• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The bat boss is smeary poopshitter. Would honestly rather fight one of the awful Simmons transformations from 6 than that thing again.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I knew RE5 went through some changes plot wise from conception to release but I had no idea just how different some parts would have been. Anyone recommend getting "The Art of Resident Evil 5"? Sounds like it'd be well worth picking up for all the concept art etc.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I knew RE5 went through some changes plot wise from conception to release but I had no idea just how different some parts would have been. Anyone recommend getting "The Art of Resident Evil 5"? Sounds like it'd be well worth picking up for all the concept art etc.
Art of RE5 is a fantastic book, leaps and bounds better than the Rev1 and RE6 equivalents.

Despite all it has though there is still a load of RE5 cut/dropped ideas that even it doesn't reveal.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Think I'm near the end of Resident evil 0, and hopefully I'll never have to fight any more apes again. That observatory bridge with 2-3 of them is really rough when hauling equipment from one side of the map to the other

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying RE2, the PS1 game I mean. I feel the knife really sucks in this game :( Maybe CV:X spoil me a lot more I was expecting...

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
What book is this? If it's what it sounds like I'm interested in backing as well

There's also a thread on the Gaming side which is essentially an OT for the book/crowdfunding campaign: https://www.resetera.com/threads/unbound-book-campaign-an-itchy-tasty-history-of-resident-evil-by-alex-aniel-cvxfreak-featuring-new-info-interviews-from-mikami-kamiya-more.147957/

Hope it won't take a million years to get to 100%.

Oct 28, 2017
Right, so in the excitement for RE3 Remake I decided to replay RE3, but this time I decided to do it differently and actually fight Nemesis instead of run at every encounter. I've never fought him outside his mandatory boss fights.

So here I am at the first encounter outside the police station and have a question. Like......why on earth would you put yourself through this?! No item drops can be worth this. I'm getting absolutely wrecked here. I get one shot off and get grabbed, thrown then it's a throw of the dice whether I can get back up before he grabs me off the ground. I've tried timing dodges but can't get it to work consistently. Dude is wrecking me. Running from him makes this game much easier...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with the limited ammo and health drops at the beginning of the game I never quite saw the advantage of fighting Nemesis when he appeared. I assume its because the rewards make the later parts easier to compensate maybe?

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, with the limited ammo and health drops at the beginning of the game I never quite saw the advantage of fighting Nemesis when he appeared. I assume its because the rewards make the later parts easier to compensate maybe?
By the late game you're already a walking tank anyway though. The amount of high powered ammo and abundance of health items is more than enough for the late game without Nemesis drops

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finished Claire A. I did it barely 4 hours, but got Rank C lol Maybe because the remake is more fresh in my mind, but it surprise me how much linear the original game get after got out the police station.

Right now I got hype to play the remake, I'm not sure if I finished Leon second run.

Oct 30, 2017
I am a very thorough player, check every corner, conserve way too much ammo, micromanage inventory, etc. The RE grading system is not kind to this type of play, I'm consistently like E rank despite beating the games relatively unscathed

Now that I'm typing it out, I play RE like a Metroid game!! Gimme dat % complete rather than the letter grading, please

Note: I don't have item locations or puzzles memorized for any of the games so when I replay any games I'm also spending time doing the puzzles semi new

Oct 28, 2017
Oh fuck this bullshit this isn't fun. Not even close. The mechanics are not made for this. Grab throw pick up throw pick up instant kill. You get fucking stun locked constantly and feel completely helpless. Inconsistent dodge mechanic that doesn't work. And when it does there's still a chance you'll dodge straight in to a grab! And even if you dont.....then what? Roll of the dice if you can move away without being grabbed again. It's bullshit especially this early in the game when you don't have any powerful weapons.

RE3 is a great game and Nemesis adds a great thing to the game.....when you run away from him. Actually fighting him? Bullshit. Complete utter bullshit.

The remake will surely be better for this by having controls actually suited to that kind of gameplay.

Update: I finallly killed the fucker outside the police station! Went through all my shotgun ammo, a chunk of my handgun ammo, 3 full heals and a green herb. Christ.

Another update: Hmm, dude was much easier in the second encounter. Nemesis is much easier to deal with when he has his rocket launcher. He's not all up in my face grabbing me constantly.

Last edited:

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Wow, I literally overlooked this RE community thread the whole time.
I love RE and have been looking for a place to talk all about my favourite franchise.

Regarding RE3, I did a playthrough on Gamecube (japanese ver.) and was a little bit disappointed that the japanese version is easier than others, but still had a blast.
The game itself holds up so well! I got some good jump scares from Nemesis and hearing this music when he is close is super tense haha.
It's further remarkable, how diverse the locations are in this game.. you have a
hospital, the rpd section, the clocktower etc.
, all quite small in scope but remarkable for the diversity. i can't wait to see how they will expand Raccoon City in the remake. :)

Edit: marked location spoilers

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Finished RE0 the other day

Liked:
  • The train, especially with the animated backgrounds
  • Having to strategize a bit when deciding to split up characters
  • Dropping items on the ground to do quick swaps without having to go back to a storage box
Disliked:
  • Not having storage boxes at all, managing and transporting a stockpile became a pain
  • New enemies were mostly annoying: fast enemies, small enemies, enemies that gang up on you
  • Setting was a bit weak, aside from the train, game felt like a best of 'existing Resident Evil environments'
  • 2 slot hookshot
Overall was alright, nice to finally check it out as it was the only numbered RE I missed out on entirely for the longest time, doubt I'll revisit it again anytime soon and it really doesn't add much to the overall story, but was nice to play a fresh fixed camera Resi game

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The train is the best part of Resi 0, everything else pales in comparison.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I love the train in 0. Just a really nice area to explore, looks absolutely amazing with those pre rendered BGs as well. My main memories of the post train areas are killer monkeys that are a pain to hit, and 1 hit KO frogs... I really must do a replay of 0 at some point, its been a while. Ditto RE3, though I'm kinda holding out on that one that a remake is gonna happen sooner rather than later.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
RE0, though I loved it during it's initial release, aged very terribly.

