• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
WORK IN PROGRESS

Welcome to the Retro AV thread, here to help you get the best picture quality out of your retro consoles. Using a CRT? A framemeister to a modern LCD? Or maybe an OSSC? We'll do our best to help you get the best image quality out of how ever you play your classic systems.

Quick note I will be updating this OT in the coming days but I wanted to get something up quickly. I figured it would be good to start with a crash course on Analog video Signals. I plan on adding sections for Upscalers (framemeister, ossc), and for CRTs. Along with touching on FPGA and HDMI mods.

Crash course in analog video signals and quality

RF (Radio frequency modulation): This is at the very bottom of the quality ladder. This takes all your audio and video signals, modulates them into a radio frequency and sends them down a single wire. Lots of artifacts like color bleed occur, dot crawl and others. It's just an overall poor quality signal.

Composite Video: A slight step above RF, this still jams all of your video signals down one line but the audio is separated out, and we're not modulating into a radio frequency any more. You still get artifacts like color bleed and dot crawl from this, with an overall blurry picture, but its a step up from RF.

S-Video: Now we're starting to get some where. S-Video separates the video signal into two parts. You have the luminance (or the black and white part of the picture), and you have the chrominance (the color part of the picture, both saturation and hue). With sync being carried along on the luma line. This is a giant step over composite video, and some feel the biggest leap as you move up in quality. On a really high quality CRT you may be happy with just S-Video. Though color resolution takes a little bit of a hit here, compared to what we have coming next.

Component video: This was the best analog signal standard US TVs ever saw. Technically component video can mean any video signal that has been broken out into its separate components but here we're specifically talking about the YPbPr standard. The YPbPr standard breaks the video signal into 3 parts. Here we see luminance being used again (the Y), the difference between blue and luma (the Pb) and the difference between red and luma (the Pr). With sync again riding along with its buddy luminance. I should note here that YPbPr is analog and the digital equivalent would be YCbCr. YPbPr offers enough separation that no color multiplexing is needed and the quality of the image should be nearly identical to the source. This offers fantastic picture quality, with none of the artifacts or flaws seen in the first 3 standards. It's almost identical to RGB.

RGB Video: RGB is a type of component video, but its not the component video we think of in the US when some one says component video. Not available on consumer CRTs in the US, professional models, Computer Monitors, and Consumer grade CRTs in Europe and Japan all have different ways of accepting RGB Video. With RGB your video signal is being broken out into it's most basic components, Red, Green, and Blue. Sync here can be a bit more complicated. You can carry sync on the composite video line, a Luma line, on it's own composite sync line (combing the horizontal and vertical syncs) or Horizontal and Vertical each getting their own line (like with VGA). I believe some devices even support sync on green. This is the signal at it's purest, no conversions, no modulating, just the pure image signal as it was created.

Let's talk about sync baby. As you've seen sync can be carried to devices in a couple of different ways, and depending on how it gets there it can cause some visual issues. For most consumer level devices, (computer monitors being the big exception) they want the horizontal and vertical syncs combined. A sync on composite signal (this is sync traveling along with composite video) in a not properly shielded cable can cause an almost dithered or checkerboard pattern to appear, specially in sections of solid color. This should not happen with sync on luma (sync travelling with the luma signal). The ideal is composite sync (not the same as sync on composite) also known as c-sync, or pure sync. This is where the Horizontal and Vertical sync signals travel on their own line. Some devices need to be modded for c-sync or have issues with c-sync, and sync on luma in these cases would do you fine.

A quick mention on resolution. It should be noted that RF, Composite Video, and S-Video all top out at 240p/480i resolution. With RGB and Component being able to support resolutions higher than this. Limitations on resolution output using RGB or Component is going to be based on individual devices.

Let's talk connectors for a moment. How do you connect these different signals to your TV, Upscaler, etc. RF uses the old coaxial connector. Like what your cable internet or cable tv comes over.

know-your-home-2-1fg0ec6.jpg

Composite video, and Component video use standard RCA connectors. Yes even though the signal and quality is vastly different both are sent over RCA connectors. Which is also typical for audio signals being paired with Composite Video, S-Video, and Component Video. The color of the cable end doesn't matter. A yellow cable can send a composite video signal or it can send the Pr signal of component video, or the left audio signal.

