• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Talking to Press Start, game director Stig Asmussen said: "I think it started with EA approaching us at Respawn, and asking. I had a team, we were working on a game, and they said, "What do you guys think about Star Wars?"

Unsurprisingly, everyone at Respawn was keen. "Unanimously, my team hands down, everybody was interested in working on a Star Wars, even though we were really interested in the other game that we were working on, we saw this as an opportunity," Asmussen said. "It's like, "Hey, when are you ever going to get a chance to work on a Star Wars game?"
Asmussen did not reveal what the project Respawn stopped work on was. It's easy to speculate a dozen different ideas, from new IP to Titanfall 3, but for now we have no idea what it could be.

IGN

I think this game is a new IP, i looked up at Respawn hiring page and they are currently hiring for an "Unannounced game".
This might as well be Titanfall 3 but Respawn has 2 teams now, the "shooter" one and the "action/adventure" title, also, Stig joined Respawn in 2014, 2-3 months after Titanfall release.
A new Titanfall experience is coming later this year and they are also working on a VR game.

1. Apex Legends
  2. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
  3. "New titanfall experience"
  4. VR title
  5. "Unannounced game"

Last edited:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
You know?

I would like the next Titanfall game or whatever the unannounced game is to be a Strategy RPG.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I saw some people say Jedi was worked on since 2014. This confirms it has not, so it was another (action/adventure, presumably) game that Stig's team worked on from 2014.

Question then is when they shifted to Jedi game instead of the other project.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is good news imo. The team gets a new experience working on a Star Wars game which should sell, and they can work on that new IP/project next on next gen consoles, with more experience as a team, etc.

Good luck to everyone at Respawn.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Respawn must have gotten a lot bigger over the last few years to be working on that many things.

I'm still mainly interested in their VR military shooter. Haven't heard anything about it since it was announced a year and a half ago.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I saw some people say Jedi was worked on since 2014. This confirms it has not, so it was another (action/adventure, presumably) game that Stig's team worked on from 2014.

Question then is when they shifted to Jedi game instead of the other project.

They are making that game for 5 years? Naah i dont believe that.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
They are making that game for 5 years? Naah i dont believe that.
It was put on hold for Jedi.

I just saw a couple of people posted on here that Jedi was worked on since 2014, probably because they inferred Stig's Respawn join time, which we see with this comment from Stig is not true.

So now we don't know when they changed their active project to Jedi.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Respawn must have gotten a lot bigger over the last few years to be working on that many things.

I'm still mainly interested in their VR military shooter. Haven't heard anything about it since it was announced a year and a half ago.
They have. I hate to quote it but Glassdoor reviews claim this to be the case, and it's similar to how BioWare started their EA partnership.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It was put on hold for Jedi.

I just saw a couple of people posted on here that Jedi was worked on since 2014, probably because they inferred Stig's Respawn join time, which we see with this comment from Stig is not true.

So now we don't know when they changed their active project to Jedi.
I don't necessarily buy that it started in 2014 (I saw comments about 2015), but how does Stig's response rule out anything? The only semblance of a timeline in this article is where they mention "it was probably four months or something, at least, where that we knew that we were going to be working on it, and we started coming up with what our own ideas."

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is really weird. The way Stig and Vince talked at the celebration made it seem the other way around.

Stig joined Respawn in 2014, and he and Vince had been talking about Star Wars before that. This is interesting. Wondering when JFO started dev...Stig made it seem this was the sole reason he joined Respawn.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Btw I wouldn't be surprised if:

1. The game they were working on morphed into JFO, at least gameplay-wise, and won't be coming out
2. The "unannounced game" Respawn is hiring for is just the VR shooter

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Respawn is working on a lot of stuff, that's for sure. Their track record is practically flawless so far, but then again this also likely means their Apex support is gonna be lacking compared to PUBG or Fortnite where a massive team is on said game, whereas here they're working on a billion other things. Oh well.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I don't believe they didn't use a single asset or code or anything from Hennig's Star Wars.

I feel for Hennig. First, ND kicked her out and turned UC into a brooding game full of boring traversal because "groundedness!' or some shit that threw away the Indiana Jones nature of the game.

Gets to work on Star Wars on this ambitious project that has a lot of sensible mechanics but EA gonna EA and aren't interested in investing in a good SP game with risky ideas because lootbox. They'd rather push the cancer that was Battlefront 2 and now we're here.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to know what year was this when EA asked them if they wanted to work on Star Wars. Do we know or have a good educated guess of since when have they've been working on this game?