• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I get my OSSC tomorrow but after ordering the remote from VGP they sent an email that they actually ran out and that they should be getting more on the 8th. Due to overseas shipping I probably won't get my remote till the end of the month now if there's no further delays. So guess I kinda just stare at my OSSC till then.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all, so I just recently started looking into getting an OSSC after searching for quite some time for a way to improve GameCube and Wii video quality (I have a Wii component cable but I find it still looks pretty blurry and ugly going directly into my TV without any external video processor, and I wasn't previously interested in an OSSC for consoles older than the GameCube because I find stuff like the NES and SNES Mini more convenient).

Initially I was looking at HDMI console mods, etc. but then I randomly found some videos online of a Wii going through an OSSC and was really impressed with the video quality.

I guess my question is would an OSSC be a good choice for getting sharp (as possible) pixels on Wii, GameCube, original Xbox, and other 480i and 480p sources? Also does it work well with the N64, and if so is s-video the best option to go from the N64 to the OSSC (without modding the console)?

My ideal would be getting sharp pixels as close as possible to what Wii games look like running on the Dolphin emulator outputting at the Wii's native resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
The OSSC is good for 480p, but personally I'm not a fan of the bob deinterlacing it does for 480i content. That said with GC, Wii, and OG Xbox most games support 480p. With the N64 you'd want to get it RGB modded if you're going to run it into the OSSC. I'm pretty sure one of or both of the more advanced RGB mods for it support the DeBlur that techniques that you find on the UltraHDMI mod for it.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, so I just recently started looking into getting an OSSC after searching for quite some time for a way to improve GameCube and Wii video quality (I have a Wii component cable but I find it still looks pretty blurry and ugly going directly into my TV without any external video processor, and I wasn't previously interested in an OSSC for consoles older than the GameCube because I find stuff like the NES and SNES Mini more convenient).

Initially I was looking at HDMI console mods, etc. but then I randomly found some videos online of a Wii going through an OSSC and was really impressed with the video quality.

I guess my question is would an OSSC be a good choice for getting sharp (as possible) pixels on Wii, GameCube, original Xbox, and other 480i and 480p sources? Also does it work well with the N64, and if so is s-video the best option to go from the N64 to the OSSC (without modding the console)?

My ideal would be getting sharp pixels as close as possible to what Wii games look like running on the Dolphin emulator outputting at the Wii's native resolution.

Sharp as possible without mods and bob deinterlacing is going to get you some place different from what an emulator can do.

The Wii's video has problems that aren't present in an emu. Some recent mods have been able to help clean it up.

Damn, I get my OSSC tomorrow but after ordering the remote from VGP they sent an email that they actually ran out and that they should be getting more on the 8th. Due to overseas shipping I probably won't get my remote till the end of the month now if there's no further delays. So guess I kinda just stare at my OSSC till then.

I might be wrong, but don't the buttons on the OSSC also help control some of the features?
I've always used a remote, but I think you should be able to use some basic functions?

Try playing around with the PCB Buttons - OSSC Wiki - PCB Buttons - and see if that gets you where you need to be.
I really wish the BTN0 button was used to scroll through the menu and the BTN1 button was just an Enter button - odd decision there.

If you can get into the menu, I would recommend just going straight for the default settings with 480p Line2x - but also try enabling Upsample2x and scanlines (vertical or horizontal) to see if you like that look better.

As it is, the digitization of 480p content through the OSSC might already look better than normal, but...it's hard to say and depends on your TV.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I might be wrong, but don't the buttons on the OSSC also help control some of the features?
I've always used a remote, but I think you should be able to use some basic functions?

Try playing around with the PCB Buttons - OSSC Wiki - PCB Buttons - and see if that gets you where you need to be.
I really wish the BTN0 button was used to scroll through the menu and the BTN1 button was just an Enter button - odd decision there.

