• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Did you dislike everything or just the ending? I thought up until the hand-to-hand fight and its aftermath Nemesis was quite adequate to the type of movie he was. Anyway, I still remember watching RE1 in a rented VHS and one of the final lines was "put him in the Nemesis project". I was quite excited.

RE2 is proof that a complete reimagination of the original can keep its essence and be faithful. RE3 should follow that same path.

I can't wait to see who is developing it. I've seen quite a few comments about Platinum games. It's a curious choice, and I wonder if they would go very action heavy with RE3... as long as Jill doesn't go hand-to-hand against Nemesis I'm open to it, even if it isn't my first choice.
Truthfully yeah it's just the ending that ruined the Nemesis in the movie. He was generally fine before that. As for the movie in general, honestly I don't really remember a lot but I remember liking it less than the first.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
You know, I really enjoy how Annette was portrayed in Remake 2. She seemed pretty emotionless towards Sherry at times, but since she was worried about the G-Virus causing another outbreak, I can see why. They nailed her perfectly. Annette was so easy to despise in the original. Her portrayal in Darkside Chronicles was pretty cool as well.

Btw, quick question: is the Mr. X that ended up being sliced in half by Birkin supposed to be different from the Mr. X Leon encountered? Since both Claire and Leon's stories actually went down, I figured there'd have to be more than one Mr. X chasing them.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
You know, I really enjoy how Annette was portrayed in Remake 2. She seemed pretty emotionless towards Sherry at times, but since she was worried about the G-Virus causing another outbreak, I can see why. They nailed her perfectly. Annette was so easy to despise in the original. Her portrayal in Darkside Chronicles was pretty cool as well.

Btw, quick question: is the Mr. X that ended up being sliced in half by Birkin supposed to be different from the Mr. X Leon encountered? Since both Claire and Leon's stories actually went down, I figured there'd have to be more than one Mr. X chasing them.

I liked Annette as well. In fact, I thought all secundary characters were excellent in RE2. About your question, in a interview a RE2 developer said you should see the different scenarios like alternate timelines. So there was ever only one Mr. X.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I liked Annette as well. In fact, I thought all secundary characters were excellent in RE2. About your question, in a interview a RE2 developer said you should see the different scenarios like alternate timelines. So there was ever only one Mr. X.
Gotta be honest, this sucks lol. RE2 having a cohesive story between its A and B campaigns was one of the biggest improvements over the original. I'm really perplexed that they didn't keep the same style of storytelling here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of stuff in R2make feels half arsed and because of it inferior to the original. It's a very disappointing game for me. I haven't even bothered to play any Ghost Survivor scenario.

I'm kinda glad R3make might be outsourced, because a R2make level of effort would never do RE3 justice.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
The borked A/B scenario was the main thing I really didn't like about REmake 2. I could understand that there's only one scenario for Leon and Claire, but it should still tell both sides of the story, instead of alternative timelines. That both Leon and Claire fight the same bosses doesn't bother me, but things like Annette dying twice in two different places, or Leon and Claire not really interacting with each other for majority of the game (besides finding "notes" in the B scenario) did. In the original RE2 Claire and Leon talked a couple of times throughout the game, updating their current status, so when they both ended up in the same train at the end of the game it made sense. In REmake2 they met at the RPD, and then a couple hours later happened to escape the exploding laboratory at the same time in one train. Claire didn't know anything about Ada, and Leon didn't know anything about Sherry.

I really like the gameplay aspect of REmake 2, and the production values, and some character changes, but the overall story was disappointing. It was presented in more mature way than in the original RE2, but at the same time a lot of stuff was cut or due to changes made no sense (why did Irons want Sherry's pendant so bad and why was Claire "too late" according to him?).

I'm kinda glad R3make might be outsourced, because a R2make level of effort would never do RE3 justice.

Given Capcom's outsourcing history I think I would prefer a slightly disappointing, but still polished experience similar to REmake 2 than whatever might come out out of an outsourced project.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I think the way they handled the A/B scenario is fine, and makes a lot of sense. The game is clearly set up to encourage replays, with clear rankings for all 4 scenarios and enabling you to select from any of the 4 scenarios at the menu If the A & B scenarios influenced each other like the zapping system used to do, it would make B scenarios somewhat obnoxious to manage, since you would have to keep saves with the idea A choices on hand or something equally awkward. It also works great for RE.net's weekly challenges; letting you thoughtfully choose which scenario is best for each new task.

