• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Respawn Launches Apex Legends, a Free-to-Play Battle Royale Experience Available Now on PC, PS4, and Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I played Fortnite for a couple of months when BR first released and it was fun. That's the extent of my BR experience. Was waiting for someone to refine it before I committed, will give this a good shot in a few hours.

Maybe it's the one...

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I know it’s going to come off as edgelordy but I don’t care, Caustic is just so goddamn cool! His design, his voice, and his lines are all fantastic... now I just wish he were being used in a game with some story to it...

Jun 13, 2018
There´s a lesson to be learned here....
Oh god that is beautiful. I distinctly remember this post yesterday.

At least he's owned up but I am tired of rash judgements by people.

This is the first game in a long time that I actually woke up early to play more of before I went to work today. It's great fun.

daxy

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaannn. Watching some footage of this and hearing the clicky clacky sounds of the game and UI is giving me major HL2: Death Match flashbacks. Haven't played a Source game in ages now.

Oct 31, 2017
La La Land
Nah, it's what people do. Apex is a little different, since you might be Respawned, so you may want to hang around but as soon as the squad wipe happens, started the next match!
I don't know if I can get into it. I also don't like not being spawned with any weapon. The last 2 times out squad got ambushed and both times all I had was a pistol. I don't get how on the menu it shows the guns we unlocked but we can't equip them?

I get the basis of BR but as my initial experience (and being an average FPS player) I don't know if I can get into it.

Oct 26, 2017
The one thing I hope they will add sooner rather than later is 4 or even 5 player teams. 3 isn't good for us, there's always someone on the sidelines really. Or me and my friends should split up but you get a very hectic party chat then.

Oct 25, 2017
The character designs are horrendous

They're somehow even worse than the ones in Black Ops 4
I like them, they feel like Timesplitters 2 characters

and the same ppl that made titanfall 2 jumping...couldn't have made this.
That isn't how game development works. Even if exactly 1:1 the same team worked on TF2 and Apex Legends, jumping/climbing obviously isn't as much of a priority in this as it was in Titanfall 2 – thus it will have been designed differently, thus it will have had less development focus, thus it will feel different.

The same team can put out vastly different feeling things.

So you focus on playing and enjoying the game

:)

Nov 7, 2017
I really, really hate headbob without an option to turn it off. Without TF movement, it's hard to swallow all the swaying and ADS gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
There are two german ones. One for free for users with PS+, and one for 0,25€ because of their usual USK18 stuff.
Loaded it last night via PS4-Store.
But i have PS+ so i should be able to get the free version, right? But i can‘t. I‘ll look for the 0,25€ version!

Edit: The download button now appeared on the free version :)

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Germany
But i have PS+ so i should be able to get the free version, right? But i can‘t. I‘ll look for the 0,25€ version!
Yeah, something seems wrong with the browser store, I also only see a button to wishlist. They might update it around 18 o' clock, their usual tuesday update time.
Or never :s

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I like them, they feel like Timesplitters 2 characters

That isn't how game development works. Even if exactly 1:1 the same team worked on TF2 and Apex Legends, jumping/climbing obviously isn't as much of a priority in this as it was in Titanfall 2 – thus it will have been designed differently, thus it will have had less development focus, thus it will feel different.

The same team can put out vastly different feeling things.

So you focus on playing and enjoying the game

:)
Hey Siege had a platinum and i enjoyed the hell out of that game even after the plat! :(

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Do people still play Titanfall 1 or 2 on Xbox?

Might get one of those because this gameplay made me miss TF2.
Be careful. I played TF2 this week in anticipation and it’s so many light years better than this mess it will make you like AL less.

AL feels like a janky clone of actual Titanfall mechanics and gun play. Like Gameloft made it or something. How is this a Respawn game? I played hours and hours tonight and I’m struggling to see why people are so hyped.

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think it's because it's free to play. There's some stipulation about cost... like if a game costs under a certain amount it can only have a Gold not a Plat
mmmm i dunno. Im pretty sure cheaper f2p games have plats.
realm royale
paladins
switchblade
warface
etc..

