• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it something most people expect? I was expecting to be off, but when I checked my schedule last week I saw that I have a packed day tomorrow, much to my dismay. My impression is that many of my colleagues (who technically work at different sites) are going to be off.

Partially made this thread to bitch, partially to hear other people's experiences.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Private sector here

I've never had it off officially, but so few people are actually working that even if you do show up there's nothing to do

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
There are plenty of teachers who don't have this whole week off.
Unless by "a teacher like me" you mean "a teacher in my school."

Well, our schools are closed in this district/county. I'd do some checking but this is probably the same in my state generally speaking.

There's no need to get pissy. I wasn't bragging. Just answering the question.

EarthBound64

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Well, our schools are closed in this district/county. I'd do some checking but this is probably the same in my state generally speaking.

There's no need to get pissy. I wasn't bragging. Just answering the question.

I wasn't "get[ting] pissy," I was just responding to your post - as far as I'm aware, teachers having an entire week off in Thanksgiving isn't common at all.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
People at work were surprised that I didn't take it off.

So many people take it off anyhow that I just go to work and check out all of the black friday deals. I use my time off for important things, like E3 and game launches.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Used to have it off at my previous company, but need to work it at the current one. (though my current company gives several other extra holidays off throughout the year, so it's a net positive)

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't "get[ting] pissy," I was just responding to your post - as far as I'm aware, teachers having an entire week off in Thanksgiving isn't common at all.

You are correct, in my experience (New York State), it's not common. I'm a teacher and I have to teach Monday and Tuesday this week. That's the same way it was for me growing up to. But, to the topic of this thread, I do get Friday off! So that's real nice.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017

I cannot speak for everywhere, but I do know this. Since Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday, I would bet against any public school teachers having to work Friday anywhere.

If a district made them work Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, I would bet that they have other off days to make up for it. There's a set number of days teachers work and they don't exceed it.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My current organization has it off.

I believe most of my previous employers did as well.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
I've worked every holiday for the past four years. My line of work doesn't really take breaks. (Community Management)

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friday is considered one of 6 company-designated holidays at my company so if you were to work you get holiday pay. I take it off though.

Wife teaches and I've never heard of a school being open the day after Thanksgiving, but apparently that's a thing according to this thread.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work for a non-profit. I get 10 paid holiday days off a year. Thanksgiving and day after are included.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously?
That doesn't really have anything to do with anything, though.

It does have to do with something. This entire thread is about whether people get the day off during the Thanksgiving holiday.

I brought up the subject of teachers, so when and why teachers may or may not get the day off is relevant.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Work retail. I can't feel sorry for you. At least you aren't working retail on a Black Friday. Was the one time when I had two jobs I was happy that I worked as a vet receptionist on fridays so couldn't work then (I liked my retail job more usually). And unlike some one else I don't even get time and a half for it.

EarthBound64

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
This entire thread is about whether people get the day off during the Thanksgiving holiday.

I brought up the subject of teachers, so when and why teachers may or may not get the day off is relevant.

And I was stating that most teachers don't get 3 days before Thanksgiving off.
Not really sure what the issue is.

It's the practice here in my county for Florida and where I taught in Colorado. It's becoming the norm.

Oh. Not something I've ever encountered up here in New England.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I work in IT support for some computer security products (HSMs specifically) in Canada, and a good portion of our customers are from the US. We're expecting almost no tickets to come in from US customers tomorrow, unless they're critical outages.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
And I was stating that most teachers don't get 3 days before Thanksgiving off.
Not really sure what the issue is.

The issue is that everyone's experience informs their perception. My experience suggested to me that teachers have the week off. I've never experienced otherwise in the 7 years I've been in my county (both as a graduate student and as an actual teacher) so you can understand why I thought that.

I can tell you that doing little half-weeks on the edge of a break really doesn't lead to much productive work for students or teachers. I try to keep everyone busy, but everyone in my building hates it.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
I've worked for a company that gave it as a holiday. My current company doesn't, but they're so liberal with PTO that most people just take it.

My kids only get Thursday and Friday off, but starting next school year, Wednesday will be included.

EarthBound64

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
The issue is that everyone's experience informs their perception. My experience suggested to me that teachers have the week off. I've never experienced otherwise in the 7 years I've been in my county (both as a graduate student and as an actual teacher) so you can understand why I thought that.

And that's perfectly fine, there's nothing at all wrong with that.

I responded saying that wasn't the case for most people.
And, I mean, that was really it.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't technically have it off, but no one will be in the lab so I can do what I need to do and bounce.

Raleigh00

Oct 27, 2017
I work at a small business IT company and we support about 50 commercial clients - most if not all are closed and I don't expect any service calls tomorrow (we're technically off, as well).

Last edited:

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I work in health insurance and we don't have it off. We only get Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. That said 75% of my team is using PTO tomorrow.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Whole company gets Thursday and Friday. Our team everyone decided to work remotely Wednesday and Monday too. Six day weekends are amazing.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I work in an office. The first year I was there it was a day off but they took it away after that. However, they have given us an extra floating holiday to use

EarthBound64

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut

EarthBound64

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
lol. Skimmed over "New." That's wild. Maybe its a southern thing? My fiancé is a teacher in TN and has been off since Wed.

Hah, no worries.

And, to be fair, most of my experience is Massachusetts.
But, in ~25 years in Massachusetts schools (counting attending at a number of grade levels, obviously), I never once encountered it.
We did get Patriots' Day and Bunker Hill Day off, though!

EDIT: We did generally have a half-day on Wednesday (half-day for teachers as well as students), so I could see that day being off.
But Monday and Tuesday as well? Never encountered anything that would indicate that. At least not up here.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
In the nine years I've been with my company I've never worked the Friday after Thanksgiving