• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want to be that guy, but there's this constant speculation of another Nintendo Direct.

A reddit thread here specifically points at January 22. Pure conjecture though.
Yeah I'd say this is a coincidence considering RE2 is a 20 year old game and Nintendo Direct was decided months ago, not even on the same day as RE2. Also didn't they just do a Switch collection of Revelations 1 + 2?

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the climax of the finale.

Throughout the game, Leon is building up his skill to perform a perfect suplex and he finally does it at the end.

How does one suplex this beautiful monstrosity?:

1497759-800px_williambirkinstage5.jpg

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they drop us in the police station with low ammo and enemies not around every corner, focused on exploring and puzzle solving, that is the atmosphere of the PS1 games.
Have you played Resident Evil 2?

Edit: this was asked sincerely, not snarkily. I apologise if that did not come across.

Last edited:

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally, RE2 first released the day I was born. And now, 20 years on, we may finally get an official reveal of the remake? Hell, yes, I'm so ready!

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
k, I think we're done here now that you've moved onto childish snark.
I was asking sincerely. I apologise if it came across as snarky. There's a lot more that goes in to atmosphere-building than the things you mentioned, and fixed camera angles are a massive part of that.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that the RE2R reveal is not close otherwise they would have done it at PSX or PGW. Now I think they'll just wait for E3. But I hope I'm wrong and we get it sooner, maybe at the anniversary.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Until Dawn showed you can do modern analogue controls with fixed cameras, that game handled fine and if RE2 wss like this it would be totally fine.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I feel that the RE2R reveal is not close otherwise they would have done it at PSX or PGW. Now I think they'll just wait for E3. But I hope I'm wrong and we get it sooner, maybe at the anniversary.
They should go with a teaser trailer for now and later a full one with a release date within the year

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I was asking sincerely. I apologise if it came across as snarky. There's a lot more that goes in to atmosphere-building than the things you mentioned, and fixed camera angles are a massive part of that.

I got the general gist of what he meant, though I understand you're speaking more specifically. In the end they just mean that there was never a serious effort by Capcom to make a behind-the-shoulder Resident Evil game with a horror focus, Revelations 2 was the closest but even that had survival elements like the modern survival games and the horror was a bit selective. Capcom never really tried fully to make a behind-the-shoulder actual survival-horror attempt.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
k, I think we're done here now that you've moved onto childish snark.

But he's right.
The very first thing you see in the game (the beginning of the A scenario) is a street full of zombies, and on your way to the RPD you pass (and can kill) dozens of them. You get your shotgun (or bowgun) 5 minutes into the game and there is plenty of ammo in RPD and you have to be really, really careless to run out of ammo.

RE2 is a very action-oriented game (and lets not even talk about RE3).

Neiteio, in his LTTP RE2 thread back on NeoGAF almost two years ago (he played the game for the first time in 2016), said this:
1) Punchy arcade quality: Man, this game has zip! The characters move with a nimbleness that just wasn't there in REmake or Zero. Despite the lack of a 180-degree quick turn, you can skirt around enemies with relative ease.

Better yet, the game gives you abundant ammo so you can stand your ground and shoot every enemy you meet. By the end of each scenario, I had killed nearly every enemy in the game, with plenty of ammo to spare. Shooting enemies is super-satisfying, too. There's great feedback, with the pixelated bits of flesh and blood scattering everywhere, or fire enveloping zombies, or legs exploding into meaty chunks, leaving upper torsos to crawl after you. To my surprise, this feels like an action title not far removed from modern-day RE titles.

The game also gives you an abundance of herbs/first aid kits, and ink ribbons to save your game. I beat the game with a surplus of each.

https://www./threads/lttp-resident-evil-2.1194355/

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until Dawn showed you can do modern analogue controls with fixed cameras, that game handled fine and if RE2 wss like this it would be totally fine.
People conveniently forget about adventure games when it comes to fixed cameras, yes it's a good point to bring up Until Dawn because that's one of the best examples of a modern horror game with classic controls done right. We can also mention David Cage's games did it right also, and there're some indie 3D games that still do fixed cameras + "tank" controls to this very day including games like Syberia 3, Telltale games and more.

