• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ey4HjThVEAY2PZP

(7/21) swarmed by Lycan, who only back off when a bell begins tolling, and they scurry off someplace else.
-Capcom knows they didn't fully flesh out Ethan's character in RE7, the story was more focused on the other characters. He was basically a player camera. But the team felt a

(8/21) attachment to Ethan, they saw the critiques on him from RE7, they felt his story wasn't over, & decided to give Ethan his own story, & to make people as endeared to him as the team is to him, really show us who Ethan Winters is and why he's great.
-On Chris Redfield, they

(9/21) want to keep a lot of his role a mystery, but they will clarify that this title is tapping into the dark side of Chris Redfield, a side of him that's been there in the past, but it's gotten worse.
-The nameless Village in RE8 is a place time has forgotten. It's beautiful,

(10/21) but full of shadows. Part of their goal with this game was to make something that was simultaneously aesthetically pleasing, but the most grotesque the series has ever gone. The Village has a natural beauty that's soiled by its dark underbelly.
-RE8's design philosophy is

(11/21) to balance pacing of quiet, dark horror with adrenaline-pumping intense bouts of survival. Village has the largest environments in any RE game to date, which making these larger open spaces made them decide to focus on strategic depth to the game's mechanics. Village also

Oct 27, 2017
Using this thread for a slightly off-topic post: just installed RE7 on my PC, I've heard mouse and keyboard is a little wonky in the game? Is this true/should I use a controller?

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ey4JlKqVcAM7Hnj

Ey4KS0vVEAAvdFY

(12/21) has the most vertical design of any RE game outside of just wide areas. They increased Ethan's movement speed due to the openess, but to make this horror, they made sure the threat was more intense that ever, so players aren't just gunning through everything, often being

(13/21) defensive is a better strategy. Ethan can interact with lots in the environment, instead of killing enemies, if high up it's often better to guard and then kick them off, there's a focus on moment-to-moment gameplay, letting players choose paths through areas, strategize.

(14/21)-Lycans were designed with the games more open & vertical environments. They take a moment to crouch into sprinting position, but if you don't stop them, they can run on all fours super quickly. They can climb up the side of buildings, walls.
-One gameplay moment described
(15/22) is a scene where you're in a grain field. You see Lycan's entering the field from wheel barrows, other things you can stand on, the Lycans move fast through the field & you can only tell where they are by the noise of rustling, & standing tall seeing the wheat part as

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
(12/21) has the most vertical design of any RE game outside of just wide areas. They increased Ethan's movement speed due to the openess, but to make this horror, they made sure the threat was more intense that ever, so players aren't just gunning through everything, often being

(13/21) defensive is a better strategy. Ethan can interact with lots in the environment, instead of killing enemies, if high up it's often better to guard and then kick them off, there's a focus on moment-to-moment gameplay, letting players choose paths through areas, strategize.
Is this Dusk quoting from the GI issue or his own thoughts? Cause this sounds really good.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is this Dusk quoting from the GI issue or his own thoughts? Cause this sounds really good.
Gameinformer article.

Ey4LVA4VUAAOkga

Ey4MyCJUcAA8N8B

(16/22) approach your location, you have choices to make to wait for them to come to you, or to try & take them out before they get that chance.
-Shooting at a bad of flour will make it explode into white powder that will temporarily stun enemies. There's a lot more environmental

(17/22) response to actions, to experiment & test with, players should keep an eye out for such things.
-Lycans have the ability to smash through things, climb things, sprint, Ethan can hold out in houses and barricade them, but he has to be careful if players take this route. An

(18/22) example being if you hear Lycan climbing up onto the roof, be careful.
-Capcom is really happy with Dimitrescu's response, they wanted to make a unique take on a Castle Count that didn't strike as stereotypical or forgettable, like other things in Village, memorable but

(19/23)a level of groundedness to it.
-There's animals you meet, like chickens, pigs, horses, fish, & more. You can hunt these animals for their meat, eggs, other things. Taking their meat to the Duke, the Duke can prepare the meat to give buffs to Ethan's base state, like health

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
(19/23)a level of groundedness to it.
-There's animals you meet, like chickens, pigs, horses, fish, & more. You can hunt these animals for their meat, eggs, other things. Taking their meat to the Duke, the Duke can prepare the meat to give buffs to Ethan's base state, like health
This one is what they were teasing in the article
We also got an exclusive look at some of Ethan's gear and offer a full breakdown on how players can upgrade weapons or hunt for food to create permanent health upgrades.

Make sense when the game is a bit more open. You have to work a bit more for permanent health upgrades. In 7 they were simple steroid injection shots you found or traded for coins.

Oct 25, 2017

Huge relief. Everything sounds great so far.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ey4CaolVIAAa5Al

(20/24), guard strength, increase his movement speed. The meat of animals you can hunt is used for Ethan's base stat upgrades.
-Of course, Duke also trades in money, & outside of standard upgrades, each weapon has special upgrades. Like the F2 Rifle you can buy a cheek rest to

(21/24) reduce weapon sway, or the M1897 Shotgun's hair trigger can improve rate of fire.
-Though the team has improved Village's combat, they want no misunderstanding that this is taking away from the horror or other elements.
-They think Village has the best puzzles in any RE

(22/24) game. They worked hard to make the puzzles fun, not too easy but not too hard, integrated into the world & story. To not feel random or just a puzzle for sake of a logic puzzle, but be characteristic & interesting.
-Emphasis they know good horror isn't just about facing a

(23/25) monster. It involves tapping into the imagination, building tension, betraying expectations, keeping things fresh to not grow numb to it, it's about balance, creativity, the quiet moments often mean more than the loud ones.
-They think one reason you often don't see AAA

(24/25) horror games is horror itself is already divisive if people like it, then what horror fans want is even more split. There's a challenge inherently to building a horror game that's meaningful & impactful, while also more broadly appealing. Their solution is to innovate,
(25/25) the studio has had a lot of time to look over what's worked & not worked for them, trends players like & don't in what they make, & it helps them think how they can do one better.

