• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nevercomehome

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be a barista at a pretty expensive local shop back when I was in college. One of the worst customers I ever had was this older man that began scolding me after I gave him a dollar in extra change. He was asking what was wrong with me and if I knew how to do math. I got extremely lucky because some of the other customers starting heckling this man for being a jerk. He got his coffee and left in a huff and I got extra tips.

Also, if you ever have to try and get people to sign up for those e-mails that have offers or coupons you'll realize how many people are legit terrified at the idea that their info will get out. I had people go on rants about how they hide all their shit and have extra guns buried in their yard and how they don't want to show proper ID because "they can scan that and get you." I was always on the verge of saying "a simple no would have worked."

lol I just remembered this one guy back when I worked at my local Hot Topic. This fucking guy walks in to the store and has his wife and daughter pick out a random assortment of items that they wanted to get. They each had a handful of items ready to go so they walk up to the counter. I scan the items and the guy pulls out a credit card that I could not get it to process. After a bit he tells me that he hasn't actually "activated it" or something idk. He pulls out a letter from the card company or whatever and then pulls out his phone and essentially asks me to activate his card. At this point I straight up asks if he has any other means of paying cause I wasn't going to do this for him. He just blankly looks at me and goes "no... is there something wrong?" Thankfully my boss was there with me and she shoved me aside and actually helped this guy set up his card. It ended up taking like half an hour but she successfully processed the payment. I guess she wasn't gonna let a big sale just get away.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
One summer I was an overnight stocker at Wal-Mart. Around 3:00 AM I was on a ladder stocking chips or something. This old woman goes off on me for blocking whatever snacks she wanted. I offered to hand her what she needed but instead had to climb down, move the ladder, let her pick something, and then go back up.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
i wouldnt even know where to start. worked depot/lowes for around 10 years between the two.

i got called racist because i couldnt copy a key that was literally broke in half
my favorites were always the people who would say "do you know how much money i spend here each year" and i would respond with a "ive been here for X years and ive never seen you once"
one guy wanted to fight me in the parking lot because he got caught trying to steal a tool

and on and on and on lol. glad im out from that life

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, you can't do this. You can't "long story short" just when it's getting good. What's in the middle?

Just a lot of yelling, screaming, threatening employees, then she threw something at our loss prevention guy who told her to calm down and leave the store. I was fighting sleep when I posted that.

Even as bad as my story is, it pales in comparison to what happened to my best friend one Black Friday while we worked at Circuit City. We were selling iPod Nanos as doorbusters. They were gone within an hour. Around noon, some lady comes in and tells my friend that she wants to buy one. He tells her that they sold out within an hour, and she slapped him. We ended up having to hold him back from going after her as she runs out of the store before the police could be called.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I work in a wing place, and once had a customer yell at me for refusing to serve her undercooked chicken. I'm not about to deliberately give someone salmonella, no matter how much they ask

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
A customer yelled at me to cover their laptop under warranty. Told them that liquid damage isn't covered.

"How do know it's liquid damaged?! It's broke, replace it!"

The water hadn't even finished from evaporating from it and I could see the fresh water droplets. Come on now.

my favorites were always the people who would say "do you know how much money i spend here each year"

Lmao, this is such a non-threat, I can immediately tell who hasn't worked retail just based on that. I had access to records and I could see that the guy who yelled about how he spends hundreds of dollars a month spent like 50 bucks ever.

Last edited:

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I was working at Best Buy in video games during the release of Vice City. This lady wanted to pick up a copy for her 12 year old son, and I advised her that it's a very adult game while explaining what that "M" on the front of the box meant. She said something about it just being a bunch of pixels and bought it anyway.

The next day she comes in screaming at one of our customer service reps about how awful the content was, that she wasn't told about it beforehand, and she wanted her money back. I got called up to talk to her. Back then, you could not return open video games or PC software unless it was damaged and we'd give them another copy. Long story short, she got the police called on her.

Uncanny how similar my first story is like this.

2 Different stories:

1) Working at a Gamestop a kid no older than 10 came in and wanted to buy an M rated game (I think Vice City? it was a while ago) and as per our manager at the time I was not allowed to do so. So a mother who was waiting in the car came storming in screaming at to top of her lungs about not being able to complete a simple transaction etc etc. I explained to her the games rating and her ranting changed to how I can't tell her how to raise her fucking child!!! The very next day she came back in again (completely not recognizing me, retail workers apparently don't register in her brain) yelling about selling filth to children and how she's friends with the mayor and will get this smut shop shut down. Manager stepped in and said they wouldn't take the game back and she had to leave. Never saw here again.

