• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Theres a huge difference between thinking that it should be making that much money and recognizing they're leaving that money on the table.

There isn't though. You can theoretically "always" leave more money on the table in the short term which is what everyone wants, content and shit to grind/buy for now. Im using this to critique the corporate culture in the states in general, for shareholder you can always lay off X amount of employees/cut x amount of corners in QA/trade x amount for cheaper ingredients or build quality today to look like a leaner company and have the stock go up but long term...

The question is do people really think that Vince and them are leaving 5 hours early, crumpling up resume's and throwing it in the trash while playing wastebasket basketball.

We can't complain about all the games that had potential that got rushed to their deaths but when a developer is like "this is the pace we are comfortable with" be like too slow!

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Probably too busy having them crunch on their other projects.

PUBG doesn't have a problem and that has 4 maps, 3 party sizes, and 2 modes.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Everyone ITT is so quick to celebrate that Respawn is allegedly not putting their team through the wringer, churning out weekly content for Apex. Meanwhile, they DO have a multitude of other projects in development. I wouldn't be too surprised if their staff was under serious crunch and pressure, having to juggle so much at once.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
The only content update I need is solo's and I can wait a year for that.. But can they please fix the lag and performance issues. It's unbearable.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
The only content update I need is a different mode. The "mined" Recruit and Survival modes sounded absolutely amazing. Standard BR is so damn boring for me but Apex has superb art-style, characters and that perfect shoot feel that i enjoy it.

New modes and proper fixes to the lag and hit detection and i'm back in.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I agree that a lot of the unlockable skins arent very good, but i think the actual character designs are the most interesting ones in the entire Shooter marker.
I would agree if you said the character backgrounds. The diversity of the cast is fantastic, but they pretty much all look bad and make me not want to collect the boring skins they put out for each character.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
This is all well and good but they need to give us new modes at the bare minumum. If they want to add new legends and guns every season that's fine but atleast give us modes.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I think they just need to uncap the levels and give non battle pass people something to advance. Even if it's a trickle of more boxes.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't play any BR games before Apex and so I'm not conditioned to expect weekly updates. I didn't ever think that was going to be the schedule and haven't been demanding it. It's looking like we will only be getting one character this Battle Pass, and one gun before it launched, and I was expecting something more than that though, I guess. I'm ready for a new character now, Octane already feels old, and the season isn't over until Mid-June? Just feels like a really long time from now without anything new. I've had a lot of fun with the game and I am looking forward to playing a lot more of it but I think that once I finish off the Battle Pass I probably won't boot it up again until Season 2 starts.

Last edited:

Zebra1L

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
they just need to fix the annoying lags and audio-bugs in the beginning of a match. the core gameplay is so much fun imo

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not so much dev health, it's devops maturity. I don't think respawn has the necessary tooling and infrastructure to release new content, even if they had infinite developers.

What Fortnite accomplished is unique in so many ways.

Oct 29, 2017
Weekly updates for video games are literally insane. How do people keep up? Nothing better to do? Not to mention the obvious developer crunch time. Monthly/seasonal updates sound much better

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I don't have a problem with seasonal updates in principle, but if S01 is a blueprint for their future seasons it won't be enough or even close. My main issue is a lack of roadmap though, it's incredibly frustrating not to know whether they're going to ramp things up substantially or not and it's the main thing pushing me from the game. Bigger concern in the immediate sense it that the game suffers from substantial technical issues which don't really feel like they're getting better over time.
We've gotten a roadmap though. For example, we know that there is still one more character and one more weapon coming this season, as well as the hinted map changes.