If you can get into the menu, I would recommend just going straight for the default settings with 480p Line2x - but also try enabling Upsample2x and scanlines (vertical or horizontal) to see if you like that look better.

As it is, the digitization of 480p content through the OSSC might already look better than normal, but...it's hard to say and depends on your TV.
Sadly they only allow you changing the input and scanlines on and off. I gotta just wait for the remote. Strangely the OSSC is reading my inputs at 525i/525p instead of 480i/480p. Guess that's another thing I need the remote to adjust.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Sharp as possible without mods and bob deinterlacing is going to get you some place different from what an emulator can do.

The Wii's video has problems that aren't present in an emu. Some recent mods have been able to help clean it up.

Hrm. Do you know of any non-emulation solutions that get better picture quality for Wii than this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8KByO9bgDU

This is the video that made me think maybe an OSSC might be a better choice than a Wii Dual HDMI mod for me (the only direct feed videos I've been able to find of the Wii Dual's HDMI output don't look nearly as good as this, but Retro RGB's video on the Wii Dual had some weird unintentional post-processing that softened the image and made the side by side comparisons almost useless, which he acknowledged in the comments for the video).

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OSSC on Wii is freaking fantastic especially 960p (if your TV is up to the task to windowbox 960p by doubling it to 1920p) for the most part.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations on component switchers? I watched the My Life in Gaming video and the Monoprice one they said they use doesn't seem to be in production anymore, and the one by Superg is way more expensive than I'm willing to spend on a switcher.

OSSC on Wii is freaking fantastic especially 960p (if your TV is up to the task to windowbox 960p by doubling it to 1920p) for the most part.
I always hear people say the Wii's output is lackluster. Is this nonsense? I think I recall My Life in Gaming addressing this and saying it was indeed nonsense, but I can't quite remember.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations on component switchers? I watched the My Life in Gaming video and the Monoprice one they said they use doesn't seem to be in production anymore, and the one by Superg is way more expensive than I'm willing to spend on a switcher.

I always hear people say the Wii's output is lackluster. Is this nonsense? I think I recall My Life in Gaming addressing this and saying it was indeed nonsense, but I can't quite remember.

This is one of the few times I might recommend getting a cheap component switch off Amazon or the like. I'm only saying this because I use a 4 input GE switch I got several years ago, and it's still working like a champ. If there is degraded quality, which there might be, I certainly can't tell.

The Wii output is indeed a bit fuzzier when compared to Gamecube component. Also, later models are said to have better output, but I couldn't find any pictures of that anymore.
Whatever the case, when using an OSSC, I really think Wii games look fantastic.

With that said, a plug-and-play device like the GC component solutions we've been seeing would be great to have for the Wii.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hrm. Do you know of any non-emulation solutions that get better picture quality for Wii than this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8KByO9bgDU

This is the video that made me think maybe an OSSC might be a better choice than a Wii Dual HDMI mod for me (the only direct feed videos I've been able to find of the Wii Dual's HDMI output don't look nearly as good as this, but Retro RGB's video on the Wii Dual had some weird unintentional post-processing that softened the image and made the side by side comparisons almost useless, which he acknowledged in the comments for the video).
Since Wii Dual unfortunately doesn't line double (yet), I can't say there's a defacto solution right now. It's why I chose the word "different" rather than "better". In my earlier post.

There's a good chance in the future that Wii Dual will incorporate a line multiplier.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the few times I might recommend getting a cheap component switch off Amazon or the like. I'm only saying this because I use a 4 input GE switch I got several years ago, and it's still working like a champ. If there is degraded quality, which there might be, I certainly can't tell.
Couldn't a random cheap component switcher result in decreased quality, much like cheap component cables? I'd much rather know specific models which people have used and haven't experienced degradation.

