• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Video shows off a new system in Resident Evil Village where you hunt various animals, like chickens, pigs, fish, rams, etc, for meat to bring to the Duke to prepare for meals, and goes more in-depth showing off and explaining Resident Evil 8's upgrade system.

As there's a lot of new gameplay & proper explanations in this video, I thought it warranted its own thread.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna see more footage so could someone explains how the upgrade work pls?

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you can upgrade your skills without having to hunt animals.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Initial thought : that sounds pointless

Finding out it causes powerful and permanent upgrades? Ohhhhhhhh!

And the environment looks fantastic... just wish it was in VR

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Damn that Wolf fuckers! Looks like we need to find the shotgun by immediately. Game looks awesome.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't wanna see more footage so could someone explains how the upgrade work pls?

Kill animals to get ingredients (meat, poultry) that can be used to cook permanent upgrades for Ethan. It looks like bigger animals fight back and are a little spongey, so there might be some risk/reward in engaging them. Weapons are upgraded from cash obtained by killing enemies or selling RE4/5 style treasures you find.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna see more footage so could someone explains how the upgrade work?
So for weapon upgrades, it's pretty straight-forward, you have money, you buy the upgrades for the weapon you want (different weapons have certain exclusive upgrades to that specific weapon)

To upgrade base stats, you hunt animals. They each give a type of meat, IE chicken meat, cow meat, eggs, etc. You bring them to the Duke, and he has recipes to prepare meals for you and him to share that require a certain amount of certain types of meat. The different meals give upgrades to Ethan's base stats, IE increase maximum health, increase efficiency of his guard, increase his movement speed, etc.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Get in my veins Resident Evil 4.5!!! This game is looking more and more in line with what I loved about RE4 and 5. Bring it on!

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
Going out on a limb here and guessing the Duke's kitchen probably isn't the most sanitary cooking space out there.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kill animals to get ingredients (meat, poultry) that can be used to cook permanent upgrades for Ethan. It looks like bigger animals fight back and are a little spongey, so there might be some risk/reward in engaging them. Weapons are upgraded from cash obtained by killing enemies or selling RE4/5 style treasures you find.
So for weapon upgrades, it's pretty straight-forward, you have money, you buy the upgrades for the weapon you want (different weapons have certain exclusive upgrades to that specific weapon)

To upgrade base stats, you hunt animals. They each give a type of meat, IE chicken meat, cow meat, eggs, etc. You bring them to the Duke, and he has recipes to prepare meals for you and him to share that require a certain amount of certain types of meat. The different meals give upgrades to Ethan's base stats, IE increase maximum health, increase efficiency of his guard, increase his movement speed, etc.

Thanks to both of you. Really like that we can upgrade our stats, this tells me this game will be really big, way bigger than RE7.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Finally I can kick Black Philip's ass

UuwOgRN.gif

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
So looking for certain animals is kinda like looking for the yellow herbs in re 4? Wonder if they are easy to find on your main path or that there is stuff like a hidden turkey or something you can use to upgrade a stat.

Qiot

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, what is it about RE 7/8 that triggers my motion sickness so badly?
I couldn't even get through that 3 minute video without feeling a little sick.

That upgrade system looks like a real step up though.

Dec 6, 2017
US
The real story here are the full-on Resi 4 juicy head splatters, are you kidding me? There's even body spins when you blast them, yesss.

May 25, 2019
London
Strong, strong RE4 vibes. From the headshot splatters/reactions from the enemies to the upgrade systems, especially with the guns requiring money to upgrade.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
maybe its the time of day in the video, but almost nothing in this game has or casts a shadow. it drags down the visuals for me.
edit: the screenshot from ceo shows the problem. it looks like the whole lighting is missing.

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
Looking really good. can´t wait for the stream. But is it me or do the shown enviroments look kinda small-ish? Is the village/the valley "open"?

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
This whole scene gives strong RE4 vibes.

I really, really loved that Village parts.

gdsgsgszgkik.png

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
is this still a Resident Evil game?
The money and weapon upgrades are straight from RE4. The settings is close to the village big. It looks really good. The only difference from RE games other than 7 is that it's 1st person. Looks great.

Dusk Golem do you know if they'll shake up the merchant for 4 remake or are we basically just getting this with a different UI, for weapons and items I mean, not cooking.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Shit these quicker moving enemies might make me pick this up on PC for mouse and keyboard. Game looks amazing. Footage kinda gave me RE4 vibes.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Second part of the video is just explaining RE4 and RE5 which is fine by me. Hunting seems interesting as well. I didn't like the coin upgrades in RE7. I ended up missing two and couldn't get the magnum at the end. This is definitely going to be more combat focused.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
One concern I had was that critical shots were not present. I was wrong and so happy that it's in. I wonder if there are any speedrunning trophies/rewards. It's gonna be really interesting to figure out if hunting for animal meat is necessary for those kinds of runs.