, that could work, although it should be unlocked after the main camapaign.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Do you guys think capcom should retain the adaptive difficulty in re3?

I feel like the zombies in RE3 should go down quicker and more pronounced but also amp the quantity of them like in OG. It would make sense since Jill should be able to have more firepower and assuming the city could be a bit more open.

Not saying it should totally go full on RE4-6 Action mode (i wouldn't mind but i know i'm in the minority in this)

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi RE fans! I recently played RE1 Remake after having it in my backlog for months. It's my first RE game and one of the only horror games I've played. It's ironic because I love horror movies, yet horror games usually turn me into a scared hiding baby. I guess it's because I'm in control of a character's actions rather than just an observer so it feels more like it's happening to me.

Easily my favorite thing about the game was the beautifully creepy mansion and how detailed it was. Loved the atmosphere. The way camera angles were used to maximize the suspense was great, even though it was annoying getting turned around sometimes when the direction would suddenly shift. Having to walk toward the camera or around a corner, not being able to see whatever was growling/moaning/thumping in the distance built an amazing sense of dread and tension.

The voice acting and animations were rather comical and the controls felt clunky at times, but I expected this to some extent since it's an old remake of an even older game. The true horror I found in this game, though, was... the inventory system! As a gaming hoarder who likes to collect and keep as many items as possible I feel like whoever made this had a grudge against me. This was by far the most stifling inventory limit I've ever encountered. I know it's a survival horror game but ONLY SIX ITEM SLOTS?! I'm sorry but I call bullshit when the game tells me I can't pick up a lil' fucking KEY because I'm already holding 6 things. That's just not realistic. Are other games in the series like this or was this the worst it gets?

Inventory rant aside I enjoyed it enough to want to play more of the series. After I do a Jill run I've gotta decide which one to play next. Might get Zero the next time I see it in a PSN sale. I already bought RE4 a while back since I heard it's the favorite. Or maybe RE2 Remake is the favorite now? Everyone seems to love it and it looks amazing so I'm definitely gonna check it out at some point. So many choices!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Do you guys think capcom should retain the adaptive difficulty in re3?

I feel like the zombies in RE3 should go down quicker and more pronounced but also amp the quantity of them like in OG. It would make sense since Jill should be able to have more firepower and assuming the city could be a bit more open.

I agree. I think they should find a difference balance with zombies that go down easier but we have more of them. More than in RE2 killing enemies should be a viable option, just like the originals, really.

Not saying it should totally go full on RE4-6 Action mode (i wouldn't mind but i know i'm in the minority in this)

I wouldn't put RE4, RE5 and RE6 together when it comes to action, RE4-5 are closer together, but RE6 is way more heavy on action. But I understand what you mean. I wouldn't want that because it wouldn't be faithful to the original game. Maybe The Mercenaries mode could be more like RE4's and RE5's, but not the main campaign.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I agree. I think they should find a difference balance with zombies that go down easier but we have more of them. More than in RE2 killing enemies should be a viable option, just like the originals, really.

I wouldn't put RE4, RE5 and RE6 together when it comes to action, RE4-5 are closer together, but RE6 is way more heavy on action. But I understand what you mean. I wouldn't want that because it wouldn't be faithful to the original game. Maybe The Mercenaries mode could be more like RE4's and RE5's, but not the main campaign.
Yeah man, like I see the value in the adaptive difficulty since it creates unpredictability but i would prefer if it was an option you can tick on/off in R3make.

The adaptive difficulty is the reason i'm sure there isn't a mercs mode in re2 since combat can be a drag at times with having no way of knowing how many bullets you need to actually kill 1 zombie.

Last edited:

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Add in some new bosses, possibly more Tyrants, RE Outbreak bosses or brand new bosses, because let's face it, 10 Nemesis only bosses will get old fast, especially when he chases you all throughout the game.

I wonder if it'd be a good idea to merge the park with the zoo from Outbreak and include the lions and/or elephant.

Either way, I definitely think the boss variety should be focused on - the RE2 remake may have just had 5 Birkins and a Tyrant, but that's still more variety than 3 Nemesis forms and Gravedigger. Just one more would make a significant difference, two would help a lot. I wonder if Nikolai will still be fought directly...