Village is them innovating on what's worked to do better, they think it'll surprise people.

Finished! Thanks for the summary Dusk!

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Breh. That red eyed Lycan would have me shitting my pants if we met it in the dark. My hype has officially blasted off. I am ready. 24 days.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
The whole village scenes on that video make me feel RE4 days again, village episodes was best part of the game for me.

It's awesome that they are inspired by these levels.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The whole village scenes on that video make me feel RE4 days again, village episodes was best part of the game for me.

It's awesome that they are inspired by these levels.
My concern now is that the beginning area is fantastic and late-game relies on powerful weapons in sterile environments. Pacing is always an issue in RE games (at least for me) so we'll see how RE8 manages
So... can we assume this is a proper character? Like, maybe a member of Beneviento's family? or could this be Otto? lol

I mean, he looks really cool. I hope he's not just some background mini-boss like the Executioner Majini.
That's just an enemy. We already saw it in this footage:

youtu.be

Resident Evil Village - Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer

We get our first look at gameplay in Resident Evil 8: Village and some of the people we are going to encounter on your journey through the castle, the tall, ...

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
My concern now is that the beginning area is fantastic and late-game relies on powerful weapons in sterile environments. Pacing is always an issue in RE games (at least for me) so we'll see how RE8 manages

I don't like RE7 for this reason. After those incredible mansion episodes the other places was too awful and boring. This time they have a big town and castle in their hands you know. All the designs of the game are looks creative and elaborate, and I believe they will do the same for the level designs this time.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is what I'm wondering... are you implying he's a standar enemy? Like, there will be many of these giant werewolves?
Okay. I just wonder if he's gonna have an identity, a name or something. So he's not just another Executioner Majini.
Go to 2:35 in that video. He is absolutely another Executioner Majini type. The narrator is even describing "enemies" and strategies to defeat them as it's attacking.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
If this can avoid having a mediocre 3rd act like every RE, this might be the best entry in the series :O. Definitely sounds like the most ambitious.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Man... this all sounds great.

Take these mechanics, expand on them even more, add PvPvE in Raccoon City, I have my forever game.

Apr 19, 2018
(20/24), guard strength, increase his movement speed. The meat of animals you can hunt is used for Ethan's base stat upgrades.
-Of course, Duke also trades in money, & outside of standard upgrades, each weapon has special upgrades. Like the F2 Rifle you can buy a cheek rest to

(21/24) reduce weapon sway, or the M1897 Shotgun's hair trigger can improve rate of fire.

This seemingly large emphasis on base stats and weapons upgrades makes me hope there's a New Game+ waiting in the wings. If the combat is as rich and expansive as they're saying, it sounds like it'd be a blast on replays with previous carry-overs.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm super curious as to how this game will be received and it's sales. This has to be the biggest game release this year so far.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I respect holding back on Lady D, but this could literally be the cover for anything zombo related lol

200.gif

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this sounds like a dream mashup of classic horror RE and RE4 village survival gameplay. The lycans sound amazing and that art posted above looks all sorts of incredible. Really anxious to see how holing yourself up in a house while lycan AI tries to get in plays out.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
This seemingly large emphasis on base stats and weapons upgrades makes me hope there's a New Game+ waiting in the wings. If the combat is as rich and expansive as they're saying, it sounds like it'd be a blast on replays with previous carry-overs.

Re 4 and 5 had new game plus modes that even unlocked some very fun overpowered weapons. Running through re 4 again with the chigago typewriter and unlimited rocket launcher was great! Hopefully they have something similar here.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Wow, this game sounds way more complex than I initially thought. Seems like a day 1 at this point.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Feel like the hype really started getting kicked into gear yesterday. Can not wait until tomorrow for the Showcase.

Feb 19, 2018
"Look Ethan, the cavalry has arrived! Sadly, they are trying to kill you too."

Will be interesting to see how they implemented enemies on horseback. Has quite a lot of potential in more open areas, I can't see the player being able to outrun those. Now that I think about it, they did something similar with motorbike mounted Majinji in RE5, but horses are something different entirely (regular enemy riding a Pinata of Stat Upgrade Materials? Yes. YEEEEES >:D).

Dec 6, 2017
US
Based on those gameplay mechanics posted above and the gameplay trailer, this sounds like some of the best ideas of RE4 and RE7 somehow mashed into a potentially amazing concoction, fuck. The fact there is so much emphasis on 'moment to moment gameplay', verticality, environmental gimmicks and all sounds fucking fantastic.

So hyped

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That demo cannot get here soon enough. This, Nier Replicant, and Mass Effect are gonna be so fucking good.

Sep 7, 2020
I cannot wait for this game. This is on my list of must plays for 2021 with Halo:infinite, HZD2 (if it comes out this year), and guilty gear so far.