• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I debated if this deserved it's own thread, but it's a pretty good look at the game and official footage. Some may want a non-commentated, extensive look at footage from the game, and that's exactly what this is. Footage is captured from the PS5 version, footage is officially from Capcom. Lots of cuts and jumps to avoid spoilers, lots of sections. Again, it's B-Roll footage that was to be used for previewers. One thing to note is as this was B-Roll footage, there's a chance if any music was playing, it was muted to allow people to talk over it/place their own music.

Still, there obviously is spoilers even if the most spoiler-filled parts are not shown by Capcom, so don't watch the footage unless you don't mind some spoilers from the first few hours of the game.

Last edited:

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Wanna go in blind, so there's no way I'm gonna watch this - but everything I see from these thumbnails looks just great.

Btw Dusk Golem - you mendioned that Capcom was working on PS5 patch for RE7 around the time of the first Showcase - do you have any more inside info about what happened to that patch/version of the game?

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
If not for Ethan I would be really excited about this game. It looks amazing.

Yeah, I'm kinda in this boat as well.

I'm very excited for literally every other aspect of this game, but I had a lot of trouble getting into Ethan as a protagonist last time around. That being said, I fully expect I'm going to love every minute of this game and I'm really hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Ethan character development. It's just hard given they've literally just done back-to-back with some of my favorite characters in RE2/3, so coming back to Ethan just is hard to be excited about. But man, everything else about this game looks incredible. Cannot wait! So many emotions!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I watched it and it's really cool and exciting. I actually tensed up just watching. It's shaping up to be phenomenal. I think they nailed down introducing villains and having their own identity in terms of cutscene direction

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't wait to play this. I'm going to explore everything. Also, the voice actress for Lady Dimitrescu is really good.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Btw @Dusk Golem - you mendioned that Capcom was working on PS5 patch for RE7 around the time of the first Showcase - do you have any more inside info about what happened to that patch/version of the game?
There was a discussion on that earlier today:

www.resetera.com

Resident Evil 7 Is Getting A Next-Gen Patch and Other Annoucements Planned For 25th Anniversary (Dusk Golem)

Just to give a bit more of an update on this, I had heard about this a few times a last year, and if anyone disbelieves me specifically on this, it was directly also mentioned in the Capcom hack, I don't like talking about it but I'll try to find it again for anyone in doubt. I've heard of it...

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
So excited for this game, really tempted to watch this but also want as little spoilers as possible... I almost felt like playing the demo was too much of a spoiler... must hold out...

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
There was a discussion on that earlier today:

www.resetera.com

Resident Evil 7 Is Getting A Next-Gen Patch and Other Annoucements Planned For 25th Anniversary (Dusk Golem)

Just to give a bit more of an update on this, I had heard about this a few times a last year, and if anyone disbelieves me specifically on this, it was directly also mentioned in the Capcom hack, I don't like talking about it but I'll try to find it again for anyone in doubt. I've heard of it...
Thanks for the link, missed this thread.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Aww, you don't combine things straight from the inventory any more? That's sad.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me exploring the Village at night isn't just that small scripted segment.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
I feel like I just want to watch a no commentary playthrough and I will enjoy it more than playing the game

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I won't get to into it, but it's very clear you return to the Village several times in the game.
tenor.gif

I already said several times the RE4 Village in Ch.2 is a top tier horror setting, if they can match that vibe here it would be amazing.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Yeah, in one video preview they mentioned that the village is like a hub linking to all other areas

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I played both REmakes and thought none of them stood out any more than Ethan did. They're just as ''bland'' if you will, so not sure i understand that complaint.

If you played RE 2 remake and thought Claire didn't stand out from Leon, LET ALONE Ethan in RE7 (who admittedly sounds a little more engaged in Village from the demo), then we have very different requirements for our protagonists.

I've said this a few times. If this was any other character from 7, I'd be happier, preferably Mia. Or if they had a new character.

Mia would have been AWESOME. Or a MGS2-style switch from Ethan to Mia or someone else very early on.... dayum just imagine

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
If you played RE 2 remake and thought Claire didn't stand out from Leon, LET ALONE Ethan in RE7 (who admittedly sounds a little more engaged in Village from the demo), then we have very different requirements for our protagonists.