Vexingsruzz

Oct 29, 2017
Apex Legends has become my go to game to kill a couple of hours. It's fun and if Respawn wants to develop content at a rate that allows them reasonable hours and polished content, I'm all for it.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
After that reveal of EPIC damn near killing its staff, you can't really blame them. Just gotta make sure the updates are substantial.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I can't help but to think this is some PR talk to get APEX in the favor of gamers. If true, this is awesome and good on Respawn. I also hope this extends to their other teams. Not just their APEX team. If this isn't true and it is just an excuse as to the slower updates, but their workers are still crunching, then that is bad.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I didn't play any BR games before Apex and so I'm not conditioned to expect weekly updates. I didn't ever think that was going to be the schedule and haven't been demanding it. It's looking like we will only be getting one character this Battle Pass, and one gun before it launched, and I was expecting something more than that though, I guess. I'm ready for a new character now, Octane already feels old, and the season isn't over until Mid-June? Just feels like a really long time from now without anything new. I've had a lot of fun with the game and I am looking forward to playing a lot more of it but I think that once I finish off the Battle Pass I probably won't boot it up again until Season 2 starts.
There's still one more character and weapon coming before the end of this season.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite "crunch" makes other GaaS games look bad, and that's not good. What fortnite is doing is abnormal for the industry imo.

Sure they are paying good money but you're burning people out. They know the minute they go to a regular pace they will no longer be king of the hill.

I just wish gamers stopped saying "well fortnite does it"

That shit shouldn't be the standard.
I wish more people understood this point, but sadly, most of the Fortnite user base are little kids with no knowledge about how their games get made and how the world works, they just want to play with their new updated toy now and nothing else matters. I'm hopeful for a future where parents try at least to explain this kind of things to their children.

Personally, I'm totally fine on how Apex Legends is structuring their future content, they are a "small" team, and while the latest cosmetic additions have been underwhelming, they can keep the solid gameplay flowing.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I wish more people understood this point, but sadly, most of the Fortnite user base are little kids with no knowledge about how their games get made and how the world works, they just want to play with their new updated toy now and nothing else matters. I'm hopeful for a future where parents try at least to explain this kind of things to their children.

Personally, I'm totally fine on how Apex Legends is structuring their future content, they are a "small" team, and while the latest cosmetic additions have been underwhelming, they can keep the solid gameplay flowing.
It's not just little kids, I heard game industry and streamers saying this on....for example....Destiny and Division podcasts.

"Why can't we get content as quick as Fortnite"

Probably because Massive and Bungie actually cares about their employees well beings. It's an unreal production goal.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There isn't though. You can theoretically "always" leave more money on the table in the short term which is what everyone wants, content and shit to grind/buy for now. Im using this to critique the corporate culture in the states in general, for shareholder you can always lay off X amount of employees/cut x amount of corners in QA/trade x amount for cheaper ingredients or build quality today to look like a leaner company and have the stock go up but long term...

The question is do people really think that Vince and them are leaving 5 hours early, crumpling up resume's and throwing it in the trash while playing wastebasket basketball.

We can't complain about all the games that had potential that got rushed to their deaths but when a developer is like "this is the pace we are comfortable with" be like too slow!
There is. Posters on a forum commenting that they are letting the opportunity to be the next fortnite die isn't the same as saying because they are doing this the franchise is dead.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just little kids, I heard game industry and streamers saying this on....for example....Destiny and Division podcasts.

"Why can't we get content as quick as Fortnite"

Probably because Massive and Bungie actually cares about their employees well beings. It's an unreal production goal.
Yeah, you are absolutely right and is a shame that is trending to become the norm in the industry. Seeing all this thirst for good and quick content makes me wonder how these people would have survived through, for example, the active Team Fortress 2 development days. Top notch content, but the thing took ages to release. A game like that wouldn't have survived in our current age.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah, you are absolutely right and is a shame that is trending to become the norm in the industry. Seeing all this thirst for good and quick content makes me wonder how these people would have survived through, for example, the active Team Fortress 2 development days. Top notch content, but the thing took ages to release. A game like that wouldn't have survived in our current age.
There was no real alternatives, people were having a blast just playing what they had.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 got heavily criticized cuz Warframe was eating it's lunch during the slow period.

