• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
"Add progression to encourage grinding and long-term attachment" Is such a cynical statement and yet it is at the core of so many video games that get made.

Crypt Keeper

Banned
Aug 9, 2021
This should be showed to all the people that defend companies thinking they don't know any better and do all the best they can and yada yada yada

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's real folks, part of this was leaked last year during the hack situation with Capcom.

There's more this time around, though.

A lot more.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Not saying this as if EVERY GAME COMPANY uses "Fake Leaks" like some 4D chess
But they do exist man
(In regards to one of the points in the presentation)

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
"To avoid negative buzz... This is different from "Outbreak"

lol. All I want is Outbreak back with RE2 Remake style everything.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
why are they using hearthstone cards? :D

It's actually pretty common! It's like a visual shorthand to get whomever is hearing the pitch to grasp the concept visually, without also having to, say, have one of your artists create a mock up with assets that don't exist in your game yet. You could just show a slide with text describing the feature, but that can be kind of boring to look at, so grab a few images of a game with a similar feature, and maybe even a video of the feature in action, to better illustrate what you have in mind, and it can also, psychologically, increase the chance that the new feature gets greenlit. It's like, "Hey, this feature looks really cool, our game could definitely use something like that, and what the interface could possibly look like!" It's much more effective than a work in progress mock up someone on the staff tried to create as well.

I've been in a few "potential game features" presentations like this that are very similar. Some of them had slides of existing games with similar features, and others did actually have rough mock ups by a UI artist that had the bandwidth to produce it for the meeting.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Pretty much what I've been saying about leaks. Controlled leaks are a thing, either fake or real can be used as part of a marketing strategy. I'm 100% sure MS does controlled leaks.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man, Kinda hurts more that they were fully aware of the game's shortness all along. Jill didn't deserve to be slighted like this. Especially for a game like Resistance. Welp, that kinda kills any of my hopes of a director's cut.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That's gotta be some 4Chan bullshit, it's too wildly different, things are poorly resized, and the type faces are all over the place, lol.

It's 4chan bullshit.

I saw that post before and they are desperately pretending RE3 "failing" was due to "woke" Jill or whatever.

Predictable, pathetic people as always.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Kinda hurts more that they were fully aware of the game's shortness all along. Jill didn't deserve to be slighted like this. Especially for a game like Resistance. Welp, that kinda kills any of my hopes of a director's cut.
If these docs are real, they're marketing plans. Most marketing teams - good ones at least - are very aware of the shortcomings of their projects and have to plan accordingly. They can give that feedback during production, but not all of it can always be addressed. At some point the game is what it is.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You can still fix this Capcom, just release a director's cut.

Resistance was really fun though. It should've been a stand-alone title.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
You can still fix this Capcom, just release a director's cut.

Resistance was really fun though. It should've been a stand-alone title.

Here's the thing... they acknowledged it was short, released it to vitriolic fan feedback and lower review scores than it's predecessors... and still had it be the 14th-best selling game in company history. The RE brand was not damaged, since Village sold ludicrous.

So... speaking like a cold corporate shark, what is there to fix?

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
wait how long did the game end up being? howlongtobeat.com has it at 6 hours.

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen internal presentation materials from Capcom before. This certainly looks and reads genuine. Very interesting

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I don't understand the fake leak bullet point. Why would you want to antagonize your core fan base?

I think "antagonize" is a off translation maybe (assuming this was originally in Japanese and translated to English). "Tease" might be better.

I get it. Get the hardcore fanbase riled up, and word will spread, so the weak before the actual reveal, people are already talking. Then, reveal the game, and people go nuts.

It costs *nothing*, and gets everybody pumped for the actual marketing.

Talking about that, can we conclude all those updates were nothing? I mean, it's been a long time now. Some people were saying it might be promotional stuff for the film, but that's also past.

That was my pet theory (assuming the updates ever were anything, but I always had doubts). I mean, there are people still holding out hope, despite the goalposts on reveals constantly shifting. Like, the nonbelievers feel vindicated, but I bet the people clinging to that fake leak (in the sense it was laughably bad photoshop) still do... because this demonstrates Capcom does fake leaks!

wait how long did the game end up being? howlongtobeat.com has it at 6 hours.
Depends. I think I took a bit longer time, but it is short. Six sounds plausible for a blind run.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So... speaking like a cold corporate shark, what is there to fix?
Of course one game won't damage a franchise that consists of a billion games. All they could "fix" is people's perception of RE3R. And if you're a money-hungry corporation, I'm sure everyone will be willing to rebuy the game if it's more faithful to the original. Lots of money for half the work of making a new game.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I think y'all are misunderstanding that first point, no? It seems to very explicitly state that they would be bad because they would antagonize the fan base and make the marketing, which this is all about, okay catch up instead of going ahead on its own terms.

Together with the slides focusing on the Map mode and especially on how NOT to antagonize the fan base by announcing it too early, this seems to me about them trying to state that leaks would be very bad because they need to control the marketing. The only confusing part there is the "fake" part, but to me this could just as well mean "anything not officially communicated through us". Or this is a warning not to create fake leaks because it would be bad?

Either way, I don't see a was how you can interpret this as them suggesting to actually create fake leaks, considering that they also explicitly state they would be bad.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Of course one game won't damage a franchise that consists of a billion games. All they could "fix" is people's perception of RE3R. And if you're a money-hungry corporation, I'm sure everyone will be willing to rebuy the game if it's more faithful to the original. Lots of money for half the work of making a new game.

