Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
SPiAMnw.png

Resonance of Fate / End of Eternity (JP)
Developer: tri-Ace
Publisher: tri-Ace
Genre: Role-Playing Game
Platform: PS4 (Digital Only), Steam
Price: $34.99
PC Specs:

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel core i3 2100 / AMD A8-6500
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT630 VRAM 512MB / AMD Radeon R7 250 VRAM 512MB
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 16 GB available space
►4K Texture Pack as an optional download, totaling 83GB◄

RECOMMENDED:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670 / AMD A10-7850K
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX960 VRAM 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 380 VRAM 2GB and over
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 16 GB available space
4K Texture Pack as an optional download, totaling 83GB

Resonance of Fate is one of tri-Ace's most ambitious games, and one of the best RPGs of the PS3/360 era. At first glance, it looks like a mixture of Valkyria Chronicles and a John Woo film, with touches of the Valkyrie Profile 2 battle system. It blends in some of tri-Ace's over-the-top combat mechanics and ideas with endearing characters and a unique world. With myriad systems to dive into, RoF feels like an evolution of their battle system prowess.

Despite this grand pedigree, it was unfortunately overlooked by many. However, it held true in the hearts of those that it resonated with. While the combat system seems incredibly complex and hard to tear open, it's actually quite simple - just poorly explained at first. Now, the game is re-releasing on PS4 and Steam as the 4K/HD edition. The game runs at 60FPS on PS4, and will offer many higher options on PC (performance will vary depending on your rig.) As tri-Ace is porting this game themselves, we can expect to have as many advanced options as the Star Ocean: The Last Hope remaster had.
qKwNjCh.png

Resonance of Fate follows the tale of three mercenaries trying to scrape by in a world far in the future. Countless years ago, the earth became overcome by a miasma. Humanity banded together, eventually constructing the giant tower known as Basel. Around the tower, civilization remained. For centuries, humanity surrounded the tower that seemed to ration everything - food, water, and even life itself. Eventually, man found its way into the tower, and sought to control everything within. Now, many settlements are scattered across Basel and operate by class. The rich and fortunate set well atop the tower, while the poor and downtrodden live closer to the poison-soaked earth below.
PhKsgQx.png

Resonance of Fate is rife with over-the-top action mixed with a strategic battle system that is well worth mastering. With an emphasis on flashy gunplay, the battle system focuses on planning out actions, combining your damage types, and working as a team. While your characters are hailing gunfire down upon your enemies, it's best to think one step ahead and have your next rain of bullets thought out.

E0WXLjh.jpg
Q5UQdLF.jpg

PO0NOEe.jpg
XVeEyR6.jpg

TZsUC6t.png

rnw30Uc.png
8c3KseB.png

While town exploration is largely traditional, exploration of the world is a different beast altogether. The world map is divided up into almost innumerable hexes. You'll gather Energy Hexes via battle and chests and use these to unlock adjacent spaces to ones that are already cleared. Small choke-points can make progress impossible as you may not have the proper Energy Hex quite yet - be fear not, they will rain down soon enough. With many different types and configurations of Energy Hexes, you'll be clearing a path to the objective in no time. You'll also be rewarded for exploring about, as the majority of cosmetic items are hidden away in hexes alongside equipment, additional Energy Hexes, and more.

Dungeons act a bit differently - there are two forms. The first is similar to the world map, yet with no hexes needed. You can enter different parts of the dungeon, rest at save stations, or simply wander about. When you enter an area, you'll explore them as if you were in combat at all times. You're able to move, use hero actions, open crates, and plan your route. One room may be clear of enemies while the next will have half a dozen. Feel free to experiment and explore!

qzMjbpo.png

Battles are a strategic blend of turn based and action. The closest analog would be Valkyria Chronicles + stylish gunplay reminiscent of a John Woo film. Your bread and butter will be utilizing the Hero Action system, which lets you run from one point to another while taking no damage, and perform as many actions as you can within that time. Crossing two characters will grant you Resonance Points, which will allow you to perform group attacks.

