• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Reading this thread made me very nostalgic, I remember staying up late playing both games online for hours. Capcom pls

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
A remake or even a remaster of this game with REmaster's controls would be phenomenal but I'm wondering if it would even manage to sell. One thing I loved about the series was the fact you had other survivors with you and even when playing offline felt great. Playing the game online though really made the difference and only hope many people got the chance to experience that part of the game.

I'd have to say though that RE Outbreak 2 was the better version of the game especially when it came to the zombified animals at the zoo!

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
In the wise words of somebody important, "my life is shit."

Indeed it was my friend. Indeed it was.

It sucks that I never got the chance to play both Files online, but I did enjoy the hell out of them offline and later on with Code Junkies and Game Shark. The characters were fun and dumb, the voice commands were top tier, the gameplay was awesome.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would recommend Contagion instead. First-person but very much inspired by Outbreak. Has serviceable singleplayer component.
Oh, I own Contagion. Never played it, though. Will give it a spin later, thanks!

A remake or even a remaster of this game with REmaster's controls would be phenomenal but I'm wondering if it would even manage to sell. One thing I loved about the series was the fact you had other survivors with you and even when playing offline felt great. Playing the game online though really made the difference and only hope many people got the chance to experience that part of the game.
It's been a long time since I last played Outbreak, but wasn't the controls closer to REmaster's? I don't remember moving like a tank unless I used the directional buttons.

BiohunterX

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I own Contagion. Never played it, though. Will give it a spin later, thanks!

It's been a long time since I last played Outbreak, but wasn't the controls closer to REmaster's? I don't remember moving like a tank unless I used the directional buttons.
that is correct, the problem wasnt the controls but the loading, lag and (personally) the length. the loading lasted for soooooooo long and online was basically unplayable

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
I distinctly remember playing this game offline only (had no internet back then) and without the hard drive attachment (so terrible load times) but it was my favorite RE game.

Loved the added complexity of managing the AI players and doing stuff like holding doors closed, boarding them up, healing , etc

Would love an HD collection with possibly local split screen Co op

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game. I've easily spent thousands of hours playing this game, and that's putting it lightly.

Way before its time. Screw Capcpom for not remaking this or bringing it back.

At least we have the Private Server. <3

Harley Quinn

User was banned for account sharing.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Asylum
The concept was good but loading time ruined the game. 30 seconds between doors were way too much. PS2 wasn't great for online play either. Also it had horrible graphics compared to REmake and RE Zero and RE4 which was released around the same time.

Finally RE5 and RE6 made RE outbreak obsolete since they have co-op play too. That being said, the Outbreak series could work much better in this era and I want a sequel for PS4.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
These two games definitely deserve a remaster featuring all the chapters in one game, including the cut content. I loved the survival and exploration part of these games.

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
I remember that I always wanted a Resident Evil game where you play as a normal citizen at the start of the outbreak, and a few months later I found this game. I absolutely loved the first scenario

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Never had a chance to try online play, but still enjoyed my time with it. Still has my favorite theme in the series.

I would love for Outbreak to come back. There was still a lot of content not included on both games they were working on and a fair part of the assets were on the disk. Some involved Hunk and his unit.

So much potential that may never get the chance to see :(
Yeah, I remember seeing magazine previews with things that ended up cut. Shame, was looking for to the forest section that didn't make it.

Oct 27, 2017
I never got to play online but still think the games are in need of a remaster or at least a port to a modern system, perhaps with the file 3 cut content.
i really should try the emulated version that I've heard people have brought up the servers to play if anyone still plays it.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the original.

I think Outbreak would be a perfect spinoff RE game for the Switch. The episodic gameplay is very fitting for portable play and I love the idea of drop-in local CoOp with split joy-con.

(It should come to all platforms too, not just Switch)

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
There's probably a 0% chance of this happening, but I'd lose my shit if REmake 2 has a multiplayer mode based around the outbreak games.

Samwa

Oct 27, 2017
I was always really interested in this game but never knew what it actually was, thanks for writing this.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
I would definitely pay full price for a collection with Files 1+2 with possibly an extra level or two. Though they wouldn't be able to change much imo. The mechanics, level design, and limitations came together to create an online title where no two playthroughs of a given level were alike, especially if you played with randoms. Only 5 levels? Didn't matter, because every difficulty, every character, and every group of people you played with offered something new.

