• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
RE3 looks fantastic, hoping this one manages to be as awesome as their last few releases, Capcom is certainly on a roll. Coming sooner than expected as well, which is nice!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the early months in 2020 are nuts for me, because I got two Yakuza games in the first two months (7 in Japan for January, 5 in English for Feb), then Doom, FFVII and Nioh 2 for March with RE3 soon after. And that's just counting the games I'm immediately interested in, because March is stacked with all sorts of huge releases.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I've been playing RE2 remake over the last couple of weeks on and off with a friend. Last monday we picked up where we left during the last session,
after clearing the west area of the lab. I never played the original, so had no idea the east area would be so small, lol. Was kinda expecting a whole lotta more.. lab :). Boss fights afterwards with Birkin and Mr X where nice tho.
. On to Claire's B scenario!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I still have one replay of REmake 2 left myself (plus a few Ghost survivors). I really should get to that now 3 has been announced... so hyped for REmake 3 next year!

Oct 28, 2017
People will always bitch.

Was the same with RE2 remake.
Nah all my bitching for RE2 Remake was saved for after I played the game. Its debut trailer gave me nothing but things to be positive about. RE3's debut trailer gave me things to bitch about. But hey maybe it'll be opposite and I'll have less things to bitch about in the full game. Positive thoughts.

Deleted member 59

Started The Evil Within last week because i had a survival horror itch, and it just made me want to play Resident Evil instead!!

Bought RE Origins collection last night for £8 on PSN and dove straight into RE 0. I had this on the Gamecube but remember giving up when i realised I'd left the hookshot over half the map away and had barely any health/ammo and had to get past some of the monkeys or hunters (can't remember) to retrieve said item.

Enjoying it a lot so far. Played up to the clock puzzle this morning. Visually the game still looks great and no game series for me matches the atmosphere of these early Resident Evil titles.

I really forgot how tense they were too. Like, i love 7 and RE2R but juggling ink ribbons, ammo and health in this is a different ball game altogether. Weighing up whether to waste 3 bullets knocking a zombie over or rushing in, taking a bite bit pushing it over. Thinking "do i save now or try to push on a bit more to conserve ribbons" etc.

Hopefully i finish the game this time!

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
All this Nemesis news is making me want to play ORC. Crazy right lol.
I've had the DLC campaign for years but never played it, heard it was way better than the main game.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've somehow managed to avoid a lot of the hype surrounding RE2 Remake, holding out for a potential "gold" edition. I even ignored the one shot demo earlier this year. I guess I'm not waiting long anymore. It's under the tree now, waiting for the 25th.

The hype surrounding the remake of the third game and the new, timer free demo from earlier this week convinced me, "fuck it, I'm going to give this a shot."

Fuck me for sleeping on this amazing game. This is some video game witch craft here. Playing through RPD perfectly recaptured how I felt back in the late 90s when I played the original RE2 demo that was packed in with the RE director's cut. I was a massive fan of the original RE2 back then and I've played it several times through the years, and the remake is just phenomenal. The atmosphere is so good, but the movement and over the shoulder gameplay is expertly done. I gave me that old speed run, low powered runs feeling.

I might pull the goddamned thing out from under the tree and unwrap it today.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is the gold/directors cut rumor about RE2 credible? I saw it mentioned several times in the game awards threads but I've not heard anything about it being a real thing (and it seems weird to release it when 3 is coming so soon).

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody have any perspective on the RE2 remake for a newcomer?

I'm interested in checking it out now that it's on sale but the only resi game I played was 5 and it was enjoyable as my first exposure to the series because it wasn't scary at all and it was more action focus and was more shooty-bang bang

but with this going back to its roots, it seems a lot more slower paced, more methodical in terms of resource management (both adding to the overall scares and horror), copious puzzles, Mr. X potentially always being on your ass.

Even with that massive shift in design can it still be fun for a casual who's only reference is resi 5 or is it really a thing of needing to know what your getting into to truly enjoy it?

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is the gold/directors cut rumor about RE2 credible? I saw it mentioned several times in the game awards threads but I've not heard anything about it being a real thing (and it seems weird to release it when 3 is coming so soon).
Who knows? I was just making an assumption based on previous REs. I've made it a habit to wait around ever since the content crammed RE5 Gold last gen.

