• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
For the past few years I've seen people hoping for a 32/64 3D revival similar to pixel art so I thought I'd post a thread to showcase some games in that style. Feel free to post any other games like this.

Available Now
Dusk -
PC (Steam) - Coming to Switch
DUSK reintroduces you to a world where butchery and bloodshed must be mastered... if you're to survive 'til dawn. Inspired by Doom, Quake, Blood, Heretic, Hexen, Half-Life, Redneck Rampage and all your '90s favorites, while featuring a soundtrack by metal music mastermind Andrew Hulshult.
fye15zE.gif

Devil Daggers -
PC (Steam, GOG)
Inspired by 1990s FPS and arcade games, Devil Daggers is a fast-paced shooter that places you in an abyssal arena to face endless legions of demons. Armed with versatile magic daggers and a fluid movement system, fight to survive as long as you can.
P4z4FrO.gif

Diaries of a Space Port Janitor -
PC (Steam, Itch.io)
Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor is an anti-adventure game about picking up trash in an alien bazaar. Play as the Janitor, an Alaensee girlbeast with a municipally-subsidized trash incineration job and dreams of leaving the planet of Xabran's Rock far behind her.
j3DeeM3.gif

Paratopic -
PC (Steam, Itch.io)
You got caught smuggling VHS tapes across the border, and now there's hell to pay. You want to find an elusive rare bird in the forest and snap its picture. You have to kill a man in the back room of a shady diner.

This is Paratopic, an experimental first-person horror game, one of the best-rated horror titles on itch, and one of Rock, Paper, Shotgun's best games of 2018.
tMfbb16.gif

Garden Variety Body Horror - Rare Import - PC (Steam, Itch.io)
90's survival-horror and sequel to 'Prototype Mansion'. Bad Japanese VO, worse English subtitles. Rare import.
IkMBQk8.gif

Back in 1995 - PC (Steam), 3DS, PS4, Switch, Xbox One, and PSVita
Be transported to a world both concrete and indistinct, where you must uncover the mystery surrounding the disappearance of your daughter, the catastrophe that shook the city, and why you've decided to finally return.

Back in 1995 was created as a labour of love by indie developer Takaaki Ichijo as a means to replicate the unique feeling he had from his first gaming experiences: the PlayStation and the Sega Saturn.
XRpmstE.gif

Macbat 64 - PC (Steam, Itch.io)
Macbat 64 is a low poly 3D Platformer and 4:3 loveletter to the late 90s.
GznKLX6.gif

Yo Noid 2! -
PC (Itch.io) - Freeware
EWIh6v8.gif

OK/NORMAL -
PC (Steam, Itch.io)
OK/NORMAL is a short, experimental third-person horror experience, inspired by early 3D console games of the 90's. Journey through a dark, disjointed, dreamlike dimension with your cloud companion! Remember a good diet, take your medicine, and you should be fine!
EST7gYW.gif

Never Stop Sneakin' - PC (Steam), Switch, and iOS
The Department of Sneakin' is the world's most elite stealth agency. Your mission: stop time-traveling master criminal Amadeus Guildenstern.
PAgvkWw.gif

STRAFE -
PC (Steam, GOG) and PS4
STRAFE is a roguelike first-person shooter that generates unique, full levels every time you play. Hand-crafted rooms are randomly linked together and filled with a fresh buffet of hungry enemies, so every run provides a new bloody challenge as you seamlessly slaughter your way through 4 diverse locations in unknown deep space. With secrets hidden around every corner and plenty of mechanics to discover, the tutorial is just the start — so explore & experiment often!
IE3nRio.gif

Space Captain McCallery - Episode 1: Crash Landing - PC (Steam, Itch.io)
Space Pirate Captain McCallery has Crash Landed on an alien planet! Explore a strange and hostile alien world in this Low-Poly 3D Action-Adventure game.
A5Yk3I2.gif