Oct 27, 2017

The OSSC doesn't have s-video input so you'll need something like the Retrotink2x to pass the video along to OSSC. It has a passthrough mode so you can let the OSSC handle the line doubling (or more), but then again the quality of the picture from the Retrotink2x and N64 over s-video might be good enough on its own!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly they only allow you changing the input and scanlines on and off. I gotta just wait for the remote. Strangely the OSSC is reading my inputs at 525i/525p instead of 480i/480p. Guess that's another thing I need the remote to adjust.

You wouldn't happen to use a Harmony remote would you? There's a tutorial on the wiki about setting it up to work with the OSSC, but I've not tried it with my own since I just ordered a remote to go with mine.

I did finally get my OSSC in and hook it up yesterday to just my Genesis. It's going to support a Genesis, SNES, and a Dreamcast. Now I need to dial in timings, which means I need to burn the 240p test suit onto a CD for my Genesis, and get a Everdrive for my SNES.

I set up Firebrand's timings for Genesis on the OSSC last night, but like the left quarter is blurry compared to the rest of the image. I can tell when I look at it, but it's not blatantly obvious, so figure I should try dialing in some timings myself.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The OSSC doesn't have s-video input so you'll need something like the Retrotink2x to pass the video along to OSSC. It has a passthrough mode so you can let the OSSC handle the line doubling (or more), but then again the quality of the picture from the Retrotink2x and N64 over s-video might be good enough on its own!

Retrotink will give you non-integer scaling on virtually every 1080p and 4K TV, terrible if you do scanlines.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the "vWii" on WiiU completely fucks up the scaling/filtering of everything. If you run a checkerboard test screen on it, you'll see the squares are drawn irregularly on both axes. It weirdly even affects 480p output.
Ah, guess it's the Wii then. That's going to pose some issues with my setup. I own Monoprice component cables for the Wii, are they high quality? I'm wondering if Dolphin is a good alternative? I definitely don't consider the PCSX2 a good alternative to actual PS2 hardware due to frequent emulation issues in a lot of games, but I hear Dolphin is way better?

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, on my OSSC I can't get any audio via the AV2 input for my connection to my SNES component cables. Have another RCA-to-3.5mm adaptor on the way to make sure it's not that. I don't think there's anything but the external switch to do to make it work, so I really hope it's my adapter cable, because I'd really have to have to RMA this thing all the way back across the ocean *sigh*.

Ah, guess it's the Wii then. That's going to pose some issues with my setup. I own Monoprice component cables for the Wii, are they high quality? I'm wondering if Dolphin is a good alternative? I definitely don't consider the PCSX2 a good alternative to actual PS2 hardware due to frequent emulation issues in a lot of games, but I hear Dolphin is way better?

What's your setup looking like? Are you mainly using Wii U to run Wii games?
Monoprice component cables are great - I have two sets that work fantastically.

If you're fine with not using real hardware to run your games, Dolphin can make games look outstanding and runs well on most computers with a decent amount of power. You may have to do a bit of fine tuning, as well.

But, I always prefer to play my games using the real hardware. There's something fascinating about seeing what the base console can do, in my opinion.

Ugh, on my OSSC I can't get any audio via the AV2 input for my connection to my SNES component cables. Have another RCA-to-3.5mm adaptor on the way to make sure it's not that. I don't think there's anything but the external switch to do to make it work, so I really hope it's my adapter cable, because I'd really have to have to RMA this thing all the way back across the ocean *sigh*.

I have an early model OSSC without the AV2 revision, so I probably won't be of much help - but, usually, the OSSC is pretty rock solid when it comes to performing it's main functions, even though it can be a bit frustration to find the issue at the time.

So, just so I'm clear on how these newer boards work, the OSSC is supposed to digitize the audio and then send the audio through the HDMI cable to your amp (or TV?). Then there is an audio toggle switch that switches from AV1 out to AV2 in - is this all correct?

Are you using the latest firmware and all that? I'm not sure if you'd need to use the audio firmware revisions or not with those boards, so it's always worth checking to see if you're running the correct audio version of the firmware - or alternatively, maybe you're not supposed to be using an audio firmware?

