• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
"There are a lot of people that are like 'hey where's the weekly updates, Fortnite does this.' And it's like, we're not set up to do that. We never intended to."

- Respawn CEO Vince Zampella talks about finding a balance between player appetites and efficient development

More in the article but they essentially explain the pace of updates of Apex Legends.

Source: Gamasutra

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good

Lets not kill devs in smaller teams just so we feel like we always need to play a certain game

Go play something else for a while

Jun 12, 2018
Incoming: a ton of people acting like the game is about to die, when by all intents and purposes the devs are very satisfied with the state of the game's popularity and their plan for its future.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
People should also know that Respawn is making:

- A VR game
- A titanfall game
- Jedi Fallen Order
- Apex Legends post-game content.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Good.
I´m still playing the game every day, it`s freaking brilliant.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
"We, infact, do not want our developers working in a Hell World"

Quality of their seasonal content still needs to be considerably better, though.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle for the devs but, maybe hire more people? The game should be raking in bank, surely.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm going to be honest here in saying I don't think anyone expected them to be able to put out updates remotely as close to Fortnite's pace, nor did they think that a season model is bad. I think the issue is more the season pass just wasn't that good.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
They just got to communicate better with the community. Everybody thought they were foinf to fornite atyke updates. But if they aint they really should have been more upfront so people wouldnt be so caught off guard.

TrueBroLapp

Nov 7, 2018
Weekly updates aren't even that fun for me. I can't keep up. I stop playing to play some single player or to deal with some life stuff, and when I came back so much has changed or I have lost some cool update... I dropped Fortnite because of this.

I'm happy that Apex is doing something more approachable, but hopefully the future updates will be bigger than their first one, because it was barelly anything different.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
They just got to communicate better with the community. Everybody thought they were foinf to fornite atyke updates. But if they aint they really should have been more upfront so people wouldnt be so caught off guard.

I'm sure they said on Reddit as well that they would be giving daily updates on progress, but that never happened. Probably soured the community from the get-go.

Saying that, one look at Reddit and it's easy to understand why people don't want to be posting there.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
This is good to hear, but it also points towards a serious problem with the business model of certain GaaS type of games. When the business model inherently leads to problematic labor conditions we should talk about the viability of that business model.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Fortnite "crunch" makes other GaaS games look bad, and that's not good. What fortnite is doing is abnormal for the industry imo.

Sure they are paying good money but you're burning people out. They know the minute they go to a regular pace they will no longer be king of the hill.

I just wish gamers stopped saying "well fortnite does it"

That shit shouldn't be the standard.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, well, good for the devs, but also, it won't do as well and may wind up being bad for the team in the long run.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, well maybe that should have stated before getting into the BR space?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Props to Respawn.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/po...onths-of-intense-crunch-at-epic-games.113094/

Epic has more updates but at what cost? Developers work hard, crunch isn't needed. Gamers can wait a few months for more content.

But can I get something?

I don't mind waiting, but I want a reason to play it.

Hopefully the Season 2 Battlepass is better. I think they will listen to feedback and do better. But imo the game is still great and fun to play.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Ok, well maybe that should have stated before getting into the BR space?

Because you are supposed to release content every week?
Are you aware that only Fornite does this, not even PUBG or a lot of GAAS titles release content every week and they are doing more than fine.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a game like this, unfortunately I see no way to stay relevant in that genre without constant updates

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda wonder how it would help them to have a public roadmap page, like a Trello or something.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it freaks me up that some gamers need constant weekly updates to stay interested. If the game loop is fun, I can play ad vitam.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate they're not set up for this, but why not just aggressively expand and invest more into the studio the way Epic did for Fortnite? They don't need Fortnite level updates, just far better support and content offerings that what they have at present.

Few ever get lightning in a bottle titles the way Respawn has with Apex here, and I feel like the pace at which they're updating or producing new meaningful content for this game is massively diminishing it's potential, both in terms of the game and its financial income potential, not to mention the scope or retention of its concurrent user base.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
"just hire more people" lol.

The instant success was obviously not planned for or expected. It would be nice to have more frequent and better updates but that takes time and resources. It's not even been 3 months since the release yet. People are way too eager to compare it to Fortnite which has insane levels of support and as recently reported, insane levels of crunch to reach them too.

Respawn are a great dev team and I'm sure they're aware of expectations after the reception to the weak battle pass. Hopefully future the seasonal big updates bring back interest and are better received.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
What incredible timing for this. As long as you're not treating your devs like those other guys, then yeah I'm all for waiting until the content is good and ready.

hastethedav

Apr 2, 2018
i still play it daily, but it is getting a bit stale.

Not expecting weekly updates, but would like some variety - the battlepass was kind of a dud. I still bought it because i do love the gameplay.

We need some map updates - didn't the season 1 stuff look like repulsor broke/got knocked down? just some variety - even the slightest could do wonders for my personal intrigue.

That being said - I hope this works out for them in the long run, haven't enjoyed a shooter like this since Siege came out

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017

Did they ever mention doing that? I dont remember, but dont think its fair to hold them to that standard if they never said anything like that.

And i'm glad they'd rather have a decent worplace environment instead of working their employees to the bone.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you ask me, fuck mobile games and Fortnite for making so many gamers expect non-stop updates to their games at such a rapid pace.

I'm old at this point, but I appreciate it when a game stays the same for at least a few weeks.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
In a game like this, unfortunately I see no way to stay relevant in that genre without constant updates
I mean I don't agree with that at all. If the season pass had have been a bit better I think people would be a lot happier with the situation. I think a season model can work perfectly fine assuming that some interesting things get added with it. It's just the first season pass for Apex just wasn't that good, it added a new character and a new gun(okay the weapon came a bit before but I'm including it anyway) which is great, but everything else was a bit lackluster. The progression just feels rather slow even when playing, and the rewards themselves aren't amazing since almost half the stuff feels like titles that only show up at the start/end of a game.

Hopefully they do manage to improve with the next season.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love the hero and weapon balance after the last patch. They've been making extremely deliberate changes.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Thank. You.

Not every game can or should be fortnite.

This same issue plagues Destiny 2's community. Not to say Bungie doesn't have problems with being slow to address some things, but I feel fortnite has produced some really bad expectations that are beginning to be normalized in the industry. It doesn't seem healthy at all.

I'm also constantly confused by people who are obsessed with only playing one game. Like they want to not even be allowed to do something else.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with that. Good on them.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe ya know, EA should have bankrolled the hiring of more people for their mega hit once in a million game that sent their stock price surging 20$ a share?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Thank. You.

Not every game can or should be fortnite.

This same issue plagues Destiny 2's community. Not to say Bungie doesn't have problems with being slow to address some things, but I feel fortnite has produced some really bad expectations that are beginning to be normalized in the industry. It doesn't seem healthy at all.

I'm also constantly confused by people who are obsessed with only playing one game. Like they want to not even be allowed to do something else.
Destiny 2 got heavily criticized cuz Warframe was eating it's lunch during the slow period.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Apex Legends is fun. I don't play it these days, but it's the type of game that I'm happy to re-install if they add a cool update because I already know it's fun and it's free so why not. I'm happy to wait and I'm glad Respawn are taking their time with it.

People are getting increasingly impatient because of how much is on demand and how much is instantly at their finger tips, and it's a worrying trend for companies which can't fulfill that same demand as larger ones can and, like here, get knocked for it.