Though with the popularity of RE2 Remake and the recently released sales figures, I think it's likely that we'll see a gold edition.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this Nemesis news is making me want to play ORC. Crazy right lol.
I've had the DLC campaign for years but never played it, heard it was way better than the main game.
It is, it has a good amount of variety not seen in the main campaign. One level for instance has you in pitch black with only flares to throw, then zombies attack and the lack of visibility makes a really great tense fight, often just seeing outlines or such running past the light source.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, if it was coming, I believe it would've been announced by now. The "leak", as far as I know, was just some random person posting on 4chan with no credibility. Pure fanfiction, sadly.

Worth nothing that there's been no DLC for RE2 outside of a free update (The Ghost Survivors), so there wouldn't really be a reason to release a Gold Edition, anyway. With RE5 and RE7, the games had enough paid DLC to warrant a re-release.
Anybody have any perspective on the RE2 remake for a newcomer?

I'm interested in checking it out now that it's on sale but the only resi game I played was 5 and it was enjoyable as my first exposure to the series because it wasn't scary at all and it was more action focus and was more shooty-bang bang

but with this going back to its roots, it seems a lot more slower paced, more methodical in terms of resource management (both adding to the overall scares and horror), copious puzzles, Mr. X potentially always being on your ass.

Even with that massive shift in design can it still be fun for a casual who's only reference is resi 5 or is it really a thing of needing to know what your getting into to truly enjoy it?

You can still enjoy it as a relative newcomer to the series, it's actually the best entry point to the horror side of RE. It is, as you say, more methodical and slower paced than RE5, however. As long as you know what to expect (a horror title with an emphasis on exploration, puzzles, and resource management) and don't view it as an action shooter on the level of RE5, you should have fun with it. It's worth picking up and seeing if it clicks with you, because if it does, it's a very memorable experience.

And without giving too much away, I'll just say that Mr. X's presence is generally overstated. He's a notable and effective part of the game, but isn't following you constantly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if it was coming, I believe it would've been announced by now. The "leak", as far as I know, was just some random person posting on 4chan with no credibility. Pure fanfiction, sadly.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Just saw many people sad/sure it was going to show up. I'll chalk that one up to Era getting overhyped over nothing real yet again, as I hadn't seen anything actually credible suggesting stuff like improved B routes, new/readded enemies etc. were actually going to happen.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's what I thought. Just saw many people sad/sure it was going to show up. I'll chalk that one up to Era getting overhyped over nothing real yet again, as I hadn't seen anything actually credible suggesting stuff like improved B routes, new/readded enemies etc. were actually going to happen.
That stuff, plus the addition of fixed camera and first-person perspectives, would warrant an entire $60 re-release, and this random 4chan post was implying it would be a free update. If this ever were to happen, I believe they'd do it as an excuse to sell the game again on PS5 and such.
I gotta update the OT
If you need any assistance with asset creation, let me know. Helped SoS with the Yakuza Community OP, wouldn't mind doing something for RE.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Can someone explain what happened to the original Resident Evil Revelations?

Trailer released, showing Jill being voiced by the same voice actress since Remake, a clone of Chris, and ZOMBIES instead of those gooey monsters.

But then Cpacom decided to remove the zombies, change Jill's voice actress, and rewrite the plot.

Why?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Trailer released, showing Jill being voiced by the same voice actress since Remake, a clone of Chris, and ZOMBIES instead of those gooey monsters.
It was actually a different actress in REmake (Heidi Anderson), but Patricia Ja Lee did voice Jill in The Umbrella Chronicles.

As far as the story, I don't know, but a Chris clone sounds... dumb, so I'm glad they didn't go in that direction. Would've been silly with RE6 releasing later that same year, featuring an Ada clone.

Oct 27, 2017
You can still enjoy it as a relative newcomer to the series, it's actually the best entry point to the horror side of RE. It is, as you say, more methodical and slower paced than RE5, however. As long as you know what to expect (a horror title with an emphasis on exploration, puzzles, and resource management) and don't view it as an action shooter on the level of RE5, you should have fun with it. It's worth picking up and seeing if it clicks with you, because if it does, it's a very memorable experience.

And without giving too much away, I'll just say that Mr. X's presence is generally overstated. He's a notable and effective part of the game, but isn't following you constantly.
Awesome. Thanks. I'll give it a shot

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is, it has a good amount of variety not seen in the main campaign. One level for instance has you in pitch black with only flares to throw, then zombies attack and the lack of visibility makes a really great tense fight, often just seeing outlines or such running past the light source.

ooooo.

People are still playing online! PS3 no less!

that's rather wild. The main campaign isn't great and can be utterly forgetful but it's still fun.

