• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
With the anniversary of RE5, I decided to replay the game on PC (Steam). Unfortunately I could not get the game to load properly. I troubleshooted for over an hour. Tried fan patches, reinsitalling, various GFWL installs, verifying cache, etc. But I stumbled upon one piece of advice that worked: connect to the PC via HDMI not DisplayPort. So if anyone else has trouble and is connecting with DisplayPort, heads up.

Oct 28, 2017
Today I'm going to give RE7 VR another shot after my initial negative impressions of it. This time I'm just gonna play on normal difficulty so I can atleast adjust to how it feels without the added difficulty of Madhouse. Hopefully my impression of VR mode improves.

Oct 28, 2017
Right, so I made it to the Marguerite boss fight in RE7 VR. I'm actually in love. VR has given the game something extra and I'm feeling things with the game I haven't felt in a while, and even things I didn't feel at all before.

Also playing RE7 again has reaffirmed my opinion that RE7 is better than RE2 Remake. God I can't wait for RE8. So excited to see where first person RE goes from here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I swear to god, the no save trophy in REMake is going to be the death of me. It's not even hard, it's just that I always seem to make one stupid mistake far into the run that torpedoes the whole thing and kills my drive to attempt it again until the following day:

- The first run, I accidentally screwed up by shooting Forest (The One Dangerous Zombie version) in that room that you get the Sheet Music in
- The second run, I tried attempting while tired, and due to almost nodding off, got crushed by a Rock in the tunnels
- The third run, I was distracted by something and stepped back into the water in the Aqua Ring before electrocuting the shark and got eaten.
- Then today, Lisa Trevor just hopped over to me from off screen while I was pushing the stone weights off of the platform, and she pushed me straight off before I could even disengage from the weight

I'm not mad at the game per se, it's just frustrating lol. Guess I'll give it another shake tomorrow.

Oct 28, 2017
I really like the open approach of Nemesis, but you really feel that its really not on par with 2.
It's better in a lot of ways. RE3 doesn't get enough credit for how it pushed RE forward. It improved a lot and set some standards. Easily the most underrated game in the series. RE2 is a game that when you go back to it it's a little jarring when you see so many of the QOL improvements RE3 made weren't there in 2. You forget they weren't there.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's better in a lot of ways. RE3 doesn't get enough credit for how it pushed RE forward. It improved a lot and set some standards. Easily the most underrated game in the series. RE2 is a game that when you go back to it it's a little jarring when you see so many of the QOL improvements RE3 made weren't there in 2. You forget they weren't there.
Eh, I like that you can do so much stuff in a order you want and that a lot of stuff is randomized, but I am not willing to "throw" RE2 "under the bus" only because we got stuff like 180 degree turns or Mercenary out of it. Its very decent but of the Racoon City saga its definity the worst and is not able to gain any tension for me.

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, I like that you can do so much stuff in a order you want and that a lot of stuff is randomized, but I am not willing to "throw" RE2 "under the bus" only because we got stuff like 180 degree turns or Mercenary out of it. Its very decent but of the Racoon City saga its definity the worst and is not able to gain any tension for me.
Oh I certainly agree that all in all RE2 was the better game. That mainly came from the tighter pacing, better atmosphere and story. But nevertheless I think there are many things RE3 does better than 2, it's a fantastic game and doesn't get enough credit.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Speaking of RE3, I've been wanting to replay it, but I think I'm going to seek out the Dreamcast version, since it and the PC version have more costumes, and the PC version (expescially the sourcenext version...) are nigh impossible to find for reasonable prices.

And hey, I get the VMU health display, too! Always thought that was neat. REMake 2 doing something similar with the DualShock 4 lightbar reminds me of that functionality.

Oct 28, 2017
I finished RE7 in VR. Several thoughts. First of all RE7 is a fucking good game I prefer it to RE2 Remake when all is said and done. And I also feel the game gets some unfair stick when the game gets to the ship. The ship section of RE7 is FANTASTIC. The flashback section was nice enough essentially just a plot device.

But man the present day ship level? Brilliant and pure survival horror. Making the player start from scratch for this level was masterful and gave the game a tension the game hadn't had in a while up to this point. When you're roaming around the ship without a weapon while molded are around, it's very tense and the atmosphere is totally on point. Level design for the ship was great too.

But anyways about VR. I feel like I just kinda became numb to it in the latter half of the game. Like, VR gave the game an extra something for the first few hours, but then it was just like I got used to it and it didn't really feel all that different to non VR. It just had worse visual quality. I stopped being scared or feeling like I was "in" the game and just felt like....I'm just playing RE7 but it looks worse. But for the first few hours yeah I felt it and was being scared in a way non VR RE7 hadn't. I just got numb to it after a while I guess.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with the ship section getting unnecessary flak by people. After you kill the second boss, I had tons of ammo and was pretty one to two shotting everything with the shotgun. Stripping you of your weapons was a good idea.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Big reason why I didn't like the ship: each floor just kinda looks the same and blends together. Add to that the fact that we're still fighting the same Molded we've been fighting the entire time, and flashback tape aside, it gives the level a very "generic" feel, even if you are on a new character with no resources. It made the game feel padded.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
That Clocktowerbossfight is gonna sour my opinion on the game highly

It's a pretty intense difficulty spike, and definitely unlike anything else in the PS1 RE games. Ideally you want to go into the fight with some freeze and / or flame rounds you can dump into him, but if you can consistently dodge him (make sure to run towards him, sticking to the side with his exposed shoulder) you can manage to take him out with even handgun ammo.

