• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
You fought a giant centipede and a giant scorpion, yet it's infected monkeys that surprise you?
This is a fair point.

So once again I just had a cheap as hell death. Oh ok a puzzle sequence where I have to press buttons as one character to open gates as I progress with the other. Cool. Made it through lets press this button.

BATTLE SEQUENCE INITITATED

I left the shotgun with Billy. Multiple hunters coming at Rebecca. Sigh. Thankfully I just saved though.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that one is too unfair, it's pretty obvious that something bad was gonna come out of the cages of the battle/test cage room. It even loads you up on ammo right before so you know something is going down and gives you acid rounds in that room.

Oct 28, 2017
Those leech zombie enemies scare the shit out of me when they show up. I think it's the music associated with them as much as the enemy itself. Makes me start panicking. I have discovered that this enemy is best dealt with using molotov's. They're bullet sponges but seem to go down to fire reasonably. But when possible I tend to just run past these enemies. They're easier to dodge than normal zombies. But if I have both characters on me that isn't an option.

Ok well now I'm stuck I don't know what to do. Huh.

I have 2 of the 3 tablets I need. I have a case that needs a code to open. I assume the last tablet is in there but I have no clues about the code. I've gone through my files there's no hint to the code there and I've explored every room. Don't tell me the answer just yet I'll have another explore.

Never mind think I know what I'm doing now.

Yeah this is why I like item boxes. I'm in a new area now ideally I wanna have access to all my shit but basically now I've gotta go back and fourth and move it all to the new area. With an item box I wouldn't have to waste time doing that.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you mean you've used all the tablets to proceed you only need bring hookshot with you, later is a shortcut to return to the mansion, unless you really need your ammo.

In the GC version leaving the mansion required disc swap, so going back and getting the hookshot required multiple disc changes.

Oct 28, 2017
If you mean you've used all the tablets to proceed you only need bring hookshot with you, later is a shortcut to return to the mansion, unless you really need your ammo.

In the GC version leaving the mansion required disc swap, so going back and getting the hookshot required multiple disc changes.
Oh neat.

Oh yeah and I should have an update on my overall thoughts of the game. It's been growing on my more recently. I think there are some annoying aspects to it but it's not a bad game I'm enjoying it. Think I might put it above Code Veronica now.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
After many reattempts and a lot of missed shots I have come to accept 7 napalm rounds used and still being on fine as an acceptable outcome for the bat boss. That boss felt annoying and bit of a roll of the dice whether my shots would land or not. Doubly so once the little bats came in to the fight.

WHY DO YOU AUTO AIM AT THE LITTLE BATS INSTEAD OF THE MAIN ONE?! WHY?!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After many reattempts and a lot of missed shots I have come to accept 7 napalm rounds used and still being on fine as an acceptable outcome for the bat boss. That boss felt annoying and bit of a roll of the dice whether my shots would land or not. Doubly so once the little bats came in to the fight.

WHY DO YOU AUTO AIM AT THE LITTLE BATS INSTEAD OF THE MAIN ONE?! WHY?!
The little bats share HP with the big one apparently. But stun locking the big one is quick and easy.

Oct 28, 2017
Right, in a scenario where there is absolutely no way I can have access to any two handed weapon, what is the appropriate way to deal with Hunters? Seriously they should let me pass the shotgun through the chute. Right now I'm thinking I should just try to run past and get whatever I'm supposed to get.

Made it got hit multiple times had to use a full heal but made it.

To be honest I'm liking this game more than I expected. It has issues yes, but this is authentic Resident Evil there's some good design in here. It's now firmly above Code Veronica for me at the moment. Unless it completely shits the bed from here it should stay that way.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
That's misleading. When you first get the hookshot it implies only Rebecca can use it but apparently Billy can too. This would have been nice to know earlier. Oh well.

Oct 28, 2017
Geographically, it makes no sense for them to be the same place lol. I don't think it was ever confirmed whether it was intended to be or not.
I mean, I got on a cable car and went somewhere. Could have gone anywhere in theory!

Oh by the way thanks for the tip earlier guys. Made sure before I activated the cable car that Rebecca had access to everything.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Does this just look like the same place from the end of RE2 or is it actually the same place? Either way this is cool.