Kill the Superweapon - PC (Steam, Itch.io)
3D Twin-Stick Action game where bosses can roam from room to room in pursuit of the player. Samantha Kill is on a mission to take down Abaddon Inc. and their Bio-Mechanical Supersoldiers.
JMOkWqs.gif

Anodyne 2: Return to Dust - PC (Steam)
In this sequel to Anodyne, traverse a moody, 3D world and surreal 2D spaces, with PSX and 16-bit-influenced art styles. Play as Nova, the Nano Cleaner, and collect dangerous Nano Dust for the mysterious entity, "The Center".
Qrzl3KC.gif

In Development

Hotshot Racing -
PC (Steam), PS4, Switch, Xbox One, and Wii U (I don't see any updates posted since August so I hope this doesn't disappear like Drift Stage and 90s Super GP)
Hotshot Racing is a fast and fun arcade style racing game that takes inspiration from some of the first 3D polygon arcade racing games from 1988 to 1992 and adds modern gameplay elements of car combat and multiplayer mayhem.
DVCyJW4.gif

Synther - PC (Steam)
Synther is an FPP simulation game with adventure-like, detective elements set in a futuristic, open world. The game is innovative and reminiscent of early 3D games and DOS applications.
a51CXRy.gif

Griff The Winged Lion - PC, PS4, Xbox One
Play as Griff; a headstrong winged lion from the medieval fantasy world of Autumn Terrace. Beyond 16-bit, Griff features a new level of retro 3D Platforming with PS1 style graphics.
ml5UYWb.gif

Gibhard -
PC
A run and gun fps in procedurally generated worlds. every level is new. fight hordes of increasingly difficult enemies using a wide variety of weapons. Explore and manipulate the environment in creative ways.
TInl0vN.gif

Due Process
Due Process is a tactical FPS about planning and teamwork that rewards communication with teammates, allows players to draw a "playbook" directly onto the map during the planning phases, and presents a novel situation each play session thanks to a bounty of procedurally generated, hand-curated maps.
us19cGn.gif

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Does Horizon Chase (mobile, ps4, xbox one and switch, already out) counts ?

gs92wIS.gif

else, Fish Person Shooter (PC, in development) by ERA's own TubaZef

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oof at that 3D platformer one where a Comic Sans high res dialogue box comes up at the end of the GIF.

Most of these look great though, it's hard to tell quality.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Title is kind of weird, should have just called them low poly or something lol.

Been waiting on Anodyne 2 for a while, hope that's actually out in early 2019.

OP
OP
Dr.Social

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
Title is kind of weird, should have just called them low poly or something lol.

Probably, but I was going for stuff that actually looks close to stuff from the mid 90s as opposed to modern looking low poly stuff like Ashen or Grow Home. I should just accept that everyone else uses retro as a synonym for old.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Probably, but I was going for stuff that actually looks close to stuff from the mid 90s as opposed to modern looking low poly stuff like Ashen or Grow Home. I should just accept that everyone else uses retro as a synonym for old.
I think "angular" works for the 'low poly looking stuff that is actually high poly' but I don't see the term used that much. Then again ther earen't a ton of examples. Anyway war is shell:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I know it has its own release thread, but how could you forget about BallisticNG?

It's so retro you can play it in faux 240p with pop-in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr.Social

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
Bedlam - PC (Steam)

A fast paced FPS with an engrossing storyline written by cult Scottish author Christopher Brookmyre. You play Heather Quinn aka "Athena" trapped in a world of video games, desperate to find a way back home. Will you make it? Or will you be trapped here forever? Here's where you find out..

I just played this and figured it was worth adding to the thread. It didn't like it as much as I hoped. I figured it would have more story considering it's based on a novel, but it's mostly just repetitive shooting. A little more was starting to happen before I stopped but a bad checkpoint cost me a whole level of progress. The visuals are great though, the first area is really close to Quake 2.

wCno8UC.jpg

eJBoBr1.jpg

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Bedlam - PC (Steam)

I just played this and figured it was worth adding to the thread. It didn't like it as much as I hoped. I figured it would have more story considering it's based on a novel, but it's mostly just repetitive shooting. A little more was starting to happen before I stopped but a bad checkpoint cost me a whole level of progress. The visuals are great though, the first area is really close to Quake 2.

wCno8UC.jpg

eJBoBr1.jpg
Neat - thanks for link here

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Thanks for making this thread. I will buy every single one that hits Xbox One. I have a soft spot for 32-bit/Model 2 era 3D.
I will buy on sight Racing Apex, Griff and Ballistic especially.

