• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
If you wanted to see how Capcom really feels about Jill Valentine look no further than Teppen,
Rebecca appears on twice as many cards.
I feel like that's almost certainly because they wouldn't reveal Jill's updated look in Teppen when REmake 3 is deep in development! The game even have two SF heroes and 1 Resident Evil's(and it's a villain), that probably wont last long too.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
What is the general sentiment on RE5's Desperate Escape with you guys? I've played through it like twenty times over the years, and I always have a blast, but today my friend (who was playing it for the first time) called it horrible / terrible / blando when we were finished. Said he didn't like the encounters, that the final fight is just a "horde mode", and that he'd heard the majority opinion is that it's crap, which he agrees with.

I'm just trying to gather some idea of whether or not that's a common opinion, since I never got the impression that it was. I've seen people who say they're not big on DE, but never that it was terrible, crap, etc. To me, it's an awesome gauntlet of non-stop action and challenge that demands both players constantly stay on their toes. You never really catch a break, and I appreciate that intensity, especially when juxtaposed against Lost in Nightmares (which is basically the polar opposite: a moody, atmospheric trip to a mansion that harkens back to the classics).

It's also great playing as Josh and Jill. Josh in particular got his own melee moves for this DLC, after just using recycled Chris moves during the segments in which he appears in the main campaign. It's great tackling, elbow dropping, and backhanding the Majini around.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DE has no cheat mode with infinite ammo etc nor does it let you upgrade guns so you're fighting with the basics. So I can see why it turns plenty of players off, you have no crutch and need actually be good at the game. Especially on Professional.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Desperate Escape can fuck off into the sun on professional. I tried that final section shit for like 3 hours and gave up back in the day.
It's okay for a quick romp, I kind of think it's rather forgettable, Lost in Nightmares is clearly the superior DLC.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not a fan of Lost in Nightmares either. The winking references to the first game but offering none of the stuff that made that game good were tiresome.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It was good for the first run during the drought of horror RE. It's very overshadowed now by Revelations, RE7 and RE2R though.
I still like it, but yeah the best section is the cave puzzle & Wesker fight.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Desperate Escape can fuck off into the sun on professional. I tried that final section shit for like 3 hours and gave up back in the day.
It's okay for a quick romp, I kind of think it's rather forgettable, Lost in Nightmares is clearly the superior DLC.
I really enjoy Lost in Nightmares as well, but when I pause to consider it, the replay value and potential for variation is very minimal. The only enemy you fight is a single monster used repeatedly throughout, one that shares a moveset with the Executioner enemy from the base game. On top of that, the puzzles can only be solved a single way, so I think the only excitement in replaying LiN is the different possible enemy spawns. Desperate Escape at least remains an engaging challenge on replay, especially taking the superior variation into account (you can get town or base Majini as your primary enemy type, Reapers or Executioners, weapon and item spawns are different, greater skill and environmental awareness is demanded from both players, etc.)

I like that both exist, as Lost in Nightmares evokes mood and horror, while Desperate Escape is heart-pounding action from start to finish.
Just started playing Resident Evil 7.
Enjoy it!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I feel like that's almost certainly because they wouldn't reveal Jill's updated look in Teppen when REmake 3 is deep in development! The game even have two SF heroes and 1 Resident Evil's(and it's a villain), that probably wont last long too.

I want to agree, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part. I think if R3make is indeed in developement we should hear something this year. I was hoping E3 but that's gone, so maybe TGS? It's quite close to RE3's 20th anniversary.

What is the general sentiment on RE5's Desperate Escape with you guys? I've played through it like twenty times over the years, and I always have a blast, but today my friend (who was playing it for the first time) called it horrible / terrible / blando when we were finished. Said he didn't like the encounters, that the final fight is just a "horde mode", and that he'd heard the majority opinion is that it's crap, which he agrees with.

I'm just trying to gather some idea of whether or not that's a common opinion, since I never got the impression that it was. I've seen people who say they're not big on DE, but never that it was terrible, crap, etc. To me, it's an awesome gauntlet of non-stop action and challenge that demands both players constantly stay on their toes. You never really catch a break, and I appreciate that intensity, especially when juxtaposed against Lost in Nightmares (which is basically the polar opposite: a moody, atmospheric trip to a mansion that harkens back to the classics).

