• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
It only makes sense to post this in gaming discussion, right?

RT: 28%

New York Post
The film is empty-headed good fun that's blessedly under two hours and has just enough character development to make you kind of care when someone gets bitten.

Slant
Johannes Roberts's prequel ultimately remains buried by its indifference to unchecked corporate power.

IGN
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City is certainly not the worst video game adaptation or even the worst Resident Evil movie, but both those bars are pretty low. Director Johannes Roberts does deserve some credit for sticking much more closely to the source material than the Paul W.S. Anderson films, but a short runtime, a rushed third act, and lack of elements to make it truly scary to watch in the dark hold it back immensely.

Variety
Subpar computer-generated effects, helter-skelter editing and a blaring score, though, mark it as a contemporary B-movie. Not that the reboot's shortcomings are tied to a particular era. In any decade, the film's bevy of unexplained details, dropped subplots, paper-thin characterizations and fright-free mayhem would disappoint.

Gamespot
Fans of Resident Evil will likely enjoy that Welcome To Raccoon City is a closer conception of the horror ideas of the games, as well as their lighter side, than past adaptations. Its take on Resident Evil's characters are similarly close to the source material, made all the better by some solid changes in backstory and a cast that is both having fun and selling the scares. But the movie never seems willing to lean into its good ideas, or to risk coloring too far out of the lines established by the game series. It leaves Welcome To Raccoon City feeling like pieces are missing.

AV Club
This misbegotten brand refresh exhumes a franchise that had been laid to rest and jolts it back to life in a manner most frightfully unnatural, the result a ghastly, soulless husk of its former self. The film itself is a more disturbing zombie than anything it can put on screen.

Screen Rant
Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City is fun in its presentation but lacking in substance. It may be entertaining and faithful to the games, but bland characters and half-baked world-building dampen the impact of what could have been a fabulous adaptation.

Last edited:

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I'll see it but it feels like a RE movie should be super simple to do. Group of protagonists stuck in a creepy mansion owned by someone who was obsessed with puzzles and secrets. It's also on top of a lab where zombies and other insane creatures escape.
Like Escape Room crossed with Dawn of the Dead in a mansion.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was gonna be a series

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
So excited. I love RE but also generally think it's B-movie schlock in terms of its storytelling and character writing (or w/e could be called that).

Give me a 90 minute cheesy as fuck b-movie with lots of violence and I'm good.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get why they wouldn't just focus on the first game. Make it as close to the RE1 remake as possible. Still plenty of cool setpieces, creepy settings, and lots of different, visually striking monsters. Also cheaper, with a single, mostly interior, location.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Pump this garbage straight into me

Sounds like we garbage connoisseurs are gonna eat with this one!

possum-awesome.gif

Aug 26, 2018
日本
No. No more garbage. lol

I think a reboot had the potential to be more than just dumb, brainless entertainment. We already did that. The first go arounds were the king of that. So, it's very disappointing that it got so mishandled. In what universe would it have been a good idea to mash 2 games into one movie?

And some of these reviews are even trying to justify it by saying there's not enough story in the games. Uh...what? There's a whole lot of backstory and inner workings behind the scenes. Create some of the scenarios from the files in the first game (because finding all these random detailed journals would clearly not work). They wholesale deleted characters from the first game to bring in characters from the second game. No. Make it cohesive. Especially given that at the baseline, we'd have to weave the separate Chris and Jill paths from the first game together. Make people care about the characters and then slowly make it so that no one can trust each other because there are moles working to sabotage the investigation into a wealthy recluse. There's even a bunch of social commentary there to be made.

And then there's obviously enough material for RE2 to be its own movie and to scale up there. If there was something to combine, then clearly it'd be 2 and 3. But even that would be debatable.

Last edited:

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
To this day Land of the dead and day of the dead remain the best resident evil movie out there. Seriously Land is basically resident evil the movie made by romero.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Resident Evil story is the most hackneyed, goofy shit with ridiculous plot contrivances, with motivations that would make a 7 year old suss, characters who have no connection with any sort of human behaviour anyone has ever, ever witnessed, and the most stupid fucking stories you could possibly imagine. How people keep expecting a good film to be made from this source material is BONKERS.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil story is the most hackneyed, goofy shit with ridiculous plot contrivances, with motivations that would make a 7 year old suss, characters who have no connection with any sort of human behaviour anyone has ever, ever witnessed, and the most stupid fucking stories you could possibly imagine. How people keep expecting a good film to be made from this source material is BONKERS.
Good films can be made from anything with the right time and effort you also don't have to follow the source material to the letter. If comic book movies can be good then so can RE movies its really not that hard to grasp.