Also, I'm expecting some slight streamlining with the regular enemies - the Drain Deimos and Brainsucker could be consolidated into one enemy which also replaces spiders; and the Hunter Gammas could be cut entirely considering how rarely they appear. Like RE2, crows will probably no longer be enemies.

If we're drawing a further parallel, maybe the Gravedigger would work better as a regular enemy like the G-creatures?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Either way, I definitely think the boss variety should be focused on - the RE2 remake may have just had 5 Birkins and a Tyrant, but that's still more variety than 3 Nemesis forms and Gravedigger. Just one more would make a significant difference, two would help a lot. I wonder if Nikolai will still be fought directly..

I don't think you need different bosses to have variety. In OG RE3, for example, Nemesis was a more interesting battle than any previous bosses in the franchise. He was more dynamic and challenging, and meeting him in the open was considerably different than meeting him in a tight corner.

I'm not against new bosses, but I also don't think they are necessary. I would rather they find variety with Nemesis and different setpieces. You can have the giant worm as a second boss and Nikolai as third boss/set piece fight.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My worry is that we'll never see a true follow-up to RE6, in terms of game mechanics. They'll put it behind them and give us the meh Revelations combat (one melee attack per character, ugh) for future action RE titles.

Honestly at this point it's just dumb that we haven't gotten a proper follow up when you take into accountant how much RE5/RE6 have sold and continue to sell even now.

My man, what I love most about RE6 is how all the stories kinda connect and they meet each other.

*bro fist*

That aspect hasn't been handled even half as well in RE2R.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody noticing that the negative mouse acceleration on the PC version of REmake 2 is, if not completely gone, significantly less noticeable now? Or am I going crazy?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, even Nemesis' very first scene would present a couple of aspects that would need to change in a remake. In particular; the fact that it centers around entering the front door of the RPD. This set up the expectation that Nemesis acted similarly to RE2's tyrant originally (to be torn down in the later RPD chase to the exit) - obviously, this expectation doesn't exist following the remake of 2, and having him just stop as you go through the doors seamlessly would look ridiculous.

There's three ways I think they could get around it:

1) - Still have Brad die there as Jill watches, but keep it as a cutscene and have her remain hidden. Nemesis, not having spotted her, will patrol elsewhere giving her time to enter the RPD and keeping him off her trail until the later chase.

2) - Don't have Brad die in front of the RPD, instead he works together with Jill to get up to the communications equipment in the STARS office. Nemesis kills him as he makes what was originally his second appearance, triggering the chase to escape the RPD.

3) - Keep the same setup of the original with the decision to fight or run after Brad's death in front of the RPD, but open up another area of the station as a path to lose Nemesis before you make your way back to the STARS office and trigger his second appearance.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trying RE 5 again, this time I've gotten further than any of the other times I tried, but now in chapter 4 I gotta say it feels like it's been going on forever. I really wanna finish it though.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
After all that nitpicking over A/B not overlapping directly, I am already annoyed by expectable complaints of the RCPD not looking or working exactly like in 2 when R3make releases

Oct 28, 2017
Trying RE 5 again, this time I've gotten further than any of the other times I tried, but now in chapter 4 I gotta say it feels like it's been going on forever. I really wanna finish it though.
Haha this was my feeling recently. Ended up dropping it in the end and replayed RE2R on hardcore instead of finishing it. RE5 in single player just feels so.....lame. I can't put my finger on exactly why RE5 gets so boring.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I started Claire A on Hardcore, and honestly, it still feels very fresh???? Maybe I'm crazy since I've pretty much seen everything I had to see over Leon A / Claire B but I really loved Claire's interactions with Marvin more so than Leons' and so far I'm just really enjoying this playthrough.
I've been so meticulous whilst trying not to die, mixing and matching costumes and knifing every Licker I see to death.
Though I've been hit twice already (one from the zombies in the East Hallway first time, and a Licker when Tyrant was chasing me in the Records Room) I've got so many supplies and I'm just having so much fun and I think I'm doing well!

