• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I was just offering up another option next time I'll keep my mouth shut. I didn't know it was a competition with only one right answer.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Might finally get a chance to have a retro setup since I'll have my own small house soon. I guess it's time to save money and find out what are my best options.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you need to know about it?
in your experience is it worth getting to plug into a vga monitor or will it make no difference to plug in direct without it?

i was looking at the other boxes on the website but there seems to be like 3 options. kuro, toro and (one more i forgot the name)

i heard toro can create scanlines for 480p and wondering if that is a good effect or not. (or was that the gameboy player? GDI with component cables)

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in your experience is it worth getting to plug into a vga monitor or will it make no difference to plug in direct without it?

i was looking at the other boxes on the website but there seems to be like 3 options. kuro, toro and (one more i forgot the name)

i heard toro can create scanlines for 480p and wondering if that is a good effect or not. (or was that the gameboy player? GDI with component cables)
The Toro is a very versatile box. Though I still only have a Kuro, I probably should upgrade to a Toro. lol

According to the Behar website it can output 15 and 31khz RGB that can play well with the Framemeister from the SCART connector.

I'm not sure what you mean by "plug in directly without it" you need a VGA box to extract RGB from the DC and the toro is probably the current best way to do it (they also have an HDMI box, but that's just analog to digital) so I can't recommend this highly enough.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
On the MLiG discord alot of people have had problems with their toros, in that the cable that connects to the dc and then to the toro seems to break easily. One of their other devices (I forget which one) had issues and one of the guys in the Discord and I think Ste basically had to redesign the RGB lines through it. There's been some questions about their quality/quality control lately. Though a lot of people are also really happy with their Toros, just some food for thought.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Wonder how many people that shouldn't be trying this will try it. At least RetroRGB constantly told people how potentially dangerous this could be.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the MLiG discord alot of people have had problems with their toros, in that the cable that connects to the dc and then to the toro seems to break easily. One of their other devices (I forget which one) had issues and one of the guys in the Discord and I think Ste basically had to redesign the RGB lines through it. There's been some questions about their quality/quality control lately. Though a lot of people are also really happy with their Toros, just some food for thought.
That's a bummer. In the comparison I've seen, the toro has cleaner video than other readily available solutions so it's a surprise that someone have to take as drastic an action as redesigning RGB lines. What the hell? You got a link to that?

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the toro that needed the mods, it was one of their other boxes, could have been an older design. Sorry this was last year I think, no screen grabs that I know off, and I don't think it's been discussed anywhere else outside of the discord. It also wasn't a big discussion, just one of the other people posting in it, made a few comments about needing to do such.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Lot of information here - whats my best option for Wii/PS2? I tried component cables with my Wii but the picture is black and white and I can't figure out why. Preferably looking for stuff under $100.

Check the TV is using the correct signal and cables. Component cables are red, green, blue. If you connect composite cables (red, yellow, white) into component inputs, you may get a black and white screen until you tell the TV it's composite. So if you have compnent cables, make sure your TV is set up for component.

Try to go into the Wii setup to make sure you are using the correct signal as well. You can choose 480p for component, and 480i for composite/s-video. You can also do a similiar thing on the PS2 dashboard.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh shit! I gotta line up working Wii!
And one that's compatible. Mine isn't so I'd need to get a new one if I wanted to use this.

QDNCgXdl.jpg

Ir9HzuQl.png

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll get Wii Dual or GCN Dual when the HDMI can integer upscale with scanlines. Native res is non-integer upscaled on virtually every television out there. OSSC is a better solution for many; for example 4K LG OLEDs will accept 960p and double it to 1920p with thin black lines. Feed it 480p and you get a 4.5x scale.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll get Wii Dual or GCN Dual when the HDMI can integer upscale with scanlines. Native res is non-integer upscaled on virtually every television out there. OSSC is a better solution for many; for example 4K LG OLEDs will accept 960p and double it to 1920p with thin black lines. Feed it 480p and you get a 4.5x scale.
The Wii Dual also cleans up the analog signal on the Wii, which can then be integer scaled more easily. It'd be nice to find a good HDM integer scaler though.

Oct 27, 2017
Limited Run Games has preorders up for a PS1/2 HDMI adapter from Pound. I'm curious to hear how it turns out, since I've heard their Xbox and Dreamcast ones were disappointing.

Wonder how many people that shouldn't be trying this will try it. At least RetroRGB constantly told people how potentially dangerous this could be.

His comment about the Genesis having really good composite video quality made me laugh.

I usually enjoy his videos, but sometimes it really feels like he's in his own little bubble and has no exposure to anything outside of it, or desire to expand.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
His comment about the Genesis having really good composite video quality made me laugh.