It's just a big easter egg. It makes no sense geographically, it makes no sense for Rebecca to even be there (by that time the laboratory was fully functional), it makes no sense for Rebecca or Enrico to not want to explore the lab. It was nice to see, though.

Oct 28, 2017
Beat the Tyrant I assume I'm in the final area of the game now. Man I really miss item boxes. The long treks back and fourth are getting real annoying.

Oct 28, 2017
Noooooo my biggest weakness. A block sliding puzzle!

Seriously this puzzle is infuriating.

FUUUUUUUCK THIS FUCKING PUZZLE GRRRRR

I'm not saving until this puzzle is done.

Oh fucking screw this I'm done for the day I give in I'm saving I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I guess I just needed sleep. Just did the box puzzle first go. A clear head helps sometimes.

Aaaaaand now the game is showing its ugly side again. Sudden boss fight. Gotta trek aaaaaaallllll the way back to go get my stuff due to the lack of item boxes.

GRRRRRR WHY DO YOU ADD NEW ENEMIES IN THE PARTS I BACKTRACK THROUGH?! IT'S A MASSIVE FUCKING TREK BACK I WANT TO DO IT AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND YOU MAKE ME RUN IN TO NEW ENEMIES THIS FUCKING SUCKS!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Yaaaaaay RE0 finished! I liked that game all in all. It has some annoying design choices at times and the lack of item boxes makes the late game particularly tedious with the back and fourth to get your stuff. But overall it's a solid game I liked it quite a bit.

For the most part I enjoyed the co-op mechanics and they were used well. Some good co-op puzzles and interesting decision making with the two character system. At times it was the source of annoyance like when the game would suddenly take a character away from you and if you hadn't given the right character the right stuff it screws you a bit. I wish that was implemented better. But most of the time it worked well and makes it a unique RE game.

Enemy designs were.....ok I guess. I liked the leech zombies they were quite scary and panic inducing when their music plays. Didn't like most of the bosses. Lets take this real life thing....BUT MAKE IT BIG! RE always does that, but it felt like they went to town with that with this game. Centipeed boss was straight up bad game design. The bat boss was not fun either. The late game bosses were more enjoyable than the early ones. I liked the Tyrant fights and the final boss. Nice one liner from Billy at the end I always appreciate that.

Story was eh. Like I just didn't remotely care. Hey that's one thing Code Veronica does have over this game. Code Veronica's story was hot garbage, but it was entertaining hot garbage. Zero was just completely forgettable.

I would rank RE0 behind the original trilogy, 4, both remakes and 7. But above the rest.

Oh yes, and please never give me another box puzzle ever again.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I've got to finish my RE0 replay. I'm at the start of the lab under the church. The transition to this area is so fucking rough with having to haul all your items out of the training facility and the bat boss. I do like the brief outdoor area, but I remember the lab not being as interesting a location as the training facility.

I'm liking it more on my replay, but I still feel CVX is the better of the lesser classic games. It just feels more ambitious and exciting with all its variety. They both share a lot of the same issues, but 0's feel more systemic and therefore more harming to the overall experience (boring locations, lack of item boxes) vs CVX having more "this is bullshit" moments — not that Zero is lacking in those either.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The last time I replayed 0 it really went down in my rankings. I placed it above Code Veronica previously but it went down to worst mainline game for me.
It doesn't help that I prefer Rebecca to Billy and she has such finite health in comparison.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
The triple pack is 50 at Amazon right now if anyone wants to preorder.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Yaaaaaay RE0 finished! I liked that game all in all. It has some annoying design choices at times and the lack of item boxes makes the late game particularly tedious with the back and fourth to get your stuff. But overall it's a solid game I liked it quite a bit.

For the most part I enjoyed the co-op mechanics and they were used well. Some good co-op puzzles and interesting decision making with the two character system. At times it was the source of annoyance like when the game would suddenly take a character away from you and if you hadn't given the right character the right stuff it screws you a bit. I wish that was implemented better. But most of the time it worked well and makes it a unique RE game.