I'm up to Sherry's segment now but I stopped to take a break and play more tomorrow.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started Claire A on Hardcore, and honestly, it still feels very fresh???? Maybe I'm crazy since I've pretty much seen everything I had to see over Leon A / Claire B but I really loved Claire's interactions with Marvin more so than Leons' and so far I'm just really enjoying this playthrough.
I've been so meticulous whilst trying not to die, mixing and matching costumes and knifing every Licker I see to death.
Though I've been hit twice already (one from the zombies in the East Hallway first time, and a Licker when Tyrant was chasing me in the Records Room) I've got so many supplies and I'm just having so much fun and I think I'm doing well!

I'm up to Sherry's segment now but I stopped to take a break and play more tomorrow.

Claire A > Leon A

Her story flows much better.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All that shit the IGN review guy got, he was right first time. People based expectations on the originals A/B scenarios, but the remake fails hard at living up to them.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Capcom never promised them so if people expected them it's their own fault.

Not true. Capcom was quite coy about how the scenarios would work, but they gave the impression playing with Leon would be different than playing with Claire. And what we got is basically 4 campaigns that play the same.

In other words, the problem is not that we didn't get A/B scenarios like the original, the problem is that all scenarios are extremely alike.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Now I'm going through Claire A hardcore mode, I was almost killed right before the first Birkin fight (damn you licker + zombie lol)

I wonder if he will be tough...

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Now I'm going through Claire A hardcore mode, I was almost killed right before the first Birkin fight (damn you licker + zombie lol)

I wonder if he will be tough...

A strat that really saved me lots of ammo on Hardcore my friend told me about was knifing him a fuckton at the start of the battle until he falls, hit his eye and when he gets back up use a flash grenade, rinse and repeat.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
All this focus on Racoon City in the menu and the logo of the game is a bit weird IMO. Its the Racoon City Incident of course, but it feels like originally the town was more in the focus and that changed but they kept the old designs

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
A strat that really saved me lots of ammo on Hardcore my friend told me about was knifing him a fuckton at the start of the battle until he falls, hit his eye and when he gets back up use a flash grenade, rinse and repeat.
Yeah, I watched that on a youtube video and it really worked but I don't have the unbreakable knife lol
Will try and see how it works with a normal one

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
So for RE2 Remake, I've done Claire A and Leon B. Which means I've now beaten REmake, RE2 REmake, 4 and 7. RE 2 and 7 have been my absolute favorites of the series. I really enjoyed 4 but going back to it yesterday, I struggled with the controls way more than I did 3 years ago and honestly got a little motion sickness for some reason.

So I guess I'm wondering, are 5 and 6 worth playing? Or should I just jump into the two Revelation titles?

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Done, finished Claire B.

I was really grumpy that they didnt had the sequence where you get lowered with the monorail from the original, the one time where you have to fight Birkin after you finished the sewers, because I loved that part. I love so much that every sequence of the original is in the game, its just mixed up.

And lol, they took the part out were Leon wants to take out Umbrella.

Really, really amazing Game and I am so happy that Capcom revived the franchise so good in this console gen. Cant wait for the next game.

So for RE2 Remake, I've done Claire A and Leon B. Which means I've now beaten REmake, RE2 REmake, 4 and 7. RE 2 and 7 have been my absolute favorites of the series. I really enjoyed 4 but going back to it yesterday, I struggled with the controls way more than I did 3 years ago and honestly got a little motion sickness for some reason.

So I guess I'm wondering, are 5 and 6 worth playing? Or should I just jump into the two Revelation titles?
Play Code Veronica. The people here dont like it but its, even when unnumbered an important mainline titel and tells the contiuiation of Claires story. And of course play Nemesis if you can make it through a PS1 game.

Oct 28, 2017

Play RE3!

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017

5 and Rev 2 are worth looking into, but for the time being I'd echo everyone else and suggest you try 3 - if the slightly dated presentation isn't an issue. The acting isn't worse than the remake of RE1, and the upscaled background pack makes the game look fairly decent. You should be familiar with tank controls from the remake of 1 as well.

The remake is at least a year off, so it'd be a good opportunity to run through the original - it's one of the shorter games in the series, too.