Fixed camera and tank controls are viable in 2018 so there is no reason why it's something to write off, imo.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Here's how you do analog controls with fixed camera angles while retaining the gameplay of RE:

- You move with the analog stick, in directions that feel natural
- You can lock onto enemies before shooting
- Locking onto an enemy keeps you facing them, Zelda-style
-This way you can back away from an enemy while continuing to shoot

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I mean, for it to be faithful, it's factually incorrect to say it has to be fixed camera angles. You might personally not want anything else but it can absolutely and unquestionably be faithful to the original if it's not fixed camera angles.

All I'm saying is that you'll want to get your expectations in check. Because there is almost zero chance that they're going to reveal REmake 2 with fixed camera angles. They haven't spent two and a half years since the announcement of this game simply putting a fresh coat of paint over the original.
It absolutely is correct and fair to say a different perspective means it's an unfaithful remake. That means that literally everything, from combat to controls to mechanics to design... It all has to change. It's more of a loose reimagining of RE2 than anything at that point.

Also, no one is saying they want "RE2 with a new coat of paint". A lot of people want a REmake in same style as, well, REmake. That game was a perfect mix of old and new. It added new environments, enemies, puzzles, and even mechanics (like Crimson Heads) whilst staying true to the style and core design of the original game. People want that, but for RE2. A fixed camera based game, with lots of new additions, albeit built around the core design and structure of RE2.

To be fair, they also didn't really try to. RE4 was still heavily an action-oriented game.

If they drop us in the police station with low ammo and enemies not around every corner, focused on exploring and puzzle solving, that is the atmosphere of the PS1 games.

They never really tried to do that in third person, even with RE4. (I haven't played Rev 2 yet.)
C'mon now... that wouldn't even come close to replicating the atmosphere of the original game, much of which was built and predicated with fixed camera angles. Take the first Licker encounter, as an example. You enter a bloody hallway lines with bodies, and have seen something crawling on the window outside. You move down the hallway, with the camera facing your character, and then you see it! It's a Licker, and it jumps down to the floor with the camera finally shifting to reveal it! The Horror! D:

That's what fixed camera angles are capable of providing for a Horror game, and what no other perspective can provide. Additionally, RE2's environments, when viewed from an over the shoulder perspective, would appear much smaller and less intimidating due the camera's proximity to the player. It just wouldn't be the same, and much of the original game's atmosphere would be lost.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
RE2, for me, is one of the least scary REs. It's more of an arcadey action title. They practically shower you with ink ribbons and ammo, even on the highest difficulty. But that's OK, I don't need RE to be scary, it just needs to be creepy and fun. The game has an empowering feel to it.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely is correct and fair to say a different perspective means it's an unfaithful remake. That means that literally everything, from combat to controls to mechanics to design... It all has to change. It's more of a loose reimagining of RE2 than anything at that point.

Also, no one is saying they want "RE2 with a new coat of paint". A lot of people want a REmake in same style as, well, REmake. That game was a perfect mix of old and new. It added new environments, enemies, puzzles, and even mechanics (like Crimson Heads) whilst staying true to the style and core design of the original game. People want that, but for RE2. A fixed camera based game, with lots of new additions, albeit built around the core design and structure of RE2.

C'mon now... that wouldn't even come close to replicating the atmosphere of the original game, much of which was built and predicated with fixed camera angles. Take the first Licker encounter, as an example. You enter a bloody hallway lines with bodies, and have seen something crawling on the window outside. You move down the hallway, with the camera facing your character, and then you see it! It's a Licker, and it jumps down to the floor with the camera finally shifting to reveal it! The Horror! D:

That's what fixed camera angles are capable of providing for a Horror game, and what no other perspective can provide. Additionally, RE2's environments, when viewed from an over the shoulder perspective, would appear much smaller and less intimidating due the camera's proximity to the player. It just wouldn't be the same, and much of the original game's atmosphere would be lost.
This is how I feel about it too. Great post.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Here's how you do analog controls with fixed camera angles while retaining the gameplay of RE:

- You move with the analog stick, in directions that feel natural
- You can lock onto enemies before shooting
- Locking onto an enemy keeps you facing them, Zelda-style
-This way you can back away from an enemy while continuing to shoot
This! It wouldn't hurt to at least have Tank Controls as an option as well tho, or perhaps to map them to the D-pad like the recent RE REmasters. Also, have dynamic scrolling camera angles like CVX. That way, the camera can follow the player for a bit, and there's less need for constant camera transitions, which are what lead to the disorientation of analog controls (ala REmake HD and RE0 HD) in a fixed perspective. This allows the developers to maintain a fixed, cinematic perspective that can obscure things from the player's view, without impacting control quite as much.