Would you also be able to use your adapter to plug in the audio directly from your component cables to your amplifier or other device, in case you can't get sound from your OSSC?

Sorry about my non-helpful questions - but I hope you get this sorted out!
I am fairly sure that your OSSC is OK - and I'm only saying this because I've had MANY experiences where I thought my OSSC stopped working. But, it could take a while to figure out the root problem!

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I have an early model OSSC without the AV2 revision, so I probably won't be of much help - but, usually, the OSSC is pretty rock solid when it comes to performing it's main functions, even though it can be a bit frustration to find the issue at the time.

So, just so I'm clear on how these newer boards work, the OSSC is supposed to digitize the audio and then send the audio through the HDMI cable to your amp (or TV?). Then there is an audio toggle switch that switches from AV1 out to AV2 in - is this all correct?

Are you using the latest firmware and all that? I'm not sure if you'd need to use the audio firmware revisions or not with those boards, so it's always worth checking to see if you're running the correct audio version of the firmware - or alternatively, maybe you're not supposed to be using an audio firmware?

Would you also be able to use your adapter to plug in the audio directly from your component cables to your amplifier or other device, in case you can't get sound from your OSSC?

Sorry about my non-helpful questions - but I hope you get this sorted out!
I am fairly sure that your OSSC is OK - and I'm only saying this because I've had MANY experiences where I thought my OSSC stopped working. But, it could take a while to figure out the root problem!

There are three audio connections on the newer 1.6 models (not counting the HDMI port). The audio built into the SCART input, the 3.5mm headphone jack on A3 dedicated to the V3/VGA input, and a second 3.5mm jack called A2 In/A1 Out. The switch works as you described, the port either outputs the V1 SCART audio or is an input for the component video on V2 so that it gets passed through the HDMI connector.

On mine it works when the switch is set to be an output of V1, as I can hear my genesis audio out of it using headphones since that's what I have hooked up via SCART, but I get no audio on my SNES when the switch is set to input. The 3.5mm jack for V3 works fine as I get audio over HDMI from my Dreamcast.

I've thought about just running audio through my AV Receiver, since I actually think the audio directly from my Genesis setup using the dedicated audio out on the SegaCD sounds superior just going through the receiver (the OSSC seems to amplify the underlying buzz inherent to most of the Genesis models, even the good Model 2s, but using the SegaCD outputs may bypass some of that anyway), but it would be a real mess of cables and crazy Harmony remote programming, and I"m not sure my older receiver has enough inputs to support such a setup, I haven't done the math.

I've tried even running my cellphone headphone audio out into it and get nothing. I really think it's borked, but I'll contact VideoGamePerfection and see what they want to do. Even though I could work around it I'd prefer to have a unit that is completely working for the cost of the thing. Just annoying that I may have to RMA it and wait another who knows how long for a working unit. I wish there was a US vendor for this damn thing.

Last edited:
There are three audio connections on the newer 1.6 models (not counting the HDMI port). The audio built into the SCART input, the 3.5mm headphone jack on A3 dedicated to the V3/VGA input, and a second 3.5mm jack called A2 In/A1 Out. The switch works as you described, the port either outputs the V1 SCART audio or is an input for the component video on V2 so that it gets passed through the HDMI connector.

On mine it works when the switch is set to be an output of V1, as I can hear my genesis audio out of it using headphones since that's what I have hooked up via SCART, but I get no audio on my SNES when the switch is set to input. The 3.5mm jack for V3 works fine as I get audio over HDMI from my Dreamcast.

I've tried even running my cellphone headphone audio out into it and get nothing. I really think it's borked, but I'll contact VideoGamePerfection and see what they want to do. Even though I could work around it I'd prefer to have a unit that is completely working for the cost of the thing. Just annoying that I may have to RMA it and wait another who knows how long for a working unit. I wish there was a US vendor for this damn thing.

