• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Fortnite "crunch" makes other GaaS games look bad, and that's not good. What fortnite is doing is abnormal for the industry imo.

Sure they are paying good money but you're burning people out. They know the minute they go to a regular pace they will no longer be king of the hill.

I just wish gamers stopped saying "well fortnite does it"

That shit shouldn't be the standard.
Thank you...

It's going to hurt a lot of people chasing that model.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Mad respect to Zampella for standing by his employees, but I can't help but think Respawn is going to get gutted as soon as Andrew Wilson has to explain to the shareholders why the studio isn't making them Fortnite money.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
This same issue plagues Destiny 2's community. Not to say Bungie doesn't have problems with being slow to address some things, but I feel fortnite has produced some really bad expectations that are beginning to be normalized in the industry. It doesn't seem healthy at all.

I'm also constantly confused by people who are obsessed with only playing one game. Like they want to not even be allowed to do something else.

Destiny 2 is impossible to keep up with if you play other games now. It's one of the many things killing my love of the game. I miss D1's sporadic milestone content drops that would get me playing the game obsessively for short bursts, spread out over the year.

Hell, there were days when I considered a map pack for Halo 3 to be a huge event. I hate continuous content. Let me fucking breathe for a minute. Give me time enough to actually build anticipation for new stuff.

This shit isn't just bad for devs, it actively exhausts me as a player.

Feb 12, 2019
I'm alright with this as long as Season 2's battlepass is more interesting than Season 1's. That level 100 havoc skin is nice and all, but unless I play for 3-4 hours every day for the rest of the season there's no way I'm going to make it.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
After reading that Polygon article, I am perfectly okay with that. The game is good and I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Part of the problem with Apex isn't necessarily the lack of big huge change-the-game updates, but how the entire unlock and pass system leaves the userbase feeling absolutely cold and has turned away a hell of a lot of casuals.

Its possible to play the game for 100's of hours and not have one legendary skin out of unlocks, only terrible voice quips or animated banner gifs instead. Then after playing for hours, watch a little red bar go up by a 1/6th and experience no Bar-Going-Up endorphins getting released at all. If you have the other problem and have brute forced your way through the entire bar and got to the end of the Season Pass already, there is no actual way to earn any more cosmetics at all.

The Unlock system is broken at both ends, and it doesn't take a gigantic seasonal update to fix that. It requires whoever is in charge of that side to admit they got it wrong and change the rates, add extra incentives to winning matches, and keep the game a fluidly rewarding mechanism and keep players on the hook. Respawn keeps struggling with this time and time again and it's gotten old.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe ya know, EA should have bankrolled the hiring of more people for their mega hit once in a million game that sent their stock price surging 20$ a share?
This kind of comment doesn't help either. Reactive hiring surges have a high risk of being unsustainable and they'll just end up as part of another lay off story in a year or two. And even if they did immediately hire a lot of people, I don't believe anyone who's had an actual office job really thinks new employees actually start contributing much for the first 3-6 months.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Who the fuck wants weekly updates? That sounds insane. I like when team fortress would do an update every 6 months or so, that way you aren't dealing with a constantly changing meta and can actually figure out what works and what doesn't before it all changes again.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of comment doesn't help either. Reactive hiring surges have a high risk of being unsustainable and they'll just end up as part of another lay off story in a year or two. And even if they did immediately hire a lot of people, I don't believe anyone who's had an actual office job really thinks new employees actually start contributing much for the first 3-6 months.
Yep and the same people will react to the firings saying why didn't ea show more restraint and foresight

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 is impossible to keep up with if you play other games now. It's one of the many things killing my love of the game. I miss D1's sporadic milestone content drops that would get me playing the game obsessively for short bursts, spread out over the year.

Hell, there were days when I considered a map pack for Halo 3 to be a huge event. I hate continuous content. Let me fucking breathe for a minute. Give me time enough to actually build anticipation for new stuff.

Did you like vanilla D2? Bungie can't have another Destiny go almost an entire year with barely any meaningful content.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know they're trying to avoid crunch and are hoping for updates to be a bit meatier than last time.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not being facetious, how is it different than any other art or entrainment product? Movies and music all are contracted for the one project and then you move on.

If you believe you have the next mega huge hit, you higher more people to sustain it. Or divert resources from elsewhere like the FIFA loot box thing, not that that had a positive effect on Anthem.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You can be against crunch and hope that a multiplayer game makes well timed adjustments that satisfy and boosts the community.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Did you like vanilla D2? Bungie can't have another Destiny go almost an entire year with no meaningful content.

I didn't like launch D2, but that was more about the quality of the content rather than the quantity. I did like launch D1 and I know I'm at odds with most of the community about that. I just fundamentally have a different appetite for content than most folks I guess.