KaleidoscopicCalmIndochinahogdeer-size_restricted.gif

As you progress through the game, more options will open up to you. From dual wielding to customizing special grenades to upgrading your weapon with myriad scopes and clips, you'll continue to grow stronger and stronger over the course of the game. In Resonance of Fate, there are two types of damage that can be dealt. Scratch Damage and Direct Damage. Scratch Damage is typically higher, coming exclusively from sub-machine guns (SMGs). You'll want to soften up your enemy with as much scratch damage as you can (You will see their HP gauge filling up with blue) and then attack them with Direct Damage from handguns and explosives to convert Scratch to Direct and kill off the enemy.

XXvpFfY.png

In Resonance of Fate, there are three weapon types.

Handguns
These do low damage in general, but convert Scratch Damage from SMGs to Direct Damage. They are also used to break enemies Gauges and do Direct Damage.

Sub-Machine Guns

These are used to soften your target up with a hail of bullets and load the enemy up with Scratch Damage. They're high-power, rapid fire, but cannot kill an enemy on their own.

Thrown Weapons

These range from fiery molotovs to high power grenades, as well as elemental explosives and the psychologically damaging pile of dung. These are intended to cause status effects, convert Scratch to Direct damage, and even help break parts of enemies and black them up, knock them down, or cancel their actions.

Additionally, you can equip special ammo via your Ammo Case to help you tear through soft flesh, rend hard steel, or spray your enemy with elemental rounds.

zeo2cJx.png

You can craft and dismantle all sorts of things - from weapon parts and gear to healing items and explosives. Upon killing enemies, you'll gain parts that can either be broken down for scrap (and turned into other parts) or combined with other items to create something new. As you progress through the game, you'll have more options available to you - better scopes and barrels, grenades with status effects, armor that protects against the elements, and the like. Eventually, you'll find a loop of raiding a dungeon, destroying enemies for parts, returning to town and crafting new pieces, and selling the rest.

qHEZYfX.png

TEWbTMy.png

dPyvIPa.jpg

Throughout the game, you'll unlock (and discover) more parts to slap onto your weapons. Scopes, clips, magazines, grips, barrels, and more! While customizing your weapons, you'll notice stats going up such as the amount of rounds fired per attack, how accurate they are, how fast your gauge fills, and so on. While your weapons will, without a doubt, look absolutely ridiculous in the menu screen...this doesn't carry over to their actual appearances in battle. Think of the 13 scopes on your weapon as just a visual representation of the amount of upgrades and type of improvements you've done to the scope on your weapon instead of ACTUALLY slapping 13 additional scopes on it.

9972ocX.png

Resonance of Fate follows the story of three guns-for-hire just trying to scrape by. Throughout the game, you'll get a peak into the everyday lives of the trio, from their casual days to their bloody battles. Each character has a past that's chasing behind them, ensuring that the tragedies and failures of darker times never stop haunting them. Regardless, they carry on with a smile on their face.

uWbokjf.png

v0Vg7Fg.png

SRvsAGZ.png

oHVTabl.png

Trailer

Quick and easy to understand basic tutorial for Resonance of Fate's battle system.

Contrary to popular belief, Resonance of Fate's battle system is not overly complicated. All you really need to know are a few things:

Light up your enemies with Scratch Damage (SMGs) and convert it to Direct Damage (Handguns/Explosives) to kill them/break gauges.
Hero Actions take you from point A to point B. You set the path and are invincible for the time it takes to get there. You can attack as much as possible or charge up your attacks for more damage/effects until you reach the end.
Hero Actions take 1 Bezel, and can be replenished by breaking enemies parts or depleting HP bar. You will gain more bezels throughout the game.
Crossing paths with your allies will grant you 1 Resonance Point which are used in tri-Attacks (team attack Hero Actions basically. Everyone runs from Point A to B and continues to the next point based on how many Resonance Points you have.)