It's also great playing as Josh and Jill. Josh in particular got his own melee moves for this DLC, after just using recycled Chris moves during the segments in which he appears in the main campaign. It's great tackling, elbow dropping, and backhanding the Majini around.

That's how I see it. It's a great example of how intense Resident Evil can be, and it's an intensity that was very much present in RE4, but was lost in the majority of RE5. I do think it's much better played with a human partner though, especially on professional. I beat it once alone on that difficulty and I don't think I'll ever attempt that again.

Oct 28, 2017
Well since they went on sale I grabbed REmake and RE0 for Switch. Gonna tackle RE0 when I get the chance. I've only actually played a small amount of that game. I just remember getting annoyed with the lack of item boxes so dropped it early.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That's how I see it. It's a great example of how intense Resident Evil can be, and it's an intensity that was very much present in RE4, but was lost in the majority of RE5. I do think it's much better played with a human partner though, especially on professional. I beat it once alone on that difficulty and I don't think I'll ever attempt that again.
After seeing both of you guys comment on DE's difficulty on Professional, I decided to go and do a solo run, since it'd been awhile since I had. You weren't exaggerating. Boy, was it a healthy challenge. I love how you don't simply take more damage, but rather, the AI is also substantially more aggressive and deadly. The Majini don't just stand around and wait for you to shoot them, they'll take any opportunity to run up on you and attack. For this reason, it's important to be hyper aware of the spawns, and funnel them down a bottleneck whenever possible. The AI partner was a nuisance at times, standing around to get hit and go into dying, but at least they were accurate with the machine gun. Final encounter was tough, and I had to use the magnum, both rocket launchers, grenades, etc. wisely. Ended with 248 kills. Definitely still hold a high opinion of DE after that, pretty intense run.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Now taht I think about it, why does DC Douglas sound like he's expressing his inner horny side when doing Wesker's voice?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well that is Resi 7 out of the way.

Still not a fan of the first person perspective but I can live with it.

Loved the house stuff, felt very texas chainsaw massacre and then when the ship part came it kinda went overboard, too supernatural. Yes, even by Resi standards.

Oct 28, 2017
Playing REmake on Switch at the moment. Why is this game so goddamn good? Can't believe I have RE4 and REmake on a portable system. Living the dream guys.

With that said because Nintendo are so fucking awful every now and then I have the annoyance of either walking forward when I don't want to or seeing Chris spin round on the spot over and over again because of the joycon problem. I have the drift issue on BOTH my joycons now!

My left was a replacement I last year because my launch one was fucked. I'm hesistant to get replacements because, one, they're bloody expensive. And two, last time I got a replacement it didn't take long for this shit to happen again. I just want Nintendo to acknowledge this and release new joycons confirming they've fixed the problem.

But nevertheless, I have REmake on a handheld and it's awesome.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I got a bunch of RE titles on the Steam sale. I've previously beaten REMake, RE2Make, and RE7.

Trying to choose between RE0HD, RE4, RE5, or RE6 next. Will be my first play through for any of them other than playing a few minutes of the wii version of RE4 back in the day. Anyone wanna shill for their favorite out of those, or give thoughts in general? I don't think going in chronological order really matters to me at this point.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I got a bunch of RE titles on the Steam sale. I've previously beaten REMake, RE2Make, and RE7.

Trying to choose between RE0HD, RE4, RE5, or RE6 next. Will be my first play through for any of them other than playing a few minutes of the wii version of RE4 back in the day. Anyone wanna shill for their favorite out of those, or give thoughts in general? I don't think going in chronological order really matters to me at this point.
Sure, I'll shill my favorite and condemn my least favorite. Let's start with shitting on RE0.