Enemy designs were.....ok I guess. I liked the leech zombies they were quite scary and panic inducing when their music plays. Didn't like most of the bosses. Lets take this real life thing....BUT MAKE IT BIG! RE always does that, but it felt like they went to town with that with this game. Centipeed boss was straight up bad game design. The bat boss was not fun either. The late game bosses were more enjoyable than the early ones. I liked the Tyrant fights and the final boss. Nice one liner from Billy at the end I always appreciate that.

Story was eh. Like I just didn't remotely care. Hey that's one thing Code Veronica does have over this game. Code Veronica's story was hot garbage, but it was entertaining hot garbage. Zero was just completely forgettable.

I would rank RE0 behind the original trilogy, 4, both remakes and 7. But above the rest.

Annoying item system aside I really like 0. I even got the platinum on it on the PS4 ha ha. At the time the visuals on the GC really blew me away and even now the updated backgrounds look superb.

I'm still working on the Remake platinum, just did a run on normal in 2 hours 28 minutes last week and might go for the Real survivor play through after i've played a couple of other games.

(So far got RE0, RE2, RE5, RE6, Operation Racoon City and Revelations platinums, Need to play VII and buy and run through RE4 again)

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Annoying item system aside I really like 0. I even got the platinum on it on the PS4 ha ha. At the time the visuals on the GC really blew me away and even now the updated backgrounds look superb.

I'm still working on the Remake platinum, just did a run on normal in 2 hours 28 minutes last week and might go for the Real survivor play through after i've played a couple of other games.

(So far got RE0, RE2, RE5, RE6, Operation Racoon City and Revelations platinums, Need to play VII and buy and run through RE4 again)
No version of RE4 has a platinum.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017

Zero was unfortunately a massive waste of a potentially interesting story. I would argue it should have had a prologue set during the initial Spencer mansion outbreak when the leeches got into the Umbrella laboratory. Billy was actual really cool though (and his relationship with Becky), the classic RE one liners felt appropriate for a cocky ex marine who's trying to redeem himself. A shame he got Carlos'd, unlike Rebecca who at least got a movie.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the only Resi game I bought full price was Resident Evil 2 Remake, I think.

Maybe Resident Evil 5 too. 2008 was a long time ago.

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
I started RE7 the other night and my god it spooks me out, very good jump scares. Does this calm down or does it keep it up throughout the whole game?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
R3make design?
D3QhXLq.jpg

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
She doesn't look too different from the original design there, no? I doubt they'll tease an ounce of the Remake design; the Resident Evil 2 board game only used older designs and RE2make was definitely quite a bit into development during it.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It's just that the stocking seem out of nowhere, were they in any other appearance she made with RE3 outfit?

Oct 28, 2017
September 28th. Daylight.
The monsters have overtaken the city.
Somehow........I'm still fabulous

RE3 Jill is best Jill. They best not mess with her design in the remake.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Zero was unfortunately a massive waste of a potentially interesting story. I would argue it should have had a prologue set during the initial Spencer mansion outbreak when the leeches got into the Umbrella laboratory. Billy was actual really cool though (and his relationship with Becky), the classic RE one liners felt appropriate for a cocky ex marine who's trying to redeem himself. A shame he got Carlos'd, unlike Rebecca who at least got a movie.

I like how Zero was billed as Bravo team's story only to... have Bravo team in it for about 5 minutes lmao

Moreover, considering the fact that REmake and 0 came out the same year, they really should've thought of a way to have Rebecca in REmake be more congruent with her 0 portrayal. Well, then again, she needs to be saved by Billy like 5 times so I suppose her Zero portrayal ain't that different from REmake after all.

I do have a weird soft spot for Zero though. I like the team of Becs and Billy, I LOVVVEEEE the train, the training facility is great even being a Mansion rehash, and the church is gorgeous. The fact that it has really annoying enemies, incredibly awful bosses just by virtue of designs minus a couple (giant scorpion, bat, and centipede with like no alterations to designs to make them look more zombified or w/e), the goddamn hookshot, and the weirdest villain in the series (they really tipped themselves with a leech legion recreating a younger version of an old man... who likes to sing opera) holds it back considerably. It's lower tier RE for sure, but still one I like.