• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 11, 2018
I think RE2 is better and I don't like RE7, but I recognise that it's a well designed game if you can stomach 1st person view games (I can't). But RE0 is trash tier RE.

Oct 28, 2017
RE7 is more memorable than RE2. The first person perspective adds a lot to it and the big moments hit way harder. The entire opening is all kinds of fantastic. Everything leading up to the dinner scene is unforgettable. Dinner scene itself and then your first Jack gameplay section leading in to the garage fight. Superb. That feeling when you first go down to the basement. Very little in RE2 compares. Boss fights are on another level. Only RE4's bosses rival RE7's. The story is better. The baker family is amazing. RE7 is scarier and more impactful.

I do think RE2 has stronger core level design and is more complex than RE7's simplified level design. But at the end of the day the game I'm going to think about for years to come will be RE7. My ideal RE8 will be a best of both worlds. The level design of RE2's quality with the perspective of RE7.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 is awful. It wanted to not be a RE game so badly (and they denied it was originally so they're either liars of it got the Silent Hill 4 treatment), clearly launched unfinished and continues to be even now.

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing about RE7 is unfinished. It was a very polished game. And the idea that RE7 isn't a real RE game is dumb. It was the first game in about 15 years to bring back a lot of classic elements. it was Resident Evil through and through, and better than that it wasn't afraid to try new things at the same time.

As time goes on I continue to see how underrated RE7 is. Only RE3 is more underrated than RE7.

By the way I'm leaning slightly towards the opinion that RE2 Remake may be the most overrated game in the franchise. It really wasn't that good and was a disappointment in a lot of ways both compared to original RE2 and coming off RE7. But not quite the most overrated. Revelations 2 is there, and Code Veronica sometimes though people seemed to have turned on that game recently.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of RE7 was/is unfinished. They changed the ending as the original on release was ass, the game had absolutely no bonus modes which are a staple of the series and probably got shoved into the season pass, Madhouse mode it's like the Devs literally gave up altering anything after they did the first house as it's all unchanged after that.

Game feels like a game rushed out incomplete.

Oct 28, 2017
Plenty of RE7 was/is unfinished. They changed the ending as the original on release was ass, the game had absolutely no bonus modes which are a staple of the series and probably got shoved into the season pass, Madhouse mode it's like the Devs literally gave up altering anything after they did the first house as it's all unchanged after that.

Game feels like a game rushed out incomplete.
And how is B scenario in RE2 Remake any better? If Madhouse is somehow proof of RE7 being unfinished then B scenario is exactly the same for RE2 Remake.

The game did have bonus modes by the way. They were just a little scummy about it and locked it behind on disc DLC. Ethan Must Die, the wave based game mode and the bedroom were all modes that could have been there at launch but were chosen to be paid DLC. Scummy, yes. I didn't like that. But it's not a matter of the game being rushed or unfinished. Fair play to RE2 for not using the same tactics. But I will say I vastly preferred those RE7 modes than what RE2 post game offered.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And how is B scenario in RE2 Remake any better? If Madhouse is somehow proof of RE7 being unfinished then B scenario is exactly the same for RE2 Remake.

The game did have bonus modes by the way. They were just a little scummy about it and locked it behind on disc DLC. Ethan Must Die, the wave based game mode and the bedroom were all modes that could have been there at launch but were chosen to be paid DLC. Scummy, yes. I didn't like that. But it's not a matter of the game being rushed or unfinished. Fair play to RE2 for not using the same tactics. But I will say I vastly preferred those RE7 modes than what RE2 post game offered.
I've literally said in this thread R2make feels unfinished also. But two wrongs don't make a right, and so that doesn't excuse RE7.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 is awful. It wanted to not be a RE game so badly (and they denied it was originally so they're either liars of it got the Silent Hill 4 treatment), clearly launched unfinished and continues to be even now.
When did they say it wasn't RE, lol? Kitchen was a tech demo VR showcase whose characters and setting were taken from the in development RE7.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
What DO you look for in RE the most? Because I cant guess based off this list tbh.

Revelations 2, 7, and Remake 2 I'd consider Stier for their writing and mixups to the formula, along with the pretty respectful fanservice. But, I love RE more for it's characters and world than anything else.

Gameplay and Story Beats are what I like most from Resident Evil. Characters are up there but it depends on the story they're injected into. Which is why something like Rev 2 is low for me. Good character moments but the story bringing it all together isn't to my liking.

It's a big reason why if the next RE was 100% action I'd have no issue if the gameplay and story beats were to my liking. RE being Survival horror/scary is about the last thing I care about in the series.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay and Story Beats are what I like most from Resident Evil. Characters are up there but it depends on the story they're injected into. Which is why something like Rev 2 is low for me. Good character moments but the story bringing it all together isn't to my liking.

It's a big reason why if the next RE was 100% action I'd have no issue if the gameplay and story beats were to my liking. RE being Survival horror/scary is about the last thing I care about in the series.
Yeah, Rev 2's overall story wasn't great, but the twists at the end of each episode + the true ending got me good, my soft spot for Barry and Moira is too big.

And honestly, same. While I adore Re2make being actually scary, I've also realized that I mostly just love horror themes/subject matter rather than scariness for scary's sake.

In a perfect world we have all three templates co-existing, but we'll probably never get another game with 6's depth, which is depressing.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
With E3 on the horizon and those old RE3make rumours saying we'll see it 'earlier than expected' (paraphrasing), do y'all think it's likely we'll see it announced within 3 days?

Oct 25, 2017
With E3 on the horizon and those old RE3make rumours saying we'll see it 'earlier than expected' (paraphrasing), do y'all think it's likely we'll see it announced within 3 days?