Resident Evil 0 is a wholly unnecessary game that doesn't fit in well with the rest of the series. It features a dumb story, doesn't make sense as a RE1 prequel, the levels and bosses are mediocre, controlling two characters and managing their items isn't intuitive or fun, the enemies are annoying, and more. Worst of all, there are no item boxes in the game, so you need to just drop your shit on the floor and return to old areas when you need to grab it again. Even the RE0 fans would probably not rank this among their favorites if they were taking all of the RE games into account.

The way I see it, the only logical place to go from the games you've listed is Resident Evil 4. I don't think I even need to shill this game, the rest of the forum constantly already does that for us. One of the greatest games ever made, an amazing action horror TPS from start to finish. It doesn't make sense to play RE5 or RE6 before this one, as both of them are evolutions of the combat first implemented in RE4. You'll have an easier time going from the older game to the more modern ones, as opposed to the other way around.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Sure, I'll shill my favorite and condemn my least favorite. Let's start with shitting on RE0.

Resident Evil 0 is a wholly unnecessary game that doesn't fit in well with the rest of the series. It features a dumb story, doesn't make sense as a RE1 prequel, the levels and bosses are mediocre, controlling two characters and managing their items isn't intuitive or fun, the enemies are annoying, and more. Worst of all, there are no item boxes in the game, so you need to just drop your shit on the floor and return to old areas when you need to grab it again. Even the RE0 fans would probably not rank this among their favorites if they were taking all of the RE games into account.

The way I see it, the only logical place to go from the games you've listed is Resident Evil 4. I don't think I even need to shill this game, the rest of the forum constantly already does that for us. One of the greatest games ever made, an amazing action horror TPS from start to finish. It doesn't make sense to play RE5 or RE6 before this one, as both of them are evolutions of the combat first implemented in RE4. You'll have an easier time going from the older game to the more modern ones, as opposed to the other way around.

Hah, well you know I respect your opinion since you're a member of the Yakuza Community, Kyodai ;-). Yeah, I was leaning towards 4, just because the forum gives it such universal praise. My cousin also just messaged me to concur. Guess I know what to fire up here in a bit..

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Hah, well you know I respect your opinion since you're a member of the Yakuza Community, Kyodai ;-). Yeah, I was leaning towards 4, just because the forum gives it such universal praise. My cousin also just messaged me to concur. Guess I know what to fire up here in a bit..
2HRR.gif

I enjoyed reading your enthusiastic posts about Yakuza, back when you were new to it. Be sure to make an LTTP thread for RE4 once you're done, or just post in this thread from time to time as you go through it.

(And if you are going to play RE0 at some point, make sure you're prepared for something... not so great. It's far from a Yakuza 0 tier prequel. lol)

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I played a bit of RE4 today. Good stuff so far. Anyone got any mods to recommend? Mostly I go for QOL type mods than gameplay mods. My only complaint so far is that the controls still feel tanky despite being over the shoulder. The Spanish cursing every 3 seconds is cracking me up

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My only complaint so far is that the controls still feel tanky despite being over the shoulder. The Spanish cursing every 3 seconds is cracking me up

RE4 was still tank controls, just a different perspective.

No idea on mods sorry. I'm also playing through RE4, but on PS4. Man some of the textures are ugly.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I played a bit of RE4 today. Good stuff so far. Anyone got any mods to recommend? Mostly I go for QOL type mods than gameplay mods. My only complaint so far is that the controls still feel tanky despite being over the shoulder. The Spanish cursing every 3 seconds is cracking me up
Yup, the controls are still the same tank controls found in the classic games, the only difference is the camera perspective. I highly recommend getting comfortable with quick turn (press back and the run button at the same time), as it's an invaluable asset in terms of maneuverability, enabling you to do an instant 180 and start running in the other direction.

Also, I'm not sure how the PC version controls, but on console, tilting the camera and then aiming allows you to instantly aim in that direction. Very useful.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm through Chris's story for the first time in REmake. Alright spoil me before I go further. Just how bad is the game design here? As bad as original RE1 or not? Basically I want to know if I'm locked out of the final boss or not.