EDIT: Just found this thread over at video game perfection forums of someone who seemed to be having the exact same issue as you - might be worth looking into?

I would say if both audio jacks are working properly, then its your adapter or cables.
The only other thing that would make sense would be the toggle switch being broken.

If it's digitizing audio for AV3, then the digitization aspect is likely working properly - and if the AV1 jack produces sound, then the jack is fine.
So, that leaves only the toggle switch as the only mechanical problem on the OSSC itself remaining - so that could be faulty?

The rest would be due to external factors (cables, for example) or some sort of firmware limitation, like the Down-Sampling option.

Do you have any other Nintendo console (RGB N64 or PAL GameCube) or just another system with component (PS2/Xbox/Wii, etc.) that you could test out?

If nothing else works, you could always try a fresh firmware update to see if that fixes anything...it has for me in the past!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
My OSSC arrived in the mail today, the same day as my Dreamcast RGB cable! Dreamcast looks great with 31khz output doubled through the OSSC, and my TCL 6 series has no trouble with the resolution.

My next challenge is using the Retrotink2x as a transcoded to pass its undoubled 240p signal through to the OSSC. To do so, I'll need a high quality HDMI to VGA adapter since the OSSC doesn't have an HDMI in.

VideoGamePerfection sells one they've tested, but I live in the US and don't want to unnecessarily import something I might be able to find on Amazon.

Can anyone vouch for a quality adapter for purchase domestically in the US?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Got my remote! So all the OSSCs options are available to me.

Are there any recommended settings I should dial in? The device will, at least for now, be used entirely with PS2, Xbox, and Wii.

Furthermore, I can't get Line3x to work with 480i on the LG B7. Line3x doesn't apply bob deinterlacing which is what I wanted, letting my B7 handle it. Sadly, despite the LG OLEDs reputation for handling anything the OSSC throws at it, I get an Invalid Format screen when set to 480i Line3x. I instead have to go up to Line4x and get bob deinterlacing.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are there any recommended settings I should dial in? The device will, at least for now, be used entirely with PS2, Xbox, and Wii.

Furthermore, I can't get Line3x to work with 480i on the LG B7. Line3x doesn't apply bob deinterlacing which is what I wanted, letting my B7 handle it. Sadly, despite the LG OLEDs reputation for handling anything the OSSC throws at it, I get an Invalid Format screen when set to 480i Line3x. I instead have to go up to Line4x and get bob deinterlacing.
Edit: Actually the OSSC does triple 480i. I just had to scroll further in the wiki. Apparently, it spits out an interlaced signal. I can't imagine more than a handful of modern TVs recognize it.

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017

I was able to get a picture on my x8500c by keying in an optimised mode for PS2, although the aspect ratio is a bit out of whack and my set doesn't give me a great deal of control to correct it.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to get a picture on my x8500c by keying in an optimised mode for PS2, although the aspect ratio is a bit out of whack and my set doesn't give me a great deal of control to correct it.
No idea how to do timings, is there a tutorial for a noob? Googling failed me.

Additionally I can set my PS3 (I'm using an '06 PS3 for PS2) to always output 480p and therefore deinterlace 480i games and just have the OSSC pass 480p Line2x, but I figured the OSSC and my TV would do a better job than the PS3 handling the signal.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
No idea how to do timings, is there a tutorial for a noob? Googling failed me.

Optimal timings are just precision settings for each console giving you the best output for that particular video signal. Once you have inputted your timings you then save them as a profile, I'm running a SNES, MD and PS2 currently and it's a breeze to switch between them. Have a look at this great SNES tutorial by firebrandx that will show the process of inputting them manually and the adjustments that you'll need to make.

