• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've honestly never had problems with Move, it always worked great for me with HOTD4 and the Namco lightgun games released for it. I've not put time into the Chronicles games with it though (played the Wii versions back in the day before they were released on PS3) so I'll have to give it another try and see if I have any aiming issues. Always felt pretty accurate to me.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew that about RE5 with Move controls. Back when it came out, I actually bemoaned the lack of a PS Move in my ownership, since the prospect of playing RE5 like it was RE4 Wii sounded incredible. Now that you say that about the tracking (and the pointer resetting each time), though, I'm glad I never bought a Move for a single game back then. Would've been super disappointed.
It not like RE4 Wii at all, I think everyone expected that and it would have been great, but God knows why they implemented it the way they did.

Not having the reticle on screen so you can always track your aim was bad enough (it only appears while aiming), the resetting to centre with every aim just broke it and made Move a chore to use.

You'd shoot something top right of screen, release aim for whatever reason and if you didn't physically reposition back to centre screen before pressing aim again, it treated like the top right was centre screen, so if you aim centre afterwards the reticle goes bottom left. How the hell they thought this was acceptable I don't know, I'm guessing they had a deadline with Move launch so just rushed it out.

Jan 11, 2018
I will flip my lid if we get that RE7 "Chris" back.

We need a more accurate character model, and Roger Craig Smith back.

Sadly, I think we'll get to see more of RE7 Chris going forward. It would be weird if Capcom would contract these new models on a game by game basis, no?

From what I've read, the guy whose appearance his RE7 model is based on just happened to be the most Chris looking guy from the model agency they worked with for that game. I believe they also said they thought his prior appearances looked too unrealistic. Honestly, I'd be fine with them using the Vendetta model instead. At least he had the basics down. The RE7 model really doesn't look anything like any previous iteration of Chris.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Sadly, I think we'll get to see more of RE7 Chris going forward. It would be weird if Capcom would contract these new models on a game by game basis, no?

From what I've read, the guy whose appearance his RE7 model is based on just happened to be the most Chris looking guy from the model agency they worked with for that game. I believe they also said they thought his prior appearances looked too unrealistic. Honestly, I'd be fine with them using the Vendetta model instead. At least he had the basics down. The RE7 model really doesn't look anything like any previous iteration of Chris.
RE7 Chris was notoriously ill-received by fans, which is why I'd hope they'd change him. Someone else may have to source this, but I believe someone who worked on RE7 even had to comment on it and confirm it was really Chris and not HUNK or a clone. It's a big misstep when you make such an iconic character so unrecognizable. Not even the voice was accurate, let alone the look. Hope they can get someone good for the Code Veronica remake and any future games that Chris appears in.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 Chris was notoriously ill-received by fans, which is why I'd hope they'd change him. Someone else may have to source this, but I believe someone who worked on RE7 even had to comment on it and confirm it was really Chris and not HUNK or a clone. It's a big misstep when you make such an iconic character so unrecognizable. Not even the voice was accurate, let alone the look. Hope they can get someone good for the Code Veronica remake and any future games that Chris appears in.
There was quite a bit to make people question RE7 Chris though, aside from his new look and voice, he worked for some Umbrella Company and not the BSAA, and despite being a hero character was set to star in a DLC called 'Not A Hero'.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There was quite a bit to make people question RE7 Chris though, aside from his new look and voice, he worked for some Umbrella Company and not the BSAA, and despite being a hero character was set to star in a DLC called 'Not A Hero'.

That's why the ending of RE7 fell really flat for my in retrospective, and why I really don't like it. There's a certain uneasiness and awkwardness I felt during that ending, like something was seriously wrong, "who is this?? This isn't Chris." Looked nothing like him, sounded nothing like him, worked for umbrella, and after that and naming his DLC not a hero.... smh.