Now that you know the basics, hopefully you'll survive. Just make sure your fashion is on point.

Hd0o5ft.jpg

NOTE: PS4 has been delayed in EU until October 23rd. Steam version available now. All other regions are still on track to release today/tomorrow (fuzzy due to region weirdness.)◄◄◄

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Me right now:
latest

Game is available in Steam with a 10% release discount.

Going to wait if it will be available in other storefronts before buying it in Steam. That said, I'm playing this tonight and no one will stop me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Will consider if the PC port is 10/10 and there's a reshade that stops it from looking washed out as hell.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Graphical options seem fairly limited.

Textures: standard/high (high are the download package)
Motion Blur toggle
DoF toggle
Shadows (Standard, X2 and X4)
AA toggle (post process solution I'd imagine)

And that's it. No anisotropic, vsync (seems capped to 60fps). My specs are 6700k 4Ghz, GTX1080.

I've been trying at 4k downsampled in my 1440p monitor since at 1440p there's still plenty of aliasing. Seems to have random slowdowns here and there, not tied to what's happening on screen, you can pass through an area and it slows, you walk backwards and it doesn't. I tested it only for less than 30min, will post more impressions later. In my nose shadows are the performance killer but I didn't have time to test it.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the PS3 version when it was on sale many years ago, sadly never got around to playing this. I wonder if I should buy the PS4 version, since I really want to play this soon (after I'm done with some other games like Dragon Quest XI). I don't have a Pro / 4K TV, so I wonder if the PS3 version would still be sufficient.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Is JP dub included (PC version)? It'll probably be added by mods anyway but it would be nice to have it day 1.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks almost monochromatic if I go by the pictures you posted. Is it a little more colorful than that?

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What's with this thread title? We need some dank meme references like

Recock your trusty magnum
All we have are raisins, damn you woman!
Those bunker busters? It doesn't get any more real than that!

Love this game. Unfortunately have no time to replay it, but one day for sure.

Always remember that you can move the gun in the edit screen and that jumping allows you to hit both the inner and outer rings of armour. Get two Machine guns on someone as fast as you can and let them rip and tear.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks almost monochromatic if I go by the pictures you posted. Is it a little more colorful than that?

There were very few town or dungeon images in the press kit, but some areas are much more colorful than others. There is a lot of brown and grey simply because of the make-up of the tower (a lot of steel, etc.)There are icy / snowy areas, brightly lit parks, cozy warm cafes and bars, and so on.

The trailer shows a bit more so give it a look!

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember buying this game used at gamestop maybe 5 years ago, playing it for a day and being absolutely confused by the battle system (and I had played tons of JRPGs by this time). I returned that shit quick.

I hear it's a cult classic tho and the Gun kata stuff looks cool, so I might pick it up again and bang my head at it. Did the same thing when Mega Man games kicked my ass as a kid, then I grew up a bit and tried them again finding them much easier to manage.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
What's with this thread title? We need some dank meme references like

Recock your trusty magnum
All we have are raisins, damn you woman!
Those bunker busters? It doesn't get any more real than that!

Love this game. Unfortunately have no time to replay it, but one day for sure.

Always remember that you can move the gun in the edit screen and that jumping allows you to hit both the inner and outer rings of armour. Get two Machine guns on someone as fast as you can and let them rip and tear.

Hm, I had many choices for a title including meme/joke stuff but I tend to shy away from jokey titles. In JP version, the win screen is Still Alive instead of Victory. I felt Still Alive better fits the tone of the story (Leanne especially), the world, and tri-Ace in general.

Other options were something conveying John Woo x Valkyria but I didn't want to oversell it.

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been 6 years since I played this, gosh. Just downloaded it and started it up.

Remember to do your quests/missions before the chapter ends, because IIRC you can't go back and do them and they become unavailable once you progress.

I'd forgotten how much the opening scene evokes FFIX and the early scenes of that game.

Seems like there's no way to exit the game other than Alt F4?

Gonna try ReShade now.