• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
d9w7QlK.png

Tonight I decided to fire up 2013's PS4 launch gem Resogun, a game I platinum'd back in 2014 and haven't played much since. With a generation of perspective behind me, I felt like seeing how the years had treated it.

Revisiting it tonight, I thought I would put in 10-30 minutes, then start playing some Wreckfest or Crash 4. Funny enough, I ended up dumping three hours into it. Resogun, seven years on, still plays phenomenally well, and the support over the course of the last generation is ridiculous.

Resogun, since 2013, added:

-4K HDR support at 60fps (2017)
-Commando Mode (Resogun Defenders Update in 2015)
-A ship editor (2014)
-Local co-op (2014)
-Challenges
(Photo mode)
-Battle Mode (co-op mode)
-Survival Mode
-Demolition Mode
-Protector Mode
-A Vita and PS3 port by popular demand!

It's so rare for me to look back at the end of a generation and say "You know what, let's crack open a launch game- where's my copy of Sonic Adventure or Pilot Wings," but Housemarque put the work in on this one. The core gameplay loop is tight. Incredibly tight. It always looked great, and the co-op support added post-launch was a blast when working on the road for a reality TV crew (we would live out of a hotel for two months on a given show, and most of the time a few of us would bring a PS4 for Fifa, Resogun, and The Last of Us MP).

Maybe it's the performance of the game, or the soundtrack, or the rarity of score-driven twin stick arcade titles put squarely into my purview as a result of Housemarque's stellar reputation + the extra attention a game gets when it's a launch title... but Resogun still feels remarkably fresh. It's a top 10 of the generation for me, the more I think about it. Kudos, Housemarque!

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
It always amazes me how we didn't get a Resogun 2. Reviews were great for the game and as far as I'm aware the game sold well (well enough that the devs are alive and made a few games after Resogun. Maybe the fact they didn't make a Resogun 2 is an indicator it DIDN'T sell well? Idk)

Nov 13, 2017
Sure, there might be no other launch games that have that kind of support years after release. But I can't imagine a conversation about best launch games of all time that doesn't mention Mario 64, a game that holds up today and defined an entire genre, more than two decades later.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's a fantastic game. Not sure it has the significance of classics such as SMW and Mario 64 though

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Sure, there might be no other launch games that have that kind of support years after release. But I can't imagine a conversation about best launch games of all time that doesn't mention Mario 64, a game that holds up today and defined an entire genre, more than two decades later.

Oh, certainly, I love Mario 64 like it was my own child, but I'm saying Resogun is one of the strongest launch games I can think of. I'm not saying it's the best game out of the bunch that come to mind, I'm just saying that now, as the generation's end draws near, I can safely look back at Resogun as one of those games, if that makes any sense. It's one of the best launch games I can think of. I can easily imagine someone in ten years picking up Resogun and adoring it like a Tetris. I would put Resogun up there next to Soul Caliber and Halo: CE when considering the lens of launch games.

Resogun isn't a "big" game, and it wasn't a technical breakthrough in any conventional matter (although I do love the speaker usage on the DS4), but damn is it a good game. The presentation, the look, the responsiveness, the audio cues- it's all there in concert for the soul purpose of making it a good game to play first and foremost. It just clicks.

I feel like I didn't give it enough credit this generation, but tonight was sort of an eye opener for me. I'm going to play some co-op with a friend this week now.

Last edited:

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
MULTIPLIER UP

This game is so so good. I didn't get a PS4 until well after launch, but man, I could have easily just had this game only on PS4 and be happy for a good long while.