Such a massive misstep by Capcom.
just really soured me when Capcom were like yeah it is Chris actually.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That's why the ending of RE7 fell really flat for my in retrospective, and why I really don't like it. There's a certain uneasiness and awkwardness I felt during that ending, like something was seriously wrong, "who is this?? This isn't Chris." Looked nothing like him, sounded nothing like him, worked for umbrella, and after that and naming his DLC not a hero.... smh.

Such a massive misstep by Capcom.
just really soured me when Capcom were like yeah it is Chris actually.
Just imagine how amazing that ending would've been, had it been the BSAA and an actually recognizable Chris saving Ethan at the end there. Instead, it's another Umbrella revival and "Kriss Deadshield", which yeah, is a big wtf moment.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really need to let go of Umbrella. If they gonna keep inventing new Umbrellas they shouldn't have killed off the original in the first place.

Oct 30, 2017
After watching Avalanche's RE1 ports video, I decided to go through Deadly Silence. I've never done a Chris run, Jill is my favorite RE character so I always pick her, so I figured this is a fine way to do it. If you're not aware, the top screen of the DS is a permanent map and they added 2 pretty big gameplay mechanics. 180 degree turn and quick knife, where the knife isn't even an equippable inventory item anymore, you just always have it. This makes the game a bit easier but hey, I have nothing to prove.

Chris' inventory is more a nuisance than actual difficulty. I'm a very thorough player so it just resulted in me running back and forth a lot to the item boxes. I guess I was expecting a much harder time, and more differences too. All in all it's still RE1. I don't foresee playing RE1 again anytime soon but when I do, it'll be back to my best girl, Jill.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After watching Avalanche's RE1 ports video, I decided to go through Deadly Silence. I've never done a Chris run, Jill is my favorite RE character so I always pick her, so I figured this is a fine way to do it. If you're not aware, the top screen of the DS is a permanent map and they added 2 pretty big gameplay mechanics. 180 degree turn and quick knife, where the knife isn't even an equippable inventory item anymore, you just always have it. This makes the game a bit easier but hey, I have nothing to prove.

Chris' inventory is more a nuisance than actual difficulty. I'm a very thorough player so it just resulted in me running back and forth a lot to the item boxes. I guess I was expecting a much harder time, and more differences too. All in all it's still RE1. I don't foresee playing RE1 again anytime soon but when I do, it'll be back to my best girl, Jill.
Did you play the regular mode or the one one with DS gimmick puzzles and the first person random knife battles?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Deadly Silence myself. Plays really nicely on the DS and the new DS specific mode was a fun new spin on the game.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been going through Leon B in RE2make on Hardcore mode. It's very good, but I wish the enemy health didn't scale so much - it kind of takes the fun out of saving up ammo. It's also a bit padded out compared to the original, with the stripped B scenarios.

Made me remember how much I missed RE7 - I went through it like four times in a row when it came out and got all the pre--DLC cheevos. Started playing it again on Madhouse tonight and only used the support box and demo prize Old Coin. So fucking good but it still has that negative difficulty curve - the beginning of the game is pretty difficult (also: Jack speedwalking is creepy in the way stop motion monsters or the House on Haunted Hill remake used to scare me as a kid, and provides intense gameplay otherwise). I prefer using regular handgun ammo on Jack and only using shotgun or enhanced ammo on regular molded. Too much of a hassle otherwise. In one sitting, I played all the way up to Lucas, where it begins to really dovetail for me - but it's still awesome. The sound design and environments are just really immersive.