Mia would have been AWESOME. Or a MGS2-style switch from Ethan to Mia or someone else very early on.... dayum just imagine
To me she was a female version of Leon. Why would she stand out? I liked Ada better.

Mar 19, 2020
I like Ethan as a character. I enjoyed his remarks in the first game but what I really liked about him in the demo was how he actually showed some signs that the original game actually fucked with him to an extent. Re3 remake did this a bit with Jill but I feel the series kind of glosses over this at times. It's the main reason why I'm happy that this is a direct sequel to 7 because it gives Ethan a chance to actually have meaningful character development.

I feel all the characters in this series change so much from game to game that they may as well be new characters.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I like Ethan as a character. I enjoyed his remarks in the first game but what I really liked about him in the demo was how he actually showed some signs that the original game actually fucked with him to an extent. Re3 remake did this a bit with Jill but I feel the series kind of glosses over this at times. It's the main reason why I'm happy that this is a direct sequel to 7 because it gives Ethan a chance to actually have meaningful character development.

I feel all the characters in this series change so much from game to game that they may as well be new characters.
There is something funny to be said that Ethan is going to be one of the most consistent characters by virtue he has the same body/face model (even if you rarely see), same voice actor, and same writer. Though a different direction for Ethan as want to make him more a character now.

Is it just me or does this look like significantly better than the demo from last Saturday?
It's actually not that unusual for demo builds to be based on an older build of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I may be the biggest member of the Ethan fan club, for how his character is used. I don't need all my protagonists being wise-cracking action hero style. What I really like about the way they have used Ethan in the narrative of VII is solidified in what we've seen of Village, which is Ethan as a conduit for other characters to shine and the environments to tell a story. If he was was just being Leon or Chris and dropping Bingo lines it just wouldn't work with the way they utilise larger than life zones for each of the villains in VII and now Village to be the threat. As one of the posters mentioned already, I do like the angle they are taking with him seeming to be genuinely affected by the events he keeps getting wrapped up in and also this angle the trailer seemed to show of someone who just wants a normal life but everyone around him seems infatuated with him for one reason or another.

I do understand why some see that as dull, but for the games he is in and what Capcom is trying to do with the narrative, I think he is the perfect protagonist for these specific entries in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

I already said several times the RE4 Village in Ch.2 is a top tier horror setting, if they can match that vibe here it would be amazing.
not sure what it is but this game really screams RE4 inspiration to me.. RE7 didn't at all... I was going to get it on steam for 10 and probably should have but said nah and ended up watching a 5 hour movie play-through and yeah i would have been mad about buying it not because its not a good game.. really some insane moments in the game and all the Joe Baker dlc is the best damn thing about re7... I still don't really like the FPS for RE games and i LOVE FPS games but yeah this game really has some of the things in RE7 as its a squeal but it seems waay more ambitious. but this year is dry as a bone for games and i need something to use my 2060 for other than genshin impact lol.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I may be the biggest member of the Ethan fan club, for how his character is used. I don't need all my protagonists being wise-cracking action hero style. What I really like about the way they have used Ethan in the narrative of VII is solidified in what we've seen of Village, which is Ethan as a conduit for other characters to shine and the environments to tell a story. If he was was just being Leon or Chris and dropping Bingo lines it just wouldn't work with the way they utilise larger than life zones for each of the villains in VII and now Village to be the threat. As one of the posters mentioned already, I do like the angle they are taking with him seeming to be genuinely affected by the events he keeps getting wrapped up in and also this angle the trailer seemed to show of someone who just wants a normal life but everyone around him seems infatuated with him for one reason or another.

I do understand why some see that as dull, but for the games he is in and what Capcom is trying to do with the narrative, I think he is the perfect protagonist for these specific entries in the series.
Agreed, i like ethan and this is allowing the games to have very memorable villains.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I can't say any of them really stand out to me either. Jill from RE3 remake is the only with a personality. I don't really get the Ethan hate either. Claire and Leon are just as dull.