• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

On top of the seemingly-close relationship between Capcom & Sony, it looks like Capcom's slowly-but-surely moving away from Just Cause Productions (Reuben Langdon's motion capture studio that Capcom has used for years). Hopefully this eventually leads to Capcom cutting ties with Reuben Langdon & Just Cause Productions entirely in the near future. And going by what I've seen of RE8, Sony Santa Monica, the actors, & the crew involved did great work.

In the case of when Capcom most recently used Just Cause Productions, it seems like they were last used for Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (which was released last year), with their most recent Resident Evil game being the Resident Evil 2 remake (which was released in 2019).

Source: Jonathan Cooper (Twitter)

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That explains a lot. The animations of this game are incredible.

Oct 26, 2017
Just had the scene from all the trailers with Ethan being strung up, the subtle movements and flourishes by Lady Dimitrescu and her daughters were sublime.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
D5GZRs1XsAA5f5n.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense. Why built something from scratch when you can just rent the space?

Edit: And to be clear, the technology Sony has implemented I believe has only gotten better since God of War + Last of Us part 1. Troy Baker talked about it a bit.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
This is actually super interesting, and I wonder why exactly.

The animations in the game are top notch, as to be expected by something done by a premiere Playstation studio, but it does beg some questions about their relationship. Interested to see how this evolves

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Sony Santa Monica allows a lot of people to do motion capture there. The Mega 64 guys have said that they were offered the use of the studio to do stuff too. It doesn't mean there's any sort of bigger relationship just from this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is not interesting at all. Companies rent facilities all time. It's just production costs.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

The animations in the game are top notch, as to be expected by something done by a premiere Playstation studio, but it does beg some questions about their relationship. Interested to see how this evolves
To be honest, I'm more curious about the implications of Capcom's relationship with Just Cause Productions (& by extension, Reuben Langdon). If this means that Capcom is actually moving away from Reuben (albeit quietly like Insomniac seemingly did), we could see Dante & Ken be recast in the not-too-distant future.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sony Santa Monica allows a lot of people to do motion capture there. The Mega 64 guys have said that they were offered the use of the studio to do stuff too. It doesn't mean there's any sort of bigger relationship just from this.
Yeah I mean, its a business. You got a large studio youre not always using, you may as well rent it.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe this is uncommon. I forgot which game it was but in the credits they had to thank Quantic Dream for the use of their mocap studio. Seems to be a standard industry thing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the most likely answer is that SSM opens their studio to anyone. if MS or Nintendo wanted to use it, they probably can

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hesitant to call it a trend but them not using Just Cause is at least a good thing even if it's a one off.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very good to hear, hopefully every company who does business with him follows suit. Fuck Langdon.

Oct 27, 2017
RE3make also didn't use Just Cause Productions from what I was able to look up, hence why I'm saying that I hope that this is actually a growing trend.

Oh that's good to hear, I'm wondering if there were contractual obligations for DMC5: SE and they had to go back for that game in particular before moving away again for Village.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Good move cutting ties with Langdon. I also prefer not to do business with right wing conspiracy nuts.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's baffling how Capcom has to rely on third party facilities instead of building their own mo-cap studio. Their games rely a lot on mo-cap and animations and they don't lack resources to build a new one.

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they use Just Cause's Tokyo studio previously? Not sure Reuben Langdon alone would have pushed them across the Pacific.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE3make also didn't use Just Cause Productions from what I was able to look up, hence why I'm saying that I hope that this is actually a growing trend.

Wonder if this will be the case if he returns as Ken in SF6.

Pragmata and Revelations 3/Outrage I could see his studio not be involved.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
It's baffling how Capcom has to rely on third party facilities instead of building their own mo-cap studio. Their games rely a lot on mo-cap and animations and they don't lack resources to build a new one.

Maybe the time it takes to build a studio didn't work with whatever production schedule they had for this project.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Since we are all aboard this crazy train right now, if they buy Capcom they better nab Squeenix too

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I was under the impression most mocap studios is fair game for rental/use since they arent being used all of the time.

I think its more interesting that both RE7 and RE8 were mocapped in english with American voice actors. I don't know many other Japanese games that do this.