The game, as it was, took three years to make. I think you're undersellling the cost of making a substantial amount of content for it.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Talking about that, can we conclude all those updates were nothing? I mean, it's been a long time now. Some people were saying it might be promotional stuff for the film, but that's also past.

I don't think it's nothing. the build number changes, depots and overall activity on SteamDB for Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 3 Remake is almost daily. They're doing something, we simply have no idea what.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The game, as it was, took three years to make. I think you're undersellling the cost of making a substantial amount of content for it.
From one armchair developer to another, I'm just talking about making a dlc that adds the clock tower scenario back into the game. Maybe a few more cutscenes here and there. No one is asking for a huge overhaul of the game.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
From one armchair developer to another, I'm just talking about making a dlc that adds the clock tower scenario back into the game. Maybe a few more cutscenes here and there. No one is asking for a huge overhaul of the game.

Meh, I've seen more than a few people asking for explicitly that. Not just clock tower, Capcom needs to add back the park and dead factory and Brad's OG death and gravedigger and that sales office...

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Even strangely enough, Resident Evil 2 Remake has even more activity then RE3 Remake on SteamDB.
RE2R got 16 updates on there today. Check the history.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

in the remake's current story, you'd have to rewrite the second half of the game in order to include the original's clock tower segment. that means recording new dialogue, designing an entirely new level and doing new mocap. that also means that the remake's hospital segment would have to be reworked with new dialogue and other aspects of the second half would have to be reworked as well.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The funny thing is that adding the Clocktower will not make REmake 3 better, it would at best add a great part to what is otherwise an ordinary game. REmake 3's problem are deep and all around the game, nothing short of a full overhaul would make it come close to the level of quality of the original. And if any DLC is virtually impossible, that is virtually impossibliER.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If these docs are real, they're marketing plans. Most marketing teams - good ones at least - are very aware of the shortcomings of their projects and have to plan accordingly. They can give that feedback during production, but not all of it can always be addressed. At some point the game is what it is.
I misread the marketing focus. That's understandable. I guess i'm more so hurt by the fact that they thought it was ok (from a goodwill standpoint really) knowing the game is going to be short and compromising so much content from the original. My understanding (before these leaks) was that the development was rocky and they had to cut back and then they made the decision to cut planned stuff in the game, but I mean either way the shortness remained.

Is this the first time(if this is real) that we technically confirmed a company having intent to do a fake leak? I've always heard things like this, but never really knew for sure. Pretty ingenious in this day and age.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
in the remake's current story, you'd have to rewrite the second half of the game in order to include the original's clock tower segment. that means recording new dialogue, designing an entirely new level and doing new mocap. that also means that the remake's hospital segment would have to be reworked with new dialogue and other aspects of the second half would have to be reworked as well.
? How? All they have to do is make Jill take a detour to the Clock Tower before Nemmy's mutation into his dog form, then finish that section with dog Nemmy. That's it. It doesn't have to be exactly the same as the original. Half of the game already isn't.

And yes, developers usually make new assets for DLCs.

Feb 19, 2018
Why isn't 4chan banned as a source on Era? 95% of the 'leaks' there are completely made up. If developers want to give inside information a year or two after release they go to well known investigative authors and journalists like Jason Schreier, they don't randomly dumb stuff on an anonymous imageboard.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Meh, I've seen more than a few people asking for explicitly that. Not just clock tower, Capcom needs to add back the park and dead factory and Brad's OG death and gravedigger and that sales office...

Case in point... (not calling you out Sof, just pointing out that yeah, people upset over RE3R don't want a quick dlc).
The funny thing is that adding the Clocktower will not make REmake 3 better, it would at best add a great part to what is otherwise an ordinary game. REmake 3's problem are deep and all around the game, nothing short of a full overhaul would make it come close to the level of quality of the original. And if any DLC is virtually impossible, that is virtually impossibliER.

---

I misread the marketing focus. That's understandable. I guess i'm more so hurt by the fact that they thought it was ok (from a goodwill standpoint really) knowing the game is going to be short and compromising so much content from the original. My understanding (before these leaks) was that the development was rocky and they had to cut back and then they made the decision to cut planned stuff in the game, but I mean either way the shortness remained.

I thought it was the opposite. It went smooth. RE3r is literally the game they always intended to make when the project started.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Why isn't 4chan banned as a source on Era? 95% of the 'leaks' there are completely made up. If developers want to give inside information a year or two after release they go to well known author and journalists like Jason Schreier, they don't randomly dumb stuff on an anonymous imageboard.
What does that have to do with this thread?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Case in point... (not calling you out Sof, just pointing out that yeah, people upset over RE3R don't want a quick dlc).

---

I thought it was the opposite. It went smooth. RE3r is literally the game they always intended to make when the project started.

I'm not asking for it. I'm simply saying that is what it would be needed to truly improve REmake 3. There is a big difference between the two.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I'm not asking for it. I'm simply saying that is what it would be needed to truly improve REmake 3. There is a big difference between the two.

I'm sorry of that was my implication with the quotes i was dredging up--I was just pointing out that there's fans who would not be satisfied by just the clock tower.

I'm assuming there is another source for this leak then
Apparently the source was the big 2020 Capcom hack.