2) I was working at a World Market and it was the first week of November, maybe the second. Some lady came in and started asking about the black friday sales. I had no idea and let her know that corporate let us know the week of at the earliest. She then called me a quote "Liar and Thief" and how I was stealing money out of her pocket that she needed to feed her family because I wouldn't tell her about the sales

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
One time, a customer absolutely kicked the fuck off at me, because they hadn't signed and returned the contract to the card machine supplier and that was my fault apparently. I told him it was delayed because of him and he didn't like it lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I was working at Guitar Center and some guy comes in looking for a '''bottom string".

I give him a .46 low e string. He starts shouting 'No! The BOTTOM string!" Smashing his fist on the glass counter.

I'm like that's the top string, the high e!

He yelled "THATS THE BOTTOM STRING!"
Then he stormed off.

Maybe he's the guy that pooped in the sink there, but that's another story

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I thought of another one but pretty sure she was a schizophrenic, because, this wasn't normal behavior. Happened to my coworker but I was there. She's next in line and he says next in line, she pretends she didn't hear him, next in line again she then goes off. Tells us how she knows what we do in the back and are making sex tapes, etc. Already opened her cookie and taken several bites at this point. Manager tells her to leave and she says no I haven't paid for this yet. Makes her leave. Throws the cookie at my coworker and storms out. Get standing ovation from the other customers, even some left their phone numbers in case corporate gets involved. Less than 2 minutes after she stormed out corporate calls us asking why we didn't take her money and next time just serve her, because, crazy people's money is just as good as sane people's money.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I did use to work at a satellite TV provider... There was a UFC fight that night and people were missing out their PPV because of the snow. I mean I understand they were frustrated because the paid to watch the fight, and they were unable to watch it, but I recall people calling and complaining about how I didnt make a better installation, how I didnot tell them about the snow, Why I didnt send them a better dish... I was not in sales, but just tech support damn it!!

Oct 25, 2017
Former Toys R Us employee here. Way too many to remember them all but one I remember clearly is a customer asking if she can get last week's special price for a product because she was on vacation and missed it. It's amazing how low some people will go to try and get a discount.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I asked for help at target, I called the customer a person instead of a guest and they got pissed at me.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I was singlehandedly blamed for the 2008 financial crisis while working in a branch of a bank.

Oct 28, 2017
Me on the loud speaker:

"Good Evening Forman Mills Shoppers, as a reminder please do not park your cars across the street in the CVS parking lot, they WILL tow your car. For your convenience if our parking lot is full, there is plenty of street parking on the sides of our building and in the next block under the EL Train, as always, thank you for shopping at Forman Mills!"

10 mins later...

"53 to the front, 53 to the front!"

"No Ma'am, we are not part of CVS and their parking is for their customers only. Yes,...I...I understand that but I can't give you extra credit here just because you're car was towed from another parking lot....Yes I will get you our corporate number, give me one second to get it."

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I had this really fun experience while working at office depot like 7 years ago.

I was a copy center worker, and I cashiered as backup when it got busy. A bit of back story on the situation, Office Depot during back to school has penny deals on certain things but has a strict 3 item limit on those specific items, so 3 note books for 3 pennies, but we were a little relaxed about it sometimes, and would let people get 6, but usually cut them off after that.