I usually enjoy his videos, but sometimes it really feels like he's in his own little bubble and has no exposure to anything outside of it, or desire to expand.
He also made a follow up video to fix that he was constantly backfeeding the TVs micro controller with +5V with the way he installed the switch.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Limited Run Games has preorders up for a PS1/2 HDMI adapter from Pound. I'm curious to hear how it turns out, since I've heard their Xbox and Dreamcast ones were disappointing.

From what I've heard... it's kind of garbo. It flat out doesn't work with games in 480p mode when enabling a pass through feature for incoming 480p on the cable would probably cost nothing. It also upscales 720 and only 720 for... reasons. I think simple line doubling with 480p pass through would have made it a much better product.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard... it's kind of garbo. It flat out doesn't work with games in 480p mode when enabling a pass through feature for incoming 480p on the cable would probably cost nothing. It also upscales 720 and only 720 for... reasons. I think simple line doubling with 480p pass through would have made it a much better product.

I was just looking for impressions and was weirded out to see next to no discussion on ERA on what sounded like an interesting product. This is helpful info, though. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017

That is disappointing to hear. I didn't even have high expectations for it, and it managed to fail even that. Lack of 480p support is baffling.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, I was looking online if I could fix some issues on a trinitron I have, and quickly learned CRTs have some pretty beefy capacitors.
It's crazy to think about the way I'd pop the cap on CRTs back in the day. In HS I did a co-op placement at a PC repair shop that would supply old computer terminals to some clients so I'd have to clean them and internally adjust the brightness on them with a couple of pots before closing it up and going through the rest of my tests. The full time techs there just gave me two long screwdrivers and I would lodge one into the grounded frame then pop the cap with the other one while the two of them were touching. So stupid they didn't even quickly solder a clip to a screwdriver to use it that way. I didn't know any better to appreciate how dangerous it really was.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i just picked up a second non TMSS genesis today

-VA2: Use two separate sound amps/mixers for Mono and Stereo sound. They provide some rather heavy filtering at 3.39KHz, resulting in sound output with a perfect balance of high bass and clean high-ends. Sounds phenomenal EXCEPT when games have loud sound, in which case the VA2 Genesis Model 1's sound output gets crunchy and garbled. With those games, the audio quality could range from perfectly listenable but distorted to downright nasty. The preamp on these boards has its gain set way too high, resulting in this distorted sound.
-VA3 to VA6: These boards use the same two circuits as the VA2 board, but with three modifications. The first is the gain on the preamp which has been drastically reduced to fix the distortion induced by the VA2 board's excessive gain. Second, these boards have slightly more muffled sound as their low-pass filters are heavier with the filtering occurring at 2.84KHz instead. Bass is more pronounced as a result. Lastly, the Mono mixing circuit has been changed from a simple buffer to a low-gain amplifier to compensate for the lower gain of the preamp.

i have a VA2 but it distorts over my speakers

and the one i just picked up is either VA3-6 as there is no distortion using the same output level and wiring to my sound system. A and B ing them with street of rage 2 for about an hour.

i guess i have both to go back and forth with.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just looking for impressions and was weirded out to see next to no discussion on ERA on what sounded like an interesting product. This is helpful info, though. Thanks!

That is disappointing to hear. I didn't even have high expectations for it, and it managed to fail even that. Lack of 480p support is baffling.

I would just stay away from Pound cables for basically any console.
They fail at basic shit. For the Dreamcast all they've gotta do is convert analog to digital RGB and yet the cable can't help but fuck with the image integrity for a bizarre result.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally got a ps1/2 retro access cable with light gun and sync stripper.

i was so happy they were finally in stock after 10am.

i own scart one from the uk site but wanted the one with the new caps to avoid a dark picture going between ps1 and 2

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Simple and kinda crap video of the RetroTINK-2x I just received last week. Playing Viewpoint on Neo Geo CD.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i'm planning on getting a new TV but none of them seem to have component ports anymore (oddly the ones in the uk still carry scart and composite ports) are there any decently priced component to hdmi that'll play in 480p/576i? i keep seeing people throwing framemeister around but i looked at that and they cost more than the tv

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
i'm planning on getting a new TV but none of them seem to have component ports anymore (oddly the ones in the uk still carry scart and composite ports) are there any decently priced component to hdmi that'll play in 480p/576i? i keep seeing people throwing framemeister around but i looked at that and they cost more than the tv

I do not have it yet, but the RetroTINK 2X can take component, composite and S-video to HDMI 480p. Does not have support for Scart or RGB, so you would also need a transcoder. The RetroThink is about 100 USD.

If there is decent cheaper alternative to this, I would also like to know, as I need to capture video.