615ujGIba8L._SY355_.jpg

A quick note about D terminal, in Japan the standard for sending a YPbPr signal became the D terminal connector instead of on RCA cables. I bring this up because the Framemeister uses a D-Terminal connector, and if you plan on using it with your RCA style component connectors, you will need an adapter.

Connettore_D-Terminal.jpg

And a note about BNC connectors. You'll find these on professional video equipment, so like PVMs and BVMs. They can carry a variety of signals, and the easiest way to think of them is professional RCA connectors. Though it does go a bit beyond that. For basic info purposes though that should work.

BNCM-RCAF.jpg

S-Video has it's own connector it is a little 4 pin din connector. This carries ground and the split video signal.

S-video-connection1.jpg

SCART and JP21. Both of these connectors can carry a wide array of signals. They are both 21 pin connectors, and in some ways think of them as the HDMI connector of the analog world. They do have different pin outs so DO NOT mix JP21 and SCART, pick one standard and stick with it for everything. While SCART and JP21 can carry RGB, just because a cable is SCART or JP21 doesn't mean it's an RGB cable. These could be composite video or s-video cables as well. One of the really nice things about these connector standards is that using one connector can connector your video lines, sync, and audio. You may be saying hey that kind of sounds like RF, but it is very different. In SCART and JP21 each of those signals is given their own line to ride down, vs all being combined into 1 wire. When buying SCART or JP21 cables, you want to make sure you know what you're buying. Like I said a SCART cable can be RGB, Composite Video, or S-Video, and it could be c-sync, sync on luma, or sync on composite.

SCART has kind of become the RGB standard in retro gaming. Its much easier to find switches, and other devices using SCART vs JP21.

scartcon.jpg

Awhile back I made a chart showing the info for as many systems as I could and what was the best video signal they supported both stock and modded.

29836229170_2fda868b0f_o.jpg

I need to include some updates to it and hopefully I can get to that in the next few days and then I'll replace this image, but it should give you a rough idea.

Other resources

Where can I get some awesome cables for my systems? Are there any recommended sellers?
You're in luck as there are a couple good places to order from online.

For RGB cables
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ A UK based seller, that does ship internationally

https://retro-access.com/ This is the US seller that used to be retro_console_accessories on ebay.

Component cables for older consoles

HDRetrovision makes a great line of cables that convert the RGB signal to component, YPbPr.

http://www.hdretrovision.com/

What about further material for learning about this.

There are some great resources out there for learning more about this stuff.
http://retrorgb.com/ Is a fantastic website with even more of this info, and Bob also does a weekly retro roundup on his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLPIbBCKVH2uKGm5C4sOkew?&ab_channel=RetroRGB

You also have My Life in Gaming's youtube channel, and specifically their RGB Masterclass videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpvtp7mH0Cdq8FQUxcjDq0Q?&ab_channel=MyLifeinGaming

A good video about Luma and Chroma from Displaced Gamers.

youtu.be

Intro to Chroma: From RGB to Component Video

How does Luma relate to Chroma? How does RGB relate to Y'PbPr? How do B'-Y' and R'-Y' form PbPr? Previous videos in this series - Analog Luma - A History and...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Upscalers

Framemeister FAQ

Q:What is the Framemeister?

A:The Framemeister is an upscaling device focused on upscaling the 240p signal coming from most retro video game consoles. Since it's built around handling 240p content it does a better job of upscaling the signal than most modern TVs do. Specially since many modern tvs see the 240p signal as 480i and handle it incorrectly.

Q:How much lag does the framemeister add?

A:In general the Framemeister adds about 16ms of lag, or about 1 frame at 60FPS.

Q:What inputs does the Framemeister support?

A: On the back of the system you have 2 HDMI ins, and the D-Sub (component) in with its two stereo audio ins. On the front of the system you have Composite and S-Video. These share a stereo audio input. You also have the mini din that supports RGB and Stereo Audio.

Q:What outputs does the Framemeister support?

