• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
do you have them invested in ETFs?
For the majority of it, yes (or whatever the roboadvisor is doing haha--a lot of VTI, XEF, EEMV etc), but at least some of it is just employee company stock, which performed very well. I'm pretty sure a lot of the "lift" came from the performance of all the past underlying ETF pruchases.

They do say once you hit 100k in investments, things start snowballing. The money starts making more money than you can put in manually.

Elepsis

Oct 30, 2017
So, for a clueless beginner, the generally agreed upon first step would be to start with a Vanguard index fund and start dumping money in? Based on what I've seen, your investment doubles in around 7 years given the average return rate and re-investing your gains to get compounding interest, correct? I've only had 401k going since I turned 30, for about 4 years now (and not nearly the income available to do like some are suggesting and max that out, that would be half my take-home pay). Basically I'm looking at being able to invest $10k a year, and I dont want to get too involved with the specifics because I will only do more harm than good, most likely.

Unless your 401k is egregiously bad, the most likely thing you'll want to do is to just throw that additional money into your 401k. If you're just saving for retirement, you want to take advantage of favorable tax treatment on your 401k as best you can. If you need that money for something else, then yes, starting with an index fund would be a good idea.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Tesla slaying right now, but not yet in the S&P 500... feels bad man (I only own index funds)

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife has various retirement accounts from past jobs. We want to finally get them all rolled over. She uses vanguard. Do we just call them up or do we try to get an in person meeting to do this right? It seems confusing to try to do it over the phone. Not sure how it works at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I overlooking something important?

My wife and I always joke about how we'll never be able to retire, but we're close enough to it that I decided to try to run some rough numbers (I mean, it's still 20+ years away, but it used to be 40+.) In the absolute worst case scenario (SS/pension gutted and investments don't grow at all,) it's still... livable. Not great, but with just the two of us and no mortgage (though still taxes and insurance,) it'd be fine. I know someone living on a third of what I've calculated, and she makes due even with rent (granted, it's only one person in her case.) Mid and best case scenarios are both "what cruise do we want to take this month?" kind of money.

My worst case calculations are based on:
  • >$1k/mo*2 for SS payments (even if SS collapses, my understanding is that SS revenue will support ~70% benefits)
  • Wife's pension cut in half of the lowest estimated benefit
  • Withdrawing the growth in investments (used 3% in my calc, even if there's no growth, that rate of withdrawl would last ~33 years.)
I know that's way overly simplified, but can that really be in the ballpark?

And yes, I realize that if my wife leaves me, I'm boned.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I overlooking something important?

My wife and I always joke about how we'll never be able to retire, but we're close enough to it that I decided to try to run some rough numbers (I mean, it's still 20+ years away, but it used to be 40+.) In the absolute worst case scenario (SS/pension gutted and investments don't grow at all,) it's still... livable. Not great, but with just the two of us and no mortgage (though still taxes and insurance,) it'd be fine. I know someone living on a third of what I've calculated, and she makes due even with rent (granted, it's only one person in her case.) Mid and best case scenarios are both "what cruise do we want to take this month?" kind of money.

My worst case calculations are based on:
  • >$1k/mo*2 for SS payments (even if SS collapses, my understanding is that SS revenue will support ~70% benefits)
  • Wife's pension cut in half of the lowest estimated benefit
  • Withdrawing the growth in investments (used 3% in my calc, even if there's no growth, that rate of withdrawl would last ~33 years.)
I know that's way overly simplified, but can that really be in the ballpark?

And yes, I realize that if my wife leaves me, I'm boned.
Do retired people typically stay in the market?

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA

While older school of thought was you'd be mostly out by then - given longer lifespans and earlier retirements, you pretty much have to be partially invested still at retirement for the funds you'll need 10+ years from now (or even 20-25 years from now).

So far less invested than you would be at say age 40, but being totally out at say age 62 if you're healthy and expect to live another 20-25 years is likely not optimal.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if we cash out our investments, withdrawing 3% a year lasts 33 years. The investments don't even really move the dial on a yearly basis, if they were $100k, it'd only be $3k/yr. They're not quite that bad, but we've been neglectful on saving for retirement. It seems like SS and her pension - even if absolutely gutted - are going to serve us pretty well.

I guess I've never really looked in to it, does SS really pay out an average of ~$1.4k per person per month (assuming of course they both worked all their lives) or is there some sort of adjustment for married double-earners?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

That is typically what financial advisors would recommend. As one data point, the Vanguard Target Retirement 2010 fund is 30/70 ratio of stocks / bonds right now, and that is ostensibly intended for people 10 years into retirement.

With lower bond yields these days people are considering high stock percentages to compensate. I hear more people talking about 60/40 or higher.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Depending how big my cushion is at time of retirement I would consider just staying in stocks...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I still have a few years to debate that with myself though. 😛

OP
OP
TheTrinity

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you leave the market because you're retired? I get that you'd want significantly less volatility because there's no backup of job income but it's leaving a ton of money on the table if you just pack it up completely.

I haven't completely solidified my plan but I expect to end with something like a 2-3 years of expenses cash cushion to help weather downturns through the risky first years of retirement. You can lower that a lot the further into retirement you are, and then keep a healthy mix of stocks in your investments to capture the market gains. I'd think at least 50/50 in perpetuity is reasonable unless bonds become a lot more attractive.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
NetMapel Questrade is now including Adjusted Cost Base in their tax forms! awwww yissssss no more stupid calculations using my own portfolio tracker

evilpigking

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if I should use the rest of my liquid IRA contribution for the current market discount or wait a bit longer...

