• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in Electronics covering and had someone truly stupid ask me a Q.

Customer: When I stood next to my router I felt my body get energized and I felt unwell, then I walked further away and started to feel better. So I can turn off the WiFi in order to prevent the radiation damage?

me: O___O..... sigh

Oct 25, 2017
China
I've got many stories to tell from my days working in the computer/electronics section of a retail chain back in the late 90's and early 2k's. Here's the first one:

So it's close to X-mas time and this older lady comes in asking me if we sell "Drive Hard's." I'm trying my best not to laugh, and I politely ask her if she means hard drive. This sends her into a rage, saying, no, her kid told her he wanted a new DRIVE HARD for Christmas. So, I show her a box of a Maxtor hard drive, point to where it says hard drive, and say I think she just got things mixed up. This makes her even more mad and she says her son knows more about computers than I do and asks for my manager. I was the lead of the department and handled all computer related stuff, so I just told her she was dealing with the right person.

So, she takes the box, looks at it for a bit, and then throws it on down on the counter and storms off. I muttered something like "crazy old bat" and went back to work. About 30 minutes later she's back with our Operations Manager in tow. She says I refused to sell her a hard drive. He asked if that was true, I said it wasn't and she became irate when I tried to sell it to her. She denies all this, and he just tells me to sell her a hard drive and walks off.

So she's glaring at me as I hand her the hard drive from earlier. When I did I said "went home and asked your son eh?" and she says fuck you, snorts at me, and walks off. But we're not done. About 2 months later she brings in a computer she says no longer boots. We did repairs (one of the few places in this relatively small town that did), so I said I'd look at it. She was relatively nice this time. So she leaves and I take it to my work area and it's just a loose cable. But I'm don't forgive and I don't forget. So I wiped her "drive hard." She cried a bit about losing everything when I told her. In the end her "repair" cost about 400 dollars. Payback, sweet, sweet, payback.

She deserved that. It's a pity that she'd never know why that happened and learn a valuable life lesson.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fully aware of what they probably would have been doing if they had the theater to themselves.

Hey guys - in case you've ever thought about losing your cool at an annoying customer, I did it today and it fucking sucks! Call center job for a donation place and I dropped the f-bomb after having a donor make me repeat and clarify the same information several times. I flipped my mic around so she wouldn't hear me, but she caught it anyway and immediately called me out on it. I've been here for over four months and never had a problem before so management is letting it slide, but I still feel awful about it and it was a serious reality check. So yeah, don't do that shit, it does not make you feel better.
Mute button!

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Had to tell a kid three times to stop throwing a football around the store today. Finally took it from him when he tossed it to another customer, and he wouldn't quit giving me lip about it.

Basically ended like this:

ME: "If you wanna throw it around then buy it"
HIM: "Okay give it back to me and I'll buy it"
ME: "Nah I'll walk it up front for you since I can't trust you to act like a grown adult in a place of business"
HIM: "I'm sixteen" (dude was definitely older than that)
ME: (to cashier) "Please help these gentlemen get rung up for this football"
HIM'S FRIEND: "I think you mean gentleMAN, there's only one here" *points to HIM*
ME: "Oh, right, he's sixteen, he can't be a man"
HIM: (as I'm half-way back to my department) "REAL MEN DON'T HAVE PONYTAILS!!"

🤣🤣🤣

He didn't buy the football

Last edited:

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I had a lady who insisted that I not touch her panties while I was ringing them up.

TheChamp

Abused the Buy/Sell/Trade thread
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So happy I no longer work at a cinema the amount of times either of these happened
- Customer gets annoyed as they booked the wrong day and then get angry since we cannot magically go back in time and refund their tickets from 3 days ago.. no its no longer in the system and youll have to call customer service...
- Customer has somehow booked the wrong cinema and its our fault and same as above gets annoyed as we cant exchange them... no we dont have tickets on our system for a site 400 miles away

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Not really yelling, but I was working on the customer service/information desk which had a huge poster of the various payment methods we accepted, including the Visa & Mastercard logos, and tourist asked if we accepted Mastercard.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Worked in a video rental store that also rented out PS1 games. Had someone return a game claiming they didn't know it was used - despite being labelled as such - but they reason they gave was pure, distilled dumb. They said it was obviously used because there were a record of other people's scores on the disc....as in, the high score table that has default entries on it from the devs or whatever.
No matter how many times I tried to tell them that, they insisted the scores present were from previous owners of the game. Like the PS1 was somehow capable of writing data onto the game disc. Fucking numbskull.

Someone also rented out The Blair Witch Project and threatened to report us to Trading Standards. I kind of hope it was a bad attempt at a joke based on the early marketing claiming the movie was real, but he seemed legitimately pissed off about it

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
So happy I no longer work at a cinema the amount of times either of these happened
- Customer gets annoyed as they booked the wrong day and then get angry since we cannot magically go back in time and refund their tickets from 3 days ago.. no its no longer in the system and youll have to call customer service...
- Customer has somehow booked the wrong cinema and its our fault and same as above gets annoyed as we cant exchange them... no we dont have tickets on our system for a site 400 miles away

Yeah, had something similar to this at the video shop I worked it. It was a national chain in the UK (Global Video) and someone got mad at me because their card from a Scottish branch didn't let them rent tapes out in another branch in England. "I spent ages choosing these". Well, might want to have checked first ya dumbass!

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm the receiving manager. I told a customer to get out of my backroom because she's not supposed to be in there- plus, sign that says "EMPLOYEES ONLY"

She goes, "excuse me? Did you tell me to get out?"
"Yes, you can't be back here. Can you read?"
"I'LL GET OUT ALRIGHT, I'LL GET OUT OF YOUR STORE"

She went to my manager, and I got in trouble. Dude, if she got injured in anyway, pallet jack, electric jack, renegade uboat, etc I'd rather deal with the whiny customer than explaining why a customer was in my double doors.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
lmao my store just put up "No pets/only service animals allowed" signs on the front doors... let's see how crazy things get before they take 'em down.
I'm the receiving manager. I told a customer to get out of my backroom because she's not supposed to be in there- plus, sign that says "EMPLOYEES ONLY"

She goes, "excuse me? Did you tell me to get out?"
"Yes, you can't be back here. Can you read?"
"I'LL GET OUT ALRIGHT, I'LL GET OUT OF YOUR STORE"

She went to my manager, and I got in trouble. Dude, if she got injured in anyway, pallet jack, electric jack, renegade uboat, etc I'd rather deal with the whiny customer than explaining why a customer was in my double doors.
Ugh I've had to deal with a few customers who just start walking through the back rooms looking for someone to help them find an item. Always a tough call to make, especially if you're manager and have obligations to attend to. The best solution I've found (to avoid accidents as well as complaints like the one you got) is to ask them if they need help as you walk them back onto the sales floor.

Sorry to hear you got in trouble.