• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
www.nvidia.com

GeForce RTX 30 Series Performance Accelerates With Resizable BAR Support | GeForce News | NVIDIA

Support available now for all GeForce RTX 30 Series Founders Edition graphics cards, and select GeForce RTX 30 Series laptops.<br/>
Resizable BAR utilizes an advanced feature of PCI Express to increase performance in certain games. As of March 30th, 2021, Resizable BAR is supported for GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards and laptops.

For desktops to take advantage of Resizable BAR, users need a GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics card with a supported VBIOS, a compatible CPU, compatible motherboard, motherboard SBIOS update, and our newest GeForce Game Ready driver.

I was able to get it up and running on my MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio and i7 10700k system after vbios and motherboard bios updates. I have only tested it with Hitman 3 so far but I did get a decent jump in frames.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Good to see! Now I find I installed W10 with CSM enabled so enabling Resizable bar stops windows booting so looking to fix that now.. preferably without losing everything.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would love to use it as my card and my board both support it but it seems that at the moment I'm out of luck with my 3600X - I think I read at one point that they are also capable of RB but so far only 5XXX seem supported.

Are there any plans on support for other AMD CPUs?

edit: figured it out and it works with my 3600x

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still rocking a 9900k, so I won't be able to take advantage of this. But this is good to know that when it's going to eventually be time to upgrade, just upgrading the GPU probably won't be sufficient. It'll be time for a whole new system at that point (and from everything I've been seeing lately, it'll absolutely be a system with an AMD CPU).

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
BTW does anyone know why I have to have CSM enabled to boot from nvme drive? I think it is to do with having 2 drives present at install...

There are some guides talking about UEFI and partitioning drives etc....

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Still rocking a 9900k, so I won't be able to take advantage of this. But this is good to know that when it's going to eventually be time to upgrade, just upgrading the GPU probably won't be sufficient. It'll be time for a whole new system at that point (and from everything I've been seeing lately, it'll absolutely be a system with an AMD CPU).
You can use it with a 9900K, but you need a motherboard that has received a corresponding BIOS update. It's active for me and I use a 9900K, MSI Z390M Gaming Edge and RTX 3080.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just grabbed it for my X299 board, absolutely wild they went back to support it lol

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Some vendors still not released they're vbios updates (pallit, zotac, for example...).

I have a Pallit, will check again tomorrow.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so it is supported out of the gate? Or it will never be supported at all.
I'll just try it.
The GPU works with capabilities of the platform. If the platform support the feature it will work, there is no locking to any particular CPU+MB combo on the GPU side. So if your MB has support for ReBAR on your CPU it will work.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Check if your Z390 motherboard has a bios update for Resizable BAR, mine does (Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra).

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I got everything up and running this morning. I will say that Nvidia isn't really whitelisting games at a very speedy pace. They are only up to 17 games with the 9 games this driver release added.

MrCJ86

Aug 10, 2019
I found EVGA process to be pretty straight forward and painless. Just downloaded latest version of X1 and it walked me through everything.

Feb 11, 2019
Gains seem pretty good. I remember when AMD released this feature and it was benchmarked I wasn't that impressed, but now that Nvidia has it it looks pretty good. Even though the gains seem exactly the same. I must have been stuck in the Nvidia-zone when AMD announced this.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Might have to see if I can get this working later this afternoon. I don't usually bother updating BIOS and VBIOS unless there's a problem to address, I'll have to see what updates are available or if my hardware even supports it.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I got everything up and running this morning. I will say that Nvidia isn't really whitelisting games at a very speedy pace. They are only up to 17 games with the 9 games this driver release added.
You can whitelist them yourself in Nv Profile Inspector if you're willing to do some compatibility testing.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Most Z390 mobos are getting updated for rebar support, including Asus.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Seems that everybody but ASUS has a mobo update for z390 to support this. Hopefully it's coming.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Checked ASRock's website, they do have an update for my Z390, but it's a beta.. I'd rather wait for a full release with the option in it. By which time I'll probably have forgotten all about it.

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Updated my ASUS TUF OC 3080 today, using the ROG Strix BIOS Update Tool, since the documentation said it would work for all ASUS 3000 series cards. Definitely "bricked" it because I didn't know I had to turn off CSM in the mobo BIOS beforehand. Luckily I switched to the secondary Quiet BIOS on the GPU and disabled the CSM option in the mobo BIOS. After switching back to Performance BIOS on the GPU, everything worked fine and Resizeable BAR was enabled.

So yeah, to avoid the hassle, make sure CSM is disabled in the motherboard BIOS before updating the GPU BIOS!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Mobo is ready and the option is there too - MSI doesn't find the update to flash my 3070 X Trio (yet) though.
I'll come back to this at a later time I guess.

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just checked for a bios update for my MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio and the Live Update didn't find anything :(

Looks like I got to wait.

Oct 27, 2017
I seemed to get a 4 FPS increase in RDR2 but that's not definitive either considering for some reason my settings were reset...positive my new settings were definitely higher in some cases than they were before so the increase in performance may be even better. Using a RTX 3070 FE and a i7-10700K.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
I would love to use it as my card and my board both support it but it seems that at the moment I'm out of luck with my 3600X - I think I read at one point that they are also capable of RB but so far only 5XXX seem supported.

Are there any plans on support for other AMD CPUs?
I was able to get it activated with my 3600 so you could give it a shot.
How do you know if it's actually enabled and working? I've turned it on in the BIOS and updated to the new Nvidia drivers.
In the Nvidia control panel click on system information in the bot left and you will see if it's enabled or not.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think you should be able to find it by pressing the arrow buttons and checking for it in the bios category.

It doesn't show for me either - it's just showing this:

capturedzk9b.png

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I got the update for my 3080 TUF.
Now let's see if MSI does what it was reported and adds support for Z370.

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like my MSI B450 mortar has bee. Updated but my Zotac 3070 Twin Edge OC hasn't got a vbios yet :(

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Updated my ASUS TUF OC 3080 today, using the ROG Strix BIOS Update Tool, since the documentation said it would work for all ASUS 3000 series cards. Definitely "bricked" it because I didn't know I had to turn off CSM in the mobo BIOS beforehand. Luckily I switched to the secondary Quiet BIOS on the GPU and disabled the CSM option in the mobo BIOS. After switching back to Performance BIOS on the GPU, everything worked fine and Resizeable BAR was enabled.

So yeah, to avoid the hassle, make sure CSM is disabled in the motherboard BIOS before updating the GPU BIOS!

Hmmm...just updated my Gigabyte RTX 3080 bios and after rebooting I'm stuck on a black screen.

I'll try what you suggest and hope it works.