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Era, question. What's the easiest way to buy stock for my daughter? She has a saving account and I have an investment account. DO i have to open an account for her as well? or can I open some sort account that i have guardianship over?

I just want to get some stocks that goes to her savings account versus mine.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era, question. What's the easiest way to buy stock for my daughter? She has a saving account and I have an investment account. DO i have to open an account for her as well? or can I open some sort account that i have guardianship over?

You actually can't open a brokerage account for minors I believe... maybe this article will help:

thecollegeinvestor.com

How To Start Investing In High School

While minors can't open brokerage accounts, there are ways for teenagers to start investing in high school.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
You actually can't open a brokerage account for minors I believe... maybe this article will help:

thecollegeinvestor.com

How To Start Investing In High School

While minors can't open brokerage accounts, there are ways for teenagers to start investing in high school.

Seems like an open a custodial account, i can control until she's 18. I was hoping I could just buy stocks in her name or something.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Found out something great today. The SECURE Act recently passed by Congress has a provision that anyone who works 500+ hours for 3 consecutive years at an employer must be allowed to contribute to a 401k starting in 2021. Guess who that applies to??? I'm so excited. :)

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Found out something great today. The SECURE Act recently passed by Congress has a provision that anyone who works 500+ hours for 3 consecutive years at an employer must be allowed to contribute to a 401k starting in 2021. Guess who that applies to??? I'm so excited. :)
Nice! Just 10 more months to wait then. :)

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread may remember that a while ago I asked about how to view my rate or return in Vanguard. I logged in for the first time in a while and it seems to be apparent now. At least when I look at 1 year or from inception. Guess I just had to wait long enough.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that's bad timing.
Lol yeah, its pretty bleak for me so far this year. I actually wanted to log on and see if I was negative overall or not (I'm not). Either way, not too worried for once cause as people have taught me enough in this thread, time in the market matters more than timing the market.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
This week has been a "don't look at your portfolio" week.
I'm buying the dip now though, haha... sticking with the good old market index ETFs. I expect next week to go up and who knows after that. A week of pretty straight downward trend is a decent correction already and due for a rebound. Whether it's a dead cat bounce is another matter.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying the dip now though, haha... sticking with the good old market index ETFs. I expect next week to go up and who knows after that. A week of pretty straight downward trend is a decent correction already and due for a rebound. Whether it's a dead cat bounce is another matter.

I had a 7 year investment loan that I liquidated.... Two weeks ago. I'm feeling REALLY good about my lucky timing on that right now loool.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This week has been a "don't look at your portfolio" week.
The absolute numbers that go down are so hard to see despite what my logic tells me. So yeah, sometimes I'll peek, freak out at such a high difference (well more than I even make in a year) and then close it and try to ignore it for a long time. Changed my monthly purchases to be completely automatic so I don't have to open my Fidelity account at all.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
My total networth dropped by 3% because of today lol. Sads.

I mean unless I count housing. Maybe that means +7%.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down ~10% of total net worth from 10 days ago, pretty brutal. (Don't own a house so most of my net worth is total stock market index funds)
A lot of my networth is emergency fund cash and a protected pension, thankfully, but hopefully this will be.. a very long ride yet.. Upwards.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of my networth is emergency fund cash and a protected pension, thankfully, but hopefully this will be.. a very long ride yet.. Upwards.

I have critical illness insurance for an emergency and I'm not planning to tap into the investments at all so I'm not too worried, but it's definitely not pretty to look at... On the bright side - the gains I made on the investment loan I liquidated two weeks ago will make real, real good investments once the crash is over. I'll just hold off on buying things until it's solidly ticking back up (probably gonna keep it in cash until like Christmas or so)

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I have critical illness insurance for an emergency and I'm not planning to tap into the investments at all so I'm not too worried, but it's definitely not pretty to look at... On the bright side - the gains I made on the investment loan I liquidated two weeks ago will make real, real good investments once the crash is over. I'll just hold off on buying things until it's solidly ticking back up (probably gonna keep it in cash until like Christmas or so)
I have so much cash waiting around in a savings account but I have to use it for a very expensive renovation instead and it's killing me a little bit.. (though the 2.8% interest it's gaining kind of soothes the pain of market turmoils right now).
Think of the gains I could have if this market bottoms out soonish if I could just use all that money though!!!
Risk management is tough lol.

Oct 27, 2017

You open a custodial account. I have one for each of my teens. You make the investment decisions until they're 18 or 21, depending on the state you live in. The money in it can only be spent on them. You have to file IRS returns for them, or they can be added to yours if they only get dividends and interest I believe. I just file IRS forms for my kids because it seemed less complicated.
I don't know how it works at other brokerages but at Schwab I can see my Roth IRA, taxable account, and both of theirs on the same page.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
So you're holding off till that "Trump re-elected rebound", eh? I SEE YOU SMILEY!

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Almost first of the month, time to update my spreadsheets.
Oh well down 5.73% month over month, not too bad I guess. Continued contributions cushioned the blow. Overall I am back to where I was in December last year. The rally was bound to end at some point.

Big picture it really doesn't look so bad.
kl4Y9Nx.png

The question now is, how low can we go. 😈😈

Stay the course regardless!

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife's 401k through vanguard works off withholding a certain percentage of her paycheck. What happens if the percentage we set leads to a higher number than$19.5k? Will they simply stop withholding anything from paychecks for the rest of the year or will they withhold to over the limit requiring active management?