A:The Framemeister only outputs through HDMI.

Q:Ummm how do I get RGB into that little din on the front?

A:You need either a JP21 or Euro SCART to Framemeister Adaptor

Q:Well where do I get one of those?

A:You can now order your Framemeister with either adaptor, or you can buy one from either http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ or http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories

Q: So I've decided to get a Framemeister, where the hell do I buy one of these from?

A: Your best choice is Solaris Japan. https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft/XRGB this is USUALLY the most affordable option. They have bundles that include component to D-Sub adaptors and they now have versions that ship with either JP21 or Euro SCART adaptors.

Q:MY FRAMEMEISTER IS HERE!!! Ohh uhh wait everything is in Japanese, even the controller, WHAT DO I DO??!!!

A: Ok the first thing you want to do is grab the latest firmware from Micomsoft's website and update your Framemeister to both the latest version and the English one. You can find that here http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini_download.htm . For the controller both http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ and a variety of Ebay sellers, sell English overlay stickers for the controller.

Q:Awesomesauce!........but how do I update my Framemeister's firmware?

A: You'll want to take the file you downloaded and unzip it directly onto a microSD card. Don't extract it into an XRGBmini folder, let the folders sit directly in the root of your microSD card. It should have the following folders EDID, EEPData, invdata, and Update. With your Framemeister unplugged, insert the SD card in the slot on the back. Plug the Framemeister in now, and you'll see the lights on the front of it flashing back and forth. (green lights will flash, red light will stay on) when the lights are done flashing and only the red stand-bye light is on your Framemeister will be done updating. Now you can power it on and you'll have the latest firmware and it'll be in English!

Q: Great, now that it's updated, and I have an English overlay, how do I make my games look good and what are all these options?

A: So I would love to go over every option here with you BUT that would take too long. So I will point you to some great info already out there. JunkerHQ has a fantastic wiki up that covers a lot of the options found in the framemeister, and gives them some explanations. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB-mini_FRAMEMEISTER To really make your games sing with it, you'll want to start using Profiles for each individual system (sometimes more than one per system). The youtube creator ImplantGames also has a fantastic How To: XRGB-Mini Framemeister series that goes over a lot of the functions and options and general how to use the system. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4ngkmg51Bea36_jKwc8cjf7fCVunV6MR

Q:What's a Profile?

A: A profile is a file saved on the SD card of your Framemeister that saves settings for all of its options that you can load before you play a game.

Q:Wow that's awesome but there's so many options, is there anyway I can download profiles that others have made?

A:Absolutely. FirebrandX has a website dedicated to Framemeister profiles. He includes both 4x and 5x integer scale profiles focused on getting the most accurate output at 1080p. http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html ImplantGames' How to XRGB-Mini series also includes profiles for systems. These you will have to enter and save yourself but a nice alternative to Firebrandx's Profiles. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4ngkmg51Bea36_jKwc8cjf7fCVunV6MR

Q:Where should I put these profiles on my SD card?

A:You want to put your profile files into the EEPData folder on your Framemeister's SD card. It should be noted that the Framemeister will only recognize up to 20 profiles in this folder. I use enough profiles that they all won't fit one one sd card. I went ahead and made 2 profile cards for my framemeister. It should be noted that after switching sd cards you need to unplug the power, wait a few seconds, and then plug the framemesiter back in.

Q:How do I load up one of these profiles?

A:Bring up the Framemeister's menu and scroll down to Data, enter that brand and pick Load, now select the profile you want to load and you're set. You will see also Load_Select, but this only Loads some of the settings, others like your Zoom setting will not be loaded, it's best to go with Load.

Last edited:

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Oh thank god.

I had this thread subbed at the other place because it contained a wealth of knowledge collected over a long period of time. Thought all that was lost in the transition.

So glad to see it here.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you're happy it's here : ). I plan on trying to bring over as much info as I can, and expand on some things. It's just going to take a bit of time, as there is A LOT of info to get up here.

