• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Good for them/their developers, guess people like me (update cravers) are not their target consumer and that's fine

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
There is still no excuse not to have duos or solos yet. I play the game A LOT but they knew their season 1 battle pass was shit. No excuses for that either. I won't be spending any money on cosmetics on this game going forward until they don't cost a crazy $18 and I can still earn apex packs past level 100.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Well RIP Apex Legends I guess.

There is still no excuse not to have duos or solos yet. I play the game A LOT but they knew their season 1 battle pass was shit. No excuses for that either. I won't be spending any money on cosmetics on this game going forward until they don't cost a crazy $18 and I can still earn apex packs past level 100.
Yeah there is. There is quite literally no need for those modes. The game is made for Trios. Solos doesnt make sense and duos isn't needed. It just splits the player base.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Good for them.

The big problem here is that everyone (me included) thinks it needs to rake in 80's cocaine druglord money every day or its an utter failure,

At this point its absolutely made its money back tenfold if what they say about the development is true (made internally without EA just to see if they could pull it off). It won't beat Fortnite, but its crazy we are at a point where a game can't just be content with being successful and making money, IT NEEDS TO BE A BLOCKBUSTER MAKING ALL THE MONEY, lol.

As long as it stays popular and I can get a match asap, let the guys who made it actually like..get to see their kids, get to play video games on their own time, and get to go on vacay. It doesn't have to be number one, number ten, or even number 20 as long as its healthy and cash comes in for a long period of time

Won

Oct 27, 2017
It still has one of the most fucked up business models in the industry and then they insisted on slapping a terrible version of the Fortnite model on top of that.

You are not gonna get any applause from me there. You can respect both the devs and the customer.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Legit question - we all know the negative effects on game development when new programmers are hired (9 women can't deliver a baby in a month), but does this issue still remain with concept artists/3d modellers for skins and cosmetics? Why can't they hire more artists to pump out way more skins for people to unlock? Surely this would fix the progression issue somewhat.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is. There is quite literally no need for those modes. The game is made for Trios. Solos doesnt make sense and duos isn't needed. It just splits the player base.
I mean come on, not everyone has two other people around at a given moment to play.

My friend and I can't always get a third and honestly it gets utterly tiring having a pug. A lot of the time you get people who pass the jump master on to you, follow you down without separating, steal all the loot from the spot/building where you landed, runs off on their own getting attacked, and when you try and help them, they leave after dying meaning you put yourself in a compromising spot for no reason.

Having duos or solos would solve this problem instantly. They don't have to force themselves to play in a group when they clearly don't want to, and I don't have to put up with people who don't want to play as a group.

You may not have this problem, but that doesn't mean those modes shouldn't exist. The modes were even data mined at some point, so it's not like the devs don't want it at all either.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean I'm going to be honest here in saying I don't think anyone expected them to be able to put out updates remotely as close to Fortnite's pace, nor did they think that a season model is bad. I think the issue is more the season pass just wasn't that good.
You should get out of your head that it's not about the battlepass... the bad battlepass didn't make the base game bad... so many people talking about it... while it's a really bad battlepass it shouldn't be the reason some people stopped playing the game... it's just fucking cosmetic for god sake

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
It's a good move. As much as I'd like the game to have more content, I don't want it to be at the expense of heavy crunch.

Fuck that noise.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
You should get out of your head that it's not about the battlepass... the bad battlepass didn't make the base game bad... so many people talking about it... while it's a really bad battlepass it shouldn't be the reason some people stopped playing the game... it's just fucking cosmetic for god sake
You do realise that "it's just fucking cosmetics for god sake" is the way they make money, and the way they keep people invested in the game right lol. It may mean nothing to you, but that doesn't mean other people don't care about it to some degree...

