• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 on Vita isn't as bad as I thought performance wise. Granted this is with the patch and such, but I was expecting far worse.
It's still the worst way to play, but if it was somehow your only way to play. I wouldn't say it would outright destroy what the game is going out for.

The biggest downgrades are
- Graphics (Obviously)
- Framerate (Mainly when fire or an explosion happens. it's pretty stable otherwise)
- Load Times (Probably my biggest gripe, thankfully the load times are spread out from one another)

Jan 11, 2018
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 on Vita isn't as bad as I thought performance wise. Granted this is with the patch and such, but I was expecting far worse.
It's still the worst way to play, but if it was somehow your only way to play. I wouldn't say it would outright destroy what the game is going out for.

The biggest downgrades are
- Graphics (Obviously)
- Framerate (Mainly when fire or an explosion happens. it's pretty stable otherwise)
- Load Times (Probably my biggest gripe, thankfully the load times are spread out from one another)

I quite like the port because it feels so different from the other versions. It's almost like the PS2 version that never was. The unpatched graphics, without the gamma correction, are kinda charming. The framerate I can live with for the most part. I think the audio is the worst offender. It's like 56 kbps mp3 files. But yeah, it's kind of a curiosity and since every other version is basically a the PC version with lower specs it's the one that stands out as the most unique and worth double dipping for, imo.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Finally after 5+ years since the PS3, I get to play RE5. I am playing it co-op with a friend and can I just say that the early part, on Normal is pretty 'whack'?
Like OK we gotta survive this horde but you'd think Sheeva and Chris are trained well enough to NOT STAND STILL AND FIRE AT PEOPLE RUSHING TOWARDS THEM. This is prob. the reason RE4 hasn't gelled with me with the little time I played. Doesn't help that you gotta hold out for near 5 minutes with all these zombies rushing at you.

Still playing with a bud is making this experience more fun. My only gripe on Normal is just how damned bullet spongey enemies are! How many damned clips do I gotta waste on these zombies heads to get a proper headshot?!!

EDIT: Also, holy framoly, what is up with this ugly colour pallete PS360 games of the time were so fucking adhering to?!?! Using a simple fan mod/patch I managed to introduce som proper friggin' colours into this danged game, there'd be better options but I am liking it so far
8B288FE0C4C071BA4C2A90553CAC4650B6004572

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
EDIT: Also, holy framoly, what is up with this ugly colour pallete PS360 games of the time were so fucking adhering to?!?! Using a simple fan mod/patch I managed to introduce som proper friggin' colours into this danged game, there'd be better options but I am liking it so far
8B288FE0C4C071BA4C2A90553CAC4650B6004572

ugh wow I didn't even know this was possible. Damn I wish we had this on consoles. The PS360 era of green / brown filters was a hot mess.

Oct 28, 2017
RE5 is the most disappointing game in the series. To go from RE4 to that was something else. To this day I've still never actually finished RE5 despite multiple attempts. I always get so far and call it quits because I get bored as hell. It's one of the only games I've actually watched a lets play of but never beaten myself.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure it's great in local co-op but I never really enjoyed the single player experience. It was frustrating to keep having to deal with a partner that ran out of ammo, used the wrong weapons (in particular Sheeva defaulting to the stun rod) and kept needing to use up my healing items. For all it's faults, RE6 at least just let you ignore the other character while you played it.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure it's great in local co-op but I never really enjoyed the single player experience. It was frustrating to keep having to deal with a partner that ran out of ammo, used the wrong weapons (in particular Sheeva defaulting to the stun rod) and kept needing to use up my healing items. For all it's faults, RE6 at least just let you ignore the other character while you played it.
The AI does not waste healing items. It is a myth/excuse bad players make up.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
They were probably thinking it gave it more of a horror feel to it.
Eeeeeh I don't know. It just made it look ugly, as I'm not getting an extended 'horror' feel from it at all :/

Co-op is quite decent in RE5 although if one player dies then that is it, and generally you do NOT want to be split apart from one another. You'd need to stay close in order to heal the other player if you need to.

Here are some more screens I took
CC28BF300C3246CFFF5D338228A735C0110AD265

9B1B0B3CFA57F39920054584877027895C4C3F3C

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I got RE0, RE4, RE5, RE6 on the Steam sale, I'm the only gamer on earth who's never played RE4 so I'm looking forward to that. I hear RE0 is decent, as well. I already have the REMake and RE2Make and have played/loved them, gonna get around to these guys whenever I'm between current releases I think.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Well my friend wants to get into re6 after we finish 5 xp
Someone post the guide for playing re6 as i recall that each character chapter ahould bebplayed one after another dor a better time.
My understanding is that the combat includes melee focus which interests me a lot so this one ill play with controller.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I've played RE6 both a campaign at a time and the chronological chapter jumping way and I think just playing each campaign as a whole is the better experience. It's clear that's how it's designed, and it feels more cohesive and avoids tedium of repeating the same event right after you just played it with another set of characters.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well my friend wants to get into re6 after we finish 5 xp
Someone post the guide for playing re6 as i recall that each character chapter ahould bebplayed one after another dor a better time.
My understanding is that the combat includes melee focus which interests me a lot so this one ill play with controller.