I don't think it's happening this E3. I think earlier than expected would be announced at E3 next year for a 2021 release and even then I don't 100% believe it.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh boy I'm up for RE2make DLC if it exists.
I originally thought that RE8 would be announced next at 2020 (2 year RE cycle) but with the rumours that that was 'next-gen' and RE3make 'would be earlier than expected' I assumed it would be at this E3.

I've not heard much of rumours or leaks close to now (I was sure we knew RE2 and DMCV would show before the conferences) so I assume it won't be but it'd be amazing.

Yes I'll also take Revelations 3 thanks.

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo Direct was such a fucking troll. Resident Evil. Show people going in to a scary house. That's a RE7 tease if I've ever seen one.

Like, how was that an ad for RE5 and 6? That was clearly a horror tone for a reveal of horror games. What a goddamn troll I'm so mad.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So much for the rumor.

DXD6cmHXcAAG5SI.jpg

It roughly translates to something between "I was tricked" and "I was scammed". It's a joke by the way.

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm guessing something went wrong? Or maybe the response to RE2 made them re-evaluate how they wanted to approach the game.

Or the leaks were simply wrong? Although it might be worth pointing out that no one ever stated r3make would be announced at E3, only that its reveal would be sooner than expected (that was a few months back). It obviously made me and others think of E3, but that's hardly the only date that fits such a statement.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Or the leaks were simply wrong? Although it might be worth pointing out that no one ever stated r3make would be announced at E3, only that its reveal would be sooner than expected (that was a few months back). It obviously made me and others think of E3, but that's hardly the only date that fits such a statement.

I can't imagine modern Capcom being happy with having almost no presence at E3 and no major titles ready to show off for early 2020.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I'm going through the whole series at the moment (had only played Revelations and tried 4 but couldn't handle it's controls at the time)

I just finished RE 1 director's cut. I played it on the Vita (bought the trilogy).

It was very tough to get into it at first, mainly because of how bad it looks most of the time. It feels like there is very little art direction for most of the game.

Eventually it started to grow on me and I ended up loving it, right down to the amazingly bad dialogue - Barry is awesome!
The controls also didn't bother me at all, surprisingly.
I love the ammo management aspect, I love blowing zombies heads off, I really like the setting and story. And man, the music and sound is actually still great in this.

Can't wait to start RE 2. I hope it also has a Magnum :D felt awesome to one shot those chimera enemies!

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
The other PSone RE games have a big step up in the quality of the backgrounds and character models, so you have that to look forward to. Also REmake of course makes the first game into a gorgeous haunted house work of art.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm going through the whole series at the moment (had only played Revelations and tried 4 but couldn't handle it's controls at the time)

I just finished RE 1 director's cut. I played it on the Vita (bought the trilogy).

It was very tough to get into it at first, mainly because of how bad it looks most of the time. It feels like there is very little art direction for most of the game.

Eventually it started to grow on me and I ended up loving it, right down to the amazingly bad dialogue - Barry is awesome!
The controls also didn't bother me at all, surprisingly.
I love the ammo management aspect, I love blowing zombies heads off, I really like the setting and story. And man, the music and sound is actually still great in this.

Can't wait to start RE 2. I hope it also has a Magnum :D felt awesome to one shot those chimera enemies!

Best soundtrack in the series!

Anyway, I think you're in for a graet journey. I'm surprised RE4's controls bothered you while the first game's didn't. Maybe the fact RE4 has a TPP make you expect a certain king of controls? Anyway, RE1's visuals can be a bit underwhelming, but RE2 and RE3 are a great improvement. And as already mentioned, you have REmake.

I think you should replay RE4 right after the classics. With their controls on the back of your head I believe RE4 will flow naturally.

Deleted member 36186

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The other PSone RE games have a big step up in the quality of the backgrounds and character models, so you have that to look forward to. Also REmake of course makes the first game into a gorgeous haunted house work of art.

I'll try 2 tonight ! Looking forward to the improvements!

Best soundtrack in the series!

Anyway, I think you're in for a graet journey. I'm surprised RE4's controls bothered you while the first game's didn't. Maybe the fact RE4 has a TPP make you expect a certain king of controls? Anyway, RE1's visuals can be a bit underwhelming, but RE2 and RE3 are a great improvement. And as already mentioned, you have REmake.

I think you should replay RE4 right after the classics. With their controls on the back of your head I believe RE4 will flow naturally.

I think it's definitely the TPP that threw me off. But like you said, after getting used to it in the classic versions I'm sure it will feel much more natural when I get to 4!

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Jill Valentine is a cop in the 1999 survival-horror game. She wears a blue tube top, black skirt, white jacket tied around her waist and a pair of brown boots. Ms Tran let out a sigh when she looked at a picture - as zombie-killing outfits go it seems more than a bit impractical, and is a far cry from some of the combat-ready suits the character wears in the title's sequels.

"One of the things outfits can really do is create an interesting silhouette so that you know they're a main character. There's nothing exciting about [Jill's] outfit other than..." she paused briefly.

"Actually, there's nothing exciting about it at all."

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48794418

I beg to differ.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Impractical? Sure. Not exciting? No way. People can argue the reasons why, but Jill is immediately identifiable in it and it is iconic.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Being impractical is one of the things that make the costume so interesting. It's show Jill the civilian rather than Jill the soldier. What I wonder is if you can keep that feeling and make it more... adequate to the context.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the obvious answer for a R3make would be an introduction with the iconic tube and a wardrobe change at some point to Jill's RE3 alt in the button up long sleeve blue shirt with black slacks.

She's caught in the city out and about, but changes when she gets to the station and has access to her locker.