I will admit that running strike playlists is more fun in D1 than D2, due to the greater number of strikes in the pool.

edit: I guess I should also specify that I played a lot of Crucible, which probably helped inoculate me from the content thirst exclusive PvE players suffered from.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think it'll be fine with how they plan to support it.

It just means that it is something I'll put on the backburner and occasionally go back to when some new stuff hits, and I don't have any issue with that whatsoever.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
I understand the frustration with the hardcore crowd running out of "carrots" on the stick. As a filthy casual though, I am glad I can still pop in for a few games from time to time and get excited about getting Apex packs when I level up.

At the end of the day, if people are only playing for progression, they should move on to something that will reward their time. For me, just playing the game with some buddies is fun and makes for memorable moments quite often. I applaud Respawn for that.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe ya know, EA should have bankrolled the hiring of more people for their mega hit once in a million game that sent their stock price surging 20$ a share?

I'm all for trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle for the devs but, maybe hire more people? The game should be raking in bank, surely.
Seriously. Crunch isn't not shouldnt be the only way to keep a steady flow of content, the fact they didn't immediately get all hands on deck for a mega hit like this is wild. I wish respawn the best they make good dames but they have a serious long term retention problem with their games.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio

Destiny 2 has such a ridiculous amount of content now that it kind of puts other games to shame. It is really amazing the turn around Bungie did with this game in just one year. Them giving Activision the bye Felicia treatment is just the cherry on top.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Not being facetious, how is it different than any other art or entrainment product? Movies and music all are contracted for the one project and then you move on.

If you believe you have the next mega huge hit, you higher more people to sustain it. Or divert resources from elsewhere like the FIFA loot box thing, not that that had a positive effect on Anthem.
Moving to even more contractors is a completely backwards step for workers rights. The movie industry has unions.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
In a game like this, unfortunately I see no way to stay relevant in that genre without constant updates

As long as the game is making money, it's relevant.

The game doesn't need to be on Fortnite's level of popularity to succeed. This is like when everyone trashed any game that couldn't match WoW's numbers back in the day, even though many MMO devs were more than happy with the results of their sales and income that kept them going and profitable.

Yea no, you can't just magically toss money and more employees at a studio and expect it to work. There is limits to how effective a studio is, jamming it with constant new employees can have the total opposite effect on the quality of work and the workplace QoL conditions. Growth has tons of factors that affect a studio.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
People acting like Apex suddenly turned into a bad game because it hasn't dangled enough jingling cat toys on a stick in front of its audience. It's fine to get bored and stop playing, especially if you've put 100+ hours into it already. There's no rush to get things out the door for the gaming consumption culture to be done with in a week and demand more, it's okay to take breaks.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It does need game modes that rotate and events that shift/change. Aside from that I think its fine.

Neolombax

Nov 28, 2018
Good for him and his team taking this stance. I think maybe sometimes people demand too much too soon, nowadays especially.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Epic shut down a game and severely slowed the non BR development of Fortnite when the BR side exploded. Even they are worried they put the eggs in a single basket, thus the rush to stablish EGS by hook or crook.

Respawn has a lot of other projects and has a relationship with a publisher, they can't do the same. Also since Apex came out of the left field I think they might be ahead of what EA projected they would do, so carrying on with the original plan instead of reacting to a potential short term success is probably best for their studio and the sanity of their team. The only complain I have is I would have liked the skins offered via their first season pass to look better and for less grind to level up. But I'm sure this will be rectified in the next season.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Good for them and I'm sure it will do well. They have the exact same seasonal schedule as R6 Siege which is a very successful game and praised for its support.

OP
OP
No_Style

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
The just "hire more people" crowd need to explain to me how to instantly train and transfer knowledge to new people so they instantly create content.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
IMO People ared leaving because the season content is bad not because it's taking too long

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate their stance on respecting the people who make the actual content.

I would've been fine with the game cooking longer altogether so the first season pass was stronger. It's just not very good. But the game itself very much is, so however long it takes i hope the next one hits it out of the park.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I dont mind seasonal updates, I just want a good reason to buy a battlepass. Give me some good skins! ;)

Hopefully S2 is better.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I can respect that and have no issue with the pace of the updates if it means a healthier work place and a better quality game.

The skins they are peddling are complete crap though. Most of them are just copies onto different guns. The least they can do is give us some good looking cosmetics and a better battle pass system. The current one is grindy as can be, and all the rewards suck.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Sounds good to me.

I really don't mind waiting for the next season as long as the quality is satisfying when it does come out.

I think the first season came out too close to the game's release so they didn't have time to make the stuff they wanted. I have high hopes for season 2 though, better skins, new modes and so on.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
There could be a happy medium. Weekly updates are insane and not reasonable to chase that rate, but every other week or even monthly of small (a new weapon, or one revamped location) would be preferable.

I'm definitely bored of Apex. Battle Royales in general just feel really repetitive.