Yeah and they solved that by just continuing the concept of FOMO from being Eververse exclusive with a pointless nonexistant end game, to including FOMO in much of the end game with seasonal content to keep player retention.

I was one of those people who criticized the lack of meaningful content and gear to chase in year 1, because there was NOTHING for months.

We can have a balance between having nothing to do, and having so much to do that even playing every week will leave you left behind. I don't get people who want the latter.

Also:

Destiny 2 is impossible to keep up with if you play other games now. It's one of the many things killing my love of the game. I miss D1's sporadic milestone content drops that would get me playing the game obsessively for short bursts, spread out over the year.

Hell, there were days when I considered a map pack for Halo 3 to be a huge event. I hate continuous content. Let me fucking breathe for a minute. Give me time enough to actually build anticipation for new stuff.

This shit isn't just bad for devs, it actively exhausts me as a player.

Absolutely. Destiny 1 handled it so much better. I always had a lot to do and could come back any time I wanted.

I recently went back to the 360 version to see about grabbing the achievements and to have an excuse to replay it and gosh this game is so fun. I hate that I'm missing out on iron banner gear and one of the ghosts in the tower and the dawning and all that.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I appreciate they're not set up for this, but why not just aggressively expand and invest more into the studio the way Epic did for Fortnite? They don't need Fortnite level updates, just far better support and content offerings that what they have at present.
Not really a specific reason to this specific studio, but at least some counter-points:
- it's extremely hard to expand aggressively in the games industry; there simply are not enough experienced people available, and recruiting costs are very, very high for Senior+ staff (not to mention 6+ month leadtimes aren't far from the average)
- it's not easy to expand aggressively, most games studios simply have not had enough time to consider that aspect under the pressure of getting the game out asap (IE dedicating time for scalable pipelines, documentation, leadership, hardware, studiospace etc.) when these things often fall under the priority of getting the game out and as good as possible
- scaling up means effort from people, which mean less effort to short-term development of the game as time is spent on onboarding staff
- you (as a company) need to have plan for these people beyond just the single game; what will they do for the studio if/when a game winds down, does our PnL support the risk of developers that weren't planned into the earlier company/financial roadmap?
and the list goes on, but the point is that scaling a game team "aggressively" is riduclously hard, expensive, risky and it's very hard to avoid overworking and overpressurizing the team and culture when doing it

Personally, having being tasked with the initiative to grow a team and game with a huge potential, it wasn't easy and we did make short-term cuts into the actual releasable contents to ensure people could work normal hours, they were brought into the team with healthy expectations (though personally in retrospect I learned lot from it, and know how to do it better next time even if no-one burned out or worked 50+ hr weeks due to the growth), but in the long-term we have a healthy cycle in which we know how to push for better quality faster.

As a reference, both Epic and DE (Warframe) had it quite a bit easier as they were companies with staff in other projects that could be pulled into these hit-projects, effectively making the scaling process quite a bit easier (of course to the point they had staff not allocated to these projects).

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
There is. Posters on a forum commenting that they are letting the opportunity to be the next fortnite die isn't the same as saying because they are doing this the franchise is dead.

Nah.

What you're arguing is literally posters on a forum dictating on how a multimillion dollar studio should run their stuff because We (collective gamer 'we') are hungry for content. Because of the recent Fortnite article we see what it is on one extreme...I just don't think that Apex is the other extreme. This is what game development should look more like if the grunts in the pipeline were treated fairly, except we are used to on piles of on demand GaaS to sneakily take money out of our pockets.

Fortnite level of product offerings isn't sustainable for the industry across the board; from gamers to developers to publishers...the system makes them all suffer with no real winners. Gamers get ripped off by half finished games and nickeled and dimed, developers get burned out, publishers cannibalize their sales by propping up a 'there can only be one!' winner take all approach to selling games.