I enjoyed playing it chronological, I think it helped ease up the gameplay styles to be more palatable tbh.

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suggest playing RE6 full campaigns at a time. And for best order for story revelations, Chris, Jake, Leon, Ada.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed playing it chronological, I think it helped ease up the gameplay styles to be more palatable tbh.

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

This is how I played on release. Probably why I like the game so much too.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I got SSGSS anti aliasing properly applied to RE5 and the game is much cleaner and smoother looking to me. I dunno if these screens properly convery the image qualty but I liked the scenery :X
16862A45522E8F5899C266229C7AD6046D931E25
116023AB25263CFEC837EC7C0B5E187470A837F8

Also, these PS360 era textures
D658A5587D715711E4B41CDC21533AFB698CC132

Jun 18, 2018
It makes quite a difference, yeah.

I feel like the complete removal of tone mapping reduces the feeling of oppression & bleakness in the environments. I think I've found a compromise that works, at least with those images, but I can't upload one, But if you want to give it a try, stick both images in a 2D art package like photoshop, an image per layer, and lower the opacity of whichever is on top so that image with extra colour is just that little bit more dominant that the original.

Jan 11, 2018
I feel like the complete removal of tone mapping reduces the feeling of oppression & bleakness in the environments. I think I've found a compromise that works, at least with those images, but I can't upload one, But if you want to give it a try, stick both images in a 2D art package like photoshop, an image per layer, and lower the opacity of whichever is on top so that image with extra colour is just that little bit more dominant that the original.

I have to disagree. The original colour filter makes everything looks lifeless, and almost post-apocalyptic. To me, everything looking more like how you'd see it in real life, knowing something is not quite right makes for a far scarier atmosphere.

Jun 18, 2018
I have to disagree. The original colour filter makes everything looks lifeless, and almost post-apocalyptic. To me, everything looking more like how you'd see it in real life, knowing something is not quite right makes for a far scarier atmosphere.

I wasn't saying that I prefer the original, but I do think "almost post-apocalypse" is the intent behind its tone, with the suggestion the sand & pollution wearing the colour & life out of this world.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
They were probably thinking it gave it more of a horror feel to it.
Aren't piss filters meant to save memory, by limiting the range of colors that can be produced on screen you can use less memory than the one required for a full range of colors. So the intensity of the piss filter is mostly due to technical limitations, while the artistic choice part of the piss filter is just picking the color range you're limiting the display to(greenish, yellowish, etc... filter).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
My friend and I have started RE6.
I am playing it as similar to RE5 as possible but really want to get my melee on with suplexs and shit.
I give this game credit for letting me play Leon with DUAL WIELDING PISTOLS and not giving me a bullet penalty.

But
H
O
L
Y
S
H
I
T

WHY IS THIS GAME SO DARK?!?!?! No amount of brightness increase helps, everything is dark as all heck. I tried a reshade setting my friend linked me and it was still dark at places. Dang thing sadly crashed my game at one point so I am trying with out it.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
My friend and I have started RE6.
I am playing it as similar to RE5 as possible but really want to get my melee on with suplexs and shit.
You have to fully embrace the action in RE6, or else it'll just dissapoint. Counters, mobility options and the faster paced gameplay are a lot of fun once you get them down.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Oooh how do i utilize counters? Also i need more opportunities for my friend to let me suplex enemies.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Right before an enemy hits you a prompt appears for you to counter attack. It happens very quickly though so it's more about your timing then reacting to it.
Gotcha thanks.
I still plan on playing Mercenaries FYI, one of my cousins seems to have gotten the RE collection on Steam so I'll hit him up for a few games down the line.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Mercenaries on RE6 is where the action control scheme really shines, like it's the best mode of the game.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Oooh how do i utilize counters? Also i need more opportunities for my friend to let me suplex enemies.
Right before an enemy hits you a prompt appears for you to counter attack. It happens very quickly though so it's more about your timing then reacting to it.
Also, you counter with the melee button, so if you miss a melee comes out and you'd get punished. You can offset this by aiming your gun at the enemy whose about to attack, then letting go of the aim and spamming the counter/melee button as their attack start, this make it easier as the aim recovery prevent melee attacks from coming out and give you more than one chance to time the counter.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thanks gang.
I'm encountering a bunch of crashes on the PC ver., which started after I used a mod to brighten the game, and it's been popping up again in chapter 2. Really bumming my experience with the game :S

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I started to play Resident Evil 5 again, got annoyed by the Uruboros boss where I ended a few monts ago.
At some point I bought a rocket and shot at it and had a laugh how easily it was defeated.
Have to remember this when I fight against Jill and Wesker.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I started to play Resident Evil 5 again, got annoyed by the Uruboros boss where I ended a few monts ago.
At some point I bought a rocket and shot at it and had a laugh how easily it was defeated.
Have to remember this when I fight against Jill and Wesker.
Are you playing it solo? RE5 is one of those games that is primarily to be played co-op. I don't remember having any issues with any of the Uroboros bosses early in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
If you wanted to see how Capcom really feels about Jill Valentine look no further than Teppen,
Rebecca appears on twice as many cards.