Besides if you'd have read my later post before angrily responding I even qualified I also mean the content that came out as part of the season, not just the battle pass itself. They added 1 gun a bit before the season started, 1 character and the season pass, which is less than what people had hoped considering the season pass doesn't really contain much that's great.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The trouble is that BRs naturally have a higher maintenance threshold for their gameplay than other genres. Every match takes 60 people, a ton of those people will need to be able to join a brand new match relatively quickly afterwards, and there's no mid-match joining. That takes a far larger consistent playerbase for stability/rapidity of matchmaking than something like, say, Siege. Because of that need for a larger, consistent playerbase, they have to reach for more people, including those who derive fun from progression and cosmetics, in addition to the base gameplay.
When a bad battlepass comes out, the gameplay itself is still good, sure, but the people who are getting that marginal boost from the cosmetic chase go off and find somewhere else to do that. Why play a game that they find to have good gameplay and bad cosmetics when they could be playing a game where it has, to them, good gameplay and good cosmetics? So they leave, and it starts a snowball effect on the playerbase from the aforementioned maintenance drop off. Players leave, which means it takes a little longer to find a match, so the willingness to play starts getting lower for people who don't even care about cosmetic, and it...well, yeah. Snowballs.

This isn't even getting into the finance side of things either. But cosmetics are a huge, huge deal.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
This just makes me enjoy Respawn even more. I would however like more communication from the team across all sorts of topics. 😀

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean come on, not everyone has two other people around at a given moment to play.

My friend and I can't always get a third and honestly it gets utterly tiring having a pug. A lot of the time you get people who pass the jump master on to you, follow you down without separating, steal all the loot from the spot/building where you landed, runs off on their own getting attacked, and when you try and help them, they leave after dying meaning you put yourself in a compromising spot for no reason.

Having duos or solos would solve this problem instantly. They don't have to force themselves to play in a group when they clearly don't want to, and I don't have to put up with people who don't want to play as a group.

You may not have this problem, but that doesn't mean those modes shouldn't exist. The modes were even data mined at some point, so it's not like the devs don't want it at all either.
Having Solos and Duos would create far worse problems like splitting playerbases. If you want a solo experience go play something else.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know anyone that cares about a game getting a weekly patch. Apex having the worst servers out of all its competitors, no options for playing with friends, ugly character designs, and no cosmetics worth paying for or working toward are the problems they need to worry about.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably too busy having them crunch on their other projects.

Having Solos and Duos would create far worse problems like splitting playerbases. If you want a solo experience go play something else.

PUBG doesn't have a problem and that has 4 maps, 3 party sizes, and 2 modes.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know anyone that cares about a game getting a weekly patch. Apex having the worst servers out of all its competitors, no options for playing with friends, ugly character designs, and no cosmetics worth paying for or working toward are the problems they need to worry about.
I agree that a lot of the unlockable skins arent very good, but i think the actual character designs are the most interesting ones in the entire Shooter marker.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that's the case for many, but I can't remember an apex thread that wasn't full of people making a comparison to the speed at which epic updates fortnite when criticizing apex.
More annoying is when bringing up that Fortnite started off slow and hearing that it's not 2017 anymore and things have to come out quick. Like, damn. Glad I don't have any of those people as a boss.

I would say it has problems. Despite being Steam game that's top 1 or 2 at nearly all times, there are times of day (like early morning EST) where it's just completely dead. Talking about minutes to get a match going and having it start with 30 players. That is not something happening in Apex, thankfully.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I never really followed Fortnites rise to success, but how long did it take them to put out it's first BP? Was it good and what is the cadence of there updates at the moment?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I never really followed Fortnites rise to success, but how long did it take them to put out it's first BP? Was it good and what is the cadence of there updates at the moment?
Fortnite added battle royale two months after launch, one month after that was the first official season, which ran from october to December. One icon and glider were added in that time.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Good. Frankly, the need for everything to have constant content and engagement is mind numbing. I understand it from a business perspective, because if consumers are spending money, you want it to be on you.

But, at the same time, if that need is killing your workers and causing absolute burnout it's not worth it long term. Eventually, you run out of bodies and the drive and desire for striving to be better is gone from those who remain.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good for them.

The big problem here is that everyone (me included) thinks it needs to rake in 80's cocaine druglord money every day or its an utter failure,

At this point its absolutely made its money back tenfold if what they say about the development is true (made internally without EA just to see if they could pull it off). It won't beat Fortnite, but its crazy we are at a point where a game can't just be content with being successful and making money, IT NEEDS TO BE A BLOCKBUSTER MAKING ALL THE MONEY, lol.