In that sense, I prefer to think of the [2nd] scenarios in REmake 2 as a remixed/arranged mode, as opposed to an entirely new scenario. Would it be cool to have 2 different stories? Sure, maybe. But I feel like they got most of the best beats from the original's two campaigns, and let's be honest, Leon A/Claire B in the original was vastly inferior in comparison to Claire A/Leon B.

Though I secretly hope we eventually get a [3rd] super-hard scenario remix at some point down the road.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I dunno. I love Remake 2. Just finished Claire's B scenario last night and I was never bored the entire time. The best I could get is a C, though I ain't mad. Ready to do Leon's B scenario. My only disappointment was that there weren't more journals. As funny as it may sound, the journals and notes have always been one of my fav parts of the RE series. A lot of the ones from the older games were really eerie; especially when they were written from someone who was infected.

The Keeper (Itchy Scratchy guy) always comes to mind. Still trying to figure out how a zombie could write in a journal after eating someone. A theory I've always went with was that the deterioration process differs when they're infected through airborne exposure in comparison to a bite. The Director in RE3 also talked about how he was beginning to feel the "hungry and itching sensation" that the patients were complaining about before the report ended.

Oct 28, 2017
REmake 2 is a much weaker remake than REmake 1. It's weaker than the original in a number of ways. Stronger in others, but nevertheless it's not the definitive remake I maybe hoped for like REmake 1 was. And as far as modern RE titles go I felt RE7 was the stronger game. RE2 had stronger level design than RE7, but the big moments in RE7 hit harder and it was a far more memorable experience.

I also feel that the map system in RE2 hurt the game as it gives the player too much information hurting some aspects of the exploration.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I love Remake 2. Just finished Claire's B scenario last night and I was never bored the entire time. The best I could get is a C, though I ain't mad. Ready to do Leon's B scenario. My only disappointment was that there weren't more journals. As funny as it may sound, the journals and notes have always been one of my fav parts of the RE series. A lot of the ones from the older games were really eerie; especially when they were written from someone who was infected.

The Keeper (Itchy Scratchy guy) always comes to mind. Still trying to figure out how a zombie could write in a journal after eating someone. A theory I've always went with was that the deterioration process differs when they're infected through airborne exposure in comparison to a bite. The Director in RE3 also talked about how he was beginning to feel the "hungry and itching sensation" that the patients were complaining about before the report ended.

Yeah I agree. The notes, diaries etc in old games did a great deal for world building. The ones in R2make have a few like that but most don't seem to be for that purpose. They certainly aren't memorable, I can't quite a single line from any and can barely even remember any at all not puzzle answer related (another of my problems with the game, nearly all puzzles are not to be thought about to solve, you go and fetch the answer, like a key to a locked door. They're fetch quests, not puzzles).

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I definitely would not have minded some additional journals. The only ones that are kind of memorable are some of the emails in the lab and the orphanage-related stuff. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't complain about having more.

As far as puzzles...there's not as many as some of the previous RE games, but they are there. You've got the 2 power generator ones (match volts & amps), the circuit board puzzle (4 different configurations) the tower-of-Hanoi chemical puzzle, the Chess Plugs puzzle, and the King/Queen puzzle/maze. Also, they all have different solutions depending on A or B route except for the King/Queen maze. Also, the Hiding Places photo, if you want to count it.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the amount of puzzles in the game are about on par with most of the classic RE games, certainly wayyyy more and far better ones than the original RE2 which basically didn't have any. RE3 still has the best puzzles in the series overall though I think.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I agree. The notes, diaries etc in old games did a great deal for world building. The ones in R2make have a few like that but most don't seem to be for that purpose. They certainly aren't memorable, I can't quite a single line from any and can barely even remember any at all not puzzle answer related (another of my problems with the game, nearly all puzzles are not to be thought about to solve, you go and fetch the answer, like a key to a locked door. They're fetch quests, not puzzles).
The chess piece puzzle was good. Besides it's an RE2 remake. The original RE2's puzzles are no better than the remake. Actually they're worse.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I also forgot to mention the 2 portable safes, as well as Ada and Sherry's entire section. Ada's in particular definitely took me a bit of experimentation and exploration to get through it the first time. So yeah, REmake2's puzzles are definitely more numerous and interesting compared to the original.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Throughout my time playing RE, I kept wondering why certain people (in journals) were on the verge to turning despite not being bitten. The airborne part of the T-Virus only seems to be a thing in the mansion. I totally forgot about the water supply in Raccoon City being infected by the virus. Now everything makes a lot more sense.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also forgot to mention the 2 portable safes, as well as Ada and Sherry's entire section. Ada's in particular definitely took me a bit of experimentation and exploration to get through it the first time. So yeah, REmake2's puzzles are definitely more numerous and interesting compared to the original.