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
gonna be a long wait for my OSSC since Mexico's postal service is ass, hope I can see more updates from Royal Mail tho... anyways, gonna keep an eye here to see more tips on its usage and share my experiences when it arrives

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I was reading the console list. I can confirm that the Genesis 3 can output RGB without the need of a mod. Looks amazing, too bad it's mono audio only. Allegedly there are only two revisions of the console, the rest are bootlegs. Maybe the bootlegs require to be modded?

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the OSSC does some one who has really good working knowledge of one want to put together a FAQ list for this thread? Something that helps people understand what it can and can't do, some of its different modes, and getting settings right for consoles.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I am getting the Analogue Mini today! So fricking excited.

A few questions for those who are using the Jailbreak. Do you have to add Bios on all compatible consoles? I notice most of the cores are already there in the folder, but you gotta add bios in addition?

I suppose this doesnt have to be ready at first as I am primarly thinking of using it as a NES device, but I like to play with options. Is also Famicom Disc system roms supported?

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Got my OSSC today, kick in the nadgers to learn my Dreamcast VGA cable I ordered for testing is a load of crap (outputs a blue image) BUT I got my modded PAL MD working at a point that I'm happy enough. Turns out my SNES power supply gave up during our move too so fuck it order MORE stuff.

Spent a good four hours tinkering. The endless tinkering.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yess, I'm so glad this thread is back. I need CRT photos in my life again. I think the original version is what got me to join in the first place!

I have a question: I picked up a PVM 14M4J about a week ago. It was going well with my Super Famicom through S-Video (just while I wait for my SCART cable!) but now I'm having issues. The other day, I was getting a sync issue where the picture wasn't displaying correctly. I managed to solve this by upping the H frequency in the service menu - I guess it was too far to the left and thus losing sync. It happened again today, but unfortunately the H frequency can't exceed 255 so I can't fix it! It's stuck this way. Is there anything I can do or do I just need to find someone local who can repair it?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this thread return! I finally got an RGB modded AV Famicom this week and it has reinvigorated my interest in the system. Dot crawl and dull colours on my favourite 8bit machine are finally a thing of the past.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Sup people!

Been busy with a few things since I left GAF over a year ago. Set up a blog to document my mods and retro stuff: http://richretro.wordpress.com/

Got to the stage now where I'm confident enough with my modding to do the NESRGB with ease and other such things. Saved me loads of money. I've also ordered a Super NT! It'll be nice to see just how it stacks up against my RGB SFC Jr/OSSC combo. I've decided against the risk of carrying out the 5v resistor mod on the PPU so there's still a tiny amount of blur.

I've got back onto the CRT/PVM train too. I got a JVC h1950cg for £25 on ebay, a model without RGB input without a card. As the cards cost a ludicrous amount, I simply built my own and added a SCART input on the back:

img_20170722_135122.jpg

img_20170723_040730.jpg

Image quality is absolutely stunning:

pGRwthZ.jpg

TpyX3wC.jpg

8PaxJnu.jpg

VTIqbne.jpg

Tjyb70S.jpg

BMRQdsi.jpg

tPN4A1l.jpg

Last edited:

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Rich
That looks delicious. Beautiful captures! I wish I had the driving license, because then I would scavenge the country for some spin destroying CRTs. The sad thing is my family got rid some amazing Sony Trititons we used to have. I guess it will be a few years before I can use a CRT, for now it is upscalers and FPGA products.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
So as an inbetween I bought myself a cheapo cheapo non-brand VGA box to tide myself over. I'm plugging it into my OSSC and seems to do the job so far but I'm rather tempted by a Hanzo eventually. Or do I go the full way and get an Akura when they show up again?

I'm still learning about this shit hah.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Rich
That looks delicious. Beautiful captures! I wish I had the driving license, because then I would scavenge the country for some spin destroying CRTs. The sad thing is my family got rid some amazing Sony Trititons we used to have. I guess it will be a few years before I can use a CRT, for now it is upscalers and FPGA products.

Thanks! And it's never too late to find a CRT....but then again, it's at the point where they're getting less and less essential. If it were not for the luck of finding this JVC, I'd happily continue with just my OSSC. Having both is great though!