The sequel needs a much larger and more intricate mansion-like area, better enemy hit reactions, and more avenues to upgrade weapons and/or spend resources. I only want to get every item/upgrade in a potential NG+; I'd prefer if I had to make some tough choices in the main campaign. Like, would I rather upgrade my shotgun or handgun? RE4 is so replayable - on top of every other reason - because its progression system is so interesting due to finite resources and every weapon having a clearly defined niche (something RE5 ignored). Not saying you need an item shop, but maybe a finite amount of "upgrade kits." Otherwise, replays can feel kind of like going through the motions. This is an issue with RE2 also. They try with gunpowder and chem fluids - RE7 tries harder with coins and steroids, ect. - but they're less interesting than upgraded weapons or even, in regards to steroids, RE4's herb management.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018
I did the regular mode, I didn't know the difference at the time plus since I've never played Chris, I wanted a more authentic experience. Reading up on what the Rebirth mode is, sounds goofy but fun. Maybe I'll do a Jill run on Rebirth mode

To enjoy Chris you really have to get into the swing of taking less weapons with you and relying on the knife more. As Jill it's pretty Easy as to have keep a pistol + shotgun / RL / Magnum combo on you at all times. Only the caves stands out as an awkward time for Chris due to the awkward item box positioning and needing space for the flame thrower & puzzle objects through much of that section.

Saying that I wish that for, the PS original, Chris' personal item was his knife, rather than the lighter. Do that and drop another 15-20% of pistol and shotgun ammo from across the game and you've got the perfect difficulty upgrade for both Normal and DC's Advanced paths.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
It's still a bit surreal to me that the speedrun record of that port is like 26 minutes, since you can skip door animations.
Not just door animations, but cutscenes too. It's literally the only version that allows you to do both, any other version lets you skip only one or the other (or neither!)

RE DS is by far my favorite version of the original game. I count REmake separately, just to clarify.

Jan 11, 2018
Not just door animations, but cutscenes too. It's literally the only version that allows you to do both, any other version lets you skip only one or the other (or neither!)

RE DS is by far my favorite version of the original game. I count REmake separately, just to clarify.

Same here. The best thing about it is having the map on the second screen though. Really makes me wish they had released RE2 and RE3 for the DS as well.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I loved Deadly Silence myself. Plays really nicely on the DS and the new DS specific mode was a fun new spin on the game.

Didn't care for the extra DS stuff you're referring to, but yeah, having the game on a handheld (with the visual improvements, etc.) was quite nice. I think I played through it several times consecutively when I first got it before taking a break. Still a great game.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Started RE0 yesterday, never played it before, but after RE1/REmake1 finally clicked with me early this year thought I'd finally jump in

Off the bat, only having one knife between 2 characters is a bit of a change (although I haven't used it for either character yet). Played RE1 very frugally (and ended with a stockpile) so not trying to converse ammo as much for the moment

The Shotgun you get early on has got me to change tactics a bit too, previously in RE1 I would load up a shotgun with ammo at a saveroom and store the extra shells, which would be usually enough to keep me going for a while against most enemies, but only having 2 with RE0's hunting shotgun makes this a bit tricker

Looks very nice though, the animated backgrounds are good, but sometimes the actual position you have to be in to interact with objects can be a bit weird though (sometimes it feels like I can't use something at a logical place, and have to move a step or two aside)

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Yay for half-arsed remakes.

How dare you

13FD9322E57950EC31EB4C14E8780F68187A517D

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DMC5 robbed.

Death Stranding is my GOTY but RE2R and DMC5 very much deserve love.

Capcom delivered this year.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half arsed is a bit unfair. I've got my issues with the RE2 remake, I do feel it's a bit overrated and I still prefer original RE2 when all is said and done, but half arsed isn't what I would use to describe it.
I like the game but I don't expect a 20 year old game to have more features and content.

The A/B stuff in the remake is terrible and may not as well exist for all it adds. Then stuff like enemies being absent, Ivys turned into what are basically reskinned zombies, to small things like no Brad zombie. It also really dropped the ball for better possible links to RE3. There is that one set of showers smashed up but the devs probably meant it as a tease for the Tyrant before he appears.

Oct 28, 2017
I like the game but I don't expect a 20 year old game to have more features and content.