Playing them back-to-back the last week, I really like RE3 more than RE2. I'm not actually a huge fan of the clock tower Nemesis fight, but RE3 is really much better balanced in terms of difficulty; RE2 gives you too much ammo for the type of game it is.

Oct 28, 2017
So I finally just gave Operation Raccoon City a whirl since it's on PS Now. Played the first level.

So this is a pretty bad game, huh? Nothing about this gameplay feels good or satisfying. It's a generic as hell shooter, which by itself isn't too bad but the thing is the shooting just doesn't feel good. There's no weight to anything it just isn't satisfying to kill.

I will say that I enjoyed some iconic Resident Evil imagery with hearing the dialogue when Hunk goes in to get the sample from Birkin, and seeing Birkin himself chasing us was kinda neat, though he doesn't look all that great especially coming off the RE2 Remake.

I sort of want to keep playing just to see how other iconic RE imagery and scenes are handled. But I certainly don't have interest in the gameplay.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just go nuts with the magnum, you'll have him down in no time.
Magnum is for the final boss.

I beat him. Mixed up 6 frezze granades and had a lot of luck with the dodging. Went first after him with the acid rounds and then with the freeze rounds. Was my first try last evening lol, I didnt even tried it in a real serious manner because I more or less just wanted to look how effectiv it is.
Cant wait to see the Carlos part tonight.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally just gave Operation Raccoon City a whirl since it's on PS Now. Played the first level.

So this is a pretty bad game, huh? Nothing about this gameplay feels good or satisfying. It's a generic as hell shooter, which by itself isn't too bad but the thing is the shooting just doesn't feel good. There's no weight to anything it just isn't satisfying to kill.

I will say that I enjoyed some iconic Resident Evil imagery with hearing the dialogue when Hunk goes in to get the sample from Birkin, and seeing Birkin himself chasing us was kinda neat, though he doesn't look all that great especially coming off the RE2 Remake.

I sort of want to keep playing just to see how other iconic RE imagery and scenes are handled. But I certainly don't have interest in the gameplay.

What difficulty are you playing on? One of the big whines of the time was that in certain difficulties enemies had too much health and acted as if they had too much weight due to staying alive and pushing forward into bullets.

It was always a silly complaint, just odd your complaint is the opposite.

Also for what it's worth, the Spec Ops campaign is much better than the USS one.

Oct 28, 2017
What difficulty are you playing on? One of the big whines of the time was that in certain difficulties enemies had too much health and acted as if they had too much weight due to staying alive and pushing forward into bullets.

It was always a silly complaint, just odd your complaint is the opposite.

Also for what it's worth, the Spec Ops campaign is much better than the USS one.
When I say weight what I mean is that it feels like bullets have no impact.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I was bored and ran into the Resident Evil 3 PC demo, and decided to see if it worked properly on my Windows 10 laptop...and it does! Some of the 2D elements are glitchy when running at the higher resolutions, though.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The walking on metal sound? Yes, it's pretty generic but both being Capcom is not hard to imagine they used the same source.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm pretty sure most audio designers use huge open sound libraries and modify the sounds to their fit, recording their own sounds when necessary. I've heard a lot of sounds that are used between several games by unrelated developers.

And yeah with what was said above with both games being Capcom it sounds like it's the same sound.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
But it's a sound from the classic RE games, so we're talking some 20 years of difference. It's not like it was used in RE2 or RE7. Talking about RE7, it also did something similar. There was a moment you had to dial a code and the sound was from classic RE too.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
But it's a sound from the classic RE games, so we're talking some 20 years of difference. It's not like it was used in RE2 or RE7. Talking about RE7, it also did something similar. There was a moment you had to dial a code and the sound was from classic RE too.
Its just a random sound from a game. Even when I walk in real life over metal plates it sounds the same and its not a Resident Evil sound then.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm not sure. RE7 was well received. And although RE2 (and therefore TPP) is very hot right now, FPS can lend itself very well to horror games, particularly those focused on stealth.

I'd prefer a third person pespective, but that's secundary to overall quality.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Nemesis had some amazing last few hours. While I like the pretty open approach of the game in the first half until the Clocktower, I think it really started to be good after you leave the former and the game becomes absoluty linear.
The last scenario in the departet factory was amazing and 10/10.

Now Resident Evil 5... Yeah, not a good game. The bike chase chapter was good I guess.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
RE3make won't be FPS, I just can't see it happening.
I can see it being more action focused than RE2make though.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Nemesis had some amazing last few hours. While I like the pretty open approach of the game in the first half until the Clocktower, I think it really started to be good after you leave the former and the game becomes absoluty linear.
The last scenario in the departet factory was amazing and 10/10.

Now Resident Evil 5... Yeah, not a good game. The bike chase chapter was good I guess.

I think the Rail Cannon room, with all the dead tyrants and soldiers, is my favorite background in the franchise. And I think RE5 is a good game, and it has the best Mercenaries mode. Have you finished it already?

RE3make won't be FPS, I just can't see it happening.
I can see it being more action focused than RE2make though.

All bets are off with Resident Evil 3 being developed outside Capcom. I'm not sure it will even use the RE Engine, which would be disastrous.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think the Rail Cannon room, with all the dead tyrants and soldiers, is my favorite background in the franchise. And I think RE5 is a good game, and it has the best Mercenaries mode. Have you finished it already?
Yes, this is my third run and it gets worse everytime.
Maybe its because I got more exposed to good Resident Evil over the year.

And yeah, nobody will be so stupid and make REmake 3 First Person.

Oct 28, 2017
RE3 Remake will not be first person. I loved RE7 and will riot if RE8 is not first person, but RE3 has to be third person. We need to be able to see Jill's tube top miniskirt outfit in all its HD glory at all times.