Oct 27, 2017

I'd stay away from the Framemeister anyway for 4K TVs. It has issues with HDMI 2.0 ports for some reason. There's the OSSC, it's not cheap, but it's cheaper than the Framemeister.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
See my post directly above yours. $110 for proper component line doubling on your HDTV as modoversus notes. It accepts composite, s-video and component. It outputs at 480p after doubling from the 240p input signal.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
Finally got around to using my Toro Box and I am very pleased! Previously used a Performance VGA Adapter especially for it's PC passthrough abilities for back when I still used my VGA monitors as the main display of my computers. Toro had both VGA and SCART hookups which are perfect for my current PVM/VGA CRT setup!

I know davidwhangchoi wanted to know about it's scanlines feature and well I wouldn't recommend them on an actual VGA monitor:

With scanlines on:

Without scanlines:

Took some shots of the game on my LCD TV for reference
With scanlines:

Without scanlines:

In short: I love this box and highly recommend it, especially if you have access to RGB and VGA sources like I do!

On another note, I went over to my Parents' place and remembered they still had our old Philips 36" TV (Model 36PT71B129) that used to be the Living Room set growing up. Has a couple S-Video inputs as well as Component although it's a 15Khz set. Honestly if I didn't luck out with the 2 PVMs, I probably would have taken this set off their hands once it got demoted to "Basement TV" XD
Took my PSP-3000 with component cables to get reacquainted with it's 240p/408i abilities
And since PSP is small and non-cumbersome and can output PS1 games at their native res....perfect!

Oct 27, 2017
So ah, I definitely feel like a dolt for asking but: where's the best place to go about purchasing an OSSC in the US these days? I seem to be having trouble using Google to find a store.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man I recently went from using composite on an hd tv for my old games straight to using scart/bnc on a pvm. I expected an improvement, but it really blew my away. The genesis especially looks amazing on it. I dont think I can go back after this so I hope this tv lasts a long time lol.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Man I recently went from using composite on an hd tv for my old games straight to using scart/bnc on a pvm. I expected an improvement, but it really blew my away. The genesis especially looks amazing on it. I dont think I can go back after this so I hope this tv lasts a long time lol.
Genesis composite is terrible, while it's RGB is amazing. So you went from the bottom of the bottom (well, RF excluded) to the top. I couldn't make the jumps in 2-1 on my HDTV and thought I completely lost it. Moving to a CRT, I was like, wow this is much easier!

InfiniteBlue

Nov 1, 2017
Finally got an OSSC this week as a replacement for my deteriorating 20M4U...this thing is a monster. 1600x1200 line5x with scanlines on my VGA CRT is just as good as the PVM, if not better imo.

What I wasn't expecting, was for transcoded 480p Wii content to actually be improved too! I had been previously using the Garo which seems to have some slight ringing going on when used with the Wii, but that's no longer there with the OSSC. I'm guessing that's the low pass filter in effect?

I also picked up two HDMI to VGA converters, one for the OSSC and the other for my Wii U. Never going back to transcoded YPbPr 720p for the latter - the difference is night and fucking day. People throw shade on the Wii's analog out but the Wii U's is an absolute dumpster fire.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know any specifics of that supergun, but I believe (and maybe I'm wrong and some one can correct me) but a lot of Superguns don't take into account that typical arcade boards are driving speakers directly. So they don't adjust the signal for something that is going to go into a device that isn't directly driving the speakers. I think that's one of the reasons the Windy City Gaming (I think that's the name of the company) have a switch on their super gun for if the supergun is directly driving speakers or not.

Again I could be miss understanding this stuff some what myself but I BELIEVE that is the issue with some superguns and feeding their signal into an OSSC or framemeister.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know any specifics of that supergun, but I believe (and maybe I'm wrong and some one can correct me) but a lot of Superguns don't take into account that typical arcade boards are driving speakers directly. So they don't adjust the signal for something that is going to go into a device that isn't directly driving the speakers. I think that's one of the reasons the Windy City Gaming (I think that's the name of the company) have a switch on their super gun for if the supergun is directly driving speakers or not.

Again I could be miss understanding this stuff some what myself but I BELIEVE that is the issue with some superguns and feeding their signal into an OSSC or framemeister.

Hmm. I might not take the risk then and just get something else in instead, the supergun only set me back £30 and i need a PSU amongst other parts for it so hey.

now to tell my wife I'm going to get a CRT...

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey guys! finally got my Corio running
OTydjtjm.jpg

I hooked up my PS3 via hdmi to a C2-750, 480p downscaled to 240p.

here's some pics of Megaman 9 running off PS3 via HDMI to C2-750 to PVM 14N6U via RGB:
yRCI42a.jpg

J3FsJv9.jpg

TzljeHv.jpg