Housemarque made many great games this gen, but if you like Resogun you owe it to yourself to try Nex Machina. Heaps of ideas from Resogun, distilled into almost the perfect arcade game.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great game. The true MVP of that launch for sure. I stayed up playing it for hours on launch night and it was glorious.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Demon's Souls will be for the PS5 gen what Resogun was for PS4. A stellar launch title that people still return to even at the end of the generation.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I loved Resogun, It reminded me of Geometry Wars. It was an Amazing Game that was also a tech demo showing off cool effects.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Best launch title to me would be Soulcalibur for the Dreamcast. Seeing that game for the first time was a next gen moment and it was packed with content. It plays great even today and probably still looks good if played on a VGA monitor.

xii_7

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
One of the best games ever made. It's gonna live on whatever compatible Playstation device I own at the time.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Resogun was really good. It even worked flawlessly coop online as well.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Hot take, but I liked Super Stardust HD (the developer's previous dual stick shmup) a fair bit more. The way that game takes place on a globe just feels more freeing. It's also the only 3D game to ever make me feel like 3D was something important.

And yeah, Geometry Wars is still the GOAT as far as I'm concerned.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
I loved Resogun, but Halo: Combat Evolved, Call of Duty 2, and Breath of the Wild are still my favorite launch games. Luigi's Mansion is up there somewhere.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I think Resogun is a fantastic game, and the best launch game for the PS4 by far. Although I can think of launch games I loved as much if not more, specifically Rogue Leader on Gamecube, which got so much replay from me because games like that seemed to have died in that generation.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I know they're busy on Returnal, but a sneaky 120fps 4k update would be amazing for this game

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty good, it's Defenders final form. Which is why I don't get calls for a sequel, it's already got every modern contrivance you can bolt on to a 39 year old game type, any further actual evolution would have to fundamentally change what makes it work.

Returnal is my most anticipated next gen game though, in Housemarque I trust.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It's pretty good, it's Defenders final form. Which is why I don't get calls for a sequel, it's already got every modern contrivance you can bolt on to a 39 year old game type, any further actual evolution would have to fundamentally change what makes it work.

Games like Resogun stand on its own, they don´t need a sequel.

any yep, besides Deathloop, Returnal is my most anticipated game.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Its an incredible game. Easily in my top 5 of the generation, maybe top 3. I think I must have put in 100 hours plus in to it. Was properly engrossed in it.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I did the same as you OP a couple weeks back and the exact same thing happened, I ended up playing it for more hours than I did at launch.

In terms of launch games that are still great to play in 2020, it's up there with Breath of the Wild and SoulCalibur.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
How does the Vita version stack up by comparison? I never got far through the console one but I'd blast through it on handheld.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I wasn't hugely keen when I tried Matterfall but Resogun, Alienation & Nex Machine are three of my most enjoyable games this generation.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

All the extra modes in the DLC are excellent. A few more modes would justify a sequel to me.

Probably still top 5 PS4 game now seven years later.

Jun 17, 2018
Agreed, I never bought the game as I played it on my friends PS4 at launch for hours. Lots of fun!

Edit: Call of Duty 2 or Condemned on X360 were pretty bloody good launch titles too!

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Now I want to start Resogun again. Haven't played in so long, I'll probably get bodied.

This game just clicked for me in a way other Housemarque games didn't. Even though I may have enjoyed those plenty (Super Stardust HD, Nex Machina).

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
By far my most played PS4 game and still one of the absolute best. Such tight controls and deep scoring system. The weekly challenges gave it a lot of replay value too.
Even better than Super Stardust HD to me which was also a damn excellent game.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I played so much Resogun. Easily my most played PS4 launch title.

"Ready For Deployment" is still one of my favorite title themes.

Also, really, really looking forward to Returnal.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The one and only game for PS4 I got day one, and will play until PS5 is in my home (sadly wasn't able to pre order). I am high in the co-op rankings, for anyone who wants to play online co-op (only thing I do) send me a PM

And here.

Sorry Im gonna let you finish... but Geometry Wars is the best invader type game of all time! :)

Reso is far better IMHO. No going back to Geo Wars again after Reso. But I really enjoyed Geometry Wars a lot too on the 360. It was the Reso of the 360 generation, but Rerso is better.

Great game. The true MVP of that launch for sure. I stayed up playing it for hours on launch night and it was glorious.

And it was FREE with Plus