Retro AV Thread |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and More

angelgrievous

Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Is a 9" JVC TM-R9U worth $65? Is it worth anything? Too small? Not a good screen? I've been wanting to get a pro monitor for awhile but 9" seems too small.

thanks.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Is a 9" JVC TM-R9U worth $65? Is it worth anything? Too small? Not a good screen? I've been wanting to get a pro monitor for awhile but 9" seems too small.
Looks like its composite only which isn't great and at 9" you've got to sit really close to it, so I'd say you'd be better of with a good consumer TV with component/rgb inputs.
That said small monitors do have a bunch of advantages like wieght, size, sharpness, etc, and some people really like them, so don't let me put you off if it appeals to you.

angelgrievous

Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Looks like its composite only which isn't great and at 9" you've got to sit really close to it, so I'd say you'd be better of with a good consumer TV with component/rgb inputs.
That said small monitors do have a bunch of advantages like wieght, size, sharpness, etc, and some people really like them, so don't let me put you off if it appeals to you.
thanks. looks like I'll pass on it. I'd rather spend the money and get something good than save a few bucks and sacrifice better quality video.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Ok, I bought a PSIO from Stone Age Gamer one year ago, I installed the switch board in my console last years and it didn't work. I couldn't install another switch board on another console until now, and only NOW I have the confirmation that my cart may be faulty.

Do you think is there any chance Cyberdyne could replace my cart?
Here where I am we have 2-years warrantry on every good, but I don't know how much I am covered under US (in case of Stone Age Gamer) or Australia (in case of Cyberdyne) law.

I am willing to pay to have it repaired, if that costs me less than a new cart.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I bought a PSIO from Stone Age Gamer one year ago, I installed the switch board in my console last years and it didn't work. I couldn't install another switch board on another console until now, and only NOW I have the confirmation that my cart may be faulty.

Do you think is there any chance Cyberdyne could replace my cart?
Here where I am we have 2-years warrantry on every good, but I don't know how much I am covered under US (in case of Stone Age Gamer) or Australia (in case of Cyberdyne) law.

I am willing to pay to have it repaired, if that costs me less than a new cart.
Australian consumer law should definitely have you covered if you live in Australia and purchased the product from Australia. Things get more complicated if you imported the product. It’s not clear from you post what the country of purchase is and the country of coverage.

If you had the product serviced in Australia and it’s now faulty, you may be covered by consumer law even if you purchased from another country.

Manufacturer or seller warranties are in addition to their requirements under consumer law, but you might wish to ask about those first.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
So turned out that after all of that it was just the damn OSSC low pass filter not being enabled. Not sure why it isn't set to auto by default but yeah, that could have saved us a lot of headaches.

But now, several months later, my N64 has the Arthrimus RGB mod based on Borti's design installed and it looks amazing going into my OSSC at 4x out to my 4K Samsung TV.

NyMartin90

Oct 31, 2017
I just made a PC to connect to my BVM-20F1U using an ArcadeVGA5000 and VGA HD15 to BNC with T connector for sync.

I installed Windows 10 and the drivers, ran the monitor setup, and I get picture but it seems its not scaled correctly.
The max resolution from the ArcadeVGA (via the mini icon) is 640x240 and the Windows 10 doesn't let me scale it below 100%. The scaling is too much for me to really install anything but man do videos look amazing on it.

I included a pic to help. Any ideas on how to get it fit properly?

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Are upscalers worth it for a Wii used with LCD?
I haven't got a Wii, so I could be dead wrong on this, but the rest of the internet advises installing an expensive hdmi mod or using a blurry and laggy (but cheap) Wii hdmi converter, so I might as well offer my unfounded opinion, which is... it depends.

The Wii can output 240p/480i/480p over component, which can all be handled by the OSSC, but it doesn't do much to improve 480i and not all LCDs are compatible with the signals produced by OSSC (output is HDMI, but signal varies depending on the source and the output config).

That said it is likely to be an improvement over your TVs upscaling and would be worth getting if you've got any other consoles that you can use with it.

Finally its worth mentioning that a design for a Pro version of the OSSC was released that has a bunch of improvements, although this doesn't appear to be in production anywhere and would be between several months or never for release.

Astral/H3X

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii Dual really is amazing, but it is either very expensive, or somewhat expensive and requiring really good soldering skill. I was able to install it in mine, but I don't think it's easy enough to recommend to anyone who isn't very comfortable with a soldering iron.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I had this weird thing while playing my Saturn where black elements of the screen would ghost. I thought it was a weird analog problem. It wasn't; It's my TV and it's showing up with the PC Engine Mini. God damn it. They don't make TVs with component on the back here anymore, not that I can afford one right now. : (

It's not terrible, and it doesn't cause my eyes to go out of focus like the PSP 1000's more pervasive ghosting issue, but ... : (

Could this be a sign it's dying?

*I turned all features off and it still happens.