There is also a web based application where you can input multiple profiles and then export them and put them on an SD card. Firebrandx has quite a few consoles listed on his website. But the junkerhq link I posted earlier is the only place where you'll find some PS2 settings.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Optimal timings are just precision settings for each console giving you the best output for that particular video signal. Once you have inputted your timings you then save them as a profile, I'm running a SNES, MD and PS2 currently and it's a breeze to switch between them. Have a look at this great SNES tutorial by firebrandx that will show the process of inputting them manually and the adjustments that you'll need to make.

There is also a web based application where you can input multiple profiles and then export them and put them on an SD card. Firebrandx has quite a few consoles listed on his website. But the junkerhq link I posted earlier is the only place where you'll find some PS2 settings.
Hm, my concern is that those timings were no doubt done on an actual PS2. I'm worried that through a PS3 it could be different.

Edit: I've messed around with the OSSC some more.

I tried dialing in those timings and it didn't work, I ended up getting just the top quarter of the screen filling the entire image, so I reset.

After that I was just comparing the various modes and found that on my LG B7 setting 480i to Passthru actually resulted in a much sharper image. Line4x was noticeably more blurry by comparison. Yet it was the opposite on 480p. 480p Passthru is blurrier than Line2x mode.

The OSSC is also still reading 525i and 525p on its display, why? I'm not PAL.

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Hm, my concern is that those timings were no doubt done on an actual PS2. I'm worried that through a PS3 it could be different.

Edit: I've messed around with the OSSC some more.

I tried dialing in those timings and it didn't work, I ended up getting just the top quarter of the screen filling the entire image, so I reset.

After that I was just comparing the various modes and found that on my LG B7 setting 480i to Passthru actually resulted in a much sharper image. Line4x was noticeably more blurry by comparison. Yet it was the opposite on 480p. 480p Passthru is blurrier than Line2x mode.

The OSSC is also still reading 525i and 525p on its display, why? I'm not PAL.

Sorry! that is my mistake, I didn't read your post properly, you are absolutely right those settings are for real hardware. Hope you didn't waste too much time on my account.

My understanding of PS2 on PS3 (my CECHA001 died a long time ago) is that it automatically de-interlaces the signal?, I don't think it can output via 480i. I could be wrong on that. If it is outputting a 480p signal your best bet is to just use line2x to line-double it to a nice 960p.

As for 525i and 525p the OSSC reports the line count not the resolution so don't worry it's not mishandling the signal.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry! that is my mistake, I didn't read your post properly, you are absolutely right those settings are for real hardware. Hope you didn't waste too much time on my account.

My understanding of PS2 on PS3 (my CECHA001 died a long time ago) is that it automatically de-interlaces the signal?, I don't think it can output via 480i. I could be wrong on that. If it is outputting a 480p signal your best bet is to just use line2x to line-double it to a nice 960p.

As for 525i and 525p the OSSC reports the line count not the resolution so don't worry it's not mishandling the signal.
It can do 480i via analog, so I have it connected to the OSSC via component cables. I figured my TV would do a better job deinterlacing than the PS3.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing about the PS3 is that it was kind of over built. It actually does a good job deinterlacing. It passes most tests on the calibration discs that I have. It's always possible a high end TV can do better though.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It can do 480i via analog, so I have it connected to the OSSC via component cables. I figured my TV would do a better job deinterlacing than the PS3.

Ah okay, well I'd set the console to 480p because the PS3 actually does an excellent job of de-interlacing the PS2 and you can line-double that progressive signal to 960p which will look much sharper on your set than 480i.

Funny thing about the PS3 is that it was kind of over built. It actually does a good job deinterlacing. It passes most tests on the calibration discs that I have. It's always possible a high end TV can do better though.

Yeah, but even if the TV is great at de-interlacing you're still going to get a much sharper image with 480p at line2x.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah okay, well I'd set the console to 480p because the PS3 actually does an excellent job of de-interlacing the PS2 and you can line-double that progressive signal to 960p which will look much sharper on your set than 480i.
Afaik, the line doubler option is for movies and not available on games.

Edit: Oh, you mean with an ossc hooked up to it. Yeah, never mind.