We had a customer come in, it was an older lady. She went through the line and tried to get 15 notebooks, and 15 of some other item as well that was on the same deal. We explained that she could get a couple extra but it was a relatively strict limit on the item. Apparently she didn't understand or just wanted to ignore us, because she came back through the line again, and again we had to tell her no you cannot buy this many of this, it has to be available for other people who want it as well. She started yelling at me about how she came down to get it for her neighbor too. My manager got involved and said have your neighbor come in for theirs, we cannot give you this item. She started screaming about how she came down from Canada (I was in northern WA at the time so it was common to get Canadian customers) and it was outrageous that we wouldn't let her buy as many as she wanted. She then turned and spit directly on my leg, and then spit on my manager and continued to scream at us causing as big of a scene as possible (while we had about 15 customers in line). She then stormed out saying she would call corporate about this. Never heard from them or her again.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Also, if you ever have to try and get people to sign up for those e-mails that have offers or coupons you'll realize how many people are legit terrified at the idea that their info will get out. I had people go on rants about how they hide all their shit and have extra guns buried in their yard and how they don't want to show proper ID because "they can scan that and get you." I was always on the verge of saying "a simple no would have worked."
This is funny to me because the customer service folks at my job regularly tell me stories of customers who come in to do money transfers that are obviously scams, and get super angry when told we won't send their money.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Not retail, but when I worked at a movie theater in high school, I once had to explain to a man who I can only assume was incredibly high, that "AMC 24" meant 24 theaters and not that we were open 24/7. I literally had to stand there and break down what a theater was. "It's a room with lots of seats and a screen..."

That whole job was miserable. Horrible customers, horrible manager. I got yelled at every day by customers and the management treated every single one of us like potential criminals. I was so happy when I left.

I work in a small independent bookstore now, and our customers are much nicer, but I've definitely had some wacky encounters. It's always pretty obvious when someone doesn't buy books often, but I don't really care, because hey they're buying books now! But every so often we get someone who has somehow avoided pop culture, and I'm amazed. I had one woman ask for 1985, and when I said "1984? We have that." she started arguing with me that it was really 1985. She remembered because it was her high school graduation year blah blah. She shut up quick when I went to get the book for her, but she argued with me for a long time about it. Another woman called to get Jekyll and Hyde for her kid for school and when she started spelling it for me I was like "oh yep, Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." She was amazed that I knew this book, and we got into a whole conversation about how she'd never heard of it.

I also work in a library, which is kind of retail adjacent. Quite a few people have asked me where to pay for the books and then I have to explain what a free library is. It's also pretty amazing how many people have absolutely no computer literacy. I do my best to be non-judgmental about it, because helping people with computers is a big part of my job. It's not an age thing either -- we get lots of young people who don't know how to print something from their e-mail. I've noticed many people know how to use their phone but not desktop computers now, and get confused. I've seen people that, instead of holding the shift key down to capitalize a letter, will hit it once like you would on a phone keyboard.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
When I go out of my way to help a customer in dairy (it's right next to my department), telling them that I need to go find someone to talk to in the dairy department. When I come back with their answer/and or item, they then talk to me for 5 minutes about what needs to be changed/added in that area, after I just told them it's not my department. So literally just waisting my time so that they can bitch.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got yelled at for charging sales tax. They accused me of lying to pocket an extra 20 cents for myself.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I got yelled at for charging sales tax. They accused me of lying to pocket an extra 20 cents for myself.
I remember many times people coming in with receipts yelling at me about being over charged and I had to explain to them what sales tax was. One in particular wanted to return everything and buy each item individually to "minimize sales tax" we sat there for like a half hour with a calculator trying to get him to understand.

Freewheelin

Nov 1, 2017
Working in retail for the last 6 years have given me some interesting experiences. Used to work on the shop floor before being moved to tills about 3 years ago.

Had a customer tell me I looked like her son, lol. Also had someone shout at me for not giving him his receipt (even though I did, I think), telling everyone that I should be fired. Was embarrassing :/

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I had a customer get pissed at me because I wouldn't sell him a copy of Fellowship of the Ring two days before the street date. Like legit pissed, spewing as many cuss words and threatening us with a false advertisement lawsuit (like Walmart is going to care).

We had a guy tell us he'd pay extra to buy a book before it's release date. We kept telling him we couldn't because we could get in legal trouble, but he acted like he just needed to grease the wheel a little more.

I just remembered I once had this teenager try to pay with a fake CARDBOARD credit card. I just held it and looked at him and he hurried to get real money out of his pocket. I don't know what he was thinking, because I obviously can't run cardboard through the machine...

Brawlz

Banned
May 18, 2018
For not being able to order an item that factually doesn't exist. (A whole chicken with all white meat)

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
When I go out of my way to help a customer in dairy (it's right next to my department), telling them that I need to go find someone to talk to in the dairy department. When I come back with their answer/and or item, they then talk to me for 5 minutes about what needs to be changed/added in that area, after I just told them it's not my department. So literally just waisting my time so that they can bitch.
I get a lot of folks who complain to me that my town needs a Target when Walmart doesn't have an item they want. Like, okay, let's fuck up the remaining local-owned stores in town to replace them with more disposable minimum-wage jobs because you need this town you're literally just passing through for a weekend to be exactly like the place you came from. Maybe plan ahead and bring it with you next time?