What puzzles does Ada have? Use electro gun on thing is not a puzzle, as it just essential put key in lock. Sherry has the cube thing, but nothing else.

What bothers most is the game even sets up puzzles just to tell you the answer. Take Leon's desk. All the note needed say was "Your fellow officers can help you unlock it". From that the player could notice the two padlocks with 3 digits each, notice the 6 desks with names on each, figure out themselves to use first initial, and figure themselves to use the order of the desks.

But no...

Instead the game tells us to look at their names, to use the first initial and to use the order of the desks. So all that is left is for you to go look 3 ft away at the desks, then bring the answer back. No thought required. A 3 ft fetch quest instead of a puzzle. Completely pointless.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
What puzzles does Ada have? Use electro gun on thing is not a puzzle, as it just essential put key in lock. Sherry has the cube thing, but nothing else.

What bothers most is the game even sets up puzzles just to tell you the answer. Take Leon's desk. All the note needed say was "Your fellow officers can help you unlock it". From that the player could notice the two padlocks with 3 digits each, notice the 6 desks with names on each, figure out themselves to use first initial, and figure themselves to use the order of the desks.

But no...

Instead the game tells us to look at their names, to use the first initial and to use the order of the desks. So all that is left is for you to go look 3 ft away at the desks, then bring the answer back. No thought required. A 3 ft fetch quest instead of a puzzle. Completely pointless.
For Ada's, you still have to piece together which circuits you want to activate and when. You could jump down from the first set of fans and not realize the door is locked until you test it, at which point you need to find the next switch. Also, for the part with Mr. X, I initially activated the power and then saw the junction box above the switch and activated it but that then disabled the power to the door, so I ended up dying because I didn't have enough time to hack it a second time. There's also some minor puzzle aspects with the incinerator bit.

I didn't even count most of the locks as puzzles in my list because they are all pretty straightforward (though the safe in the sewers having the solution on the side would be pretty cool to spot if you were really looking around at everything the first time through). I'm honestly curious about which puzzles in the original RE2 you consider to stand out, because I have a hard time remembering any (though I haven't played it super-recently).

EDIT: Missed your initial response to the RE2 puzzle thing.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said the original has worst puzzles in the series. Even though I've played it a billion times I'm only remembering three, the box pushing puzzle, the library puzzle and the power switches puzzle. They all suck, but at least the game doesn't tell you the answer.

Edit: Oh the cogwheel puzzle, where you need to know that Jack, Queen and King are 11, 12 and 13 in cards, in order to know the order to light them. Best puzzle in the game, even if still weak and simple.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Yeah, the cogwheel puzzle was the one I remembered the most. As far as giving away the answers, I don't think REmake2 tells you the answers to any of the puzzles I listed in my initial post. They do tend towards logic/math puzzles as opposed to more abstract things, I suppose.

Iunno, I think the puzzles are about right for the game. I would certainly expect REmake3 to have puzzles befitting its predecessor, though.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey guys,

grabbed these two titles:
3KkhNmZl.jpg

never played em. i think i never ever hooked up my wii sensor bar from launch of the wii to the present. i guess i'll have too now =)

Oct 28, 2017
hey guys,

grabbed these two titles:
3KkhNmZl.jpg

never played em. i think i never ever hooked up my wii sensor bar from launch of the wii to the present. i guess i'll have too now =)
I remember how excited I was for Umbrella Chronicles. Wii isn't getting RE5 but holy shit it's getting an exclusive RE that's basically a remake of multiple RE games?!