For example, if I could talk to someone across the map, and immediately get a response, the cooperation might go more smoothly, but I felt the intent of the devs was for the potential of unforeseen circumstances coming when you least expected them. Say you send someone down to grab a key item while you get one elsewhere, and they don't show up where you agreed upon. You start to feel anxious, before realizing you're going to have to search for them, and if something got them, you could be next. It's not the same effect as someone shouting "The axeman's got me come help me out! " It could be a ton of fun at first, but it wouldn't have given me the countless stories about Outbreak I have today. If you're in the same room, voice would be fine though of course.

It was definitely obtuse and difficult to get into at first, but it was pretty fun learning levels, secrets, and mechanics by watching how more experienced players in your game planned and moved. That initial confusion paid off for the game's longevity as far as I'm concerned.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why they make the black dude look like Sisqo though? Lol, would love to see a modern take on the game though

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I would really love to play these games properly in co-op and HD (only ever played the single-player back on PS2, which wasn't great), but I don't really want to mess around with emulators and servers and whatnot. I really hope Capcom remasters them. I honestly feel like it's kinda likely too.

I mean, Capcom's been going port-crazy this whole gen, and there aren't really many worthwhile RE titles left to remaster at this point, right? There's Code Veronica, but given it's current status as a PS2 Classic, it just seems like Capcom can't be bothered with it for whatever reason. There's RE1-3, but it seems like most people would rather just have REmakes (I would love a collection of them on modern hardware, myself), and most companies seem reticent to remaster PS1 era games due to how dated they look now (AFAIK, Capcom hasn't ported any of these games for over a decade now).

So, if you take those games off the table, the only RE games left that Capcom could port (and that fans seem to actually want ported/remastered) are the Outbreak games, pretty much. I guess Capcom could be dumb and leave that money on the table, but I really hope they don't. Outbreak HD collection (with online play) would be awesome!

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I just had to reply posting this particular track from the game to show more appreciation of the score that was performed for this:

The music really captured the desperation of trying to survive while teasing impeding doom that would soon fall upon Raccoon City over the coming days once the infection started leaking from the sewers into the populous. One of the great little details in the scenarios was seeing how much Raccoon City was transformation into a hell hole with destruction everywhere and then the incoming silence of the dead city.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, despite the first one not actually having the online functionality in PAL territories. Madness!

Another one would be cool, lots of potential.

DeadStar

Oct 25, 2017
The concept was good but loading time ruined the game. 30 seconds between doors were way too much.

Exactly, I liked what I played, I think there were 5 chapters and I made it to mid of chapter 4, but got bored because of those insane loading times. Then I started playing other games and never got around to finish off this one.

I only played offline though, this game could really benefit from a port to PC and current gen consoles.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I never really gave Outbreak a fair shake. Really want to go back and see what I missed out on.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
The load times were garbage if you didn't have the HDD. You really needed the thing.

There's probably a 0% chance of this happening, but I'd lose my shit if REmake 2 has a multiplayer mode based around the outbreak games.

Yeah man, if Leon has like a Kevin Ryman "costume" or like skin, I would lose my shit. Or add an easter egg or something about the Outbreak characters having 'been' there/

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Game was fantastic. I loved playing solo/offline, but I was so pissed off that the PAL version had no online.

To this day I'm baffled about Capcom's decision here. Went from a day 1 purchase to "whenever I find it for cheap". Once I did get around to actually playing it I was just annoyed that I couldn't play it the way the rest of the world did. Too bad. Wish I could've experienced it like it was supposed to when it originally released. Never got the chance to play the sequel sadly, where they didn't make the same weird decision again at least.

Oct 29, 2017
Always thought the same thing regarding the Outbreak games. It is difficult to tell if an Outbreak 3 would sell well, but I imagine that an HD collection would be feasible like another user here has said. Although RE5 and 6 both have a fun coop experience, Outbreak is very different, more of a group survival thing. It really felt like shit was going down while you were playing.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Thanks for this thread. I always felt like I missed out on this due to my internet being too poor at the time. Always seemed like a really fun game. Maybe once the RE2 remake comes out it can pave the way for spinoffs like this again.

The character design is also really good. Better than VII for sure. I miss that realistic, but slightly stylized vibe of the pure survival horror RE characters.

Oct 27, 2017
My friends and I loved playing it solo when it came out. It would have been great to experience it online at the time. Unfortunately it was a generation too soon for most of us.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
With the fan servers up its possible to play online again, but without an official port / sequel from Capcom I still feel a bit empty about their treatment of the games.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep thinking Outbreak would have been great in today's GaaS climate. They could keep adding new maps and characters and maybe new modes as well. Ah, the possibilities...