It's never anything important, either, it's usually like a board game or a specific brand name of something we have a huge selection of.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
When I worked at GameStop (yeah I know) I had a lady come in yelling at me because the game she bought her son had drugs in it.

I told her that M rated games are always inappropriate for children. All I got back was "well how am I supposed to know that?!?!" And then she asked for my manager.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I had a guy try to flip my desk cos he didn't know his own post/zip code.

So glad to be well out of retail work, and that the desk was nailed down! Haha

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
My last retail job was at Circuit City almost 20 years ago. I worked in the computer department. A lady called up and asked if we had an ink cartridge in stock to go with her printer. I asked what model printer she had, she told me, and I told her I was going to put her on hold for a minute while I walked over to check to see if we had what she needed. She started immediately giving me shit about how I should know whether or not we had it. I told her there are lots and lots of printers out there, and I can't reasonably be expected to know which cartridge(s) all of them take, which SKUs go with which cartridges, and whether or not we have each of those SKUs currently in stock. I left her on hold for a really long time.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
We're open 24/7. People were yelling about us having our freight out in the dead of night and we should do it when we're closed. "...but we only close two days a year."

Dec 22, 2017
I worked at Home Depot. We were allowed to wear polo shirts and jeans we just had to wear the orange apron, I can't tell you how many times I got asked if I worked there while wearing the orange apron.

I worked there too and we had to write "I HELP IN ALL DEPARTMENTS!" in sharpie on the front of the orange apron. People would ask me complicated plumbing and electrical questions and I wouldn't know the answer and they'd be like "well it says you help in all departments". So I would usually make something up.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I worked there too and we had to write "I HELP IN ALL DEPARTMENTS!" in sharpie on the front of the orange apron. People would ask me complicated plumbing and electrical questions and I wouldn't know the answer and they'd be like "well it says you help in all departments". So I would usually make something up.

Yeah, we weren't allowed to take them off until we got to the break room so while walking to the back of the store I couldn't tell you how many times I lost my break because I'd get stopped 3-4 times on my way to take a break.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Hahahaha oh man, the "But you work here, why don't you know everything about all the items your store carries?" customers

I also get customers who start arguments because a different Walmart carries an item we don't have. That other Walmart is literally a square mile in size. How are we gonna carry the same amount of merchandise as them?!

Yeah, we weren't allowed to take them off until we got to the break room so while walking to the back of the store I couldn't tell you how many times I lost my break because I'd get stopped 3-4 times on my way to take a break.
Just a heads up for whoever might get some use out of this: in some retail chains, if you have to stop your break to help a customer it counts as still working and you can start your break over.

I can get stuck in electronics (right next to the break room entrance) for up to an hour when it's busy.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Gets a phonecall.
"Hello. I would like to scan a picture for you to put on a cake" they say.
"Okay, you'll have to come in-store to do that, but I'll let you know now, we aren't allowed to use copyrighted images, like Mickey Mouse or football teams okay?"
Some grumbling, then say okay they'll be there in a few hours.
They arrive and start using the machine. Some time passes, they bring the receipt up. I glance at it and sure enough, who would be staring back at me but a giant damn Pikachu.
"I'm sorry, we're not allowed to use copyrighted images"
What ensues is a lengthy back-and-forth. Seems they thought I literally meant no Mickey Mouse or football teams only.
They yell and cuss and storm off in a huff.

But wait! This story has a sequel. Seems they didn't bank on me working two days in a row, so they try again. Hand the receipt over to the person working, who of course tell them the exact same thing, and now they get yelled at.
Its at this point I can't help myself; I slink on up and suggest... They don't let me finish. Yelling and cussing at the sight of me they storm off yet again.

I was going to suggest buying the Pokemon cake we already sell. It's bigger and cheaper.

Fray

Oct 28, 2017
VanIsle, BC
One of my all time favorites was a lady trying to return something that wasn't bought from our store AND still had the original stores tags on it. When I pointed this out to her she accused me of putting them on while she wasn't looking. She then asked to speak to a manager and when I informed her I was the most senior manager on site, a look of defeat and sadness crossed her face. She then simply walked out of the store staring at the ground.