The A/B stuff in the remake is terrible and may not as well exist for all it adds. Then stuff like enemies being absent, Ivys turned into what are basically reskinned zombies, to small things like no Brad zombie. It also really dropped the ball for better possible links to RE3. There is that one set of showers smashed up but the devs probably meant it as a tease for the Tyrant before he appears.
I agree with all of this. I liken RE2 Remake to Tomb Raider Anniversary. A good game on its own merits, but drops the ball in a number of ways as a remake.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
My goty is between DS, and RE2. Two stunning games.

Any speculation about the new achievements?

I'm hoping for a randomized mode, or extreme battle.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hey, are those SD Perry books enjoyable reads? I know they aren't canon of course, but I got reminded of them via seeing a couple volumes at Goodwill.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, are those SD Perry books enjoyable reads? I know they aren't canon of course, but I got reminded of them via seeing a couple volumes at Goodwill.
I love them, RE2 and 3's adaptations are probably the best, especially as someone who doesn't like RE3 the game.

CVX is good as well, just a little underwhelming for me, but CVX is my favorite game, so it was a high bar.

Haven't read the ones that tell their own original stories, I need to get them.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I love them, RE2 and 3's adaptations are probably the best, especially as someone who doesn't like RE3 the game.

CVX is good as well, just a little underwhelming for me, but CVX is my favorite game, so it was a high bar.

Haven't read the ones that tell their own original stories, I need to get them.

I might dive in then for some sweet Resident Evil/Horror reading. Sounds like S.D Perry really like Rebecca too heh.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might dive in then for some sweet Resident Evil/Horror reading. Sounds like S.D Perry really like Rebecca too heh.
I don't know if she just has a hard-on for Becca or if, these books being pretty much aimed at young adults, she figured Becca would be the most relatable character so fronted her more than others.

Also it kinda funny watching the author try and course correct her own books canon with that of new games as they released. The second book, not based on any released game was apparently based on a very early idea of what to do with the story after RE1 and when 1.5 was in early stages, so she wrote a story about Becca joining another STARS team (it was a nation wide organisation). Then RE2 proper released and oops.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

I have a vague memory of reading the one based on the first game years and years ago.

I've also been tempted to pick them up recently, after getting through RE2.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The SD Perry books based on the games are still somewhat readable (all have "audiobooks" on Youtube) but they are the definition of B-literature. You kinda need to be young-ish to fully enjoy them, which I was back then. The extended prologue to the first book is about the best part of that canon as she really tried to give life to the then barley characterized universe. They can degrade to FAQ - The book at times though. RE: CV is my favorite one, I think.

My favorite in the series is RE4, immediately followed by REmake. I only need to do my invisible enemies run/trophy to get that Platinum.

Edit: The first book:

Last edited:

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Been listening to that audiobook in the background over the last few days, would've loved reading through those back then (if I ever found them in a shop)

Still going through RE0, just got the water key

Is this a bit harder than similar RE games? Feels like I'm a bit starved for health, got a reasonable stockpile of pistol ammo though, feels like you really need the shotgun for most of the non-zombie enemies though given how quickly they can trap you
Just trying to avoid the wibbly wobbly leech zombies and monkeys though, such a pain to fight

Enjoying it enough so far though

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's the hardest of the fixed camera games yes, leech zombies and the bat boss can really burn through your supplies if you don't know the game that well

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Sounds about right, I'm at a point where I have no healing items in stock (one character fine, the other caution), usually I would have at least 1 or 2 extra this far in

Glad I'm using all the save slots, at least I can roll back if I ever get stuck

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Having no itemboxes makes RE0 harder too imo. You can only carry as many herbs as you have room for, instead of just refilling from the ones you usually store in the box.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Decided to play it safe and let Billy go ahead while I left Rebecca behind in an empty corridor (as she was on critical health)

The sight of the First Aid spray was bittersweet

Oct 30, 2017
The monkeys are rough, there is no elegant way of fighting them without taking damage. The real difficulty of RE0 is when the game splits you up and you don't have them equipped right. It's a trial and error when 1 character is grabbed and the one you can control doesn't have the weapons you need. I love RE0 but I try not to play it