Any update on this issue? I've been wondering if you ever got it to work properly.

I'm looking forward to your impressions on the OSSC with other consoles - especially since you have an excellent TV.

I've been ok with how it handles 480i content - though I miss my Framemeister every now and then, I do NOT miss the lag or super long handshake times that go alongside that device.

Essentially, I bought the OSSC because of how little input lag it has with my consoles - additionally, my LG has incredibly low lag that makes most games play smoothly. The way it handles 480p content was a huge plus, as well.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Any update on this issue? I've been wondering if you ever got it to work properly.

I never got V2 audio working over HDMI in anything over line2x. It's kind of impossible to know if it's because of my AV Receiver, TV, or maybe the sync jitter issue you can get on the SNES. I'm just going to work around it by routing all of the audio around the OSSC. I kind of prefer the audio from my Genesis that way anyway.

The output from the OSSC looks amazing on my Pioneer Plasma even at line3x. I plan to get an LG OLED this year though, so hopefully I can go to a higher lineX setting at that point and get better, more consistent scanlines.

I haven't noticed any discernible on my launch PS3.

If you run progressive scan on the PS3 - or any device for that matter - there will inevitably be input lag on 480i games, due to the de-interlacing applied. However, the lag isn't too bad, so if you don't notice it, there's nothing to worry about. Not sure if 480i mode still has lag on the launch consoles.

Speaking of launch PS3, just be very careful with playing too long with that console - anything below an 80gb (I believe) will eventually fail, but keeping it well ventilated and maintained should make it last for a good long while!

Same with XBox and its clock capacitor, btw.

I never got V2 audio working over HDMI in anything over line2x. It's kind of impossible to know if it's because of my AV Receiver, TV, or maybe the sync jitter issue you can get on the SNES. I'm just going to work around it by routing all of the audio around the OSSC. I kind of prefer the audio from my Genesis that way anyway.

The output from the OSSC looks amazing on my Pioneer Plasma even at line3x. I plan to get an LG OLED this year though, so hopefully I can go to a higher lineX setting at that point and get better, more consistent scanlines.

Huh. That is bizarre. Have you contacted the VideoGamePerfection support directly? He can directly communicate with Marqs if necessary - it almost sounds like a firmware problem.

Well, if you have a work around that you're comfortable with, I guess it's not a big deal. I just run RCA out from my SCART and component switcher and I'm pretty satisfied with that setup. Everything should look incredible on the LG OLED!

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If you run progressive scan on the PS3 - or any device for that matter - there will inevitably be input lag on 480i games, due to the de-interlacing applied. However, the lag isn't too bad, so if you don't notice it, there's nothing to worry about. Not sure if 480i mode still has lag on the launch consoles.

Speaking of launch PS3, just be very careful with playing too long with that console - anything below an 80gb (I believe) will eventually fail, but keeping it well ventilated and maintained should make it last for a good long while!

Same with XBox and its clock capacitor, btw.

Huh. That is bizarre. Have you contacted the VideoGamePerfection support directly? He can directly communicate with Marqs if necessary - it almost sounds like a firmware problem.

Well, if you have a work around that you're comfortable with, I guess it's not a big deal. I just run RCA out from my SCART and component switcher and I'm pretty satisfied with that setup. Everything should look incredible on the LG OLED!
The PS3 is well ventilated and is jailbroken to have the fans running more. It was a Goodwill PS3 with a broken disc drive that wasn't fixed with a disc drive replacement. Who knows when it'll die, so gonna enjoy it while I can. As for the Xbox, had one of the last models made and has no clock capacitor thankfully.

That's awesome news on both consoles! Is it a 20gb or 60gb? (Or 40gb?)
I wanted to purchase a launch PS3 for the excellent de interlacing, but after researching for a while, I just got too nervous.

So, I bought a PS2 instead and now that console is probably dying. So my plan ultimately was a flop.