Years ago while working in a grocery store we had chocolate milk on sale and had sold out. Some dude comes up to me while I am stocking milk and asks nicely enough "Are you guys getting more chocolate milk?"
I replied in chipper and helpful tone "We have a milk delivery tonight so we should be stocked up when we open tomorrow morning."
As soon as I said this his demeanor changed and he says "If if doesn't come in I can break your jaw?"
I was taken back by the comment seeing as the guy was so nice like 15 seconds ago and thought maybe it was a really bad attempt at a joke so I say in bewilderment "Is that a joke?"
He yells "DO I FUCKING LOOK LIKE I AM FUCKING JOKING TO YOU?", while repeatedly picking up his cart and slamming it down.
At this point I can't help it and I start laughing my ass off, every time I start to say something I just start laughing harder. For a good minute or so this cycle continued of him trying to be all serious and intimidating and each time I look at him I begin laughing so hard I cry.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I worked in a footwear department and one funny story.

I was in the stock room and a Co worker came in asking do we have anying bigger in this type of kids shoe. When I looked at it it wasn't ones we sell.

I said it wasn't one of ours and a few minutes later I was called to the till and asked the same question this time by the customer.

I told her they were not ours but she demanded to buy them. She concluded that we didn't sell them they must be free. At that moment another customer appeared saying those were her daughters shoes she took off to try on another runners. The first customer were red faces and left the shop.

The second customer turned to me and blamed me for not watching her kids shoes.

There was no winning.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At my store someones order got processed even though we didnt have it, i told the woman and she broke down crying and screaming at me, then she got her husband on the phone. Who called me a peice of shit then told me that he hopes I die soon. While this was happening another woman in the line started screaming at my co worker for no reason (i literally
Dont know what set her off) then she started grabbing stuff on our desk and throwing at us, all the while the old lady with her husband on the phone is still screaming at us. I had to call security, it got so bad, i took an early break and i was shaking.

Oh man there are alot of stories from behind that customer service desk. I can think of at least 3 different people who have told me that they will be waiting for me when i get out of work because i turned down an illegitimate return.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Worked in retail for a while back in the UK, I never got yelled at (and never saw anyone get yelled at either, I guess I was lucky or maybe this is less common in the UK than in the States) but a few passive aggressive type comments, the dumbest being some guy trying to blame me for the fact that he filled in his lottery numbers incorrectly. The customer is always wrong.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Over the phone, I had a guy yelling at me about stealing his stuff when I needed to confirm some simple/basic information. He did it before, but he kept yelling, cursing, refusing to cooperate and be productive for about a full minute. His last words were, "Don't you hang up-".

*CLICK*

It was a bit euphoric.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
One of my all time favorites was a lady trying to return something that wasn't bought from our store AND still had the original stores tags on it. When I pointed this out to her she accused me of putting them on while she wasn't looking. She then asked to speak to a manager and when I informed her I was the most senior manager on site, a look of defeat and sadness crossed her face. She then simply walked out of the store staring at the ground.
My store has made us allow returns on items that were another business' store brand ffs

EDIT: lmao I just clocked in at work and the time clock reminded me today's my 11-year anniversary... let's see what craziness transpires. Got our first real snow last night so there's no telling.

Last edited:

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
A lady yelled got mad that I couldn't sell a recalled item to her.

Maybe you should wonder that there's something wrong with it?

Dude, I was in line at the supermarket over a week ago behind a lady who got into an argument with the cashier and then the manager because they wouldn't sell her a bag of pre-made salad because it was included in the romaine lettuce recall.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My first job was at an AMC Theaters and had the usual annoyances, people demanding to know why we didn't have certain movies, claiming that our website or the newspaper listings were wrong and this was our fault (like mine directly), stealing old popcorn buckets of trash cans and demanding refills, that bullshit.