I remember when people thought that was gonna be HUNK, lol.

oh I was gonna bring this up lol. Revelations changed quite a bit from that trailer, but we thought HUNK would get injected into a main game storyline finally.

I think I actually didn't realise HUNK wasn't in it when I played it, bc I went on a media blackout after the first trailer.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ooooo.

People are still playing online! PS3 no less!

that's rather wild. The main campaign isn't great and can be utterly forgetful but it's still fun.

Campaign? I'm surprised. I know the MP has some dedicated players but it full of cheaters.

There is one really bad moment though, a section in a street vs turrets. Unless you're playing with other players or playing the stealth character you can't pass them. The AI doesn't distract them for you to run behind the turrets and deactivate, it just dies, it won't focus damage on them, so you either cloak and run behind or you're screwed, no other ability let's you live long enough. I think it is mission 6.

Deleted member 59

I've just encounterer the monkeys for the first time in this play through of RE 0. I'm going to regret wasting these shells/grenades :(

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is officially the canon ending to RE3? Nicolai dead or not?
Unknown.

There is a file in Survivor that suggests he survived, though in the Japanese version his name is removed.

As far as I can recall, the events of RE3 have not been expanded upon in a way to signify which choices or events happened. Exception is Barry flying the chopper, which means Nicholai didn't die from Nemesis and instead took the original escape chopper. If Jill killed him in a chopper fight or not is unknown.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Zero in 3:01 on normal. The more I play it, the more I like this entry. 😋

Just played this as well. Only the second in the series I've played after finishing REmake earlier this year. Thought it was pretty fun for the most part despite some frustrations. It was similar enough to REmake so I felt comfortable with it. I kinda liked the partner system. It made me feel safer, so needless to say I hated the forced solo Rebecca parts without big, strong Billy at my side to protect me lol. Inventory management was more hateful in some ways than in REmake, but at least I had two people to carry shit.

Thought the plot was pretty hilarious, especially the leech-singing anime villain. I mean I enjoyed the cheese but I am curious why it feels like it was written by a 10 year old. Gotta say, I never would've guessed that the seemingly useless little cowgirl I met in REmake had been through all this.
I can only assume Rebecca's special herb mixing powers saved her from getting the T virus or zombie rabies since I'm pretty sure I saw her get mauled by infected monkeys multiple times in cutscenes. I like how Billy kept his handcuffs on the entire game and just randomly decided to toss them at the end. I was pretty surprised he didn't end up dead. Borderline mullet aside though he's a good guy and ain't bad to look at so I'm glad he survived. He's kind of an asshole for leaving Rebecca to tackle another spooky mansion by herself but I'm sure he had something important to do like roam the zombie infested woods alone.
I think I'll play RE4 next at some point. I feel like I've heard many claims about it being one of the best games ever made so I have rather high expectations lol. Eventually I plan on getting around to RE2 remake but I figured it'd be better to play the older games first.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Soon

D94456711104BAE0881A29C50F00D73FBA429FFE

mhi

Jun 11, 2018
Have they announced a Deluxe edition yet for Re3make yet? Looking specifically for the classic soundtrack and the steel book (which was available at Best Buy for RE2!)

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I'm looking to get OG Resident Evil 3 on PC so I can play through it before R3make. I want a legit physical copy of the PC version, so no emulation and no piracy. I see there's a couple PC releases of the game and I'm wondering which version is best?

Jun 18, 2018
Hey guys, I'm looking to get OG Resident Evil 3 on PC so I can play through it before R3make. I want a legit physical copy of the PC version, so no emulation and no piracy. I see there's a couple PC releases of the game and I'm wondering which version is best?

The Sourcenext port of 3 is generally considered to be the best. But I have no idea how you purchase it.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sourcenext, but it super rare and going for £100+. After that probably an xplosiv copy but you're gonna have issues running it.

Emulation really is the far easiest, cheapest choice, even using legit bought copies.

Oct 25, 2017
That Rev2 Claire concept art has had me wanting a certain costume in REmake 2 and since it didn't happen RE3 now
latest

after you beat the story, with the costume key go to the STARS office and you can unlock
latest

for Jill to wear that allows her to take more damage, or heck go crazy and give guns an accuracy boost as well(Chris being the team marksmans)

Hell go crazy
Rebecca Uniform - more healing items and effectiveness
Barry Uniform - more specialty ammo, maybe a damage buff
Wesker Uniform - melee attacks and super dash
Jill Uniform - more damage, more explosive ammo, master lockpick
Brad Uniform - faster running and movement