And where's the 240p photo thread? I'd set one up myself but I can't post threads for another 60 days! :/

I've got a whole bunch of these shots of my CRT to share, but I don't want to take up the whole thread! heh. This is my RGB modded AV Famicom on it:

dsc_0336g5u8v.jpg

Last edited:

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So these Packapunch cables that Retro Gaming Cables do are these actually worth the premium?, as i have the standard cables from Retro Gaming Cables for my SNES, NES, MegaDrive, PSX, PCE and the video quality seems good enough cant see any interference or the like

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So i have a Hantarex CT 28 EQ Monitor and notice that at the very top of the screen there is a Blue, Green and Red line that run across the screen....

image.php

they are only noticeable on a black or dark background but are there all the time during gaming, now i can adjust the screen height so there not visible but i kind want to know whats causing them and if it can be fixed, anyone know??

Last edited:

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
So these Packapunch cables that Retro Gaming Cables do are these actually worth the premium?, as i have the standard cables from Retro Gaming Cables for my SNES, NES, MegaDrive, PSX, PCE and the video quality seems good enough cant see any interference or the like

I'd say no. I bought a saturn one which turned out to be faulty (red line was not connected properly) and had to send it back. Got a standard saturn csync one instead from him...and the quality was exactly the same, aside from it working properly of course.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i have a Hantarex CT 28 EQ Monitor and notice that at the very top of the screen there is a Blue, Green and Red line that run across the screen....

they are only noticeable on a black or dark background but are there all the time during gaming, now i can adjust the screen height so there not visible but i kind want to know whats causing them and if it can be fixed, anyone know??
hey Lettuce, the image you posted doesn't show (or has issues appearing) as ERA is having issues with imgur that they're trying to resolve according to the mods. they recommend using abload for the time being.

but if it's what you're describing, they're normal and see them on several BVM 's PVMS i have if i use underscan.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! And it's never too late to find a CRT....but then again, it's at the point where they're getting less and less essential. If it were not for the luck of finding this JVC, I'd happily continue with just my OSSC. Having both is great though!

Yeah thats right, but I do need extra space and someone who can drive for me!

Mmhmm yeah the alternatives on modern displays are getting places but I would love to relive childhood memories and be able to use light guns again. Living in Norway with Japanese consoles can become quite the hunt to find the best suitable 60hz tv. PVMs are getting more expensive and have to show up in the wild, but I hope to catch one sometime.

It is pretty awesome that you're can mod and fix things yourself.

Thanks for sharing more amazing pictures. Keep it going as it is nice to drool over.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say no. I bought a saturn one which turned out to be faulty (red line was not connected properly) and had to send it back. Got a standard saturn csync one instead from him...and the quality was exactly the same, aside from it working properly of course.

Good to know!

hey Lettuce, the image you posted doesn't show (or has issues appearing) as ERA is having issues with imgur that they're trying to resolve according to the mods. they recommend using abload for the time being.

but if it's what you're describing, they're normal and see them on several BVM 's PVMS i have if i use underscan.

Thanks, have changed the host

Last edited:

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
In! lurked the old thread since around early 2015. learned a lot from you nice folks, jumped down the rabbit hole now own around 10 retro consoles i think and 3 pvms. ;)

llaannccee

Oct 28, 2017
Very close to buying a Framemeister been wanting one for years. But backed out when entering my credit card info. I don't want to order it and six months down the line a Framemeister 2 is announced.

Anyway got a new laser for my playstation 1 coming next week yay.

Oct 27, 2017
I gave in and preordered the Super NT.

I've got a 1-chip SNES and a Framemeister, but I've been wanting something more plug and play.

Speaking of which, does anyone have experience with those PS2 and Wii to HDMI adapters? I'm curious if the PS2 ones work with PS1 games, and I'm also curious if the Wii one converts from composite or component video. My mom still regularly plays Animal Crossing on her Wii, and I'd hate for her to give it up simply because the TV she's planning on getting doesn't have component inputs.

Producer

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for a dreamcast svideo cable? Im seeing several on ebay and amazon but not sure which is good

Kanjiology

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Very close to buying a Framemeister been wanting one for years. But backed out when entering my credit card info. I don't want to order it and six months down the line a Framemeister 2 is announced.