Like most people here said: the train is the highlight, though I appreciated the nods to
RE2 later on. I still don't get this.. was the umbrella training facility really that closely connected to the RE2 lab?

RE0 had some interesting ideas but the item management was pure horror here, imo. Both Billy and Rebecca would have benefitted from 2 more inventory spaces. It's my 2nd least favourite "classic" RE

Oct 28, 2017
In the sections where you automatically down Nemesis with the right cutscene choice and get s free item, do you get another item if you kill him when he gets up?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the sections where you automatically down Nemesis with the right cutscene choice and get s free item, do you get another item if you kill him when he gets up?
No. One item per kill, per encounter.

List of drops in order of 'kills' (NOT encounters). If you only ever kill him twice you only get the first two items, no matter where you killed him.

Eagle parts A
Eagle parts B
First Aid Box (holds 3 FA sprays in one slot, comes with 3 FA sprays)
M37 parts A
M37 parts B
First Aid Box (another)
Assault rifle on playthrough 1 / Infinite ammo item for use on any 1 weapon on subsequent playthroughs.

The infinite ammo when used on Mine Thrower drastically changes its use, the mines now lock on and are guided to enemies, they can also pass through each enemy exploding each pass. If you have enough room, a single shot can hit Nemesis, circle about and hit him again, multiple times.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Almost down to the lab in my REmake replay. Probably the first time I've gone all the way through the game again since playing it over and over for the Gamecube. I think it largely holds up, though I desperately miss the QOL changes that RE2 had. The inventory expansions, item management, map marking... it's hard to go back.

Oct 28, 2017
What's up with youtube constantly recommending me videos of RE2 mods with Claire wearing less and less clothing? I've never once clicked on one of these but they keep getting recommended.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
No. One item per kill, per encounter.

To the dismay of 10 year old me I might add. I thought I was so smart to use Carlos to help me Kill Nemesis and get a second item super quickly after the first...

What's up with youtube constantly recommending me videos of RE2 mods with Claire wearing less and less clothing? I've never once clicked on one of these but they keep getting recommended.

dennisalgorithm.gif

Algorithms...

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wonder how the actress feels about some of these mods. Or those for other games.

honestly that's why I find nude / skimpy mods extremely gross these days, most characters are based on real people so it's just an extra kind of wrong. Especially since RE2's are literally scanned in people.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I love the look from the couple of pics shown so far. But I want to see a reveal trailer and of course, gameplay. Thankfully Capcom reveals usually mean its within 12 months of its release date so that means we should have it sooner rather than later. As I was hyped I looked up a few original FMVs from the PSX version for Nemesis' appearances... yeah this remake is gonna be amazing.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I'm so excited, they've nailed everyone so far. I've got no doubt the rest of the characters will look great.

I thought we were never going to get proper remakes for 2, and 3 when the GC ports came out.

Can't get over the fact that I'll get to play the remake of my favorite RE game.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jill will take some getting used, but i think it's a good design. Dunno about Nemesis' nose tho.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Love the redesign for Jill and Carlos. Getting Natalie Portman vibes from Jill's model at that angle. Perfect fit after Portman's performance in Annihilation.

Nemesis.. ehh. Those teeth, lol.

Can't wait for the official announcement to see what we're in for.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Love the redesign for Jill and Carlos. Getting Natalie Portman vibes from Jill's model at that angle. Perfect fit after Portman's performance in Annihilation.

Nemesis.. ehh. Those teeth, lol.

Can't wait for the official announcement to see what we're in for.
Yeah, lots of people picked up on it in the cover thread. Looks a lot like her.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I mean it's clear that Capcom do know how to make good redesigns as seen with Leon, Claire, Jill and Carlos.

But with Chris in RE7, what the fuck happened. :(

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I mean it's clear that Capcom do know how to make good redesigns as seen with Leon, Claire, Jill and Carlos.

I guess one excuse is that he's 20 years older in 2017 compared to 1998, but I think they started taking the redesigns seriously after the Chris backlash.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That Chris model is just an all-around disaster. You know you fucked up when people are asking if it's a clone, an impostor, a liar, or HUNK. Completely ruined what could've been an awesome cameo at the end of the game.

Ada and Marvin too. Just about everyone except Chris.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Chris model is just an all-around disaster. You know you fucked up when people are asking if it's a clone, an impostor, a liar, or HUNK. Completely ruined what could've been an awesome cameo at the end of the game.

Ada and Marvin too. Just about everyone except Chris.
Eh, if the Claire model was shown outside of a RE2 setting initially I doubt many would have identified her as Claire. Same with Jill and Carlos. Leon's hair is his give away and Ada is Asian so easy guess there.

Now we know Capcom are throwing the original looks in the bin people are expecting changes. Chris was first though so people were not expecting it.

It also didn't help he was suddenly working for Umbrella and not the BSAA with no explanation. And hero Chris with a DLC coming called "Not a Hero". Was more than just his looks that put doubt in players minds.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Resident Evil 3 remake looks pretty damn good.

Resident Evil 3 remake and then TLOU2.

What a great one two punch next year.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
It looks like everything I ever wanted from a RE3 remake. Really exciting times ahead.

I'll be doing a marathon leading up to the release. Plenty of time to go through them casually.

Also, is Capcom done releasing soundtrack in physical formats? 😔