My favorite is probably the woman who took her teenage kids to see The Change-Up, that movie with Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds where they switch bodies. When she bought her tickets we informed her that it was an R-rated movie, and she said it was fine. About half an hour later she comes out to the lobby with her kids behind her and demands to see our ratings guide, so we just hand her this MPAA pamphlet. She also asks to see the ratings for all the movies, so we handed her a sheet that had the synopses, ratings and run times for all the movies we were carrying at the time. She spent like a minute cross-referencing the two before going off on us for showing a movie like that, and that it contains child pornography which is illegal (there's a scene early on where Jason Bateman changes his kids' diapers and you see their butts and genitalia). I saw the movie so I knew what she was talking about and explained that it wasn't porn and we'd never carry a movie that had actual pornography. She then pivoted to complain that the movie had too much sex and swearing in it and I was like "you know we told you this was rated R, right?" You could tell immediately she knew she didn't have a leg to stand on because she was just like "Yeah, well... sometimes an R rating doesn't mean it's that bad."

All it culminated in was the manager refunding her tickets and sending her on her merry way, but man, that was weird.

There was this one other time this very socially awkward teenager (early 20s maybe) bought a ticket for a movie at like 11pm on a weeknight, came out fifteen minutes later and tried to give me some story about the projector setting on fire and the movie stopping, and asking for a refund. I got the projectionist on walkie and was like "is the movie in theater 7 (or whatever) still playing?" and he said yes. The guy admitted he just changed his mind about seeing the movie because he had a test the next morning and would rather go home and study and I was like "dude, you don't need to lie about that, I can just refund your ticket" which I did. He was the only guy in the theater too so we were able to just shut that projection off anyway.

I had a coworker come in once with her boyfriend late at night and asked if there were any movies we hadn't sold tickets to yet - they just wanted to watch a movie alone together. This was when they were doing the 3D re-release of Lion King, and that was the only movie with no one in it, so she got two tickets to that. 15 minutes later (just short of the point where we couldn't sell anymore tickets) this group of four douchebags all high as kites came in and were like "OHHHH MANNNN, LION KING, I REMEMBER THAT MOVIE, FOUR PLEASE" and it's like... well I couldn't really tell them no. My coworker said they just heard the door burst open and some asshole shout "WHOA, THERE'S NO ONE IN HERE!!!" Felt so bad for them.

Last edited:

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
After i worked at that Toys R Us I worked at a Gamestop for awhile and i had a woman literally pull a "Do you know who I am!?" tirade on me because I asked to see her ID for a credit card purchase. She was an eye doctor/surgeon with tons of billboards up around town and flipped out because apparently I'm not supposed to follow store protocol because she thinks she's famous.

OP
OP
TheCthultist

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Dude, I was in line at the supermarket over a week ago behind a lady who got into an argument with the cashier and then the manager because they wouldn't sell her a bag of pre-made salad because it was included in the romaine lettuce recall.
I have to imagine this happened a lot, all over the place, over the last week or so. Really wish you could just let the person sign a waver and then sell it to them...

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
All it culminated in was the manager refunding her tickets and sending her on her merry way

This is the part that always bothered me in these situations. Customers can yell at me all day and I'll shrug it off but when I am right and am following policy and doing my job but a manager steps in to appease these idiots making me look like the bad guy...ugh the worst feeling, so demoralizing.

Oct 29, 2017
For not marrying my then girlfriend.

I sold appliances at Sears at the time and small talk is part of the game; relationships came up with a potential customer and she went on about how her daughter was knocked up by some guy then he bailed and her daughter is now ruined, etc, etc, etc. (this was after I told her my relationship status) she then proceeded to berate me about not "maning up" and asking her to marry me (I was 22 at the time) and that I was horrible for not doing so and that all men are trash and only want one thing, and that I would do the same as her daughters shitty boyfriend yadayadayada. By this point Im fuckin pissed and told her to "get the fuck out of the store". Which I thought I would be instantly fired for, but nobody at that store gave a shit (about anything really) and after explaining the story to the manager they weren't to concerned about it.

Fray

Oct 28, 2017
VanIsle, BC
My store has made us allow returns on items that were another business' store brand ffs

EDIT: lmao I just clocked in at work and the time clock reminded me today's my 11-year anniversary... let's see what craziness transpires. Got our first real snow last night so there's no telling.

If something is really cheap, like under $20, AND I can tell based on the persons demeanor it will result in a massive uproar, I will just do it for in store credit. It isn't worth the drama for one and two will usually cost way more in labour costs to argue with the person. Best advice I was ever given by another manager was "Whatever gets them the fuck out the fucking door quickest". No truer words have ever been spoken.

Edit: grats on the anni! Hope you have a great shift and at least have a few laughs