Were they caught flatfooted by their success and how they had fortnite on the ropes? Absolutely. Should they have held onto the game for a few more months before release until they had more quality content? Probably. But that rushed battlepass is what happens when its all about getting ahead of the competition.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a specific reason to this specific studio, but at least some counter-points:
- it's extremely hard to expand aggressively in the games industry; there simply are not enough experienced people available, and recruiting costs are very, very high for Senior+ staff (not to mention 6+ month leadtimes aren't far from the average)
- it's not easy to expand aggressively, most games studios simply have not had enough time to consider that aspect under the pressure of getting the game out asap (IE dedicating time for scalable pipelines, documentation, leadership, hardware, studiospace etc.) when these things often fall under the priority of getting the game out and as good as possible
- scaling up means effort from people, which mean less effort to short-term development of the game as time is spent on onboarding staff
- you (as a company) need to have plan for these people beyond just the single game; what will they do for the studio if/when a game winds down, does our PnL support the risk of developers that weren't planned into the earlier company/financial roadmap?
and the list goes on, but the point is that scaling a game team "aggressively" is riduclously hard, expensive, risky and it's very hard to avoid overworking and overpressurizing the team and culture when doing it

Personally, having being tasked with the initiative to grow a team and game with a huge potential, it wasn't easy and we did make short-term cuts into the actual releasable contents to ensure people could work normal hours, they were brought into the team with healthy expectations (though personally in retrospect I learned lot from it, and know how to do it better next time even if no-one burned out or worked 50+ hr weeks due to the growth), but in the long-term we have a healthy cycle in which we know how to push for better quality faster.

As a reference, both Epic and DE (Warframe) had it quite a bit easier as they were companies with staff in other projects that could be pulled into these hit-projects, effectively making the scaling process quite a bit easier (of course to the point they had staff not allocated to these projects).

Appreciate this informative post.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I would agree if you said the character backgrounds. The diversity of the cast is fantastic, but they pretty much all look bad and make me not want to collect the boring skins they put out for each character.
Nah, i like the style in which their gear is rendered and their overall looks. To each their own.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Is someone plays a game for 4 hrs a day then says they get bored after 3 weeks and demands more content, that's on them. Put the damn controller down and do something else for a bit.

I'm really enjoying the incipient developer push back against the hunger for constant updates and gratification.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The battle pass was atrocious so lets hope they've recognised the shortcomings in that regard. Season 2 needs to really make up for it

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They say that now after the Fortnite article? Seems a bit suspect.

Good on them if it's true, but the timing of it is just...

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Having Solos and Duos would create far worse problems like splitting playerbases. If you want a solo experience go play something else.
Bullshit. Solos I can understand not having but Duos is absolutely needed. Maybe if they had these modes then people would still be playing the game.

I'm essentially playing 2v3's every match because our random has never touched a controller in their life. We still win most of the time but the random might as well not even exist because they either die right at the beginning/quit or do <100 damage while we go 2000+ with 10+ kills.

I want to play duos.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
If they're not set up to compete with fortnite, then they wont compete with fortnite

they'll continue to lose players until only a select few remain

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
If they're not set up to compete with fortnite, then they wont compete with fortnite

they'll continue to lose players until only a select few remain
If every multiplayer game has to directly compete with Fortnite to be successful then the entire industry is fucked and everyone should go home. Please get some perspective.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The game was shadow dropped less than 3 months ago. For those saying "should've hired more people", how quickly do you think they could've hired a bunch of qualified developers, gotten them up to speed on their tools/processes, planned and churned out decent content every week at Fortnite level? Expectations of some seem a bit nuts.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The game was shadow dropped less than 3 months ago. For those saying "should've hired more people", how quickly do you think they could've hired a bunch of qualified developers, gotten them up to speed on their tools/processes, planned and churned out decent content every week at Fortnite level? Expectations of some seem a bit nuts.
Seriously, I was in training for six months at my job and I edit legal documents.