Anyway got a new laser for my playstation 1 coming next week yay.
I feel the same way about the Framemeister, I keep hearing rumors about it being discontinued and the prices are getting higher and higher. Definitely something I want to get though.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way about the Framemeister, I keep hearing rumors about it being discontinued and the prices are getting higher and higher. Definitely something I want to get though.

If you're buying a Framemeister get it from Solaris Japan. They're the official place to get a framemeister from and the price is the same, it only adjusts for the exchange rate.

exo

Oct 28, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Greetings, all! I have a PVM-8041Q, which I use to play my SNES.
rNv6qjWl.jpg

7abkR6Sl.jpg

I also have a 28" RCA component CRT for all my other retro gaming needs. The PVM is just the right height to meet my eye level at my desk, I love the little baby so much.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

The image quality is going to be exactly the same. You want to go with a packapunch if you have a lot of interference. The difference between the regular cables and the packapunch line is just that the packapunch is fully shielded. Which you may or may not need. If you're not experiencing any audio buzzing, or other signs of interference than you have no need to go fully shielded.

Kanjiology

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Greetings, all! I have a PVM-8041Q, which I use to play my SNES.
rNv6qjWl.jpg

7abkR6Sl.jpg

I also have a 28" RCA component CRT for all my other retro gaming needs. The PVM is just the right height to meet my eye level at my desk, I love the little baby so much.
Looks great, looks like my PVM. Do you have a remote compatible with your PVM? I wasn't sure if you could use a universal remote with it. I also recommend getting some speakers for your PVM if it only has mono sound, I bought some computer speakers for mine and they work great. I use my PVM for any systems that are already RGB compatible without any mods, and ones that are not with a CRT with S-Video (N64, NES, Gamecube).

exo

Oct 28, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Looks great, looks like my PVM. Do you have a remote compatible with your PVM? I wasn't sure if you could use a universal remote with it. I also recommend getting some speakers for your PVM if it only has mono sound, I bought some computer speakers for mine and they work great. I use my PVM for any systems that are already RGB compatible without any mods, and ones that are not with a CRT with S-Video (N64, NES, Gamecube).

I don't have a remote for it, sadly. I have an RCA to 3.5mm jack and use headphones when I play, and it's glorious.

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
In! lurked the old thread since around early 2015. learned a lot from you nice folks, jumped down the rabbit hole now own around 10 retro consoles i think and 3 pvms. ;)

Same here. I never got approved on the other site (which at this point its probably for the best) but i always checked in on you guys just about everyday :D

Nice to finally be a part of the conversation

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I added a Framemeister FAQ to the top of the thread, if some one with an OSSC could maybe type up something similar and PM me that I can get it included at the top of the thread. I do plan on adding info on CRTs, PVMs, and BVMs, I just haven't had time this week to write something up. Also if anyone knows anything about popular 8 bit computers and their best video output that would be a nice addition to the thread as well.

Kanjiology

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
If you're buying a Framemeister get it from Solaris Japan. They're the official place to get a framemeister from and the price is the same, it only adjusts for the exchange rate.

I added a Framemeister FAQ to the top of the thread, if some one with an OSSC could maybe type up something similar and PM me that I can get it included at the top of the thread. I do plan on adding info on CRTs, PVMs, and BVMs, I just haven't had time this week to write something up. Also if anyone knows anything about popular 8 bit computers and their best video output that would be a nice addition to the thread as well.
Awesome thanks for adding information about the Framemeister, I'll check out Solaris Japan.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Just got confirmation that my OSSC will be shipped tomorrow. Now I just need to get an RGB cable for my GameCube.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Anyone know anything about Ikegami monitors?
I'm looking at an HTM-1550CS with RGB, but the seller's listed it as missing the remote, and as far as I can tell there are no buttons on the monitor for settings.
Am I wrong?

Edit: I am not wrong. Asked the guy and you can't change settings without the remote. There goes my chance to replace my busted PVM :(
I might just bite the bullet and shell out for a BVM. What kind of price am I looking at for a 14"?
Alternately there's a PVM-D14 that is actually tested going for about $200. Worth it?

Last edited: