• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Outbreak3_2.jpg

I wanted to bring up some of my personal favorite titles out of the series and give the recognition to some of the best experiences I feel innovated on the online console gaming scene and was ahead of its time.

When online play was still in its early days on the console scene with the 6th generation, Capcom decided to make use of the PS2 online play and develop two titles with Resident Evil Outbreak. This game brought online play in the survival horror genre and brought one of the most tense and atmospheric online experiences that I feel is such a shame that not many people had got the opportunity to witness during its time.

giphy.gif

Both titles had different scenarios where you and a few other friends selected a character to play (each with unique abilities that helped compliment each other) and then you all decided upon scenario, difficulty level, and a character. The difficulty level is tied to what enemies and items the player encounters as they progress through the scenario. The game has five scenarios, each of which has an event checklist consisting of special actions that the player must perform to reach 100% completion. You was also infected and had to try and achieve under a certain time before the infection reaches 100% or by character death. The crazy side is when you died you would come back as a Zombie and had the option to try and kill your team mates. Although generally in amusing matches you had your friend protecting you as an undead blocking the zombies and other BOWs coming along or just hanging

471176-10_super.jpg

There was so much stuff added into the game with multiple endings and pathways on certain scenarios that really added to the tensity and experience of each scenario. One such example was the forest scenario where after an X period of time a wooden bridge would collapse when a player walks over and separating from his three other friends. Here the three others would travel through the whole forest scenario (with an entirely different story and experiences) and the other isolated friend would traverse into a abandoned infected small hospital that lurks a deadly humanoid villain wielding an axe trying to kill you at any opportune moment in Nemesis fashion. This such scenario was only given online because of how certain triggers worked based upon actions of the player.

To top that off for replay value there was so much extra content added for the player; numerous skins, weapons, unique rules such as ammo and HP, infection rate and much more it really helped extend the life of the online scene.

And dear god was this game hard on places with the whole works with white knuckles and screaming in panic and anguish on the higher difficulties. You really felt the desperation between you and your comrades when trying to work and communicate with scarce voice commands and having everything turning against you as such vulnerable civilians in this world.

resident_evil_outbreak_by_hakusekirei-d4pp349.jpg

I really hope Capcom will bring these onto the modern online scene and allow people the opportunity to experience what these titles were like back in the day before the 7th gen come along and how online become so much simple and accessible than how it was prior.

hqdefault.jpg

Special Note to the music in particular for having some incredible tracks that still rank near the top of this amazing and diverse series! Respect here goes to, Akihiko Matsumoto, the well known and beloved, Tetsuya Shibata, and Etsuko Yoneda

<3

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread.

This really was an amazing game. The way you could like push back against doors while the zombies try to break in on you was intense. I remember that first bar level fondly, running upstairs and getting filled with dread as the few others I was playing with online were getting picked off one by one.

We need a new Outbreak. A survival horror coop game instead of horror-action like RE5 and 6.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread.

This really was an amazing game. The way you could like push back against doors while the zombies try to break in on you was intense. I remember that first bar level fondly, running upstairs and getting filled with dread as the few others I was playing with online were getting picked off one by one.

We need a new Outbreak. A survival horror coop game instead of horror-action like RE5 and 6.

I would love for Outbreak to come back. There was still a lot of content not included on both games they were working on and a fair part of the assets were on the disk. Some involved Hunk and his unit.

So much potential that may never get the chance to see :(

Deleted member 932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never played them since I didn't have an internet connection at the time, but I've always thought that the characters' design was impeccable. I wished more Japanese titles were this restrained.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I either need to do the fan servers to play online with some friends soon (before they shut down or something. ;__; ) or I need to hope Capcom does an HD port of the games. It's one of the last Resident Evil games I haven't played too much of since I want to play it online with friends.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
There is an outbreak clone on steam I need to try.

Outbreak was absolutely incredible and I don't think it will ever be replicated outside a nostalgic indie remake. Those levels were so full of secrets and multiple situations based on weird requirements, it had this level of mystery to it that games don't have now. And it was hard as hell. Amazing games.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure if they made a new one, it'd be a GaaS with loot boxes haha.

"Don't feel like speedrunning the game to get the RPG? For the low price of $9.99, it can be yours today!"

Hopefully I didn't just give Capcom any ideas...

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG

Outbreak was absolutely incredible and I don't think it will ever be replicated outside a nostalgic indie remake. Those levels were so full of secrets and multiple situations based on weird requirements, it had this level of mystery to it that games don't have now. And it was hard as hell. Amazing games.
Do you remember its name?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Do you remember its name?

It's Outbreak: The New Nightmare on Steam.

The game is in Early Access, but updates pretty regularly and the developer is a good dude (he was a member of the the previous community, I hope he comes to ResetEra).

Here's a trailer for where it's currently at (though much work still being done):

I might make a separate thread for it because it's really been coming along over the last few months (it only released a few months ago), and it likely will be on sale shortly since the Halloween Sale on Steam starts in a few hours.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

The game is in Early Access, but updates pretty regularly and the developer is a good dude (he was a member of the the previous community, I hope he comes to ResetEra).