As long as it stays popular and I can get a match asap, let the guys who made it actually like..get to see their kids, get to play video games on their own time, and get to go on vacay. It doesn't have to be number one, number ten, or even number 20 as long as its healthy and cash comes in for a long period of time
Theres a huge difference between thinking that it should be making that much money and recognizing they're leaving that money on the table.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Theres a huge difference between thinking that it should be making that much money and recognizing they're leaving that money on the table.
There's always more to squeeze. Eventually it comes down to deciding how much it's worth to you. They've decided it isnt worth sacrificing their work culture.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm all for supporting this. Personal health and life should always come before work.

That said - it doesn't explain the poor communication and middling quality of said updates, of which Vince even states the idea of this was to raise the quality. I'm all for waiting longer for good stuff if it's communicated effectively and means for a better quality of work life for the staff.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, and epic literally killed every other projuct and shifted focus entirely to fortnite. Gotta milk that cash cow epic.

UT and Paragon were dead anyway, I played a fair bit of that latest UT they tried to put out and no one was interested. Paragon was a cool take on a moba but it's player base was tiny by the end.

It's hardly comparable to respawn who have their own well lived franchise and a deal to make a Star Wars game.

Epic also make the engine that their game runs on and have recently launched a store front, it's not like all they are doing is pumping out fortnite and nothing else at all.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017

PUBG does. If you arent in EU US or China you dont find games on most of the modes on your local servers. In OCE you'd be lucky to find an FPP game at all.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Come on. The player base is no where near that small. People can shout doom and gloom about the game, but it isn't in that bad of a situation.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with seasonal updates in principle, but if S01 is a blueprint for their future seasons it won't be enough or even close. My main issue is a lack of roadmap though, it's incredibly frustrating not to know whether they're going to ramp things up substantially or not and it's the main thing pushing me from the game. Bigger concern in the immediate sense it that the game suffers from substantial technical issues which don't really feel like they're getting better over time.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
UT and Paragon were dead anyway, I played a fair bit of that latest UT they tried to put out and no one was interested. Paragon was a cool take on a moba but it's player base was tiny by the end.

It's hardly comparable to respawn who have their own well lived franchise and a deal to make a Star Wars game.

Epic also make the engine that their game runs on and have recently launched a store front, it's not like all they are doing is pumping out fortnite and nothing else at all.

Epic are pretty much completely focused on fortnite.

True about respawn though.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Epic are pretty much completely focused on fortnite.

True about respawn though.

Yeah, true I just don't think dropping paragon was any great loss and it gets brought up a lot, I also think it would be foolish for Respawn and EA to go after fortnite at this point, sure it took a dip on twitch when Apex came out, but fortnite is beyond games at this point. Epic are in a unique position with fortnite that pretty much no other developer would find themselves in.

I think lots of people are perplexed by how Apex shot out the gate then immediately became underwhelming in the space of about 1 month. I want to keep playing it but its a game I can only play with friends, I know it doesn't NEED solo or duo but many people would play it more if it did.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, true I just don't think dropping paragon was any great loss and it gets brought up a lot, I also think it would be foolish for Respawn and EA to go after fortnite at this point, sure it took a dip on twitch when Apex came out, but fortnite is beyond games at this point. Epic are in a unique position with fortnite that pretty much no other developer would find themselves in.

I think lots of people are perplexed by how Apex shot out the gate then immediately became underwhelming in the space of about 1 month. I want to keep playing it but its a game I can only play with friends, I know it doesn't NEED solo or duo but many people would play it more if it did.

Oh I totally agree about fortnite. It's in a completely different stratosphere. It's a phenomenon.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I don't expect Respawn employees to over work, or do unhealthy things.

But EA is sleeping...

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Good on Zampella for actually using his influence to avoid inhumane working conditions. Should be a low bar to clear, but this is video game industry we're talking about. Can't say I'm happy about the content in the battle pass, but I'm still loving playing the game, and the latest balance update is pretty good. Makes me optimistic about how Respawn will handle that issue in the future. I'm fine with the pace they're at because I have other games to play and other things to do, and I know that the core of Apex Legends is rock solid so I can keep coming back to it.