Then Capcom revealed it was a light gun shooter. My soul was crushed

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles, it released after a long period that I personally define as 'shit RE era'. After RE0 in 2003 we kept getting crap like Dead Aim, the two Outbreaks and RE4 (I've never liked it), and also a long period of just no releases (over 2 years between OB2 and UC).

UC bringing back zombies, classic enemies, Umbrella, main characters and classic locations was very welcomed, especially as RE5 was looking to be RE4-Part 2 and I expected to hate it (ended up loving it).

Jun 18, 2018
I wonder how far the third person TUC prototype reached before the game was switched to be first person & on-rails. I'd love to explore the Spencer mansion from a first or third person view.

VKO-GFX

Dec 19, 2017
I remember how excited I was for Umbrella Chronicles. Wii isn't getting RE5 but holy shit it's getting an exclusive RE that's basically a remake of multiple RE games?!

When I first heard of UC, I thought it was gonna be like RE4 but with various levels from past RE games. Pretty disappointed when it was a light gun game. Still bought it. It was ok. I ended up renting the sequel and just completing it once.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

me too =)
I really enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles, it released after a long period that I personally define as 'shit RE era'. After RE0 in 2003 we kept getting crap like Dead Aim, the two Outbreaks and RE4 (I've never liked it), and also a long period of just no releases (over 2 years between OB2 and UC).

UC bringing back zombies, classic enemies, Umbrella, main characters and classic locations was very welcomed, especially as RE5 was looking to be RE4-Part 2 and I expected to hate it (ended up loving it).
glad to hear a positive for Umbrella Chronicles. i'm looking forward to it even more. i didn't know you didn't like 4. did you play it at launch or late in it's cycle when it came out on ps2?

i know i didn't like it on ps2 bc it looked really washed out. but loved the look on GC.

I wonder how far the third person TUC prototype reached before the game was switched to be first person & on-rails. I'd love to explore the Spencer mansion from a first or third person view.
i didn't know it was switched =/ kinda wish for a non rails game now...
Played these thanks to PS+ back in the day.

Much preferred Darkside Chronicles personally.

Always hoped to see Manuela in another RE.
yeah i saw em for ps+ but didn't have any ps moves.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I played them both back in the day on Wii. Got them on PS3 but haven't got round to playing them on there properly despite having two moves. I remember the extra missions being a pain in the ass to unlock.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought RE4 on release day like I have every RE game. I just didn't like it, from the shitty one liner dialogue (which unlike the older games was intentionally bad), no zombies, the ridiculous shit like giant statues and lava rooms, the gameplay ultimately being horribly balanced with Leon a walking arsenal with loads of heals. And of course, Umbrella the series big bad just being ended with a throwaway line of dialogue.

I hated it all. At that point RE felt to me it was just another series Capcom overmilked, tried saving with shitty spin-offs or games that didn't stick to the series roots, and turned to trash. Like Megaman, Street Fighter, Dino Crisis etc. All trash at that point.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we can somehow mod all the textual cues and examination descriptions of the station's environments into REmake 2, we'd have something incredible.

I still love it, but it's such a simple oversight I can't believe they missed such a core part of the RE experience, and REmake 1 remains the best of the franchise for me.

Still loved REmake 2 though, don't get me wrong!

But RE4 is the GOAT.
Nah, not even the best RE released on GameCube.

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I love RE2 and the 2019 remake and am glad they aren't identical. There's no need for one to exactly supplant the other.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Finally tracked down a copy of Deadly Silence. I had no idea the game was so hard to find (and pricey!) these days until I started looking.

Since I'll never be able to even afford, let alone find a copy of the Sourcenext PC port, Deadly Silence at least comes close in terms of QoL additions.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of random, but the Persona announcement had me thinking about other series that could get the musou treatment.

I think Resident Evil could make an amazing Musou style game. Capcom could even leverage the Basara IP for branding. What do you all think? We do it?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Kind of random, but the Persona announcement had me thinking about other series that could get the musou treatment.

I think Resident Evil could make an amazing Musou style game. Capcom could even leverage the Basara IP for branding. What do you all think? We do it?

I've unironically said I wanted Resident Evil Musou before on this forum. So like, fuck yes.