Tain your game looks incredible, but if you allow me there's a lot of games with Horizon in the title lately.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Ho fck, awesome OP!

Was just thinking about how cool it would be if got more games like that again.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Great thread! I'm really glad to see this sort of style becoming a bit more popular. I know it's nowhere near as cost effective as pixel-art but when it's done as a throwback type thing it resonates a bit more for me than a lot of 2D stuff.

I'm super stoked for Anodyne 2 in particular. One of the 2 devs put out a small narrative game last year called All Our Asias with a very similar visual style that I liked a lot. Really can't wait to see what they do with a more action-oriented game.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thunder Kid is another game by the same guy as Kill the Superweapon and Space Captain McCallery. I love the concept of Crash Bandicoot meets Contra, and I'm kind of shocked it hasn't been explored more.

A lot of the games in the excellent OP looks great, but Garden Variety Body Horror looks particularly up my alley.

OP
OP
Dr.Social

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
Helltown - PC (Steam, Itch.io)
The year is 1959, you just got a job as a postman in a brand new town called Little Vale. Although the sun is shining and the birds are chirping, this town is shrouded in mystery. Something… unnatural is afoot here.

5dUScMV.jpg

d5NBKGl.gif

Zera: Myths Awaken - PC
Zera: Myths Awaken is an upcoming 3D platformer/collectathon, inspired by such classics as #SpyrotheDragon, #CrashBandicoot, #SuperMario64 etc.

Sd5zF15.gif

Originally a Spyro fan game, demo available.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I weirdly love ths aesthetic, having hated it back when it was relevant (I was into PS1 when I already had a Voodoo 1, and it just didn't compare at all)

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my kind of thread. I'd love to get some thoughts on how Strafe is nowadays. I eagerly awaited its release after that awesome 90's style trailer came out, but was disappointed when it finally came. The procedural generation created levels that weren't fun to explore the way old Doom and Quake levels were, the combat was overly punishing, and I constantly ran out of ammo because the game never wanted me to have any.

I also didn't like the way the game wanted to throw different weapons at me constantly rather than letting me use the ones I wanted and just giving me ammo for those. I like being able to always rely on a shotgun or chaingun, and I like switching to my weaker pistols or a handy chainsaw to conserve ammo for my more precious guns and harder fights. Strafe didn't want to convey that feeling on me, instead just giving me very little ammo and forcing me to use new weapons that I may or may not want to use. But I admitedly haven't touched it much since launch, and it appears to still be doing well. Have they improved it for the better?

Conversely, I've been LOVING Dusk. It's exactly what I wanted out of a 90's throwback cooridor shooter. Big ass levels, great weapon variety, and fun ass weapons to use, the dual wielding. It's just a goddamn blast. And not to mention that nu-metal soundtrack. Heavy riffs with faint chords. Just perfect. Also dig the backwoods cult theme. Really, I can't say enough good things about Dusk. Go play it, everyone. It's the indie, low-poly version of Doom 2016, and in many ways surpasses even that fucking stellar game.

I'll also pimp my current obsession- Project Warlock. It just came out at the tail end of last year, initially as a GOG-exclusive, but it's now on Steam. The game looks and plays like a combination of Doom and Hexen/Heretic, with bespoke levels, and a hub area where you can build your character more towards magic or guns. Its art style is one of its strongest elements- 2D sprites in 3D levels, and the sprites are colorful and animated beautifully. Watching a succubus shoot blood everywhere as it dies gives you the same satisfying feeling that you got from watching a cacodemon in Doom plop to the ground, oozing blue blood and green eyes.