Here's a trailer for where it's currently at (though much work still being done):

I do like they are trying to replicate what those games did but those animations surely need a lot of work. I am getting Syphon Filter vibes all over again!

My man! That's what I loved about them and how you they created this sense of dread with the unknown and being unpredictable with every match because of how the scenarios were designed on progress that involved different switches and triggers that all revolved with the group.

You never knew who you would join up with and how their play styles were. The unknown and trusting of strangers really added on the tensity and how this game was sculptured partially on this really made it different than most other multiplayer/cooperative games.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I do like they are trying to replicate what those games did but those animations surely need a lot of work. I am getting Syphon Filter vibes all over again!

Animations are one of the things they plan to change, right now they're more focused on content and functions but updating all the animations are on their check-list.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the best way to play it is through emulation?

Yes/No, though the 'best' way to play it is a bit complicated. There's unofficial fan servers that people are running you can either play through a modified PS2 or through emulation, they take some elbow grease to get working but they are still online and active as of the time of this posting. Can find the information for that and community here: http://obsrv.org

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome eulogy OP, isn't that Outbreak: The New Nightmare on Switch too?
I'd love to see a shock release trailer at PSX...

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Still amazed capcom hasn't tried to bring it back. Especially after the community has gotten it back up in some creative ways and the success of REmake & 0 HD. But regardless it really was ahead of its time OP. Really makes it shine today.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Still amazed capcom hasn't tried to bring it back. Especially after the community has gotten it back up in some creative ways and the success of REmake & 0 HD. But regardless it really was ahead of its time OP. Really makes it shine today.

I am hoping it's easy to port/bring over or if the online/source code is a potential issue with bringing it over. If it's the latter I'll be gutted.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
These games were awesome. Got me into Resident Evil back then. Really fun game that was frustrating as all hell sometimes.

It brought out a great community around it. A guy on the IGN forums way back when wrote a really great fan-fiction connecting all of the scenarios that was really well crafted and includes some extra stuff from the cut content.

Really wish Capcom would bring it back, but I really doubt it. Which is a bummer.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
There was a period where some friends and I would play MP games on PS2, and both Outbreaks were among them. I absolutely loved them, and I think that they could easily make a return with how focused on MP a lot of games are. Hell, it could have done better than the last Umbrella Corps game.

Alt183

Oct 25, 2017
The Outbreak series was too ambitious for its own good. I remember logging in was a pain, and would have benefited from launching a generation later. So many logged in hours though. Fun levels with a ton of variety. Lot of little things to do, especially when they were character specific. A good variety of different playstyles with characters too! Cindy was my go-to. She carried extra herbs for mixing, and the devs gave her a generous amount of invincibility on her ducking action. Taking on bosses solo wasn't a problem because of it.

I would absolutely pick up remasters if given the chance. Doubt Capcom cares or even remembers at this point.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I never got to play these. I'd love to get together with an Era group and play through them. Any interest?

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'd LOVE for Capcom to revisit the Outbreak series, but with current Capcom, I feel like it'll never happen :(

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watched 30 seconds of OUTBREAK New Nightmare. It was all I needed. I'll give it a look-see on steam. Thanks, Dusk Golem!

I loved Outbreak but when I had it, I never hooked up the PS2 to play it online. So it was always a single player show for me.

It was great and it's a damn shame Capcom doesn't revive it with either Outbreak 3 or even just a remaster of 1 and 2.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Outbreak File #2 was the first online game I ever played. I had so much fun with it. It's a shame I never got to play File #1 online until a couple of years ago because I preferred some of the scenarios on that one.

I wish Capcom would've brought out File #3/4. It's a shame they stopped, if only they didn't release the game in waves, we might've got the full game. I feel like Capcom should really consider bringing the series back with the common features of today's consoles such as voice chat, parties, etc. Heck even proximity voice chat would be super cool.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still one of my most anticipated remasters. Come on, Capcom... let this series shine with modern features.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Game was fun. Never beat it though, or played the second one :(

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Me and my brother spent countless hours trying to 100% both Outbreak File 1 and 2 back when they came out. It gave me so many fond memories, I can only hope Capcom decides to revisit the series someday in some capacity.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
An actual survival coop game would be a fresh experience,i'm not talking about a 4 coop game where you only shoot monsters with your friends.
You know,a game where the character you select has a unique set of skills like lockpicking,ammo crafting,create medicines etc and all of them work together to get out of Raccoon City...so yeah,Outbreak File 3 would be awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
As a big fan of co-op I always felt this was the "one that got away". Unfortunately never got to play it. Like someone already said, it came a generatin too early. I was only able to use console internet when the PS3 was around.

Now in the era of "ports" and "remasters", and considering now we have excellent co-op games like Friday the 13th, there's no excuse for this game not to deserve a second chance.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I remember really wanting Outbreak, reading about it in magazines, being excited for it, coming up with scenarios in my head, and ultimately my PS2 was screaming for an upgrade in the corner, as it didn't have Internet. Poor thing wanted to fulfill me but couldn't. Outbreak was ahead of its time, and every year I yawn for a new one.