Apparently I was supposed to go find and save Rebecca when I heard her scream? In original RE1 the game was really fucking annoying about arbitrary game choices you couldn't know beforehand and my first playthrough actually locked me out of fighting the final boss as Jill in that game. Shit never blew up I never had the roof Tyrant fight. All I want to know is if not saving Rebecca does the same thing in REmake. I can deal with not getting the best possible ending cutscene. I cannot deal with being locked out of gameplay content for something so arbitrary.

Well never mind I ended up loading an older save just in case.

Last edited:

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm through Chris's story for the first time in REmake. Alright spoil me before I go further. Just how bad is the game design here? As bad as original RE1 or not? Basically I want to know if I'm locked out of the final boss or not.

Apparently I was supposed to go find and save Rebecca when I heard her scream? In original RE1 the game was really fucking annoying about arbitrary game choices you couldn't know beforehand and my first playthrough actually locked me out of fighting the final boss as Jill in that game. Shit never blew up I never had the roof Tyrant fight. All I want to know is if not saving Rebecca does the same thing in REmake. I can deal with not getting the best possible ending cutscene. I cannot deal with being locked out of gameplay content for something so arbitrary.

Well never mind I ended up loading an older save just in case.

There are fewer alternate outcome in REmake I think. I've always fought the final boss whereas I missed it when I last played RE1.

Oct 28, 2017
So I finished REmake as Chris. So.....the differences between him and Jill are really negligible huh? Hardly an RE2 Leon and Claire situation. Both are damn near identicle. I always thought Chris was supposed to be the hard mode but his higher chance of a critical shot as well as his defensive items being grenades that blow off zombies heads make crimson heads less of a thing to deal with. Beat this playthrough without dying once. His limited inventory is a bit more of a pain but it's not too bad especially since I had a rough idea what I'd need going in to each area.

Yeah I feel like maybe Jill is the harder character in REmake? Although Chris does have to actually fight Plant 42 so there's that.

Anyway, up next is RE0! Now this is a game I've only breifly played before and dropped fairly quickly when the lack of item boxes annoyed me. So we'll see how this goes.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Chris is only the harder one in RE1. In REmake they're fairly balanced, and yeah most of the differences just come out to their specific character traits and Jill being able to access some areas in a different order because of the lock pick.

I'm replaying 0 currently and I was enjoying it more than the first time for a good while but then when you really bump into the frustration of the lack of item boxes after the first major area, and a couple other annoying design decisions are also dropped on you simultaneously, it's really trying my patience lol. Which is a shame because at it's the core the game is a solid, if not especially remarkable, RE game. The puzzles are some of the better ones in the series and the backgrounds are gorgeous, so it has that going for it. I also think the two character system is implemented pretty well for the most part and makes for some interesting encounters and item management (running out of space in a room notwithstanding).

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how far I got in RE0 (got to the part where you have to go to a basement to save one of your characters from monkeys) and kinda just never returned after taking a break.

The visuals are nice and Rebecca is love but the whole item management thing is putting me off from returning.

Tbh I kinda wish the entire game took place in the train setting.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok first impressions of RE0. Yeah this item management is already tedious as hell. Why can you put so few items in a single room?! The back and fourth is already lame and I'm barely anywhere in the game yet. But the thing is that aside I like the game so far. Some shots are straight gorgeous. The character switching thing hasn't got particularly annoying yet, but 6 slots per character is too few with this shitty item system. And Billy not being able to combine herbs is bleh.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Rebecca dies via Hunter there is no Helipad Tyrant fight.

Same if Barry dies to Lisa, whatever your choice with the gun.

Oct 28, 2017
is it worth checking out the other Resi 7 DLC?

I alrady did the Not A Hero because it was free
Hell yeah. Ethan Must Die was an absolute addiction for me. Felt really cool to slowly master that. And the bedroom was a cool little escape the room level with a nice twist. Really cool wave based defense mode in there too. I never played the rest of the DLC but that first pack was great fun. Most people say the End of Zoe DLC is really good. I should get around to playing that at some point.

Oct 28, 2017
Ok Resident Evil 0 is such fucking horseshit. What kind of garbage game design is this? Just lost a good amount of progress because Rebecca got grabbed by this giant beetle thing and I didn't have enough ammo on me as Billy to kill it in time. Rebecca had the hunting rifle all Billy had was a handgun with limited ammo. Went through all that ammo and had nothing left to kill it. I tried to backtrack to get the grenade launcher I found earlier but couldn't get to it in time. And who knows if it would have been enough anyway.