That game, again is PROJECT WARLOCK
GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/project_warlock
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/893680/Project_Warlock/
Opencritic - 81: https://opencritic.com/game/6796/project-warlock

OP
OP
Dr.Social

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
WRATH: Aeon of Ruin - PC (Steam, GOG) Early Access Summer 2019 - PC, Mac, Linux, XBO, PS4, Switch, Full Release Early 2020
3D Realms, creators of Duke Nukem 3D, Prey, and Max Payne, presents a hard-core first person shooter, powered by the legendary Quake-1 Tech. Crafted by the hands of Quake-scene necromancers, WRATH is the real deal. You will not survive...
diR5HaW.gif

Super Galaxy Guardian Luna - PC (Itch.io) - Available now
Super Galaxy Guardian Luna is a third-person-shooter/adventure game, taking place across several worlds. You play as Luna a new Guardian recruit just out of the Academy. You travel across the galaxy in her personal ship liberating worlds from the massive Xhomic Empire. Meeting new species and friends along the way.
yKfhzZl.gif

Omnibus - PC (Steam, GOG) - Available Now
OmniBus is next-to-last gen physics game about the most powerful bus in the universe that can't stop or even slow down for reasons incomprehensible to the simple human mind.
w8KYoDy.gif

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Super Galaxy Guardian Luna is giving me crazy Jet Force Gemini vibes. I'll have to check that one out.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Yo! Noid II: Enter the Void was robbed, being released in the same year as Odyssey & all. It's genuinely a top-tier platformer & I hope the team goes on to make something like it down the line.

OP
OP
Dr.Social

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
Far Blade - PC (Itch.io) - Available Now (Early Access)
Far Blade is a hand crafted (not procedural generated) boss rush adventure. Explore a mysterious land, battle huge creatures and unravel the meaning behind the journey. Far Blade uses a specialized technique that generates 3d models with a pixel art style.

A Short Hike - PC (Steam and Itch.io) - Available Now
Hike, climb, and soar through the peaceful mountainside landscapes of Hawk Peak Provincial Park. Follow the marked trails or explore the backcountry as you make your way to the summit. Along the way, meet other hikers, discover hidden treasures, and take in the world around you.

Core Decay - PC and Mobile - Coming Soon
Core Decay is an upcoming retro FPS for mobile and PC. Explore derelict facilities, uncover a vast conspiracy, install cybernetic upgrades as you gain levels, and find a ton of unique weapons and powerups in an old-school shooter inspired by classics such as Doom, Quake and Descent.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So can I play these retro styled games on an old pc? Or do I need something beefy to play them?

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no mention of Prodeus. Looks too modern? I like the idea of combining pixelated textures with modern PBR rendering. Could use some resizing of weapons UI, but you can disable the faux-visor, at least.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised no mention of Prodeus. Looks too modern? I like the idea of combining pixelated textures with modern PBR rendering. Could use some resizing of weapons UI, but you can disable the faux-visor, at least.

I was sceptical at first but it looks like a mid 90s FMV game come to life!

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
huh. i wonder if i'd like this more than hat in time, which i wanted to love but did little for me
i know this post is months old, but macbat is more an hourlong series of nostalgia-riffing vignettes than a full on banjo kazooie-length platformer. I think its a neat game that does what it sets out to do in a perfect length of time, but its not some hidden big indie platformer if thats what you're looking for.

OP
OP
Dr.Social

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
So can I play these retro styled games on an old pc? Or do I need something beefy to play them?

It depends, most of these games have low system requirements.

No, that fits, just wasn't aware of it. Looks great.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

That looks ridiculously good. Pixel art and modern lighting are always a great combo.

Jun 7, 2018
It might be more of the modern kind of "low poly" than the thread's meant to be, not really sure as it's a thin line and kind of subjective, but Morphite probably fits the category of retro 3D indie games.
hsa2j7u509hb.gif

Morphite-10.gif

morphite.gif

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

Regardless of whether or not this fits, I'm just grateful to now be aware of it.