Oct 25, 2017
Good films can be made from anything with the right time and effort you also don't have to follow the source material to the letter. If comic book movies can be good then so can RE movies its really not that hard to grasp.
While I agree that a good Resident Evil movie is possible, your comic analogy seems a bit off, since many comics actually tell good stories in the first place. Resident Evil absolutely does not.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
While I agree that a good Resident Evil movie is possible, your comic analogy seems a bit off, since many comics actually tell good stories in the first place. Resident Evil absolutely does not.
Past RE4, it's out of hand. But at the core of the first games, it's a viral outbreak, corporate corruption, and a coverup. Some military-industrial complex and espionage thrown in. That's the makings of a perfectly fine story.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get why they wouldn't just focus on the first game. Make it as close to the RE1 remake as possible. Still plenty of cool setpieces, creepy settings, and lots of different, visually striking monsters. Also cheaper, with a single, mostly interior, location.

Yes yes yes. I would love this. Make it horror.

Jul 24, 2018
Same. The Mansion would have been a good setting alone.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like garbage but with more tie ins to the games than the other films. I love Resi, it's my favourite series but i'd rather have a good film than something that's bad but has super obvious nods to fans. Everything i've seen of this sounds like they have crammed in so much shit from 1 and 2 that i can't see how it wouldn't suffer because of it.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Same. The Mansion would have been a good setting alone.
Yup, why cram all these characters and locations in one movie? if you want to mix several games within the same movie do it like this:

Movie 1: Resident Evil Zero/Resident Evil1: Starring Rebecca, Jill, Chris, Barry, Wesker and Stars members.
Movie 2: Resident Evil 2/Resident Evil 3: Starring Leon, Claire, Ada, Jill, Carlos, Mikhail.
Movie 3: Resident Evil Code Veronica: Starring Chris, Claire, Steve, Wesker......

But mixing 1 & 2 is bad.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've got a weird feeling that I'm going to think the old Resident Evil movies (well a couple of them) are going to be better than this, which is saying something, as they aren't exactly top tier movies lol

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yup, why cram all these characters and locations in one movie? if you want to mix several games within the same movie do it like this:

Movie 1: Resident Evil Zero/Resident Evil1: Starring Rebecca, Jill, Chris, Barry, Wesker and Stars members.
Movie 2: Resident Evil 2/Resident Evil 3: Starring Leon, Claire, Ada, Jill, Carlos, Mikhail.
Movie 3: Resident Evil Code Veronica: Starring Chris, Claire, Steve, Wesker......

But mixing 1 & 2 is bad.

Honestly, I don't think any of them lend well to be combined. All of them have their own beginning, middle and end narrative and combining any of them is just going to be messy. Just do one of them if you're dead set on adapting 1:1 the game's story. It's just such an odd thing I can't wrap my head around why anyone would even attempt to do it

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Land of the Dead is nothing like RE. Outside of being B-movie shlock and I guess having a "big" zombie type that is more intelligent.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

But mixing 1 & 2 is bad.
The only bit I could maybe personally agree with here would be combining RE2 and RE3, but having Mr. X and Nemesis in the same movie means undermining each one's presence as general audiences would likely be underwhelmed seeing two giant hulking monsters going after our protagonists. Plus, that's without getting into the disparate tones of those stories and trying to balance the more tense and meticulous pacing of RE2 with the faster, more bombastic pacing of RE3 - especially if they used the remakes as inspiration rather than the original versions of the games which really lays those differences even more bare.

I think combining any of the games into a single movie is really just a recipe for problems in general, especially if the timeline is being condensed to make RE and RE2's events run parallel which it seems like this movie is doing. That's just no good.

Also, ever since the first set of stills dropped I have desperately tried getting used to the idea of Leon with facial hair and it has not fucking worked. What an awful choice.

Last edited:

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I read "B movie" in there somewhere.
Count me in!

Pretending that Resident Evil is anything more than B movie material is giving the games too much credit anyway.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I read "B movie" in there somewhere.
Count me in!

Pretending that Resident Evil is anything more than B movie material is giving the games too much credit anyway.
Doesn't sound like it gets anywhere near the same quality of b-movie fun though. There are tiers to b-movies.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Agreed with all. Absolutely hated the fact that they sandwich RE1/2. Why? What's the point? Why take out two iconic locations in one movie with the mansion/Raccoon City? Why is this series so hard to bring to film?

I don't want this movie to bomb, but if it does… I kinda hope someone tries to buy out the rights and try for a 3rd time. This really isn't that hard of a concept.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The only bit I could maybe personally agree with here would be combining RE2 and RE3, but having Mr. X and Nemesis in the same movie means undermining each one's presence as general audiences would likely be underwhelmed seeing two giant hulking monsters going after our protagonists. Plus, that's without getting into the disparate tones of those stories and trying to balance the more tense and meticulous pacing of RE2 with the faster, more bombastic pacing of RE3 - especially if they used the remakes as inspiration rather than the original versions of the games which really lays those differences even more bare.

I think combining any of the games into a single movie is really just a recipe for problems in general, especially if the timeline is being condensed to make RE and RE2's events run parallel which it seems like this movie is doing. That's just no good.

Also, ever since the first set of stills dropped I have desperately tried getting used to the idea of Leon with facial hair and it has not fucking worked. What an awful choice.
I was trying to say that 1 & 2 are soooooo different story wise and location wise. Zero and 1 almost same locations (Mansions, Labs...), 2 & 3 same city and locations.... ect