Seriously this is garbage game design.

Look as much shit as I give Code Veronica for all its problems, it didn't pull shit like this.

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Don't worry, the best is yet to come. ;)

And I agree, the game's design is very similar to RECV in that there are moments where, if you're not prepared (and there is no foreshadowing that would give you any hint to be prepared) you're screwed. You've already expierienced one of the instances where the game suddenly separates you from the partner and forces you to play as one of the characters, even if the character has no weapon/health items.

Some hints to make the life easier:
- if you haven't grab the hookshot from the crash site, do it - you will need it later in the game and backtracking for it later all the way to the train will be a pain in the ass
- before you activate the Observatory, move all your items there; after the activation you don't want to go back to the training facility (it will be infested with new enemies)
- Billy will dissapear from the game for some time at one point, and take all his equipment with him. Make sure to not give him all the powerful weapons and/or herbs.
- near the end of the game there will be a very specific enemy that can one-hit kill you; when it appears, just run for your life

Last edited:

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
before you activate the Observatory, move all your items there; after the activation you don't want to go back to the training facility (it will be infested with new enemies)

This so much. Not only will it be infested with new enemies, but it also changes the level design so you have to take a longer route to get back.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Few tips on how to deal with the game's bullshit:
- save often
- whenever you're about to move to a new major location, take all the items with you and place them in an easily accessible location
- you will need the hookshot at least three times in the next location after the Observatory; after you use it near a cable car, you can finally say farewell to it
- you will get separated with Billy near the cable car - remember to give Rebecca weapons and health items
- the one-hit-kill enemy is near the dam at the end of the game

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok Resident Evil 0 is such fucking horseshit. What kind of garbage game design is this? Just lost a good amount of progress because Rebecca got grabbed by this giant beetle thing and I didn't have enough ammo on me as Billy to kill it in time. Rebecca had the hunting rifle all Billy had was a handgun with limited ammo. Went through all that ammo and had nothing left to kill it. I tried to backtrack to get the grenade launcher I found earlier but couldn't get to it in time. And who knows if it would have been enough anyway.

Seriously this is garbage game design.

Look as much shit as I give Code Veronica for all its problems, it didn't pull shit like this.
RE has always done this type of thing. Surprise! Boss fight, and tough shit if you aren't prepared.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
RE has always done this type of thing. Surprise! Boss fight, and tough shit if you aren't prepared.

The difference is that in previous games you usually always have your character armed to teeth. In RE0 you have two characters, with 6 slots each, and weapons taking up 2 slots, so it's common that one character has more weapons than the other. And then the game can suddenly block you from using half of your equipment.

This could be easily resolved if Rebecca dropped all her items to the ground the moment she is grabbed by the boss. Same case with Billy near the cable car. Imagine not knowing what will happen to Billy and giving him shotgun and grenade launcher (since many people prefer him to be the main offensive character) prior to the attack. Surprise, you've just lost two powerful weapons for quite some time.

Oct 28, 2017
Played some more RE0. Solved the disc puzzle and now all the doors blocked by swords are open. Right now my opinion of this game is that it feels fairly tedious and the partner mechanic is mostly annoying. I like it more than RE5 and 6 at this point. The core of RE is there. But I would rank it below Code Veronica at the moment, therefore the worst classic style RE.

Ammo seems much more scarce than other games in the series. I'm much more tight for it. I have enough but I'm not swimming in it like I normally am with RE. Though the way this game is played combat wise feels quite different in that it feels like you're supposed to be double teaming your encounters, which obviously expends ammo quickly.

Hehe. Watching Mary Kish's RE0 playthrough as I play through the game myself, and I see she falls in to the exact same trap going in to the giant beetle thing fight without enough firepower. That really is such shit design.

Last edited:

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
If you thought the centipede boss was bad design, just you wait...

Fortunately the back half of the game actually has some solid boss fights.