Again, not a big deal, but would have been nice for the trophy hunter in me! :P

Oct 28, 2017
So, I know a lot of people are saying they hope they add some sort of solo game type. With everything so set up for teams do you think it would work well? Would they have to strip abilities to make it work?

Oct 27, 2017
tried to play it, didn't really know what i was doing as i don't play BR games, got wrecked, but it feels like it could/would be fun for those that understand/are experienced in these games

Shao Kahn

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Outworld
Honestly, some of the features in this game is exactly what I wanted from my everyday shooter.

Instantly joining friends. Draft picking characters, pinging every message you can think of, and so much more. I love that players can jump in a team or solo. There's so much goodness in this game.

I like that every character has dozens of skins, though this game is ripe and ready to be milked with MTX, so it's a double edged sword.

Biggest problem with the game is how uninspired the legends are, and how little I feel invested in them since there is way too much MTX and the characters look way too generic to give a fuck.

Though I'm happy that devs will make their money from MTX and maybe add more modes like solo, duo, 4 man and 6 man teams. 10 teams of 6 would be so much fun.

Solid gameplay will make this a weekly title that I'll play.

P.S. I love landing on the ship!

Oct 25, 2017
There are more people complaining about Titanfall 3 than people who bought Titanfall 2 tbh
I wouldn't say that's true. What I would say is that the people who finally* played TF2 bought it for $7.

and ya'll wonder why they aren't making more. smh.

dmoe

Oct 25, 2017

Titanfall 1 was almost multiplayer only. Titanfall 2 was very multiplayer orientated. Sure it had a great singleplayer mode, but if anything that came as a surprise to fans, rather than what they expected. It's a multiplayer driven series and Respawn are known for innovating in the multiplayer space.
And both multiplayer versions of those games fell off the map pretty quick. Quote me and come back in 2 weeks then. Everyone will go back to Fortnite, COD, PubG.

Shao Kahn

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Outworld
See you in a few weeks. I look forward to it. I find it insane that you people find it so hard to believe this game wont succeed. You all probably still try and play Lawbreakers
The problem is that timing is everything. Lawbreakers died a self inflicted death by releasing in the time when there was no room for any Overwatch or Fortnite competitors. So did Battlebore. So did all the countless other full-priced (and eventually F2P) BR/team games that came out in a ridiculously unpolished state.

This game is very polished. This game is a successor to one of the best games out there. This game took COD's $59.99 lunch money and gave it for free. I will be surprised if COD ever recovers. This is miles better than Blackout.

Blackout is going F2P this summer, and Apex will eat it's lunch while the rest will ponder and say "Fucking EA". Lawbreakers hould've been F2P but it wasn't. And then Cliffy finally released a F2P in such garbage state that the studio died.

This game has the fanbase of Titanfall to back up on. This game has EA's billions to back up on. If it wasn't for Anthem, they would be marketing the shit outta this. This will take center stage, and it'll be glorious. I guess quote me in a few weeks/months as well :)

dmoe

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that timing is everything. Lawbreakers died a self inflicted death by releasing in the time when there was no room for any Overwatch or Fortnite competitors. So did Battlebore. So did all the countless other F2P BR/team games that came out in a ridiculously unpolished state.

This game is very polished. This game is a successor to one of the best games out there. This game took COD's $59.99 lunch money and gave it for free. I will be surprised if COD ever recovers. This is miles better than Blackout.

Blackout is going F2P this summer, and Apex will eat it's lunch while the rest will ponder and say "Fucking EA".

Lawbreakers should've been F2P but it wasn't. And then Cliffy finally released a F2P in such garbage state that the studio died.
I hope your right. I really do enjoy this game. I just know how quickly people move on. I hope I am wrong.

Komo

Jan 3, 2019
See you in a few weeks. I look forward to it. I find it insane that you people find it so hard to believe this game wont succeed. You all probably still try and play Lawbreakers
I don't know why you're trashing it. Lawbreakers was a good game but flawed by its core art design. It's ultimately what killed it.

The game was fun, but stupid ugly and to the point where you didn't want to play it. Apex Legends has everything going for it with 1million uniques already, it's about a tenth of a the users fortnite gets concurrently. This game easily has huge legs and I see it succeeding pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.