• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Retro AV Thread |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and More

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I've got a couple CRTs and I think it's allllllmost time, in 2019, to move on. I've used Analogue consoles and I love them.

I'm interested in an OSSC, but I use some consoles with S-Video and even composite, and I don't want to modify these consoles to output RGB. Is there some convenient and lagless hardware I can throw into the chain there to fix this? Or am I mistaken in assuming that OSSC only supports RGB?
Basically OSSC only does component or RGB input so if you want s-video and/or composite then you'd have to use a retrotink2x (it also has component input) either alone or using it to feed the OSSC.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
anyone happen to know if a thing such as a component and scart box exists? obviously they'd have to be separate connections in the box, can only seem to find scart and composite which i was thinking about just removing the composite ports and putting component into but i don't think there would be enough room

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
anyone happen to know if a thing such as a component and scart box exists? obviously they'd have to be separate connections in the box, can only seem to find scart and composite which i was thinking about just removing the composite ports and putting component into but i don't think there would be enough room
You mean a switch that handles both?

Ogs

Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine was giving away his old Sony Bravia 32" LCD TV, you know, 720p only sets, but it had a couple of SCART sockets in it so I decided to give it a whirl with my PS2.

Im legit shook how good PS1 and PS2 games look on this thing, not sure if Sony did anything for their sets back then to accommodate the old consoles, but .... its kind of like the image quality of emulation on my PC monitor (native res with integer scaling). Played through SH1/2/3 and it just looked great throughout.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I regret throwing out the Trinitron I bought for $20 off Craigslist a year ago, but the geometry issues on it really bothered me (the whole picture was rotated). Gonna try picking up another CRT locally.

I hear for retro gaming you should avoid CRTs with component inputs as they're worse at 240p and 480i? Dunno if there's any truth to that.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I regret throwing out the Trinitron I bought for $20 off Craigslist a year ago, but the geometry issues on it really bothered me (the whole picture was rotated). Gonna try picking up another CRT locally.

I hear for retro gaming you should avoid CRTs with component inputs as they're worse at 240p and 480i? Dunno if there's any truth to that.
HD CRTs are the ones to avoid (with certain exceptions). Standard Definition CRT with component inputs and S-Video are the best to get for 240p content.

Astral/H3X

Oct 25, 2017
And what's the best way to determine if a CRT is SD only if the seller gives no info?
Usually those will be the DLP widescreen TV's... And usually the TV will be printing HD all over it.
480p EDTVs *may* be fine, but typically once a manufacturer was making 480p a thing, they just went all the way to 720p stuff. Easier to get a VGA monitor for 480p.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
That Digital Foundry video finally compelled me to try hooking up a CRT (Sony CPD-220VS) I’ve had in my office to my computer. I’ve really only used it for my Dreamcast since it only has a VGA input.

But when I tried hooking it up, my computer didn’t give any resolution options or show any display. The GPU is an AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD7900 and I was using a DVI to VGA converter plug which I believe even came with the GPU. It recognized a display was attached, but that was about it.

Ended up just playing some Soul Calibur. Still looks gorgeous.

I was told this was the place to be for such questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Televator

Oct 25, 2017
That Digital Foundry video finally compelled me to try hooking up a CRT (Sony CPD-220VS) I’ve had in my office to my computer. I’ve really only used it for my Dreamcast since it only has a VGA input.

But when I tried hooking it up, my computer didn’t give any resolution options or show any display. The GPU is an AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD7900 and I was using a DVI to VGA converter plug which I believe even came with the GPU. It recognized a display was attached, but that was about it.

Ended up just playing some Soul Calibur. Still looks gorgeous.

I was told this was the place to be for such questions. Any help would be appreciated.
I’d try doing a dual monitor setup with a flat panel first to see if you can adjust settings through one screen that will get the other one working.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I’d try doing a dual monitor setup with a flat panel first to see if you can adjust settings through one screen that will get the other one working.
I was doing that. Maybe it was wrong for me to have 2 other displays going at the same time though. It’s how I could tell it recognized a display was attached, but Windows wasn’t giving me any options to set color or resolution or anything. It just showed it as display 3.

Televator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah cut down to 2. If that fails, try just booting up with the CRT. It might not be liking the different signals of the different screen tech.

Katsu Curry

Jan 28, 2018
I picked up a JVC TM-H150CG today and I am very excited!

However, I would like to ask for some help regarding what I can play natively with the right cable and what I can play with some modifications.

It seems I could play easily play PS2/GC and up with female RCA to male BNC adapters. I would like to play some Genesis/SNES but it seems to get a little more involved.

Would someone be kind enough to give me a little rundown on the potential this display has as far as retro games go?

Televator

Oct 25, 2017
I’m no CRT expert, but that looks like it’ll only do composite and S video. Composite requiring a BNC adapter, yeah.

Edit: underneath that black plate, you might be able to slide in an RGB and component module.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
S-Video looks crazy good on these. You could start with that. Or start spending and buy an RGB card and cables. I would just start with a few games in S-Video and see how you like this new CRT lifestyle.

dubc35

Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
I picked up a JVC TM-H150CG today and I am very excited!

However, I would like to ask for some help regarding what I can play natively with the right cable and what I can play with some modifications.

It seems I could play easily play PS2/GC and up with female RCA to male BNC adapters. I would like to play some Genesis/SNES but it seems to get a little more involved.

Would someone be kind enough to give me a little rundown on the potential this display has as far as retro games go?
I'm not familiar with that model but based on the picture, Composite (RCA to BNC adapters on Video A & B) and S-Video (Y/C on Video B) are your only two options. PS2 and GCN OEM S-video cables would be the way to go. SNES S-video cables are pretty easy to come by (just avoid any that include the yellow composite plug because they're not really S-Video cables). Genesis is a little different, I think it needs to be modded for S-video and it's composite is terrible. My only experience is with my OG model 1 though.

Spend some time researching here: https://www.retrorgb.com/systems.html

All of that said, there is that covered blank section above the inputs that may indicate an ability to display a version of RGB with an additional input card.

edit, and yeah what they said, lol

Katsu Curry

Jan 28, 2018
I'm not familiar with that model but based on the picture, Composite (RCA to BNC adapters on Video A & B) and S-Video (Y/C on Video B) are your only two options. PS2 and GCN OEM S-video cables would be the way to go. SNES S-video cables are pretty easy to come by (just avoid any that include the yellow composite plug because they're not really S-Video cables). Genesis is a little different, I think it needs to be modded for S-video and it's composite is terrible. My only experience is with my OG model 1 though.

Spend some time researching here: https://www.retrorgb.com/systems.html

All of that said, there is that covered blank section above the inputs that may indicate an ability to display a version of RGB with an additional input card.

edit, and yeah what they said, lol
Thank you ! 😊

dubc35

Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
S-Video looks crazy good on these. You could start with that. Or start spending and buy an RGB card and cables. I would just start with a few games in S-Video and see how you like this new CRT lifestyle.
Truth. S-Video looks so unbelievably good on them. You can feel free to get component/RGB to optimize for its own sake, but once I saw S-video on my JVC, I thought, “This is it.” Exactly how I always wanted my PS1/2 games to look.

Ogs

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what the cause of this is on a CRT ? Essentially any bright areas cause it to "bleed" all the way to the right. Hopefully this photo shows what im getting at -