Also, that's a very thourough OP, well done!

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice thread you got going on!

I missed the oportunity of playing this, maybe one day.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
It was ahead of it's time to its detriment, that's for sure.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The tech was impressive, but I can't help but feel how ill-suited Resident Evil was to multiplayer.

RE gameplay was about the slow exploration and puzzling out of an environment. You could muse on puzzles as you explored different hallways looking for key items. With high-stakes survival being an intrinsic part of the game, you'd frequently find yourself in no-win situations and reload saves.

With multiplayer, if you didn't know the map off by heart, you were screwed. You only had 1 "life", bumping it up to Iron Man difficulty from the get-go. Go to the wrong floor of the abandoned clinic? Axe man has corned you and game over. Don't know what key item fits what puzzle in what room and other players would rush on ahead and solve it. You would be funnelled towards seemingly important rooms only to find... nothing, because others had been there ahead of you and cleared it out. And of course without knowing what key had been there, you don't know what path's just been unlocked.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Easily two of my favorite games of all time. I dumped so many hours perfecting my runs.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being really hyped for this, me and a few others but nothing ever came of it. I would love to play a remaster or a sequel to this game.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outbreak "Ahead of its time" is the biggest load of BS I hear about this game.

If you never played any multiplayer games before it I could understand, but PS2 titles released years earlier offered better options, and PC was just lightyears ahead.

Outbreak was very much behind its time.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Outbreak "Ahead of its time" is the biggest load of BS I hear about this game.

If you never played any multiplayer games before it I could understand, but PS2 titles released years earlier offered better options, and PC was just lightyears ahead.

Outbreak was very much behind its time.

There are still few coop multiplayer experience in the survival horror genre that allowed a whole load of options and replay values that involved scenarios that would change based upon what 4 players did on timing, key items and so fourth. There was nothing like that on the console space at all that would match this.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I never played Outbreak 1 all that much, I have fond memories of the follow-up, Outbreak 2. Really enjoyed the cabin scenario as well as the one in the central zoo!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are still few coop multiplayer experience in the survival horror genre that allowed a whole load of options and replay values that involved scenarios that would change based upon what 4 players did on timing, key items and so fourth. There was nothing like that on the console space at all that would match this.

The only thing it really did new was being online survival horror co-op on console. It didn't even have voice chat. I know the Devs said it was a design choice but all it accomplished was making it even more outdated compared to other online games.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, I never played Outbreak online. Still, it's one of my favorite RE titles. With how eager Capcom has been to remaster older titles, I can only hope someday they'll bite the bullet and announce something.

I might make a separate thread for it because it's really been coming along over the last few months (it only released a few months ago), and it likely will be on sale shortly since the Halloween Sale on Steam starts in a few hours.
Is it any good? I'm intrigued but all the footage I've seen looks really rough.

c-murph

Oct 26, 2017
Outbreak File #3 plz CAPCOM~!

Edit: Hell, even a HD Remaster on PS4 with headsets would be awesome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing it really did new was being online survival horror co-op on console. It didn't even have voice chat. I know the Devs said it was a design choice but all it accomplished was making it even more outdated compared to other online games.

I would have have to disagree there. The game worked perfectly fine with voice responses and if players really wanted to use voice then they could have done via other means outside the game if they were that bent. The game's letter responses on lobbies worked on arranging and getting to know people and had the online network for adding friends and so fourth (although arbitrary) . At the time the voice implementation of the system worked in favor of making the game tense in atmosphere different you would get with continuous voice chat. It kept the suspension heavily by this and the team succeeded doing so for the majority of it.

It's going to be a case of agree to disagree here but this games structure and content they crafted did far more than a lot of online related experienced brought onto the table with cooperative play on consoles. I can only think of less than a handful that generation on cooperative online play with a great package of content.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first post here. Ex-GAFfer, same name.

I actually made a thread similar to this last year (or earlier this year), but Outbreak 1 and 2 were definitely ahead of their time as was Silent Hill 4.

First person horror is all the rage nowadays and SH4 did the whole first person mandatory movement with hauntings going around in the apartment. Outbreak 1 and 2 were co-op focused survival horror with tons of unlockables and would be a good game to stream nowadays. These 3 games were a decade ahead of their time and it's absolutely criminal that Capcom would make garbage like Umbrella Corpse instead of HD remasters/remakes of Outbreak 1 and/or 2.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend Contagion instead. First-person but very much inspired by Outbreak. Has serviceable singleplayer component.

Contagion is a good experience with friends. Did a fair few games on versus with eight of us back in the day on the suburbs level and was crazy. COOP parts were similar in first person form to some degree but it didn't come close to how events and certain thresholds increased the tensity with the Outbreak titles.

But for a modern game in the similar sense then Contagion is a must try if you have some pals to give it a go.

BiohunterX

Oct 27, 2017
ive long sinced dreamed of another outbreak or outbreak like game. an updated version of something like this would be fantastic