For the record, I'm OK with at least providing more control options for new players. I simply think changing the perspective is a bridge too far.

Last edited:

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
If Capcom announces DMCV & REmake2 in the same year along with releasing MM11 & MHW, they win 2018 by default.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The divisions are different. Plus a game reveal I don't think would impact sales. "I'm not buying MH because a game got announced that I can't play for months" doesn't seem likely lol.

Guess you can argue it'll take some spotlight off of it. But I think at this point. You're basically locked in with what your day one numbers will be.
Unless they add something like "Buy MHW and get the RE2 demo"

It's indeed a matter of spotlight.

It's their most important launch in years and they really can't afford to fuck it up,i presume every Capcom official channel will be busy trying to get last minute buyers on board and make people talk and be excited about MH. A massive announcemente like REmake 2 would inevitably steal the spotlight,and i'm sure they don't want that.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No, that's not a remake. A completely different game entirely. A remake in my eyes is something that takes the original source material and adapts it to the standards of modern technology, perhaps with some minor changes or additions. Turning RE2 into a TPS isn't a remake.

Not trying to be an ass here but it doesn't matter what it is in "your eyes." If RE2 contains the same story and characters and setting but in a third person view, it is factually a remake.

It's not what you wanted. That's the difference. But it's still, unarguably, a remake.

By that logic, FFVII Remake isn't actually a remake since the battle system is completely different and not even turn-based anymore. But it is, factually, a remake.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Not trying to be an ass here but it doesn't matter what it is in "your eyes." If RE2 contains the same story and characters and setting but in a third person view, it is factually a remake.

It's not what you wanted. That's the difference. But it's still, unarguably, a remake.

By that logic, FFVII Remake isn't actually a remake since the battle system is completely different and not even turn-based anymore. But it is, factually, a remake.
Personally, I don't consider FF7 a remake either. It's a complete reimagining of that game. So, by your logic, if Sony instead chose to remake, let's say, Shadow of the Collosus as an FPS and turned the Collosi into giant Sackboys from LittleBigPlanet, you'd still consider that a remake? Anything goes, and it can still be considered a remake as long as it has "Shadow of the Collosus" on the box?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Personally, I don't consider FF7 a remake either.

It doesn't matter if you don't "consider" it a remake. It is.

I can say that I don't consider the white stuff outside of my house right now to be snow. But I would be wrong. :P

It is a remake.

So, by your logic, if Sony instead chose to remake, let's say, Shadow of the Collosus as an FPS and turned the Collosi into giant Sackboys from LittleBigPlanet, you'd still consider that a remake?

I like that you had to put in this ridiculous part in order to try and make your point because you knew that by simply leaving it as "if they made it an FPS," that would be a remake.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've always rooted for a mega man legacy style collection of re 1-3.
I've wanted that for a long time as well. In fact, it's probably my most wanted remaster/collection of anything, period. After all, REmake is still a fairly different game from the original, and as much as I don't want this to be the case, there is the possibility that REmake 2 is drastically different from the original game, potentially far more so than REmake was from RE1. I would personally love to see the original games preserved and made available again for modern hardware.

Sadly, I don't think it's gonna happen. Caocom, and most other companies in the industry, seem to believe something like a remaster/collection of PS1 games wouldn't sell, and would simply look too dated for a modern audience. Even if Capcom is port-happy at the moment, and even if we would but the games, I don't Calvin would ever give these games the remaster/port treatment. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think it's ever gonna happen. :(

Oct 27, 2017
RE2, for me, is one of the least scary REs. It's more of an arcadey action title. They practically shower you with ink ribbons and ammo, even on the highest difficulty. But that's OK, I don't need RE to be scary, it just needs to be creepy and fun. The game has an empowering feel to it.
I do agree somewhat. In film or movie terms it would be an 'action-thriller' more than an outright horror. I think that's why RE2 has almost always been a more appealing game than the original game. I think the risk of moving to third person ots is a loss of that feeling of suspense and anxiety about what the next enemy is gonna be and where it is gonna come from. If they can retain a level of suprise still (like the enemies coming through the door, smashing through the wall) then it won't be a problem though even if I'd prefer fixed camera like Until Dawn. I really want Nemesis as well though, I think that would help somewhat with the aforementioned suspense and anxiety of enemy arrangements and suprise.